Do you like to draw?

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Rico

Do you like to draw?

Post by Rico »

I'm trying to get back into drawing as I haven't really done any since 2009. I've found that my iPad can be really useful for sketching using an app called Procreate. I then add colour layers and shading later in photoshop. My only gripe is that the iPad app Procreate isn't vector based so I feel pretty limited on print size when I come to touch it up later.

I was wondering what everyone else uses to do their artwork, and how many people have switched to digital? With so many talented artists on this forum, I thought it would be a good place for me to start.

I think I read somewhere that Rick uses Manga Studio ...
Last edited by Rico on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Tatsuo

Re: Do you like to draw? What software you you use (if any)?

Post by Tatsuo »

Ha I was gona make this thread but was afraid it was already made. Glad you made it=)
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Rico

Post by Rico »

After your hint in the Housepets Originals For Sale topic, I felt it had to be done!

Do like to sketch, Tatsuo?
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:After your hint in the Housepets Originals For Sale topic, I felt it had to be done!
=D
Rico wrote:Do like to sketch, Tatsuo?

Yeah I do. I'm learning from as many people as I can. Youtube to me is like college. You just type in what you want to learn and go. Right now I'm focusing on getting poses down. I'm still using the old pencil and paper though. I do plan on getting tablet soon. Was looking at getting either the Wacom create or Intuos5 small. I also just recently got both Adobe illustrator and photoshop.
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Tatsuo wrote:Was looking at getting either the Wacom create or Intuos5 small.
Typical, I just went to look up the tablets and now the Wacom site is just giving me Internal Server Errors! I've have a look later, as I may start thinking about getting a graphics tablet too.
Tatsuo wrote:Right now I'm focusing on getting poses down. I'm still using the old pencil and paper though.
Do you have a FA account, I'm really eager to see some of your sketches? I'm awful for sketching poses, I end up just finding a blank body base in a similar pose and working from that.

Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

For the sketching I use pencil and paper. Then I scan it. For the inkling and coloring I use Adobe photoshop CS6 and my Wacom Intuos 5.
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Rico

Post by Rico »

Thanks Hukley! I like pencil and paper sketches but I really don't get on with pencils (they hate me!)

Would you say a proper graphics tablet is the way to go for inking and colouring for digital stuff then? I've been able to take a look at the tablets now as the Wacom site is back up. What size do you have as there's quite a price jump between them? Have you ever thought "hmm, I could do with a bigger tablet"?

Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Rico wrote:Thanks Hukley! I like pencil and paper sketches but I really don't get on with pencils (they hate me!)

Would you say a proper graphics tablet is the way to go for inking and colouring for digital stuff then? I've been able to take a look at the tablets now as the Wacom site is back up. What size do you have as there's quite a price jump between them? Have you ever thought "hmm, I could do with a bigger tablet"?
I have a Wacom Intuos 5 M. It's just perfect for me... I think bigger wouldn't be better. ;)
I really love to do the inkling and coloring with a tablet. It feels so natural. (Especially for precision work). For big areas I also use the mouse. :)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote: Do you have a FA account, I'm really eager to see some of your sketches? I'm awful for sketching poses, I end up just finding a blank body base in a similar pose and working from that.

No I don't have a FA account. Was looking to make one on newgrounds though, but my sketches aren't crazy or anything. I've been following how to draw poses from DrawwithJazza on youtube. He's pretty cool.

Edit: Basically just start with a few stick figure poses doing something, from there you can get an idea of how the anatomy should look like.

Hukley wrote: I think bigger wouldn't be better. ;)
I think you're the second or third person I've heard that from. At first I wanted the Create for the size, but from what I read, a small tablet is big enough for almost any project. I'm assuming it's because of the zoom in features with all adobe programs. Don't know though. Also glad to hear someone else rave about the intuos5.
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Well since no one has posted anything... Holy crap! I just check out what Manga studio5 is and let me just say that I am completely shocked by what it looks like and what it can do. I was even more shocked by the price. It's only like $80 bucks and it looks so beautiful :'D Just check out this video from their main site: http://manga.smithmicro.com/manga-studio.html

And here I thought Adobe was the best for making comics and drawings. Shows how much I know =P. I plan on buying this right after I get my tablet. I'm serious.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Tatsuo wrote:I just check out what Manga studio5 is and let me just say that I am completely shocked by what it looks like and what it can do. I was even more shocked by the price. It's only like $80 bucks and it looks so beautiful :'D

Yeah, I had a look at Manga Studio after I read a post by Rick somewhere. I'm picking up a new Wacom tablet tomorrow and may look at getting this sometime shortly after. I've seen Manga Studio 4 bundled with Wacom tablets, but V5 seems like the one to get. I'm particularly interested in the vector layers and the body models!

Edit: I may be wrong as I can't seem the find any mention of Rick using manga Studio :( I was so sure I saw it on DA or FA in a comment somewhere, straight from the Furret. Apologies.

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:Yeah, I had a look at Manga Studio after I read a post by Rick somewhere. I'm picking up a new Wacom tablet tomorrow and may look at getting this sometime shortly after. I've seen Manga Studio 4 bundled with Wacom tablets, but V5 seems like the one to get. I'm particularly interested in the vector layers and the body models!

Oooh nice which tablet? A bundled package sounds nice, but for the price I'd rather spend the extra money and get V5 for the extras. I to have also heard Mr. Griffin using Manga Studios. I may have heard that from you from some where else, but I know it's not a program to turn your nose up at, so who knows. Whatever the program is, I bet he's using a Wacom. Probably something like a 22in Cintiq, which look awesome by the way.

Please, when you get a chance you gotta let me know how you like your tablet, whichever one you get. I'm kinda in between jobs sooo... bills sorta come first =P.
Last edited by Tatsuo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dissension

Re: Do you like to draw?

Post by Dissension »

It's been a little while since I've drawn digitally! I have a 4x6 Wacom Bamboo, from right after those replaced the Graphire line. I also have an IBM/Lenovo x60 convertible tablet PC. I use Photoshop CS for editing and image manipulation, mostly.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Rico

Post by Rico »

Dissension wrote:It's been a little while since I've drawn digitally!
Is that because you're too busy or just prefer the physical medium?
Dissension wrote:I have a 4x6 Wacom Bamboo, from right after those replaced the Graphire line. I also have an IBM/Lenovo x60 convertible tablet PC.
I just picked up a Wacom tablet today and to be honest I think I still prefer my iPad's touch screen :P

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:I just picked up a Wacom tablet today and to be honest I think I still prefer my iPad's touch screen :P
Which one did you get? Give it some time man. Every youtube vid I've seen talking about tablets have said it could take up to a week to get use to. I for one know I'm going to love one for the simple fact that your not limited to space e.g. a sketch pad. You just used an app on your ipad for doodling right? It couldn't connect to your Pc?

Dissension on top of what Rico asked, did tablet size every affect your art?

Edit: I think I'm still going to use Illustrator for creation and inking. Upon more research, looks like MS uses raster effects. Which isn't a problem, I just like vector better. I'm still going to buy either way though. Just wanted to put that out there.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Rico wrote:Is that because you're too busy or just prefer the physical medium?
I'll call it a combination of too much to do and laziness.
Tatsuo wrote:Dissension on top of what Rico asked, did tablet size every affect your art?
The small size of the Wacom I have felt kinda limiting, at first. I haven't done a lot with the laptop, despite having it for a few years, so I can't say if a larger drawing surface/active area changes the experience for me. However, I've known some artists who prefer smaller ones, as you don't have to swing your arm about to make lines. Ultimately, different people are comfortable with different things - I make small drawings and doodles, so I imagine a very large tablet would take some getting used to.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Rico

Post by Rico »

Dissension wrote:The small size of the Wacom I have felt kinda limiting, at first. I haven't done a lot with the laptop, despite having it for a few years, so I can't say if a larger drawing surface/active area changes the experience for me. However, I've known some artists who prefer smaller ones, as you don't have to swing your arm about to make lines.
That's handy to know, I'm glad I went for the smaller tablet now. As long as I don't use a larger one, I'll likely never know the difference. I prefer to hold the tablet while sketching (I don't know why, I just find it more natural) and the size it is now is kinda awkward to hold. The whole thing is about A4 size.
Tatsuo wrote:Which one did you get?
In the UK the model is called Bamboo Pen & Touch, but I believe it is the same as the US Bamboo Connect. It's handy toggling the touch on and off, so I can use pinch and drag gestures but without catching the pad with my wrist when sketching.

I went and bought MS5 after Tatsuo said about it. I was a bit disapointed, but after watching the tutorial videos last night I now realise I just had no idea how to use the software to its full extent. Looking forward to having another go now :) the MS vector layers are just what I'm after!

JakJak

Post by JakJak »

I draw sometimes too! I used to make tiny doodles in the margins of lined paper in high school. Ever since I got a Bamboo Capture last Christmas I improved a lot since I wasn't limited to paper and could easily erase lines (and hide embarrassingly bad pictures more easily). I used to use the Autodesk Sketchbook program since that's what came with the tablet, but over time I've switched to Paint Tool SAI. I feel like I'm one of the few who's always preferred digital over traditional though. :lol:
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Of course I like to draw, I just really, really suck at doing it :lol: (heck, I could hardly color in properly before)
We do however have a number of talented artists here to draw (almost) anything you want.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Rico

Post by Rico »

JakJak wrote:I feel like I'm one of the few who's always preferred digital over traditional though. :lol:
I prefer to draw digitally too, although it may be because I suck at pencil and paper sketching :(
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Of course I like to draw, I just really, really suck at doing it :lol: (heck, I could hardly color in properly before)
We do however have a number of talented artists here to draw (almost) anything you want.
Im sure you don't suck that bad. Practise makes perfect and it doesn't really matter anyway if you enjoy it. I find sketching a calm and stress relieving exercise. I'm not very good at it but do seem to be improving. I'm taking Tatsuo's advice and enrolling in the school of YouTube :D

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:Looking forward to having another go now :) the MS vector layers are just what I'm after!
Vector!? Hmm do tell, I thought it was all raster just like photoshop.

Dissension wrote: However, I've known some artists who prefer smaller ones, as you don't have to swing your arm about to make lines.

I agree with Rico, that's a good point, I never thought about that. A small tablet is looking better and better.

Rico wrote: I'm taking Tatsuo's advice and enrolling in the school of YouTube :D

Haha there ya go. If you're looking for some good tutorials just search either Mark Crilley, DrawwithJazza, or Mike Koizumi. Of course there's way more then those guys, but those are the channels I've been focusing on. Lol the Internet is Magic, don't forget google to. One bit of advice that I've learned is to find different art styles from different people. By doing this, over time you find out what you like and don't like about certain styles and in turn you find your own. It's also a very good preventative to staying out of a comfort zone. I know there are some people out there who frown on "Copiers", people who copy other people's work, but how else are you going to learn and figure out your art style? That's just my opinion though.
Duster

Post by Duster »

I like to draw sometimes, but at the moment I'm having a hard finding the spare time between work and summer college.

That said I'm thinking of doing some HP fan art soon! But I want to take my time and make it look good. Hopefully I can find a good theme to use when I start drawing it. Just need to find the time! :lol:
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Rico

Post by Rico »

Tatsuo wrote:Vector!? Hmm do tell, I thought it was all raster just like photoshop.
I'm still getting to grips with all the features. The tutorial video explains the cool vector tricks nearer the end of the video at http://manga.smithmicro.com/tutorials/m ... ayers.html. I think dynamic filters are rasta only, but most other bits are vector. I have a bit of a shaky hand so the smoothing line setting works wonders for neat curves.
Tatsuo wrote:One bit of advice that I've learned is to find different art styles from different people. By doing this, over time you find out what you like and don't like about certain styles and in turn you find your own.
I've noticed every drawing I've ever done seems to differ completely from the ones before it. I think as you said, I still havn't found a style I'm happy with!
Duster wrote:I'm thinking of doing some HP fan art soon!
Have you thought about submitting a banner for the forum competition? ;)

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:The tutorial video explains the cool vector tricks nearer the end of the video at http://manga.smithmicro.com/tutorials/m ... ayers.html.

:shock: Wow..... Awesome. He said something about having troubles with exporting and importing, I'm not computer techy so I didn't get it.
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Double post here, but how are you liking MS and your tablet? Haven't heard anything for ya. I just checked out Gimp 2 nights and I like it for cropping scanned in images and photos.
Rico

Post by Rico »

The tablet and software is at the office and I've been in and out doing PR photo shoots, so haven't had as much time to practise with it as I would have liked. I don't have anything planned for the next week so will be hopefully posting some bits on FA and copying across all the practise sketches I've done in the meantime on my iPad. I'm already half way inking up a sketch in MS that I originally did on my iPad. I'm definitely liking that I can mix raster and vector layers on the same canvas in MS and last time I used the tablet I was starting to get better control over the pressure sensitivity :D

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:The tablet and software is at the office and I've been in and out doing PR photo shoots, so haven't had as much time to practise with it as I would have liked. I don't have anything planned for the next week so will be hopefully posting some bits on FA and copying across all the practise sketches I've done in the meantime on my iPad. I'm already half way inking up a sketch in MS that I originally did on my iPad. I'm definitely liking that I can mix raster and vector layers on the same canvas in MS and last time I used the tablet I was starting to get better control over the pressure sensitivity :D

Right on dude. Yeah I dug around and found they're planing on releasing an "Ex" version. From what I gather MS5 is awesome, but it's not as involved with making comics. Looks like they did the same thing with MS4 with a later Ex version coming out. I wana buy it no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I should wait for the release or buy the non Ex version now. The catch is, again from what I've heard and read, is the Ex edition will be somewhere around $300-500 bucks. Much different then the $80 dollars now for the non. So we'll see what happens.

Anyways I found an awesome tutorial vid for photoshop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDTYM5PWqA. It's long, but the guy does amazing paint work and knows his stuff. I think I also found a way to ink my traditional drawings without using a tablet. Looks like the Pen tool can be used with a mouse. Question is, can I do the same thing he does in the vid, but in Illustrator.

I wonder if Rick would like to ever chime in into all this? Be kinda net to hear some tips and tricks from da masta =P.

Edit: If you want to skip to the tutorial part, skip to about 12 min. Oh and it's his computer not yours. It can get very chopping.
Rico

Post by Rico »

I see what you mean about the video lag!

I was a bit suprised at how he did his inking. I wonder if many people do it like that? The hairbrush tutorial section will come in handy.

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Rico wrote:I was a bit suprised at how he did his inking. I wonder if many people do it like that? The hairbrush tutorial section will come in handy.

That's what I was wondering. What a great way to ink your traditional art. I'm sure this could even come in handy doing digital art as well. I could post more tutorial vids I'm finding, but that's not what this thread is about.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You can try posting them in the Art thread. I don't think there is a dedicated thread for videos on how to draw.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

JeffCvt wrote:You can try posting them in the Art thread. I don't think there is a dedicated thread for videos on how to draw.
Alright man good to know. I may post some, I may not.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I'd love to. But I'm so totally inept... *shuffles feet, grumbling*
Rico

Post by Rico »

How inept are we talking about here?

I'd say that's quite a good word to describe my drawing too. I'm definitely not a natural drawer, but through pure determination, perseverance, and will, I like to think I've improved :)

Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

I honestly doubt most people are natural drawers. Some may start earlier than others, or possibly learn faster than others, but I believe everyone (if you try hard enough) can be a great artist. I've been drawing for like 2-3 years now trying to improve (although I've taken long breaks between that time) and I've seen some improvement, and friends of mine have also seen improvement.

You just gotta keep at it, and not give up. ^^
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Yup what's that saying? You can be whatever you want to be, it just depends on how bad you want to be it. Or something like that.
Last edited by Tatsuo on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

Link seems to be broken. At least it is for me. :(
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Hmm. Ok that's wired. The link is broken for me to. I got the link from yahoo answers, so then I tried to post the link of the yahoo answer and that doesn't work as well. I'll keep trying.

Edit: I can google it fine so, click this instead: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bamboo+create+or+i ... small-&l=1 Then click on the yahoo answer called "Should I buy the wacom intuos5. You'll find the link there. Sorry about that being a pain :oops:
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Zavryn wrote:I honestly doubt most people are natural drawers. Some may start earlier than others, or possibly learn faster than others, but I believe everyone (if you try hard enough) can be a great artist. I've been drawing for like 2-3 years now trying to improve (although I've taken long breaks between that time) and I've seen some improvement, and friends of mine have also seen improvement.

You just gotta keep at it, and not give up. ^^
I agree with Zavryn depending on the subject.
Anyone can learn to draw, few people can be an 'artist' (by an artist I mean fine art and such). There are a few natural things like creativity and an eye for composition that if you lack it's hard to learn. I lack this creative side heavily and it's what makes me suck heavily as a fine artist, I can draw to an extent though. I've been drawing since I was like 7 and was taught by my dad (who is a draftsman that is an amazing drawer). I'm still learning a lot and my drawing skills have improved greatly over the past 3-4 years.

(Also someone who is natural at something is someone who picks it up quicker and learns it faster, so there are in fact 'natural' drawers)
'Cata acceptio obscuro mea ténebris ego fio totum' ~ Laxan Tanax Enore
'I made ​​all my dark morning by the acceptance of the dark'
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I find that I don't excel at any one thing, but I can pick up the skills to do anything well enough.

I don't draw because I was never a natural drawer, but a while ago I tried drawing some stuff just for the heck of it and I don't think it turned out too bad for someone who never draws. If I was to get a book on it or look videos up online, I could probably become pretty good I think. But I don't because I decided to focus my creative skills more toward writing. If I tried to split my attention between the two, I don't think I would end up getting very good at either.

Maybe I'll try to learn it in a few years when I feel I have a little more time.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Well, it really hinges on this formula: Ability X Effort = Success

You can't help it if you have less drawing ability than others, but you can make up for it with effort. Really that formula applies for anything.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.