2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote: Uh, what this have to do with what I said before? I've said he's the only one who should be worried about the "body change" thing, because he's one of the few who are conscious about the game and the one who has been changed against the natural order. What you say is most likely true, but that doesn't prevent Pete or whatever other nerd to turn him back to human after the duel have finished.
That's true whether he'd been "changed against the natural order". Pete's got a grudge against him, but he'd have just as much of a grudge against him if he was a regular HP! dog who was stubborn about being an Avatar.

If Pete turns him back, it's because he's a jerk, and turning him back is not in any sense benevolent. He's not simply warning King about the consequences of his surrender.
When you quote something about RL and don't say anything about Housepets, then how can you expect to everyone understand your point?
Um, fox yokai (commonly if a little inaccurately referred to as kitsune in English) are not "RL".
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gren

Post by Gren »

Argent wrote:That's true whether he'd been "changed against the natural order". Pete's got a grudge against him, but he'd have just as much of a grudge against him if he was a regular HP! dog who was stubborn about being an Avatar.

If Pete turns him back, it's because he's a jerk, and turning him back is not in any sense benevolent. He's not simply warning King about the consequences of his surrender.
So are you saying that to be benevolent he should wait until King dies to continue the duel? Since demi-gods experience time subjectively, I suppose he shouldn't mind, but again, as he said, his only way to win is with King, so he have no choice than make King suffer. However, he could be considered benevolent if after the duel he grants to King a huge reward for passing so much pain.
Um, fox yokai (commonly if a little inaccurately referred to as kitsune in English) are not "RL".
Yeah, but you said "Meanwhile, in Japan, they're still wondering why it's a big deal..." after the comment of RioluNation "Humans and dogs are equals. We treat dogs kindly, they treat us kindly back.". Then you was implicitly talking about RL. :roll:
ImageImage
Draj

Post by Draj »

Gren wrote: And I'm not ignoring mythology, but it seems you are confusing it with "legal rights".
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/09/ ... -employee/

If Tanuki are japaneese citizens, it stands to reason Kitsune would be as well. Which means those "mythical" marrages would be perfectly legal in the country they took place in.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Draj wrote:
Gren wrote: And I'm not ignoring mythology, but it seems you are confusing it with "legal rights".
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/09/ ... -employee/

If Tanuki are japaneese citizens, it stands to reason Kitsune would be as well. Which means those "mythical" marrages would be perfectly legal in the country they took place in.
Oh, now I think I get the point.
ImageImage
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

You know, I KNEW there was a reason I disliked that griffin. He needs to leave King alone.

This can't happen again. Oh, please.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

I was waiting for this to happen.

I don't get why people would want this arc to end - Pete is fun, and let's face it, King is one of the best characters in the comic (possibly THE best character in the comic). Ending the arc takes something rather big away from him. I LIKE Pete manipulating things. I don't want it to be all Pete, all the time, but it is FUN having him show up and set things on fire every once in a while.

I guessed this would happen though, as did a fair number of people - Pete has King between a rock and a hard place here.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Gren wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:Yea gren your starting to sound a bit spicist, even in OUR world. Anyone can tell that my cat is just as smart, if not smarter then, my family. He's up to something........

Though seriously how screwed up must this worlds politics be for *goes off on long rant*
??? I don't even know what are you saying, I am just being realistic. Animals in OUR world are not considered at the same level as humans and are not treated the same way. EVERYONE should know that. Even in HP! world they're not considered equals by humans, so I don't see in what part I am lying. If they (being capable of reasoning, and some of them even having better physical skills than humans) weren't considered equals through thousands of years of history, then it have to be a reason.
1). I don't recall saying you were lying about anything.
2). Your wording made it sound like you were one of those guys who thinks humans are awesome and any thing else is less important than a piece of dirt.
3). I can't think of ANY reason (short of somebody from the future showing them bino which made them treat cats and dogs like this) for them to be treated like this if they have been like this for a long time. It's one of the things that can spawn long thread-derailing arguments like the one we're having right now.
4). WHY THE FUDGE DO YOU CHANGE YOUR AVATAR SO OFTEN!?!?!?!?!?!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote:
Argent wrote:That's true whether he'd been "changed against the natural order". Pete's got a grudge against him, but he'd have just as much of a grudge against him if he was a regular HP! dog who was stubborn about being an Avatar.

So are you saying that to be benevolent he should wait until King dies to continue the duel?
You're still assuming he's telling the truth.
Yeah, but you said "Meanwhile, in Japan, they're still wondering why it's a big deal..." after the comment of RioluNation "Humans and dogs are equals. We treat dogs kindly, they treat us kindly back.". Then you was implicitly talking about RL. :roll:
The speaker implies. The listener infers. You inferred that I was commenting on a specific post ... even though I didn't quote that post ... rather than on the thread. I didn't imply anything.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Guys, seriously, drop it.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Dissension wrote:Guys, seriously, drop it.
I keep thinking that yet I keep doing it myself. It's interesting when you realize that no matter how much you hate it when other people won't stop arguing about what the like, eventually you'll be doing the exact same thing. But what do I know. I just a thirteen year old with a transformers obsession.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Gren wrote:
MiloxLuna wrote:know that i think about it, it is not a dog-human relationship. as long as king stays as a dog, he is considered a dog, there for, it is not taboo at all. if and when he turns human, then it's taboo. (sorry to cut it short, my class ended)
Well, he's only a dog in appearance, but inside he's still human. He born as human, he was raised as human, he think as human, and he can't ignore his own conscience.
I think it falls on King's choice here. If I recall correctly, his soul is in complete limbo since this all started for him, and it was suppose to stay that way till he chooses for himself if he's a human or a dog. I mean, wasn't that the issue for him for a short time after the incident with heaven.
skulbaka

Post by skulbaka »

Come on King, remember what Kitsune said

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/07/1 ... ts-not-so/

The reward that is "coming soon" was obviously Bailey, so then there are other rewards if you continue to play the game. That, and you're much better as a dog, so as much as it stinks: GO WITH PETE!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Legotron123 wrote:1). I don't recall saying you were lying about anything.
2). Your wording made it sound like you were one of those guys who thinks humans are awesome and any thing else is less important than a piece of dirt.
3). I can't think of ANY reason (short of somebody from the future showing them bino which made them treat cats and dogs like this) for them to be treated like this if they have been like this for a long time. It's one of the things that can spawn long thread-derailing arguments like the one we're having right now.
1) I know, but you was accusing me as if I was inventing something.
2)Listen guys, I'm neutral about everything, and I was just saying how the things are, not if I was for or against. I understand your points of views, and I don't have anything against it, but if you don't want to accept reality is your problem.
3) ??? Treated like what? They're treated like pets, not as slaves, they are not being tortured (though of course, that depends of the owner, but since this is also applicable to humans, it doesn't have sense to discuss it).
4) It's automatic. And why? because it's cool and I like it.
Argent wrote:You're still assuming he's telling the truth.
I'm not assuming anything, that's why I asked you. However, I really doubt he could be lying, but it's most likely he's hiding part of the truth.
The speaker implies. The listener infers. You inferred that I was commenting on a specific post ... even though I didn't quote that post ... rather than on the thread. I didn't imply anything.
I said before that I get it now. Draj was kind enough to explain me your point. Why you want to argue about everything? even when I was trying to soften the conversation...
pokeblue wrote:I think it falls on King's choice here. If I recall correctly, his soul is in complete limbo since this all started for him, and it was suppose to stay that way till he chooses for himself if he's a human or a dog. I mean, wasn't that the issue for him for a short time after the incident with heaven.
I quote myself to answer you:
Gren wrote: Even if Sabrina has said that the place of his soul depends on his decision of being a dog or a human, that didn't mean that he have the power to go against the nerds if they want to change him back. At the end it will always depend on them.
skulbaka wrote:Come on King, remember what Kitsune said

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/07/1 ... ts-not-so/

The reward that is "coming soon" was obviously Bailey, so then there are other rewards if you continue to play the game. That, and you're much better as a dog, so as much as it stinks: GO WITH PETE!
And... I quote myself again:
Gren wrote:Even if that happens, why you assumes that the boon have to do with stay as a dog? Maybe Kitsune could grant him a better life as human, erasing his prison sentence and give to him the possibility to fix things with Fox and conserve his friendship.
Gren wrote:I always had the theory that the nerds can alter the fate of mortals. Dragon used this resort to put Peanut, Grape and Fido in relationships in order to prevent Pete to make them his avatar. And now I think Pete is doing something similar. I think he's altering the fate of Fox and Bailey, using them to convince King to accept to be his avatar and later he will use it again to make him suffer and then make him a more powerful avatar.
ImageImage
TarnishedSteel

Post by TarnishedSteel »

The chances of anyone reading this if I don't post A) first or B) with a response to someone else are low. At the same time, I've little desire to get caught up in a debate with anyone in specific, save perhaps with Rick which we all know is under the category of Not Going to Happen.
So. To get this off my back, here it is:
1. This Was Going to Happen
King, as a main character, slides nicely into the Butt Monkey slot. Anything interesting that happens to him is usually negative for him, Bailey being the one (possible) exception. As such, anything good happening to our diminutive hero is, unfortunately, foreshadowing of something just as bad happening to him.
2. What Happens Next Seems Obvious
This story, or perhaps this similar framework, is something I have read before. Sadly, in fact, because unless Rick goes for the incredibly daring twist which would provide at least in my opinion a far, far better fit for the character, King is going to accept the deal. No ifs ands or buts about it, that is the path well trodden - don't get me wrong, it's a well respected path and a good one. But it's also one that doesn't agree with the character, and one that simply continues the drama and does not escalate it.

To elaborate, King as a character has displayed enormous depths, and this, perhaps, is what makes people like him so much. But if he turns down the deal, the current arc will have written itself into a corner. Avoiding the corner, i.e. King saying yes, would be proper writing, as it avoids plot-holes and (arguably) makes sense. But taking the corner and breaking the arc is, at least from my perspective, better writing. It takes a look at the expected, the mediocre, and the beaten path and decides to reject them and fly off the rails. But that's some nameless nobody's two cents. I'm sure Rick will deliver a satisfying story as he does every time, and hope it's one he's thought long and hard about. But then, it's only my opinion, and I'm looking forward to this revelation either way.
Themeister1

Post by Themeister1 »

Rhymes with surrender..... Hmmmmm......... I got nuthin'. :?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Themeister1 wrote:Rhymes with surrender..... Hmmmmm......... I got nuthin'. :?
yah I know right ! Can't think of anything either , and in context wouldn't "surrender" be the right word too ?
Ponjos

Post by Ponjos »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Apols for the gratuitous Doctor Who quote at the end of this rhyme. I felt it fitted.

So here they stand, within the church,
and Pete appears from afar
Will King leave Bailey in the lurch
or become Pete's Avatar?

He's never considered victory
this pensive little guy
he's never considered the cost
of King going 'bye-bye'

He now sees the full retail price,
the price he has to pay
to stay as King would be nice
he may want pups one day...

Joel's now truly happy as King
and doesn't want to go back
as bailey is the thing
keeping him on the right track.

Winning was always his way
to return home as Joel
But now he's given his say
that's no longer his goal.

Perhaps he needs to think in
terms a Doctor might use:-
as it was said:- "To lose is to win,
and he who win's shall lose” (Rassilon – The Five Doctors)
I joined the forum today specifically so I could tell you this poem is awesome. :D

Ponjos - Reader since Joey's Insanity Plea.
A useful guide to BB Code is here.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Pete just loves towering over the little guy... :roll:

Those are great Pete expressions.... soon Diss will begin using them.

Well, this was expected. I wonder if Bailey will be allowed in on the decision making process... it is their wedding after all.... and is the Welshman coming back? You know, Pete's disguise...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

copper wrote:Pete just loves towering over the little guy... :roll:

Well, this was expected. I wonder if Bailey will be allowed in on the decision making process... it is their wedding after all.... and is the Welshman coming back? You know, Pete's disguise...
I doubt that the Welshman disguise is coming back. Dragon doesn't use one with Tarot she just seems to be able to possess her at times.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

copper wrote:.... and is the Welshman coming back? You know, Pete's disguise...
Honestly, not sure if it would be allowed under the rules of their game, but I did expect the Welshman disguise to run in and shout "I OBJECT!" and King would beg for the sanctuary he asked for from Keene from when he was first included in Keene's program at the end of the Dog Days of Summer arc
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Doesn't Pete have too long ears for a cat?
And now I wonder if the "I" in the name of the arc was about Pete and not of Bailey.
ImageImage
PURRfect93

Post by PURRfect93 »

Gren wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:will he stay a dog when the game is over? does the spell break specifically when he gives up or is it when the game's over?
Exactly, there is no assurance that King will be a dog after the duel is over even if he accept to be his avatar. And since there's still the possibility of die in the duel, choose to be human now is not as bad as it seems.
Vuk91 wrote:That was unforeseen indeed.
I suppose you're being sarcastic, because I foresaw this since the end of "the trial in heaven" arc.

Ok, i only read the first page, but i hafta say, if you thro the 'fate watch' into this, youll remember that king actually can choose to stay king :o

When he was told it was a piece of his fate, he was also told that when he decided to either stay a dog or return to being a human, they could retrieve it.

Although now that im typing it, im thinking that his choice now technicaly counts as picking a path :/

Hmmmm....

Also, hi ^^ im new .3.
IceKitsune wrote:
copper wrote:Pete just loves towering over the little guy... :roll:

I doubt that the Welshman disguise is coming back. Dragon doesn't use one with Tarot she just seems to be able to possess her at times.

Tarror is her avatar though, thus she can possess her. Pete cant possess king. Yet .3.

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. If you need to add new information to a thread and yours is the most recent comment, you may use the edit button in its upper-right corner.
Gren

Post by Gren »

PURRfect93 wrote:Ok, i only read the first page, but i hafta say, if you thro the 'fate watch' into this, youll remember that king actually can choose to stay king :o

When he was told it was a piece of his fate, he was also told that when he decided to either stay a dog or return to being a human, they could retrieve it.

Although now that im typing it, im thinking that his choice now technicaly counts as picking a path :/

Hmmmm....

Also, hi ^^ im new .3.
Hi Purrfect, and welcome to the forum. :D

To answer you, I re-quote myself (again):
Gren wrote: Even if Sabrina has said that the place of his soul depends on his decision of being a dog or a human, that didn't mean that he have the power to go against the nerds if they want to change him back. At the end it will always depend on them.
PURRfect93 wrote:Tarror is her avatar though, thus she can possess her. Pete cant possess king. Yet .3.
It's not possession, it's a rule of the game that avatar and master have to share the same body. If King accept to be Pete's avatar, then they'll have to share King's body.
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Gren wrote:Doesn't Pete have too long ears for a cat?
Pete's not a cat.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Cashuea

Post by Cashuea »

Well, i do not see how the ends anything... :? Again, i think rick is going to kill off king; which would suck big time. That or if king accepts, ends in a 'immediate' Deathmatch ageist tarot. On the night of the wedding even! If this does not show pete as a truly evil and malicious character, nothing will.

Nerd my tail, he's from heck itself.
PURRfect93

Post by PURRfect93 »

Ah. But as far as the possesing, that more or less what i was getting at. The reason behind the welshman XD
Gren

Post by Gren »

Dissension wrote:
Gren wrote:Doesn't Pete have too long ears for a cat?
Pete's not a cat.
Since he's a griffin that means he IS half feline, and since eagles didn't have ears...
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yes, Pete is a gryphon. He has gryphon ears. Pete is not a cat, nor is he an eagle.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Gren wrote:I quote myself to answer you:
I would think that's just in his position as their pawn, and IF he lets them. Right now I'm thinking he's pretty much accepted his position, despite the fact he still thinks like a human, thus technically accepting, and now consenting to, his form as a dog. If my assumption is true, then changing him back against his will, even if it is back to his original species/form, would actually be against the rules since I believe Pete was actually dinged a while back for doing that to him in the first place. He'd have to re-accept being human to be changed back, even by Kitsune or Dragon.

Like I said though, that's just where my brain is right now. Either way, I'll just wait and see what happens, and maybe wait for a miracle. Maybe from Dragon, seeing I'm sure she has more than enough mana to do something.
Gren

Post by Gren »

pokeblue wrote:I would think that's just in his position as their pawn, and IF he lets them. Right now I'm thinking he's pretty much accepted his position, despite the fact he still thinks like a human, thus technically accepting, and now consenting to, his form as a dog. If my assumption is true, then changing him back against his will, even if it is back to his original species/form, would actually be against the rules since I believe Pete was actually dinged a while back for doing that to him in the first place. He'd have to re-accept being human to be changed back, even by Kitsune or Dragon.

Like I said though, that's just where my brain is right now. Either way, I'll just wait and see what happens, and maybe wait for a miracle. Maybe from Dragon, seeing I'm sure she has more than enough mana to do something.
Read the third panel of this strip.
His choice can be overridden if they consider it the best option, even if it goes against his will. Pete wasn't punished for turn him in a dog, but because he tricked him and forbid him to say his own name.
ImageImage
PURRfect93

Post by PURRfect93 »

Gren wrote: Read the third panel of this strip.
His choice can be overridden if they consider it the best option, even if it goes against his will. Pete wasn't punished for turn him in a dog, but because he tricked him and forbid him to say his own name.
Technicaly he overpowered his mind before asking :0 he locked his old name up and prevented him from saying it :0

So pete is still technically in the wrong .3.
VolkOseba

Post by VolkOseba »

I guess Joel is in possession of his own fate in more way than one now...
Vuk91

Post by Vuk91 »

[/quote]
I suppose you're being sarcastic, because I foresaw this since the end of "the trial in heaven" arc.[/quote]

Actually I just did not expect this to be cannon. And also I said 'prepare for unforeseen consequences' in the previous strip but i could not wait weeks to see reactions, so i had to say something right now. The really unforeseen consequences are coming when Pete obtains King as an avatar and wins the game. After all, It was Tarot who predicted Pete's freedom as the begining of the end.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Vuk91 wrote:
Gren wrote:
I suppose you're being sarcastic, because I foresaw this since the end of "the trial in heaven" arc.

Actually I just did not expect this to be cannon. And also I said 'prepare for unforeseen consequences' in the previous strip but i could not wait weeks to see reactions, so i had to say something right now. The really unforeseen consequences are coming when Pete obtains King as an avatar and wins the game. After all, It was Tarot who predicted Pete's freedom as the begining of the end.
Tarot was talking about the beginning of the end of the Nerds game. There isn't any grand consequence here, its just two Nerds fighting over a game of what is basically D&D by playing another game of D&D. The only really big consequence that could have been a problem would have been Pete forcing equality; and Keene put an end to that in Temple Crashers, so that doesn't matter anymore.
Ponjos

Post by Ponjos »

Silly Zealot wrote:Personally, I'm vouching for Gren's idea here.
Anyone wanting Pete losing the duel and becoming a pet parrakeet, say ayup!
"Ayup!"

Ponjos - Reader since Joey's Insanity Plea.
A useful guide to BB Code is here.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

And ... what if King accepts the deal ?

Im just saying, there is always the possibility ...
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gbr23 wrote:And ... what if King accepts the deal ?
King: "I challenge Tarot to an all or nothing battle... of arm wrestling!"
Pete: "But... you're a corgi, how could you possibly win?"
King: "Why didn't you think of that before you made me one?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

alternately
King: "She's a Pomeranian"
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Gren wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:1). I don't recall saying you were lying about anything.
1) I know, but you was accusing me as if I was inventing something.
2)Listen guys, I'm neutral about everything, and I was just saying how the things are, not if I was for or against. I understand your points of views, and I don't have anything against it, but if you don't want to accept reality is your problem.
3) ??? Treated like what? They're treated like pets, not as slaves, they are not being tortured (though of course, that depends of the owner, but since this is also applicable to humans, it doesn't have sense to discuss it).
4) It's automatic. And why? because it's cool and I like it.
1) just checking
2) I know you were just sounding arrogant about our spieces
3) that's what I'm talking about. They are every bit as smart and independent as humans but they are still treated as lesser. Granted given humanity's ego I can't imagine that we'd every treat another spieces as equal but the point still stands
4) that is cool. If I every get tired of my avatar I might try that.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Ponjos wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Apols for the gratuitous Doctor Who quote at the end of this rhyme. I felt it fitted.

So here they stand, within the church,
and Pete appears from afar
Will King leave Bailey in the lurch
or become Pete's Avatar?

He's never considered victory
this pensive little guy
he's never considered the cost
of King going 'bye-bye'

He now sees the full retail price,
the price he has to pay
to stay as King would be nice
he may want pups one day...

Joel's now truly happy as King
and doesn't want to go back
as bailey is the thing
keeping him on the right track.

Winning was always his way
to return home as Joel
But now he's given his say
that's no longer his goal.

Perhaps he needs to think in
terms a Doctor might use:-
as it was said:- "To lose is to win,
and he who win's shall lose” (Rassilon – The Five Doctors)
I joined the forum today specifically so I could tell you this poem is awesome. :D
Thank you very much. It's always good to be appreciated. Now... Join in the madness?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)