2014/04/30 - Contractual Obligations

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

2014/04/30 - Contractual Obligations

Post by Dissension »

[ Contractual Obligations ]

Title Text: Look, in the cosmic sense we're not necessarily ''evil'' but you gotta admit the whole contract motif really seals the drama

Pete's really good at suddenly being right behind you; I wonder if he took lessons or is just naturally talented.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Iceheart

Re: 2014/04/30 - Contractual Obligations

Post by Iceheart »

They couldn't have this conversation downstairs.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I dont judge Kings decisions, but if it were me I would summon Pete in the day time and not that late
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

What is this new information? Another potential avatar for Pete? A way for him to get around needing one? Something else entirely?

Also, what is Bailey about to see?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The joy of reading a comic is when you think you have something figured out until you see it in action.

That being said, you know Bailey is going to be involved. ...but seeing that contract infront of King makes me think one possibility is that King's not going to be the one signing it...
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I wonder if Bailey is going to be able to see Pete, that would be interesting. Even if we ignore the fact that he has a boon he can use from Kitsune, couldn't Dragon just turn him back to King after Pete turned him into Joel anyway? It seems like something Dragon would easily do and since it would be a quick turn back and forth Heaven wouldn't mind since his soul wouldn't have to change places anyway.

Also since, as per this strip, Pete doesn't actually need this gambit and there are too many ways for King to get out of it why is Pete even bothering at this point?
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Aaaaand already things are starting to get real.

Also, man, artwork sure is looking snazzy today. Don't know what it is, but the last couple of strips make it look like the comic's had another art bump. It's subtle, but noticeable.

I'm already into this. Two days to wait for the next strip. Hoo boy. This is gonna be a hard one.
*cough*
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

IceKitsune wrote:Also since, as per this strip, Pete doesn't actually need this gambit and there are too many ways for King to get out of it why is Pete even bothering at this point?
He called King his "plan B", so I assume the little corgi is still his best shot at this, and we all know Pete's not above a little coercion. :P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Doesn't it suck when you have things figured out, only for it to not matter in the slightest?

And of course, having an eagle/lion thing in your bedroom would definitely wake someone up. That and the fact that King was just yelling.

I recall Pete laughing maniacally when Dragon told him of Bailey. A part of me feels like she will be involved somehow.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Perpetualflight

Post by Perpetualflight »

I wonder if Bailey is going to get involved in the cosmic plot now. :? I so cannot wait to find out what happens, and yes I know that goes without saying for all the readers.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

IceKitsune wrote:I wonder if Bailey is going to be able to see Pete, that would be interesting.
I dont think she can see him because he might be "not there", as happened here
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Cannot be unseen!

Pillow face is not amused (panel 4)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It seems Kings' time of decision is now upon him...

Oh dear Oh King
what have you done?
You invoke the Griffin
and now he has come,
with grin and contract,
to capture your name
before Bailey arrives
and enters the game.
So will you sign it?
Will you be his avatar?
Will you deny him
and risk him going that far?
You've called him on pride
and he's tugging on yours
begging the question
Children. Feet or paws?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
valerio

Post by valerio »

so, Pete *does* need a formal obligation since he can't obviously circumvent King's free will... But the fun part about all of this is that we *never* learnt what being an avatar means! For all King knows he's just fussing over a minor chore, since he'd be basically working for a godly TEENAGER.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Yo, this is getting bad: They're gonna need to make their roof Celestial Physics resistant!

Bailey, it's time you know the truth. You know, King is a terrible husband, a good Marriage can not last with secrets being kept, it's just not right.
Vyath

Post by Vyath »

will Bailey find out King's secret? Oh, WHY do I have to wait two more days till the next installment?!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Vyath wrote:will Bailey find out King's secret? Oh, WHY do I have to wait two more days till the next installment?!
Could be worse. Friday cliffhangers have a THREE day wait.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Darastrixen

Post by Darastrixen »

There have been very, very few times that my jaw has literally dropped, but this is one of those times. I was literally gawking open-mouthed at the end of today's comic. I might just be reading this wrong, but it seems to me that Pete is there for Baily. He tells King that he's right. It's possible he simply means about the part where Pete is too prideful to surrender, but I think it much more likely that he meant it all: that King isn't his only option; namely, I think he plans to use Baily. Can you imagine how she's going to feel when she learns the truth? King's been holding it together pretty well so far, but if Baily finds out she might be about to lose King? People have made a "deal with the devil" for less.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Okay, so Bailey just woke up to her husband talking to a giant blue Griffon standing next to a giant floating paper, all without his collar on. IT JUST GOT FREAKEN CEREAL UP IN THIS BIZ.
ImageImageImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I say he turns into his human form to take King back, the contract turning into adoption papers.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
KingForevermore
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US

Post by KingForevermore »

Every one just remember ... nothing in thia strip suggests that the contract is for King. Looks like Bailey might be a part of plan B after all :?
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?
PIERULEZ

Post by PIERULEZ »

Interesting.... ;)
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

diss wrote:[ Contractual Obligations ]

Title Text: Look, in the cosmic sense we're not necessarily ''evil'' but you gotta admit the whole contract motif really seals the drama

Pete's really good at suddenly being right behind you; I wonder if he took lessons or is just naturally talented.
Like Slenderman.

*Gasp* Slenderpete!
Feel my icy wrath!
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Wow...this is some pretty heavy stuff. On top of that, his wife is going to either be asking why he's talking to an overgrown pidgeon or nothing at all, depending on how Pete's presence works; either way, King's got some explaining to do!

Also, throwing my prediction in there: Pete basically says "With you turned back into a human, she's going to feel quite betrayed. The heartbreak would consume her, making her the very image of misery...She'd make an even better avatar than you would. >:)" This would lead to King begging to become the avatar to protect her. After signing the contract, King would then wake up back in bed, it having been a dream ("or was it?" :P) and Bailey not knowing about the deal.

That said, even if King becomes the avatar, I sincerely hope he fights with all his might to get his life, Bailey, and any potential stubby-legged huskies back.

Also, with that contract and "sad, naive mortal...", methinks Pete is channelling Ursula (Poor, Unfortunate Soul). :lol:
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

diss wrote:[ Pete's really good at suddenly being right behind you; I wonder if he took lessons or is just naturally talented.
I just remembered this strip https://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/02/ ... ff-a-cliff, and seeing how Pete and most serial killers are antagonists the principle of it should allow Pete to do the old "Teleport Behind You" trick.
BTW has anyone noticed the room got brighter since the last strip? How did that happen? Did Pete turn on the lights as he came in or does he just naturally glow?(Or supernaturally?)
copper wrote:I say he turns into his human form to take King back, the contract turning into adoption papers.
If I know Pete right that's what he'll do, but can only hope that he doesn't.
Argent

Post by Argent »

KingForevermore wrote:Every one just remember ... nothing in thia strip suggests that the contract is for King. Looks like Bailey might be a part of plan B after all :?
Bailey would be more disobedient donkey as an avatar than King ever could. Remember FACE?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Oh man carp just got real! :o
Discostew wrote:Cannot be unseen!

Pillow face is not amused (panel 4)
I didn't notice it until now. :lol:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Vyath wrote:will Bailey find out King's secret? Oh, WHY do I have to wait two more days till the next installment?!
Could be worse. Friday cliffhangers have a THREE day wait.
Or a whole week. :P
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

God, I despise Pete... I'll be a little surprised if he gets what's coming to him, though...
legionbunny

Post by legionbunny »

Obbl wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Also since, as per this strip, Pete doesn't actually need this gambit and there are too many ways for King to get out of it why is Pete even bothering at this point?
He called King his "plan B", so I assume the little corgi is still his best shot at this, and we all know Pete's not above a little coercion. :P
this brings up a new issue though. Pete said that the dark paladin (king) is powered by discontent,that means that now that king has fallen in love and gotten married (happily) that he is weaker since he enjoys life as a dog. Petes gambit to make him into an unhappy angry dog failed, he is still somewhat discontent, but less so than if he hadn't met Bailey, he still wants the ordeal to end but it looks to me like the ball is ever so slightly in petes court.
KingForevermore
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US

Post by KingForevermore »

Argent wrote:
KingForevermore wrote:Every one just remember ... nothing in thia strip suggests that the contract is for King. Looks like Bailey might be a part of plan B after all :?
Bailey would be more disobedient donkey as an avatar than King ever could. Remember FACE?
You also must remember that adding Bailey to the equation will also force king to surrender to Petes plan ( like a hostage )

AND if things go too far Bailey might learn kings secret! :o
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?
Huskyfox

Post by Huskyfox »

What will Bailey see? Is King's goose cooked? How many times DOES King have to sign the contract? What is the outcome..the world may never know
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

I just noticed that the banner changed, and no longer has "connected by the red string of fate." I hope this isn't a bad sign...
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

It is, It IIIS THE SIIIGN!!! *laughs maniacally*

-ahem- I mean... yes, let's hope it was just a redesigning decision for aethetics... Will see how many signatures there will be on that paper on Friday.
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I swear if Bailey is also a Dark Paladin I'll be back when this whole thing is over with. I really, really hope this Arc is the last time we have to deal with this Cosmic Nerd stuff.
Satsura

Post by Satsura »

Well that is a contract you WON'T want to skip to the accept button...
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

IceKitsune wrote:I swear if Bailey is also a Dark Paladin I'll be back when this whole thing is over with. I really, really hope this Arc is the last time we have to deal with this Cosmic Nerd stuff.
Gasp! Bailey? Also a dark paladin?
That gives me an idea. Plot twist: what if Bailey was also once human and is in the exact same predicament King is in right now? That would be so not meta though, and probably would not make sense at all. But I guess nothing really makes sense when you learn that your fate is being controlled by cosmic entities under the obscure rules of some ridiculous game.

I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to like Pete, being the devious and manipulative character he is. He also got a lot fluffier since we last saw him too!

Also, on an unrelated note, the revelation of King's secret to Bailey doesn't quite scare me as much as King's revelation to Fox...
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

IceKitsune wrote:I swear if Bailey is also a Dark Paladin I'll be back when this whole thing is over with. I really, really hope this Arc is the last time we have to deal with this Cosmic Nerd stuff.
My guess is that if King's secret is spilled, there's likely to be some heartbreak from the betrayal at first. While this would likely turn into forgiveness and renewed love in time (provided the love is strong, which it probably is), Pete sinking his deceitful talons into Bailey could make that period last longer, and making her into a backup Dark Paladin. However, Pete knows he can manipulate King by threatening his wife, so King is the better DP, Pete's just doing a little arm-twisting to get what he wants. Can't wait to see his non-godlike form...he's probably a complete spoiled brat of a teenager. :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

deepskycyan wrote:That gives me an idea. Plot twist: what if Bailey was also once human and is in the exact same predicament King is in right now?
"In truth, I'm just another little boy having a dream." -- Looney Tunes, "A Waggily Tail"
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Lucid_Dragon wrote:
My guess is that if King's secret is spilled, there's likely to be some heartbreak from the betrayal at first. While this would likely turn into forgiveness and renewed love in time (provided the love is strong, which it probably is), Pete sinking his deceitful talons into Bailey could make that period last longer, and making her into a backup Dark Paladin. However, Pete knows he can manipulate King by threatening his wife, so King is the better DP, Pete's just doing a little arm-twisting to get what he wants. Can't wait to see his non-godlike form...he's probably a complete spoiled brat of a teenager. :P
I don't think Bailey is a Dark Paladin. She isn't prone to the grumps. Pete said that Dark Paladins are powered by discontent, which doesn't seem to fit Bailey at all. She was content even when her old family had to give her up and agrees with Sasha that King always focuses on the negative.
Karl

Post by Karl »

GO PETE!!!
I'm a bookworm!