Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by Buckdida »

At first, I just had no words. Kinda like Sleet's reaction. Then...

To be honest...this...is the first comic I didn't like. I think, possibly, because it broke my willing suspension of disbelief. To me, it's just a bit much. And I remember, waaaaaay back when these elements were first introduced...we were worried about a genre shift. Huh. Heh. Hahaahhahaha!

I was laughing, yes, but out of complete disbelief, not because I liked the joke. Ah well. You can't please everyone every time, and, hey, one missed comic out of the 200+ we got is a pretty good track record. Far better than many other comics I know of. And, eh, only one man's opinion.

No doubt there will be others who like the comic and can't wait to see what happens next, but this is now the first arc that I've wanted to end because I disliked the direction it took. Well, I mean, it was really good up until...uh...this comic. The easiest way out is that King is stupidly drunk, or still KO'ed at the bottom of the stairs, but that's such a cop-out that a lot of people would hate unless it's pulled of in a spectacular way. Oh well, Rick has this knack for twisting things around for a nice little surprising ending that blows all our minds. I'll just have to wait and see...

*shrugs*
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Buckdida wrote:At first, I just had no words. Kinda like Sleet's reaction. Then...

To be honest...this...is the first comic I didn't like. I think, possibly, because it broke my willing suspension of disbelief. To me, it's just a bit much. And I remember, waaaaaay back when these elements were first introduced...we were worried about a genre shift. Huh. Heh. Hahaahhahaha!

I was laughing, yes, but out of complete disbelief, not because I liked the joke. Ah well. You can't please everyone every time, and, hey, one missed comic out of the 200+ we got is a pretty good track record. Far better than many other comics I know of. And, eh, only one man's opinion.

No doubt there will be others who like the comic and can't wait to see what happens next, but this is now the first arc that I've wanted to end because I disliked the direction it took. Well, I mean, it was really good up until...uh...this comic. The easiest way out is that King is stupidly drunk, or still KO'ed at the bottom of the stairs, but that's such a cop-out that a lot of people would hate unless it's pulled of in a spectacular way. Oh well, Rick has this knack for twisting things around for a nice little surprising ending that blows all our minds. I'll just have to wait and see...

*shrugs*
Oh yes. If this is a cop out, I am going to get angry...

It is KIND OF funny though... I guess.......... :| :? :) :P

EDIT: <throws up hands in resignation> All right, all RIGHT!! :| I guess I can wait another two days for the end of the arc! My psyche hurts right now...
Last edited by PhoenixAsper on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I can see it being an "all just a dream--OR IS IT?" idea like when Pete was first introduced. King comes out of his drunken "sleep" but Tarot still knows about him, say--something like that, anyway....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ratros wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
Cerberusx wrote:This is some crazy #%&@. Now at this point, if I was in King's possition and he is a "pawn" in this game of D&D/chess, I would finding a way to kill Pete, or I would take the easy way out.
The only player characters in the game are Tarot and Pete the rest are not being played with its just that Pete and The Spirit Dragon are basically pretending so neither King or anyone else are "Pawns" in the game. (I hope I explained that right)
They're manipulating others, but they can only go so far before breaking the rules, hence why Pete can't just control Joel and make him do what he wants. But there is still one single question that has to be answered, what class and levels are Pete and Tarot?

Edit: Everyone else but Tarot and Pete are NPCs!
Well yes their being manipulated in the sense that any normal person can be manipulated. (a.k.a being convinced to do something)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

rickgriffin wrote:This arc is probably going to go in a real weird direction for everyone.

No I won't explain what I mean by that. Three weeks to July 4!
Yes, Yes it did...
I'm with Buckdida, but at the same time I've seen Rick work his magic before. So I'm willing to wait. ;)
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Buckdida wrote:I was laughing, yes, but out of complete disbelief, not because I liked the joke.
But you WERE laughing at the joke

Dude I'm sorry if you're upset because I've violated some sacred barrier I wasn't supposed to cross, but I have already done that several times before and I have always been okay with snapping back to the other stuff too.

I just want to have some fun.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

IceKitsune wrote: Well yes their being manipulated in the sense that any normal person can be manipulated. (a.k.a being convinced to do something)
Exactly, but what about the classes and levels?
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Ok, what just happened here. I'm guessing either King tripped and hit his head again while under the influence of soda, or he knocked himself out when he fell down the stairs and everything after that was a dream. Or maybe he did just pass out from the soda while walking in the woods, which would explain how he knew what Tarot looked like and that Peanut was her boyfriend. Or maybe Pete's just screwing with him? GAH THE SUSPENSE.
Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out. - Randall Munroe

My Steam account.
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

IceKitsune wrote:
Cerberusx wrote:This is some crazy #%&@. Now at this point, if I was in King's possition and he is a "pawn" in this game of D&D/chess, I would finding a way to kill Pete, or I would take the easy way out.
The only player characters in the game are Tarot and Pete the rest are not being played with its just that Pete and The Spirit Dragon are basically pretending so neither King or anyone else are "Pawns" in the game. (I hope I explained that right)

But that makes no sence. The Dragon said that Pete broke the rules. And the only game he has played is with what he has done to King. And why would they show and tell King about all this stuff. Unless he is a pawn of some sort.
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I think any guessing on my part will make me fail Friday's SAN check. GLHF for you guys, but for me I'll just stick to readin em.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ratros wrote:
IceKitsune wrote: Well yes their being manipulated in the sense that any normal person can be manipulated. (a.k.a being convinced to do something)
Exactly, but what about the classes and levels?
I don't know right now give me some time to think about it (All I know about D&D is what I learn from OoTS and Goblins)
vorpal

Post by vorpal »

rickgriffin wrote:I just want to have some fun.
How dare you!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Well played Rick, well played. =3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

vorpal wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:I just want to have some fun.
How dare you!
Que lightning, thunder and God's wrath.
Last edited by Cerberusx on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

Buckdida wrote:At first, I just had no words. Kinda like Sleet's reaction. Then...

*shrugs*
Complete opposite for me. I can actually tell what Rick is going for with this. The earth breaking apart and floating into the air, reality ceasing to exist and being sucked into space, etc. typical bonkers fantasy 'epic' aides that I myself get annoyed by. The joke isn't solely the dialogue in the last panel, it's the escalation of the mind-numbing setting devices to such an insane degree. Dragonball Z on its worst day can't compare to this.
Que lightning, thunder and God's wrath.
Que es.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I hereby invoke again two of the three Sacred Housepets Rules

1) Speculation is futile
3) In Rick we trust!

I like today's comic BECAUSE it is such an unexpected twist. Also, it leaves open all the rooms to keep the story of our beloved pets going without any disturbance from this U&U session. I mean, it is by now obvious that this 'game' is something so heckuva BIG that it is like worrying if God decided to strike you down out of a whim.
The Dragon and Pete will keep playing their game, involving who knows how many levels of realities, but for what concernes the Housepets' reality, it changes nothing. As King pointed out himself, the gamers cannot mess with free will, thus there is not the risk of seeing any pet acting out of the ordinary.
Pete surely tried to find a loophole and that could cause serious trouble to reality, but now we know there is some double-check over that kind of cheating. It's a game with rules, not a war without any.
I don't think this will end with a cop-out for King...you know, something like waking up in the shower or what else. Pete has fully manifested and is a concrete presence. And Rick wouldn't surely waste all the work done with King's apparitions and his influence on Fox for a cheap cop-out.
Hope I put it down clearly, folks! :mrgreen:
valerio

Post by valerio »

But that makes no sence. The Dragon said that Pete broke the rules. And the only game he has played is with what he has done to King. And why would they show and tell King about all this stuff. Unless he is a pawn of some sort.
another 2 cents, comrade:
Perhaps Pete broke the rules by actually manifesting into this reality. Considering Tarot is using an avatar, Pete cheated manifesting himself. He then tried to bend the rules by using King as his pawn in this U&U session that for some reason is focused on the Housepets' reality.
Oh, yes, and then they can tell King whatever they want.
YOU try to believe a soda-drunken dog about Tarot being an avatar for a dragon and Pete a sore loser of a cosmic player instead of being is owner...
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know what this brings up an interesting point why was Pete imprisoned in the woods anyway? Maybe he broke the rules worse at one point and The Spirit Dragon quit and used her powers to trap him? (That means I'm right they didn't create the world only decided to play with it.) But that's like the only theory I've got.

Edit: or the U&U game is nothing more then a metaphor for something King can't understand (Probably not but its a thought)
Last edited by IceKitsune on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

What i would give to play a cosmic game of d&D. also, Pete said baby. hmmmmm
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

IceKitsune wrote:You know what this brings up an interesting point why was Pete imprisoned in the woods anyway? Maybe he broke the rules worse at one point and The Spirit Dragon quit and used her powers to trap him? (That means I'm right they didn't create the world only decided to play with it.) But that's like the only theory I've got.
Maybe he activated one of Tarot's trap cards.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know if this is just a dream of Kings (I really don't think so but I'm just saying if it is) how much of it would be true the whole U&U game wouldn't be obviously but what about The Spirit Dragon? Or would none of it be true at all?
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I liked it.

For me it was a good way to deal with people going "The comic's getting way too serious for me." and to remind people I think to not take the comic so bloody serious. Of course there are going to be people angry that what seemed to be a build up to a fight between two comic level beings is simply a rather advanced game of D&D but again, this is a webcomic about Housepets. I'm reading it for fun and so far thought all of the arcs, i've had that.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I think Rick has found a very good balance between comedy and drama, a lot like a sad clown.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Foxstar wrote:I liked it.

For me it was a good way to deal with people going "The comic's getting way too serious for me." and to remind people I think to not take the comic so bloody serious. Of course there are going to be people angry that what seemed to be a build up to a fight between two comic level beings is simply a rather advanced game of D&D but again, this is a webcomic about Housepets. I'm reading it for fun and so far thought all of the arcs, i've had that.
This I agree with this

And another point I want to bring up to all the people who are complaining that its all just a game of D&D (or U&U in this case) which its not really anyway since they didn't create the world and only decided to play a game of U&U with what was already there. I read OoTS and Goblins and both of them really are just D&D games it doesn't make them any less interesting or fun to read nor does it make me care about the characters any less.
ctcmjh wrote:I think Rick has found a very good balance between comedy and drama, a lot like a sad clown.
Also I agree with this
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

valerio wrote:I hereby invoke again two of the three Sacred Housepets Rules

1) Speculation is futile
3) In Rick we trust!
Out of curiosity, what's the second rule?
Take wrong turns. Talk to strangers. Open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing. Do things without always knowing how they'll turn out. - Randall Munroe

My Steam account.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jersey wrote:
valerio wrote:I hereby invoke again two of the three Sacred Housepets Rules

1) Speculation is futile
3) In Rick we trust!
Out of curiosity, what's the second rule?
Housepets! rule number two:

Silly is a fan's status!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I'm so glad it's not a game of Yatzee,
It would be rather dangerous to base the fate of the universe (or something) on some random dice rolls.

o...wait.. ow no.

Fast, some one Teleport Joey in there so he can save us!
Last edited by Kyderra on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Kyderra wrote:I'm so glad it's not a game of Yatzee,
It would be rather dangerous to base the fate of the universe (or something) on some random dice rolls.

o...wait.. ow no.
I think the whole fate of the universe thing is most likely hyperbole
Bolly

Post by Bolly »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Although I do agree with Foxstar to an extent, I still find this... ridiculous. All the characters so far have been D&D figures in a game played by two beings that created the world? Come on....
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

valerio

Post by valerio »

nope!
The housepets world was not created out of a whim of the players. It exists in its own right, and it also is a part of a U&U edition.
For reasons yet to be revealed, this game focuses on a particular world, HP's, with strict prohibitions of directly meddling with its inhabitants' fate. 'Nudging' their lives is appropriate, tho, but not as all-powerful overlords. That's why, for example, Tarot/Dragon chose Peanut as her 'pawn' (?) as Pete chose King, instead of intervning herself in the moment Pete was going to be set free...

This is as I see IT
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The way i see it, i think it's still all real, but noone will believe King. Probably because the way the whole thing's being played is alot more subtle than it is. That, and of course everyone that he talks to in this arc will chalk it up to the Orange Soda halucination excuse.

I don't mind this revelation. it's funny to have a comic world with silly religious figures who at the same time behave that the universe is a game. It's just like what people said earlier though and myself: it becomes alot more difficult to predict where this is going at this point. I doubt we'll ever see Pete and the Spirit Dragon make any larger than life decisions regarding any characters (with the exception of Tarot and King at this point) but i think that's what people are afraid of as well: what kind of meddling these two will do.

So my final verdict in the end is that things will still be the same as usual, just now we know most of the reasons for their meddlings. Tarot will still be her psychic ditsy self, and King will still be his stubborn self in the end. Whether Tarot or King will have Pete or the Dragon rule their lives is yet to be seen.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

I've gotta say, I kinda agree with Buckdida. I mean, it's Rick's comic to do with whatever he pleases, I'd never presume to try and tell him to take something in a different direction, but I also believe as a fan of the comic it's your duty to say not only when you love something, but also when you don't, and I... don't love this ^^
Don't get me wrong, it's well written and drawn and all, but it's just not up my street. To quote Buckdida; "it broke my willing suspension of disbelief"
This is not meant to be some whine or moan about the direction of the comic, I'm simply stating my opinion of it, which is that I don't particularly like it.
*Looks around Housepets! forum*
Please don't lynch me...
valerio

Post by valerio »

*Looks around Housepets! forum*
Please don't lynch me...
And why?
Right now, Rick must be smirking with the fun he's having with our feeble minds, ready to surprise yet again with the easiest solution.
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

I found this comic hilarious. What, exactly, do you people who are complaining want? If Rick gets dramatic it becomes:

*flailing arms* "OMG! Cerebreus Syndrome!!!one!"

so Rick does something almost completely opposite and it becomes:

*flailing arms* "OMG! Teh comic is borked!!!one!"

Seriously, get a grip on yourselves people. It's a comic. If Rick wants to do silly, let him do silly. If Rick wants to do serious, let him do serious. If he wants to say the Houspets! world is supported by four elephants who in turn stand on the back of a giant sea turtle who is swimming in the cosmic sea towards an unknowable future, that's his perrogative. And if you don't like that make your own web comic!
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Interesting twist to this whole section of weirdness like you said Rick... :shock: Wow. You sure know to twist our minds Rick. But they look on the bright side, at least this isn't the game or Yugioh. xD.

Edit: Added some more words.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Personally, there's only two logical explainations:

1) King is still drooling on the floor of Pete's house.

2) King OD'd on orange soda and is either trippin' or unconscious.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Kitch wrote:Personally, there's only two logical explainations:

1) King is still drooling on the floor of Pete's house.

2) King OD'd on orange soda and is either trippin' or unconscious.

Either way, there is no way the other HP characters would believe him at first.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

A dragon and a griffin playing D&D.. well now I have seen a modern amount of things.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Kyderra wrote:A dragon and a griffin playing D&D.. well now I have seen a modern amount of things.
I got to put this on my to do list. Learn more about this D&D. (No, I never played it)
Last edited by Barkeron on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.