Realistic Deaths In TV Shows And Movies

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

snakebug

Realistic Deaths In TV Shows And Movies

Post by snakebug »

I noticed a lot of movies and tv shows always have a dramatic death scene.

They give a speech before they die and The person who watches them die gets angry, and goes for revenge.

Now, most of the time I would expect if someone got shot, they die instantly, and the other person would keep fighting, not having time to mourn.

Just thought about that and was wondering what some of you guys think about it.

(Sorry, needed to get that out of my head.)
In this world there are two types of people my friend.

Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

YOU DIG
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Re: Realistic Deaths In TV Shows And Movies

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Watch 'Downfall' if you want to see a powerful film about Nazi Germany. See 'The Departed' if you want to see a pretty awesome gangsta film. Both of them show fairly realistic deaths.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Full Metal Jacket.

Just...Full Metal Jacket.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I could recomend you several movies with real deaths, but I never got to watch them because they were dleted and banned pretty much worldwide.

You could also watch a National Geographic documentary about animal hunting habits.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Hah, I hate to break it to you, but most people don't die like they do in a Serbian Film :P . Most banned films are deleted due to sexual themes anyway nowadays, since our society is weird in that way. In all honesty, you can quite easily find real deaths on the internet somewhere.

On that note, 'The Cove' is a documentary that shows real footage of hundreds if not thousands of dolphins being slaughtered. It's an amazing movie, really worth watching. Best part, it's a pg-13 (kinda proving how much censorship sucks).
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

44R0NM10 wrote:On that note, 'The Cove' is a documentary that shows real footage of hundreds if not thousands of dolphins being slaughtered. It's an amazing movie, really worth watching. Best part, it's a pg-13 (kinda proving how much censorship sucks).
The day people gains an upper level of morality and decides to prohibit any and all depictions of death, real or fictional, outside of academical and philosophical studies, is the day I will go on rrrrrrrampage!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

44R0NM10 wrote:Hah, I hate to break it to you, but most people don't die like they do in a Serbian Film :P . Most banned films are deleted due to sexual themes anyway nowadays, since our society is weird in that way. In all honesty, you can quite easily find real deaths on the internet somewhere.

On that note, 'The Cove' is a documentary that shows real footage of hundreds if not thousands of dolphins being slaughtered. It's an amazing movie, really worth watching. Best part, it's a pg-13 (kinda proving how much censorship sucks).
and Cannibal Holocaust...

That's all...
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

One of the classic Doctor Who's 'The Caves of Androzani'. An important character, Major Salateen, is killed in battle with android rebels. There's no close in shot, and no reaction from the other main army character. The fight is still on , after that, the General leads his troops straight past without stopping for even a glance.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Quick question, how do you know how realistic a death is? When did you all become experts in "most true to life ways to die"?
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Well, I have seen somebody die before. He got electrocuted on a powerline and nobody even looked.

YOU DIG
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Quick question, how do you know how realistic a death is? When did you all become experts in "most true to life ways to die"?
I cannot claim to be an expert but, in TV terms, some deaths are more realistic than others. Take the contrast of the woman in blue and the soldier in this collection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-epXMv ... r_embedded To me hers is worse - but not the worst in that story where a businessman, once exterminated, turns and looks at his boss for two whole seconds before collapsing.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

snakebug wrote:Well, I have seen somebody die before. He got electrocuted on a powerline and nobody even looked.
I assume it was a bug or a bird...... I hope so, at least.

snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Well, I assumed he died, it was somebody working on the powerline.

If not he probably would be in the hospital for a year....

YOU DIG
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

That's enough of the talk of someone being (possibly) killed. This is a thread for talking about deaths in movies or TV shows. Talking about death in real life is a little different and some people may not want to hear about that.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Sorry...

YOU DIG
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

You guys should watch Game of Thrones. That's got some fairly realistic deaths in there in some places. Not in every placement admittedly, but in a fair amount that include actual battles.

When you're stabbed with a sword, you die. Amazing how many action movies don't understand that.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I would reccomend checking on the Walking Dead for more "believable" (sans the zombies and such) deaths, specially the comic, the summary of which I read on the official whiskypedia.

What seems to be more revolutionary to the zombie genre within the Walking Dead is not the emotional scaring and trauma the characters are mercilessly and sistematically subjected to, not the fact that they have to struggle to even get bullets, not been attacked by raiders and psychopaths who seek to take either resources or complete control of the inmedeate area, and not the fact that everyone who dies, for whatever reason, except having their brains severly damaged, becomes a zombie.
What makes it so new is that NO CHARACTER appears to have the "hero's shield", that prevents a character of relevance from dying. Every single one of the main characters, at least in the "comic" (for all the comedy it has), is already dead or physically scarred! It really makes you feel for the characters, and fear for their inmedeate future!

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

snakebug wrote:Now, most of the time I would expect if someone got shot, they die instantly, and the other person would keep fighting, not having time to mourn.
This is a false expectation. Gunshot injuries are rarely lethal; those that do result in death are typically due to exsanguination or penetrating trauma to multiple organ systems. Neither of those are instant killers and either can allow the injured party several minutes (or even hours, depending on rate of blood loss) of consciousness. Example: Boston bombing suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev received gunshots to the head and neck, among other injuries, and actively hid from police for at least 18 hours.
44R0NM10 wrote:When you're stabbed with a sword, you die. Amazing how many action movies don't understand that.
This also depends on location of injury and size of the blade. Stabbings, even with a sword, are not 100% lethal.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Pretty much the heart and the head are the only places you can instantly kill someone with a sword thrust. The common movie occurrence of getting stabbed in the gut is actually a very slow way to die.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:Pretty much the heart and the head are the only places you can instantly kill someone with a sword thrust. The common movie occurrence of getting stabbed in the gut is actually a very slow way to die.
Sleet knows this from personal experience, so you should listen to her.

yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Also since there are very few GoT episodes without head choppyness.
Sent from my conifer.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Roman Polanski's 'The Pianist' is a harrowing film; definitely worth a watch if you pride yourself on loving films.

On the other hand, Tarantino's 'Django Unchained' mixes naturalistic deaths with the outlandish. In the same vein as 'The Pianist', it takes a topic as is and makes a powerful film. For a movie Quentin directed, the amount of pathos (transition from humour to serious topic) is interesting.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

The Plague Dogs....

...'nuff said
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Other than being the first gore film and showing very bloody deaths, the film "Blood Feast" was considered shocking because the victims died with their eyes open. At the time it took censorship boards by complete surprise. They had standards involving profane language and nudity, but not for gore and violence of that level.

Mod Edit: You really aren't allowed to discuss gore. Sorry.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil