Dissension wrote:[ Spotlight ]

Title Text: I CAME HERE TO HAVE AN ARGUMENT NOW ARGUE WITH ME

Heehee, Jessica is adorable when she's angry. :p
Jessica really didn't know what she was getting herself into, did she? :lol:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: 2013/12/18 - Spotlight

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

She paid for an argument and Zach's just being uncontradictory.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

This is not at all what she expected.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Jess, why you don´t want him to agree with you ? Maybe because you don´t wanna be right ... or not, im not psychiatrist
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

And here we see that even Jessica wants something to hold onto. Zach isn't the one to go to to grant miracles, but he does have access to medicines, I'm sure.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I'm starting to get a picture here. I think, once upon a time, Jessica believed in the Opener just as much as any other feral. Then, something happened to her, maybe a loved one died, and she now doubts that the Opener is worthy of praise.
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

Jess may not be angry at religion after all, she seems more jealous of it. There may have been some event in her past that tore her from being a believer, or may just not be made for that sort of thing. Either way, she seems frustrated by the apparent shortsightedness of those that have it, but envious of the hope it gives them, when she lacks it from any source, and wants something good she can believe in. Looks like Zach may have some things to be doing in future strips, including some religious idol duties. Humor note: After reading the 'Opener's Mass' bit, did anyone else get an image of an effigy of Zach that was, shall we say, disproportionate?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

There's nothing worse than someone who won't argue when you're mad at them...

The argument reaches a passive will
that agrees with all she says.
This truth more anger beholds
as Jess wants to fight
'The Opener of ways'

Zach's so tolerant and so plain chill
he knows what she says is the truth.
None is his fault but his duty
as she tells the feral plight
and drills to his back tooth.

He feels his guilt, for good or ill,
does our friendly Rabbit
as the Possum lady
lays out his crimes tonight
and he agrees out of habit.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

D-Rock wrote:And here we see that even Jessica wants something to hold onto. Zach isn't the one to go to to grant miracles, but he does have access to medicines, I'm sure.
That actually seems like a really likely scenario to me. Even though Zach will probably continue to keep his distance from this whole "opener" thing, he still seems like he'd be a compassionate enough guy to help out in whatever way he can. I smell an Opener-mas miracle in the making :D
Phlosioneer

Post by Phlosioneer »

I do honestly wonder what she expected.

If she was right, and the opener was a fake, then the world appears to be a rather dismal place.
If she was wrong, and the opener was real, then he was ignoring the needs of the critters, and the world appears to be a rather dismal place.
If she didn't figure out whether she was right or wrong, then she's angry and frustrated and in a faith crisis, and the world appears to be a rather dismal place.

I see a theme, here. :P
Profile pic courtesy of Chu, from Slightly Damned!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Zachary Arbelt, I do NOT CARE about philosophy and/or psychology right now, you GIVE her the medicine NOW! :evil:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

valerio wrote:Zachary Arbelt, I do NOT CARE about philosophy and/or psychology right now, you GIVE her the medicine NOW! :evil:
She's not actually asked yet...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I think Jessica didn't believe in their religion because it failed her and seemed unfair. She did indeed believe in the Opener of Ways (at least partialy), but became angry when she saw her friends and family wasting their time and recsorces on something that wouldn't help them. Because of that she got the impression that the opener had stopped caring for them and basked in his own glory. Plus the fact that she's just straight up stubborn doesn't help. :D
Still shipping Jessica Rabbit
valerio wrote:Zachary Arbelt, I do NOT CARE about philosophy and/or psychology right now, you GIVE her the medicine NOW! :evil:
I don't think just giving her the medicine will fix this, she kinda put him in one of those guilt holes that force you to make everything right. And if you didn't you'd look like some kinda jerk. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
wolf of crystal

Post by wolf of crystal »

Well,it look like jessica want that zach was some kine of prophet and she know that is not truth.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Zach should try to embrace the persona the ferals have given him, even though he knows it as false; I think it would be the best for both sides.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Argent

Post by Argent »

He might be lucky and the Arbelts will have some unexpired antibiotics he can slip them, but odds are kind of against it. He's just a pet, after all, and there's only so much one rabbit can do.

Maybe he could ask Pete for help?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Crux

Post by Crux »

Zach should hug Jessica to comfort her :D

or get her the medicine, whichever works :3
Despite What You've been told... I once had a soul.
Left somewhere behind...
~~Avatar by MrAxolatte~!!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:He might be lucky and the Arbelts will have some unexpired antibiotics he can slip them, but odds are kind of against it. He's just a pet, after all, and there's only so much one rabbit can do.

Why would Pete help? Zach's not part of the game. Only Cats and Dogs can be used.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I came here for an argument and all I got was exposition!

Been a lot of spotlighting in this comic this year. Rick is going to have to start paying for more spotlights.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

GameCobra wrote:Been a lot of spotlighting in this comic this year. Rick is going to have to start paying for more spotlights.
Yeah, and...I really don't want to complain (please don't kill me)...but can I say that I don't really care for this?

I don't know, it's just, when we get to parts like this, Rick tries to convey all these really heavy emotions and stuff and while it's not really poorly done, it feels like a pretty jarring shift in tone from what the comic is usually about. It always comes back around to funny stuff in the end, which is good, but stuff like this and Maxwell's freak-out just feel a bit...too heavy for this comic's light premise in my opinion, you know? It's a comic about sapient animals that's mostly comedic, and having them express all these complex and deep emotions in such a dramatic way clashes with that for me.

*cough* Well, I really don't like being negative, so...on the positive side, the last panel and alt text got a good laugh out of me, as always!
*cough*
valerio

Post by valerio »

giving room to this 'darker' aspect of the Housepets! world is just what makes this comic great. A 'smiley' place where the only thing that happens is comedy would not differentiate HP from the too many 'funny animal' comics going around the web.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

valerio wrote:giving room to this 'darker' aspect of the Housepets! world is just what makes this comic great. A 'smiley' place where the only thing that happens is comedy would not differentiate HP from the too many 'funny animal' comics going around the web.
I really don't think it's much darker than it ever was...it's just (in this instance) more...melodramatic. HP's world was never a completely "smiley" place, at least not since the whole Joel/King plot started. My problem isn't with the idea here necessarily, but with the way it's being shown with all the spotlights and the waterworks and the drama...it just feels like it's a little much. King's arc has some emotion and heart without getting dramatic like this; ideally, that's about as far as I'd like for the tone to go (though I'm not the one in charge here). Personally, I think that showing the darker side to HP's universe while still remaining tons of fun is one of the things that makes this comic stand out and...well, I don't want that to go away.

Ech...sorry about all this complaining. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to say that "everything is going to be terrible from now on all is lost D'8". I really don't think that at all; this is just sort of bugging me.
*cough*
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

That's exactly what she needs. Some time in a shelter, just apart from the pure fight for surviving, where she can screem out all her frustration and fears. And that Zach agrees with her isn't the worst, I don't think that she wants to argue, she was only hoping that she isn't right in everything. But Zach can't take that from her. Jessica has to find a way to live with it and talking about it helps. She will feel much better tomorrow morning, even if there will be a slight guilt that she was warm and safe while the others weren't.
This will lead her to a better understanding of Zach and his unintended role in all this. I think they'll be friends later on.

That wouldn't help. Jessica would probably only run back into the blizzard to bring it to Tiny Tum and that would be her death. No, they have to wait till the morning and the blizzard to end.
I wouldn't wonder if in one week the Arbelt's house will be full of ferals who want to celebrate opener's mass or openermas together with Zach (and in the warmth).
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
gameangel147

Post by gameangel147 »

So that's what the inside of a possums mouth looks like. I am learning so much! THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!!
Panther

Post by Panther »

"puts a roasted chicken leg in Jessica's great opened mouth"

Ferals are just victims of their own belief , Jessica ; Zach isn't guilty
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Actually I can understand Jessica, the woodlandcritters seem to be too eager to worship "the opener" then to work for their own survival on their own and that makes her angry. She doesn't really dislike Zach, just his forced role as the opener.
Or maybe that's just my interpretation.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Jessica wrote:You're sitting here in your cozy castle sipping tea and watching television! Everyone out there is
cold
and alone
and afraid
because that's the truth of the world!
*reels back in shock* (This isn't even the scary bit)

That's incredibly deep.
Sadly, I can also apply this to certain systems in our world (Okay this is the scary bit).

I love the last panel though. Its great that Rick knows how to weave humor into tough and sad situations such as this.
The use of single phrase in panel 5 was really effective too...
Also, I love how Rick repeatedly forgets to tag his double strips. XD
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Mister L

Post by Mister L »

Am I the only one that when saw Jessica and Zack together instantly tought how cute they would be if they were a couple?

C'mon Zack just hug her or comfort her in some way!!!
I love to quote famous quotes from people, games, movies and comics!
Don't Starve rocks!
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Mister L wrote:Am I the only one that when saw Jessica and Zack together instantly tought how cute they would be if they were a couple?

C'mon Zack just hug her or comfort her in some way!!!
I feel the same way.
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Jessica wrote:[Well? Where are the miracles?
They're coming later.
Feel my icy wrath!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote:
Why would Pete help?
Because it's Christmas?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote:
Why would Pete help?
Because it's Christmas?
Pete's not the 'giving' sort though and he's not interested in winning Zach over.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Kouri wrote:
D-Rock wrote:And here we see that even Jessica wants something to hold onto. Zach isn't the one to go to to grant miracles, but he does have access to medicines, I'm sure.
That actually seems like a really likely scenario to me. Even though Zach will probably continue to keep his distance from this whole "opener" thing, he still seems like he'd be a compassionate enough guy to help out in whatever way he can. I smell an Opener-mas miracle in the making :D
I'm hoping so, cuz I haven't seen alot of epicness out of Zach where i know there can be some.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Zach's family comes back home. Tiger tries to get rid of Jessica. Zach FACE!s Tiger, and then gives antibiotic to Jesse.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

I originally thought Jess came looking for Zach to prove her friends wrong, but now I'm seeing she came for two reasons.

She's seeking answers to why these bad things happen to such nice people, and why not alot of people do something about it. (Which in a way shows why she doesn't believe)

Also after looking backat the last strip in a way I think she was desperate to save that cubs life, even if it meant hoping she was wrong about Zach being this great being. It was like taking a leap of faith.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Maybe he could ask Pete for help?
Why would Pete help?
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Because it's Christmas?
Pete's not the 'giving' sort though and he's not interested in winning Zach over.
That's where the Chistmas Miracle comes in :)

To paraphrase a NextGen episode.

Pete makes the kid well/ provides the medicine.
Zach: Maybe a bit of mortal kindness has effected Pete after all...
Pete suddenly appears.
Pete: Don't bet on it, Bunny!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Why would Pete help? Zach's not part of the game. Only Cats and Dogs can be used.
Pete obviously considers him to have some value, remember the dungeon crawl? And the rules say only cats and dogs can be avatars, Zach is not an avatar... he's a prophet.
gameangel147 wrote:So that's what the inside of a possums mouth looks like. I am learning so much! THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!!
Possums have really scary teeth. Remember, they're kin to the Tasmanian Devil. Google for them yourself.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

GeckoZY wrote:Zach should try to embrace the persona the ferals have given him, even though he knows it as false; I think it would be the best for both sides.
Living a lie never works for very long. Also it doesn't seem to fit Zack's character traits.
Render wrote:
That wouldn't help. Jessica would probably only run back into the blizzard to bring it to Tiny Tum and that would be her death. No, they have to wait till the morning and the blizzard to end.
I wouldn't wonder if in one week the Arbelt's house will be full of ferals who want to celebrate opener's mass or openermas together with Zach (and in the warmth).
Which is probably why my best guess is that Zack's Dad has a permanent rule for the house: No free gifts to ferals. It's bad enough that the chanting never ceases; they don't need wild animals ringing the doorbell at every hour and asking for medicine, food, wisdom, etc.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote:He might be lucky and the Arbelts will have some unexpired antibiotics he can slip them, but odds are kind of against it. He's just a pet, after all, and there's only so much one rabbit can do.
Why would Pete help? Zach's not part of the game. Only Cats and Dogs can be used.
Mwahaha! (You'll see...)
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote: Maybe he could ask Pete for help?
Why would Pete help?
Because it's Christmas?
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Pete's not the 'giving' sort though and he's not interested in winning Zach over.

From Monday:
I wrote:I would like the dialogue for the nextWednesday's strip to go something like this:

Zack: Look here! The only reason any of this 'Opener' nonsense keeps going on is because nobody's been listening to me! And the only reason it started is because I pushed some stupid button on a door!

Jessica: Wait, that's not what I...

Zack (interrupting): Then I was forced to stand around in a cold, dark room everyone says it was a temple until I pressed another button.

Jessica (quietly): Wait, that doesn't match what...

Zack (still monologueing): Since then, I've been mercilessly followed around, had my personal belongings stolen and can't get a moment's peace because of all the chanting outside the house at every hour!

EDIT
Zack opens a window.
Zack: WOULD YOU GUYS TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME?!

Truck: But we're praising your greatness!

Zack closes the window
ENDEDIT

Jessica (quietly): So that's where Falstaff and Truck keep sneaking off to.

Zack (continuing): Well I've had it! I'm sick of all the mindless followers who refuse to fend for themselves despite every opportunity. I'm sick of being harassed and stolen from!
Zack looks up and shouts at the ceiling...
HEY MISTER GIANT BIRD! GET DOWN HERE! I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME AND WE NEED TO TALK!

*POOF!*
Pete appears.

Pete (smugly): Having a nice tantrum, are we?

Zack: Shut it!

Jessica (really quietly): I'm just going to feint now, is that okay?

To be continued...
I wasn't expecting that to happen, but I can wish, right? Anyway, I said "to be continued," so here's the continuation:

Pete: Okay you, what did you call me for?

Zack: Haven't you been listening to what I've been saying? how typical I'm sick of all this nonsense and I want it all to just go away! You're the one who's been messing with my dreams, so I know there's gotta be something you can do.

Pete closes his eyes halfway and uses his "deep in thought" expression.

Pete: There is one thing I can do, but it will require you to play a part that you won't like.

Zack: At this point, I'm willing to do almost anything to put this nonsense behind me.

Pete: I see. Would you be willing to become a cat for 24 hours?

Zack's face becomes totally blank for a minute. He wants to put the nonsense behind him, not dive deeper into it!

Zack: WHAT!?

Pete: (holding a hand aside his face and casually inspecting it) I'm only allowed to work with cats and dogs for what's going on. If you want to get this over with you'll either have to become one, or give your power reserves to someone who is one.

Zack:(hands on hips and one eyebrow raised) Well, I'd rather not become nonsense, if you don't mind! And what do you mean by "power reserves"? I don't have any special powers! If I did, do you think I would let this happen?
Zack points at the sleeping Jessica

Pete: Don't be obtuse. You know very well that your life changed after you visited my temple. You know how your dreams changed, and you were even able to cast a spell when in my temple again. Or did you think that ability came from that silly hat? At any rate, your powers come from me, and like I said, I'm only able to work with cats and dogs. So what's it going to be?

(To the mods: I don't believe this is too much fanfic for this thread, since this is Friday's extension of what I was hoping to see in today's comic. And I mean that with all respect.)
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

Why a cat, rather than a dog?