2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

Post by Dissension »

[ Tactical Retreat ]

Title Text: Pete, why do you sometimes take that weird horse-like shape?

Aside from the fact it looks cool, ya mean? = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

Post by Obbl »

Ah, Pete. World's greatest troll :twisted:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So does that mean that Pete will have to live a mortals lifetime now?

Even in this situation, it's a little funny for Pete to pull the "give hope and crush it" trick.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well this is how he does it (because as I said threatening to ruin the wedding was the only card Pete had) this is how he gets him as an Avatar. However this kind of brings up a bit of a plot hole, why in the world didn't he just do this months ago? King already proposed he was going to get married, why bother waiting.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Dramatic Timing ;)
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

I think everyone is expecting this to happen, the question is how will it happen.
This was somewhat unexpected but is still expected of Pete. XD
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Mommy's all right
Daddy's all right
They just seem a little weird

Surrender
Surrender
But don't give yourself away
ImageImage
ImageImage
Duster

Post by Duster »

IceKitsune wrote:Well this is how he does it (because as I said threatening to ruin the wedding was the only card Pete had) this is how he gets him as an Avatar. However this kind of brings up a bit of a plot hole, why in the world didn't he just do this months ago? King already proposed he was going to get married, why bother waiting.
You bring up a valid point, I also thought Pete would go for the more dramatic route. This way seems a little too straightforward to me, buut then again sometimes the best solutions are the simplest. (albeit blunt, but simple)
So now the real question is will King go back to being Joel or will King play along and begrudgingly aid Pete?
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Duster wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Well this is how he does it (because as I said threatening to ruin the wedding was the only card Pete had) this is how he gets him as an Avatar. However this kind of brings up a bit of a plot hole, why in the world didn't he just do this months ago? King already proposed he was going to get married, why bother waiting.
You bring up a valid point, I also thought Pete would go for the more dramatic route. This way seems a little too straightforward to me, buut then again sometimes the best solutions are the simplest. (albeit blunt, but simple)
So now the real question is will King go back to being Joel or will King play along and begrudgingly aid Pete?
He'll aid Pete because the other answer is completely out of character at this point.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The closer he got to Bailey, the harder it is to say otherwise.

Pete was waiting for the peek point to do it since he knows now what King's answer will be. If he done it sooner, King would have at least a way to easen the burden. But now that it's King's wedding day, how can he easen the burden for Bailey at this point? Pete's using Bailey as a bargaining chip.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

Not sure if King is surprised, or he farted...
Image "LOOK, IT'S ROCK AND ROLL!"
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

No! Bad Pete! Stop ruining the happiest day of King's dog life!
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Duster

Post by Duster »

IceKitsune wrote:
Duster wrote:
He'll aid Pete because the other answer is completely out of character at this point.
We'll see, you're probably right however.
Somehow I always think in the back of my head that Rick will pull the rug out under our feet, ya know surprise us with something out of left field.
Hehe...guess I am over thinking this a little too much?
Last edited by Duster on Wed May 22, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Gren

Post by Gren »

I don't buy it. Rick is just messing with us. I seriously doubt he'll change King back to Joel (though I think it would be priceless if Joel ends up being Pete's owner in his mortal form X3)
Maybe because this way King is under the pressure of the imminent wedding and also he's assured that Dragon will not intervene.
ImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Gren wrote:I don't buy it. Rick is just messing with us. I seriously doubt he'll change King back to Joel (though I think it would be priceless if Joel ends up being Pete's owner in his mortal form X3)
of course he won't change King back, this is Pete saying that if King doesn't agree to be his avatar, he quits the game and Joel comes back. It's an ultimatum, one King will likely give in to in order to be with Bailey.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

GameCobra wrote:
The closer he got to Bailey, the harder it is to say otherwise.

Pete was waiting for the peek point to do it since he knows now what King's answer will be. If he done it sooner, King would have at least a way to easen the burden. But now that it's King's wedding day, how can he easen the burden for Bailey at this point? Pete's using Bailey as a bargaining chip.
People leave their spouses on their wedding day all the time, so its not like that makes his answer anymore likely to be yes to Pete. Even if he had come to him a hour after he proposed to Bailey he still would have had the exact same bargaining chip anyway.
Gren wrote:
Maybe because this way King is under the pressure of the imminent wedding and also he's assured that Dragon will not intervene.
Dragon is not less likely intervene here then she would have months ago. Pete could have made the same type of pressure by saying if King didn't give him an answer in X amount of seconds he would forfeit and change him back right then.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Mortals can be quite unpredictable, their choices and fate are not written already. That's why there's a risk factor in picking your avatar and there's a back-up choice.
And right now, of all times in King's life, THIS is the moment to choose. THIS is the moment between truly wanting what he had built and going back to an empty existence where the only 'positive' thing would be belonging to humankind.
And Pete's choice of words couldn't be better in this context: he knows what King really wants, and as I said in the previous thread, he is offering him a quid pro quo. After all, Kingy boy, you owe the griffin!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh dear. This is gonna get serious. XP
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Some Guy

Post by Some Guy »

Wow, Pete. Wow! This kinda seems risky, though. Pete must care less about winning than messing with King.
EveningPen

Post by EveningPen »

Wow Pete, putting King in this position. That's cruel, even for you. :evil:
And all this, for some game he refuses to lose? Shameful.
Vuk91

Post by Vuk91 »

That was unforeseen indeed.
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

Oh Pete, that's a very twisted way of getting King to be your avatar. You've basically forced him so he has to say yes.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
EveningPen

Post by EveningPen »

Lifio13 wrote:Oh Pete, that's a very twisted way of getting King to be your avatar. You've basically forced him so he has to say yes.
Don't worry. Pete will get his, Karma doesn't discriminate even amongst the Gods.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Now I wonder, even if King say "yes" now, there's something guaranteeing that he will remain as a dog after the duel and not be "reversed"? Besides, there's still the chance that the duel be a deathmatch and he be killed. So...
ImageImage
EveningPen

Post by EveningPen »

Gren wrote:Now I wonder, even if King say "yes" now, there's something guaranteeing that he will remain as a dog after the duel and not be "reversed"? Besides, there's still the chance that the duel be a deathmatch and he be killed. So...
Can you explain this thought of yours in a bit more detail please?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

he's wondering if, because King changes back if Pete surrenders, will he stay a dog when the game is over? does the spell break specifically when he gives up or is it when the game's over?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Pete: you either love him or hate him; but we have to agree, he´s very clever
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Gren

Post by Gren »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:will he stay a dog when the game is over? does the spell break specifically when he gives up or is it when the game's over?
Exactly, there is no assurance that King will be a dog after the duel is over even if he accept to be his avatar. And since there's still the possibility of die in the duel, choose to be human now is not as bad as it seems.
Vuk91 wrote:That was unforeseen indeed.
I suppose you're being sarcastic, because I foresaw this since the end of "the trial in heaven" arc.
ImageImage
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

I don't know about you guys, but I for one would rather King stay the way he is and not change back to his human self. His current life seems to be WAY better than his last.
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D
Foxirus

Post by Foxirus »

Those of you hating on Pete really have no grounds to do so. If it were not for Pete none of this happiness would be possible for King. Pete has actually turned King's life around for the better and now King sorta owes Pete.

I do believe that here and now, King needs to make a deal with Pete: "Win or lose, If I become your avatar for this little game of yours, I get to remain in a dog's life should I choose to do so". He should then extend his tiny paw out to Pete and simply say "Deal?".
valerio

Post by valerio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:he's wondering if, because King changes back if Pete surrenders, will he stay a dog when the game is over? does the spell break specifically when he gives up or is it when the game's over?
In theory, the spell should automatically reverse with the end of the Game, independently from the results...BUT, Kitsune granted a boon to King, and it's a safe bet that it's about King being able to choose to stay a dog. And since HP is due to go on, it's also a safe bet that such plot device will be used later on.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Adorable.....and yet so sinister! o.o Best of luck to you King! You'll need it! >w<
gameangel147

Post by gameangel147 »

I was afraid this might happen! AHHHHH! The suspense is too much! Pete! Why must you make jokes at a time like this even though you have to because each strip needs its own joke but still!!!!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

valerio wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:he's wondering if, because King changes back if Pete surrenders, will he stay a dog when the game is over? does the spell break specifically when he gives up or is it when the game's over?
In theory, the spell should automatically reverse with the end of the Game, independently from the results...BUT, Kitsune granted a boon to King, and it's a safe bet that it's about King being able to choose to stay a dog. And since HP is due to go on, it's also a safe bet that such plot device will be used later on.
Wait a minute, if Pete quits the game is over and Joel gets a boon from Kitsune at the end of the game; so he could use that to turn himself back into King for good. So yeah Pete is actually a complete moron here. If King is smart about this (which I'm gonna guess hes sadly not going to be because hes very likely going to panic) Pete will have just completely and utterly screwed himself over here.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Except we don't know what the prize is.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yeah, the boon has already been decided, we just don't know what it is. That's how I read it, at least.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

What's this "boon"?
Let's all get along. =D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:Except we don't know what the prize is.
A boon can be a favor something asked for that is given.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

RioluNation wrote:What's this "boon"?
Kitsune pretty much promised King that something good would come to him, both soon (which could be his recent happiness) and at the end of the game (information of which was intentionally withheld from King). At the moment, it's still up for speculation.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

Well then, I bid King good luck.
Let's all get along. =D