I just read through the entire archives!

Discuss the comic here
Kyuunado

Re: I just read through the entire archives!

Post by Kyuunado »

I just had a dream where I was reading it and went "huh, that was good" and started reading from the start. Ever since then I have followed up every single comic.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Ahhh, the delightful Archive Binge. Housepets was the first webcomic I ever gave that treatment to, actually, and, in fact, is pretty much the reason I'm as big into webcomics as I am now.

I discovered it through TV Tropes in the middle of May 2011, when Not All Dogs was starting to reach its climax. Wasn't too familiar with the webcomic medium, but I thought the concept to HP sounded fun and unique. So I dove into the archive. I think my binge took around...I dunno...six hours, maybe? I read it over the course of three days, anyway. I had a freaking blast. I came in expecting something fun and quirky, and got so much more. In a way, it showed me just what a webcomic could be, and led me down a path to such other wonderful curiosities as Lackadaisy, Gunnerkrigg Court, Cucumber Quest...and...AXE COP. In fact, I think Axe Cop and Cucumber Quest are the only other WCs I've ever really binged, but they've not been around for as long and were easier to go through quickly. I remember that I tried to binge Homestuck, once, though...ech...too much work. Good stuff, of course, but you know...

That said, I ended up reading through HP's archive two more times just for fun, once last summer and once this April. It was great.

i love this comic

i really really do
*cough*
69eist

Post by 69eist »

I managed to read the entire archives in a span of 24-48 hours. I must say Rick Griffin is a genius.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ain't he? I really should do another archive binge sometime just to re-read the comics and understand just how daunting of a task it is to catch up nowadays.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
bertrum

Post by bertrum »

I've actually been up to date on Rick's DA account for ages as far as I remember. I saw a comic he had posted about King/Fox and it looked freaking awesome so I read the whole thing, I then found out it was a part of the series Housepets! So I looked on the website and fangirl'd a bit considering I haven't read a good comic in a long time.. Spent two days reading the whole thing, immersed in it. Couldn't stop.. I'm not joking it took me until 4 AM to get to bed one night because I was reading this comic! Rick your art is amazing, your humour and referencing are simply brilliant and overall I absolutely love this comic. Keep it up! I'm literally at the point now of sitting looking glum and bored waiting for a new part to be posted, I'm sure I'm not the only one too! :D <3
[18:31:21] Zak - Scorpy!: okay imma have a text only siggy QwQ
[18:31:30] Zak - Scorpy!: now I don't know what to say!
Well that just sums it up really...
ArcFlight

Post by ArcFlight »

I started reading, from the first strip; 1, 2, 3 weeks ago. Hard to be sure, time just slipped by reading it. Ending up at Blood Loss, Jungle Fever; on Friday or Saturday. 1 or two arks a night, sometimes as many as 4, the alt/title text, even a few groups of comments, every night.
Now I have the enjoyment of filling the endless wait between updates.
Image Image
ɑːk flʌɪt - Posts more nauseating than the Vomit Comet
Muninn

Post by Muninn »

Sadly, I finished catching up on the archives over the weekend. I just discovered this comic around the 20th of Sept., and I would read over the archives to get my Housepets! fix while waiting for the new strip to be posted. Now that I have finished, I'm stuck waiting few new content every week. It's lame!

LOL, just kidding. Naturally, the solution is to read the archives again. Already begun, and it's pretty cool because it's making more sense the 2nd time through. It's always been fun and easy to follow, but the little details I was iffy on are being taken care of this time through
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Took me about a month to read the more than 800 comic strips (except the guest ones, but I've read them too). I've read the translated ones by Valerio, for comform reasons, and before do it I'd to spend two weeks to get them all. Time availability has been of about half hour at day, and not for all the days.
Interesting things in the main story of this comic, like figure out all what happened to King and the "Grapenut" fact. Most of the story arcs and strips are greatly made, enjoyable and with intrigant stories. Surely I'll read it all again one day. I'm really loving this comic, I wish it a long life. ;)

Here are my favorite story arcs: 03. Cat Tail; 06. Fido's Return; 09. The Zoo; 11. Housepets Christmas; 14. The Vet; 19. A Sinister Shadow; 22. Money Sharks; 23. n-ple Date; 27. It's A Wonderful Dog's Life; 30. The Present; 33. Theme Park World; 36. Scaredy Cats; 37. Noob Tube; 42. Not All Dogs; 43. The Great Water Balloon War; 47. A Respite In The Country; 48. Spots and Stripes; 50. Housepets Babies!; 51. Show Business; 65. The Unbearable Lightness Of Being A Dog; 66. One Cat's Treasure; 67. Love And War; 69. The King And I; 72. Jungle Fever.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:I have indeed read through the archives. Housepets was actually a piece of cake compared to Freefall, which now has over 2,000 strips. Anyway, I didn't read through either of them in one sitting. I think it was probably a couple of days of off-and-on reading for each. Just a bit more for Freefall. :3

I read shlock mercenary, its over 3,000 pages. :p
I like this color/.
Join the Housepets! IRC: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23HPRT&uio=d4 #HPRT
Rick Griffin-Pete Griffin. Brothers?
I love mods. Now shush before I drag one over here...
Askric

Post by Askric »

Well crap. There's another webcomic consumed entirely too fast.

And to think, I noticed early on it had arcs and was struck with the optimistic idea that I would pace it out a bit to enjoy longer.

Ah well, I'll throw my hat in with those commending Rick on a wonderful job entertaining us all. What a fun fantastical slice of life story it was! I'll certainly be following this one from here on out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Now you have to wait 2-3 days for each new one aaaaaaah.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Askric

Post by Askric »

It's even worse; he had the audacity to make multiple interesting characters at the same time! Now I want both a King arc and a Grape/Peanut arc!

I suppose a more Glass Half Full person might be inclined to point out little things like this being a sign of engaging writing and furthermore twice the odds that the next arc tackles characters I want to see, but uh... Hrmm, I think I lost track of my point. Just assume it's in line with a generalized sort of rage, entirely unjustified, at Rick's inability to pull off superhuman levels writing speed.

Ah well, at least I think I saw something about a couple of other stories Rick's written floating around. Something to check out!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It keeps people reading. Ya always want him to make more!
RainbowDragon

Post by RainbowDragon »

Oh yeah, I just finished the complete archive around two hours ago. It took me... I think around a Week to get trough every thing. This comic is really funny and cute, I am glad that I found it.

Oh yeah, if someone is interested, I found it through a banner on another comic site, Precocious ^^
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Lots of cross-pollination with the two readerships there.
RainbowDragon

Post by RainbowDragon »

Hm? I think I don´t understand, sleet...
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

RainbowDragon wrote:Hm? I think I don´t understand, sleet...
Cross-Pollination is when pollen is transferred from one flower to another. Basically, some of the readers of Precocious are the "pollen" that find Housepets, or the "flower." The said readers of Precocious come over to Housepets and begin reading. The same happens to some of the readers of Housepets!
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
SmileWolf

Post by SmileWolf »

I discovered the comic a couple of weeks ago and since then have both read through the archives and gone back and reread some arcs as well. I am one of those folks who if they really like some movie, TV show, book, or comic, will eagerly reread or rewatch it again and again. I really just have fallen for the characters, and that usually takes a very good book, comic, movie, or TV show. In fact, among webcomics, I can only think of one other that I read regularly that inspired me to go through the archives - Sandra & Woo. Among old school print comics, my favorites are The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, and a comic I was raised on, very old school early Peanuts, back when the writing was still pretty sharp.
Pladim

Post by Pladim »

It took me about 3 nights total to read the entire Archive (including the Alt-Text). After that I read TwoKinds in about 4 nights, then spent a week reading through Valerio's Housepets! The Series, so in two weeks I read a couple thousand pages of content, My eyes burned for about a week, but it was so worth it.
I'm Blue daba dee daba die
Steps to Enlightenment brighten the way, but the stairs are steep, take them one at a time.
----------
valerio

Post by valerio »

daww, thank you! :D
Pladim

Post by Pladim »

valerio wrote:daww, thank you! :D
:D It's a great series, I even turned most of it into a Kindle format for reading on-the-go
I'm Blue daba dee daba die
Steps to Enlightenment brighten the way, but the stairs are steep, take them one at a time.
----------
KingForevermore
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US

Post by KingForevermore »

I have already forgotten how i came to find Housepets! except that the first strip i saw was "The best game"
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/12/ ... best-game/
i loved the strip for its humor, but i never got around to looking up the actual website untill i got a lucky break when i got sick.It took me 13 hours to read all 75 arch's. ( and ive read alot of the archs over again and again ) it was an emotional rollercoaster for me ( because i still cant get over Grape and Peanut )also the rise of my favorite character King (or Joel or whatever you want to call the worlds most adorable corgi! ) and i can name many more heart dropping moments in this comic. and i happened to join the forums when the new arch began with our possome punched pooch and i just have to say im a house pets fan forever!

I just want to thank Rick for continuing the comic that has earned a spot in my heart as the best experience i have ever lived through! Thanks!

PS: I feel like sometime in the future Rick is going to bring the greatest plot twist this internet has ever seen and its going to happen soon

King, your time ends May 24 2014
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

When I first found this comic I spent in total around a day reading through the entire archives. One of the most well-spent 24 hours of my recent life, I must say. It introduced me to all you guys <3

I've also cleaned out Bittersweet Candy Bowl and Concerned. One I loved, the other caused me a great deal of stress and self-hatred. Those who actually listened to my inane ramblings over on Joys and Sorrows back in October (and are still here) probably know which one was the latter. B|
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I spent three or four days reading through the comic and going back over the comic and reading the comments. I think I'm pretty much fully entrenched in the Housepets! now. 8-)
I've done this before with other webcomics (one called Lunargyros, in particular), but I think I've enjoyed this one the most. :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Re-reading is a good thing to do every year or so, just to bring yourself up to date and to see how the comic's evolved. Also, for those who can remember, how many other comics have been this reliable?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I've only read two comics in my life with this being one of them so I would say no.
King's Men14

Post by King's Men14 »

Honestly, I read it in 2 and a half days and I just couldn't stop reading it on my spare time. To EVERYONE that hasn't read the entire archive, you should!!!
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

There are people who don't read the entire archive? I would take the time to read something the whole way through in order. It usually takes me about a week to read through a comic with 600-1000 pages (which Housepets had 7 months ago). With other comics that have less than 100 pages (I read Savestate in about 30 minutes 8 months ago, and Simon & Freddy in about an hour a few months ago) I can read them in less than an hour. With other things that aren’t comics, it usually takes me longer to read them. I have been reading Housepets the Series for 7 ½ months now, and I still have 20 ages left.

I am also confused on how people could read all of Housepets in a few hours as well. I understand a few years ago, but not now with over 1,000 pages.

I read through the entire archive in 5 days. I would have been faster, but I only read on my computer instead of also reading on my ipod when I discovered how much better the alt text made the comic. It was the only comic I ever read all on one computer, and I did it just so I could read all of the Alt text.

The one thing I will say to anyone who has not read the entire archive in order is do it, and read the Alt text as well. The experience of reading it all in order is great, seeing how Rick’s art has improved over the years. The Alt text takes the story, and makes it so much better. I would reread Housepets if I had the time, and I highly recommend anyone reading Housepets who hasn’t read the archive to read the entire thing in order.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

With a comic like Housepets!, you don't really have to read the whole archive. You can pick up at any point and not really be too lost. That's part of its strength.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Fun fact: It actually took me just 2 weeks to read the whole archive. How needs sleep!
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

Sleet wrote:With a comic like Housepets!, you don't really have to read the whole archive. You can pick up at any point and not really be too lost. That's part of its strength.
Still, if you're going to be on the forum, it's best to have read the whole thing. It gets confusing otherwise.

(and some comics NEED to be read in order...you'd be lost trying to understand Freefall without starting with "We're really getting an engineer, Sam?")
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Yeah, I guess I can see Housepets not being read in order, but I know that I would be really confused about many things on the forums if I didn't read in order or didn't read some at all. I am still confused about some things even though I did.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I tried to read the comic from the current point that I discovered it at, but I realized I wouldn't understand most of the arcs otherwise so I just started at the beginning.
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

I enjoy reading archives more than real-time comics anyway. Archives can feel like a cartoon show after a while of rushing through them, and while I do like analyzing and discussing every detail of one particular comic at a time(which uses up most of my webcomic time, by far), the times of reading the old comics before joining the forum are the "honeymoon days," if that expression is at all relevant to what I'm saying.
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
SnuggleKing

Post by SnuggleKing »

I read through them all in a weekend (Saturday night - Monday evening). I really no-lifed it Sunday; I honestly didn't do anything else that day except sleep and eat. xP

I thought that was a lot, then I read Kevin & Kell (Updated weekdays 1995-2000, daily 2000-present).
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Re-reading isn't that hard, as Sleet pointed out, every strip is self-contained, even the arcs. We've only had a few major arcs and none of them change the dynamic of the strip that much, so you can pick up from anywhere pretty much.
FurryzFurst

Up to date

Post by FurryzFurst »

Yay after months I'm finally up to date with the comic! It's really exciting and all. So I guess my question here is this:

What character would you like to see more? I really want to see more Peanut and Karishad.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Read a few strips...got hooked. Ordered all the Books at that time (6) … got "landed". Been here ever since. You?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Anyone else joined this august company recently? :o ;)
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Not entirely recently, but close enough... I stumbled across HP! looking for a good furry webcomic to read (after having binged TwoKinds in about a week) and found this! I tried to read from the start a few times and thought I wouldn't like it (lesson learned again, don't judge a webcomic by its first pages) and eventually I just decided to try to get through it (like, okay, might as well, after all, I hear there's some TF elements and those are always interesting) and binged the whole archive in one sitting (not trying to brag, just way too much free time at that point). I think that was in the middle of "Call of the Wild"? (round about here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... in-canada/)

Anyways here I am...
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!