Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

The Grey Wolverine

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:I would personally say the Elder Scrolls is best RPG, but they're getting a bit worn out.
I agree, morrowind was such a great game, and the best in the series, and Oblivion was alright, Skyrim on the other hand, is kinda brain dead simple, its just boring now a days, I miss the older games.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I liked the Elder SCroll series for the same reason i liked Ultima ~ Lots of roleplaying value.

Marrying and cooking were just one of those odd things I liked to do as a sidejob. I'm the Dragonborne? Save The World? Sure! Just let me retire in peace and happiness after I kill this monster and OH LOOK! I'M COOKING FOOD WITH APRONS WITH MY LOVELY ARGONIAN WIFE NOW! ^____________________________________^
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Why spending money and time on a videogame in which you cook with aprons and marrying a lovely argonian wife, when you can do all of that in real life?
......mostly....
All the good argonians maidens argon!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

.......(eye twitch's)........help...me....it...did...this...to...me...(falls over)
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
Mickey the Luxray wrote:I would personally say the Elder Scrolls is best RPG, but they're getting a bit worn out.
I agree, morrowind was such a great game, and the best in the series, and Oblivion was alright, Skyrim on the other hand, is kinda brain dead simple, its just boring now a days, I miss the older games.
That's because most of us gamers want to easily kill hundreds- no, thousands- no, millions of video game characters in droves, giving us the illusion of being gods!
I'm surprised you don't relate to this taste in games.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Problem with Skyrim is that there isn't a million people to kill :c

But there are BUNNIES. Lots of bunnies. There's even a stat to tell you how many you've killed. Zach would probably faint twice if he ever saw someone play Skyrim.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
The Grey Wolverine

Silly Zealot wrote:I'm surprised you don't relate to this taste in games.
Why do you say that? I play Western RPGs so I can make a character, explore places, and just have some fun with it, I don't want to kill millions of characters to feel like a god
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Duster

Post by Duster »

But you have to hand it to Bethesda for Making Skyrim look so pretty. Morrowind and Oblivion look half baked compared to the level of detail that they managed to put into Skyrim.
Of course due to the extra attention to detail and several other issues that comes with making gigantic Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim felt like it was lacking some of the more important story telling/ immersive properties that they invested in when they made Morrowind.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Mickey the Luxray

Now that they have the detail down, though, the next game can most definitely focus on story, and it will be a KILLER game. I hope it's in Elsweyr. Living among a bunch of Khajiit... I'd never murder anyone without reason! Ever!
The Grey Wolverine

Duster wrote:
But you have to hand it to Bethesda for Making Skyrim look so pretty. Morrowind and Oblivion look half baked compared to the level of detail that they managed to put into Skyrim.
Of course due to the extra attention to detail and several other issues that comes with making gigantic Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim felt like it was lacking some of the more important story telling/ immersive properties that they invested in when they made Morrowind.
Graphics are not important in any way, I will take Morrowind for its depth and setting over Skyrim any day, and besides, its a western RPG, the main story isn't the biggest focus, which isn't a bad thing, I like it as long as it has good side content, and Skyrim has some really good side content.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I only played Oblivion, though my brother got Skyrim. Overall, I loved the game, but there were three things that bothered me:
1) Once you cleared a cave or dungeon, it got repopulated after three in-game days, which made it hard to keep track of which I had already visited and also made me feel I wasn't acomplishing anything, no matter how many creatures I killed. That never happened when I was playing Fallout 3.
2) The fragility of all the inhabitants. Some characters got killed by random monsters, or were very easy to harm, which made me feel worried and stressed, fearing that each time I left a character, I would later find their body by the side of the road.
3) The game was way too big for my tastes. I want an action-packed, inmersive and straighforward game with lots of opponents, super plot-twists at every turn, and lots of explosions. Not one where you have to make several playthrough to see all the possible choices and outcomes. And I also don't want an open-ended world that involves lots of walking and is filled with random hostile encounters, THAT'S WHAT REAL LIFE IS FOR!!
Mickey the Luxray wrote:Now that they have the detail down, though, the next game can most definitely focus on story, and it will be a KILLER game. I hope it's in Elsweyr. Living among a bunch of Khajiit... I'd never murder anyone without reason! Ever!
I always wondered what reaction refering to an anthropomorphic animal character as "a hybrid beastman" to their face would cause.
Besides, the doggy-people of the continent of Rokoocoo (which I just invented) will invade Elsweyr and chase the Khajiit to the top of their tallest trees.

Duster

Post by Duster »

I'd love it if somehow Bethesda could incorporate Akavir or some other continent in the next edition of The Elder Scolls games! Not saying that there isn't plenty of possible story content in Tamriel, just that they are slowly running out of provinces to make new games in. Maybe a new race could be introduced or perhaps out of the blue the Dwemer could make a return. I for one would also fully support a remake of Morrowind, assuming that it doesn't fall short of being as good as the 1st one.
also . . .
The Grey Wolverine

Well, if they just updated Morrowind's looks, that would be amazing. Ad on another note, if the Dwemer come back, I will quit. They left to another dimension for a pretty good reason, I don't think they would come back just because, that is more annoying to me then them just changing the way religions work JUST BECAUSE. The Nords had a religion based around a dragon, they rejected the 9, its just annoying that they suddenly care so much about freaking Talos, who was not from Skyrim, when in even Oblivion, Nords reject the ways of the Imperial's religion. Also, they don't believe in marriage in the way with the church of Mara, in fact I will always remember a Nord in Oblivion who told me that she isn't married, but stays with a man in the old Nord way, like her pa. I just don't like big changes like this honestly.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Well, if they just updated Morrowind's looks, that would be amazing. Ad on another note, if the Dwemer come back, I will quit. They left to another dimension for a pretty good reason, I don't think they would come back just because, that is more annoying to me then them just changing the way religions work JUST BECAUSE. The Nords had a religion based around a dragon, they rejected the 9, its just annoying that they suddenly care so much about freaking Talos, who was not from Skyrim, when in even Oblivion, Nords reject the ways of the Imperial's religion. Also, they don't believe in marriage in the way with the church of Mara, in fact I will always remember a Nord in Oblivion who told me that she isn't married, but stays with a man in the old Nord way, like her pa. I just don't like big changes like this honestly.
Yeah, we all hate retcons.
I must point out something: The dwemer disappeared without a trace, but nobody knows why or where, or if they even went somewhere at all, or simply ceased to be.

The Grey Wolverine

In the Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, the last Dwemer is still around, and tells you what happened. He has been trying to back to his people ever since they left, and did something in exchange for immortality, its been a while okay, he tells that the Dwemer left to another dimension, and he needs you to help him out. It was interesting.
Mickey the Luxray

Silly Zealot wrote:
Mickey the Luxray wrote:Now that they have the detail down, though, the next game can most definitely focus on story, and it will be a KILLER game. I hope it's in Elsweyr. Living among a bunch of Khajiit... I'd never murder anyone without reason! Ever!
I always wondered what reaction refering to an anthropomorphic animal character as "a hybrid beastman" to their face would cause.
Besides, the doggy-people of the continent of Rokoocoo (which I just invented) will invade Elsweyr and chase the Khajiit to the top of their tallest trees.
Except Elsweyr is a moorland, and so there are no trees... just hills.

Primitive guns would be nice to see in the next TES. Cannons? Sure, why not?
Duster

Post by Duster »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:
Except Elsweyr is a moorland, and so there are no trees... just hills.

Primitive guns would be nice to see in the next TES. Cannons? Sure, why not?
Not necessarily, Elsweyr is supposedly dominated by jungles in the south and rugged desert/canyon/scrub land to the north. Which always struck me as fairly odd because the provinces around Elsweyr are fairly verdant and lush.

I like The Elderscrolls series if y'all couldn't tell already. Y'know, just saying.
also . . .
Mickey the Luxray

Maybe there's a weak spot in their ozone layer above Elsweyr. Lets in some more heat, turns verdant hills into dry scrubland. Either that or there's some sort of extended El Nino going on over there 8l

Also, south Elsweyr kinda sounds like it's an extension of the Black Marsh. Maybe that's why the Khajiit and Argonians fought so much.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

I can't sleep, so I decided to pull up Star Fox 64 on my computer and give it another go. Turned out to be my best run yet. It's nothing too great and isn't on any higher difficulties, but it's my highest score ever at 1050. Full left path run. I normally never do those cuz I always bug up on Sector Y getting to Aquas. Somehow I did it, though, and I actually made it through Aquas only dying once (normally, I die a lot, and lose all my lives. X3). If there's one thing I don't like about the Left path, it's Sector Z. It's soooooooooo boring and easy, really not worthy to be on the left path. Macbeth is insanely more fun due to causing that train to ram into the supply depot, and I do enjoy using the Landmaster there. I only got 69 points at Sector Z, which means if I went to Macbeth, I could've possibly gotten over 1100 score.

Ah well. Still fun. What I find funny, though, is that Falco got owned (mostly by me...) quite a few times, and actually fully had to dock at Area 6 pretty early on. Come Venom and the fight with Star Wolf, Peppy fell next (from full health), leaving Slippy of all pilots as the only surviving teammate at the end. Also notable was that Pigma nearly wasted me as the last Star Wolf enemy left. It was very annoying hearing him spout "You can't beat me! I have a better ship!" every time I hit him...

Andross' brain. I thank the stars I didn't get caught in his brain tendrils. I kept my Hyper lasers the entire fight, but I still have no idea what to do sans running out of bounds when he hugs your tail. Freakin' annoying brain... Almost blew myself up a few times escaping too. ^^;

Fun nostalgia bomb. Though it may just be me, but does the ending of the credits song sound vaguely similar to that of Ocarina of Time's ending of the credits song? It just has that same "Bum Bummmmm" sound like bells near the end. Or I could just be crazy and hearing things.

Time to try and go back to sleep.

---

On a side note, has anyone heard of/played a game called "MegaMan Legends" (or MegaMan 64. I know it from the N64 port. Legends is on the PS1). Also, is PSX synonymous with PS1? X3
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I played Megaman Legends a very lot on my PS1. So much detail in the game. Loved fighting Teisel Bonne and Bruno.

EDIT: Finally got time to finish playing the Walking Dead on my computer.

I never cried for a videogame for such a long time. Since Suikoden 2. Poor Clementine ;_;
Reconstruction

Post by Reconstruction »

As far as I can recall one of my favorite game was the L4D series, Im sure there's someone with me on that one right?
I'm also pretty big on playing TeamFortress 2, I play it almost every day with my favorite class being the spy, pulling an Ambassador on a sniper halfway across the map and making him rage with the fact I just shot him in the face for a critical hit, lol ^_^
I'm a fairly interesting person once you get to know me, but seeing as nobody can successfully navigate my minefield I guess they'll never truly know.
Mickey the Luxray

I agree, sometimes I surprise myself with the amount of headshots I get with my Ambassador. Of course it doesn't do that much damage so usually have to shoot them at least four times to get a kill.
But the Full-Speed Distraction loadout (Baby-Face's Blaster, Holy Mackerel and something else) for the Scout might be my most anticipated loadout. From what I've heard the best strategy to use with that loadout is to NOT try to kill everyone you see, but rather get yourself up to speed and then make hit-and-runs to the point where your opponents are forced to abort the current thing that they are doing so that they can retrieve a health-kit (or an ammo pack if they've been trying to kill you), basically becoming an epic nuisance. I've yet to find a Baby-Face's Blaster OR a Holy Mackerel at this point, though, so I can't vouch for that myself.
The Grey Wolverine

The best strategy as Scout is to not try and kill everyone, just annoy them, and whittle their health down enough, or draw them out to a firefight, at least from my experience.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:The best strategy as Scout is to not try and kill everyone, just annoy them, and whittle their health down enough, or draw them out to a firefight, at least from my experience.
My strategy with scout is: Jump and run, shoot at stuff and try to get an achievement until I get killed. Respawn. Repeat.

Aside from jumping and running, I have the same strategy for most of the other classes.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Bleh. Been playing fighting games for awhile, but I finally decided it's not worth playing them right now. 9th lord in UMvC3 and my hands hurt just playing matches. Might go for one-on-one games from now on.
Reconstruction

Post by Reconstruction »

Silly Zealot wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:The best strategy as Scout is to not try and kill everyone, just annoy them, and whittle their health down enough, or draw them out to a firefight, at least from my experience.
My strategy with scout is: Jump and run, shoot at stuff and try to get an achievement until I get killed. Respawn. Repeat.

Aside from jumping and running, I have the same strategy for most of the other classes.
Fun loudout for Scout is BFB (Baby Face Blaster) full boost with a Bonk! Atomic Punch active, you can seriously irritate aimbot snipers or hackers, without taking damage ^_^

...Just dont jump.
I'm a fairly interesting person once you get to know me, but seeing as nobody can successfully navigate my minefield I guess they'll never truly know.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Just bought "Luigi's Mansion 2" today :mrgreen: . Pretty funny game so far. Smooth gameplay, nice locations and entertaining puzzles... and lots of nostalgia :D (12 years since the gamecube's release... How time flies!)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What a coincidence; I just finished it today! I beat the game 2 days ago but I just got the last gems and boos today. :3

It's really fun, though I don't like how punctuated the gameplay is. I don't like how it's separated into missions. It takes away from the scary environment, and it also kinda forces the chunks of gameplay you do into discrete amounts rather than a continuous game you play until you wanna stop.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Sleet wrote: It's really fun, though I don't like how punctuated the gameplay is. I don't like how it's separated into missions. It takes away from the scary environment, and it also kinda forces the chunks of gameplay you do into discrete amounts rather than a continuous game you play until you wanna stop.
Well, four years ago, I would have totally agreed with you. But since I (unfortunately) don't have too much time for videogames anymore, I'm really happy for these hop-on hop-off missions where you can just play for 15-30 minutes and then turn the game off... (*sigh*, there is so little time... and so much to do :? )
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could hop off the first Luigi's Mansion too if you want! They just didn't give blatant stopping points that take you out of the scary atmosphere every time, whether you like it or not.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I found this just yesterday and thought I'd share it
http://www.moddb.com/games/stealer
It's a sci-fi indie game called Stealer
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Shadow of the Eternals Headed to Wii U, PC
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/03/ ... o-wii-u-pc

Yay! Eternal Darkness was one of my favourite gamecube-games. :D
ImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Is this a rude moment to interrupt and ask if anyone has played the Warframe beta?

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's on-topic so it's not interrupting. And no, I haven't.
Hukley wrote:Eternal Darkness Spiritual Successor Shadow of the Eternals Headed to Wii U, PC
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/03/ ... o-wii-u-pc

Yay! Eternal Darkness was one of my favourite gamecube-games. :D
I might need to try that!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

The metroid series was pretty good too, some games are relatively easy whilst others are stupidly difficult. To anybody who beat the original, I salute you.
Also how about Zelda? Games like wind waker, majoras mask and ocarina of time were the highlights of my childhood.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Mickey the Luxray

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Also how about Zelda? Games like wind waker, majoras mask and ocarina of time were the highlights of my childhood.
I've only played Wind Waker out of the three (never owned an N64, and I chose to leave the last one I saw, at a garage sale... hey, I was looking for something else, okay?)
I do love dilly-dallying around on Windfall Island, buying all the totem poles and sticking them into the little places scattered around the island. And the pigs. And sailing.

That game is fun. Once I beat RRT4 I should get back to that one.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

On windwaker, I have no idea why people love that game so much. I grew bored once I realised you have to sail oh so often. Same reason I disliked spirit tracks. Take the sailing away, and it was a fun game. If not that, have a map in plain sight like in phantom hourglass. Make it look like you're always going somewhere, heh.

All this being said, ocarina of time <3
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Here's a test for all the old-timeys here on the forums: Remember CarnEvil? :twisted:
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

TinFoilHats wrote:Here's a test for all the old-timeys here on the forums: Remember CarnEvil? :twisted:
I never got to play that game, but I saw the arcade at several shopping centres! :)

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Spirit tracks is very similar in locational setting to majoras mask, I have no issue with sailing or riding a train, but those flutes on spirit tracks irritate me. I just cant play the 4th song. Wind waker was fun when you went sailing, I just bombard enemies with a cannon a lot. Also Ocarina of time is available on DS and on the gamecube special edition of Wink Waker that I have, making it much faster and more fun to control. :D fantastic game. Lots of other things in it to talk about, but so little time and too much effort to do so...

I digress, I never got Carnevil although it did sound good. I was a bit busy with resident evil at the time and oh good dog the licker... the original was maddening but was very good for such an old game we would now consider to have poor graphics.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+