2014/05/09 - How Charged With Punishments The Scroll

Post by Obbl »

[ How Charged With Punishments The Scroll ]

Title Text: PETE IS UPSIDE DOWN THIS MUST MEAN no it doesn't

Pete is clearly being very reasonable
Gren

Re: 2014/05/09 - How Charged With Punishments The Scroll

Post by Gren »

“Brutal Combat”... so I was right when I said the duel is most likely to be a deathmatch, huh?

So this can only mean one thing: Either King or Tarot will cease to exist permanently from this comic. So that means the conclusion will have a happy ending for one side and a sad ending for the other side. I have to admit it sounds harsh but also interesting and intriguing. Which side would have to suffer the most: Peanut/Sabrina or Bailey/Fox? Who of them will be erased and who will bear the burden of his/her death?
There's also the possibility that the winner decide to keep the avatar for the main game and who knows what could happen with that. But one thing is clear: we are not going to see him/her either. Well, at least for a while.

I just remembered why I liked the cosmic game so much. :3
ImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

.... Whilst also managing to be a total jerk about it.
So what's new? :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
TheWolfKin

Post by TheWolfKin »

I'm just really noticing the title of this arc, and now I have the song running through my head. It's not helping when I realize how much of the lyrics apply to King's story arc as a whole. I really, really don't want this to end badly for King (Or Bailey, or Fox, or anyone but Pete, really. He's a jerk), but I'm having issues seeing it end any other way.

In the meantime, I really do think that Bailey should make do on her promise of playing Badminton from a few pages back. Might teach Pete a lesson.
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

I wouldn't have been surprised if King's answer in panel 3 was 'No thanks to you' instead. Pete may have caused very much of what has happened to King, good and bad, but it's still always been for his own gain.

Is that 'unbecoming' part meant to reference or parallel this?
Last edited by Hedronal on Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So now that we have complete confirmation that the non-King side of this storyline is nothing more then two nerds having a fist fight over a game of D&D; that I will remind you we know nothing about. I will again ask this: Why in the world couldn't the two of them have just picked a dead/blank universe and beat the snot out of each other there? The whole thing just comes down to that exact same thing anyway. There is no difference other then needlessly involving people who have nothing to do with the whole thing.

Also I don't understand the title to this strip is it a reference to something or what? Edit: Never mind its from the poem Invictus.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Fri May 09, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gren wrote:“Brutal Combat”... so I was right when I said the duel is most likely to be a deathmatch, huh?

So this can only mean one thing: Either King or Tarot will cease to exist permanently from this comic. So that means the conclusion will have a happy ending for one side and a sad ending for the other side. I have to admit it sounds harsh but also interesting and intriguing. Which side would have to suffer the most: Peanut/Sabrina or Bailey/Fox? Who of them will be erased and who will bear the burden of his/her death?
There's also the possibility that the winner decide to keep the avatar for the main game and who knows what could happen with that. But one thing is clear: we are not going to see him/her either. Well, at least for a while.

There's also the possibility that Pete's lying and the 'Brutal combat' is a game of Scrabble.

It's not in the mansion, this room.
Pete doesn't travel so he brought you to him.
He brought you and the bed to talk
because, King, he wants to hear you sing.
His punishment for your defiance is clear.
He wants to break your wedded bliss.
He wants to make you a miserable avatar;
fighting for him after you agree to this.
Bailey is the wild card in his looping logic.
She's the given boon that he can use.
He needs to be careful and straight
because he sees she's got a short fuse.
That last comment of his, King? A threat.
This deal? Could be the best you'll get.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: There's also the possibility that Pete's lying and the 'Brutal combat' is a game of Scrabble.
Yes because lying about it at this point and making it sound like a deadly fist fight is totally going to make King want to help him more then before. If that's the case then Pete is more of an idiot then I thought.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Pete continues to be amazing.

I really do wonder how Bailey is going to react going from here. I can only imagine right now that she's incredibly confused.
*cough*
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

IceKitsune wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: There's also the possibility that Pete's lying and the 'Brutal combat' is a game of Scrabble.
Yes because lying about it at this point and making it sound like a deadly fist fight is totally going to make King want to help him more then before. If that's the case then Pete is more of an idiot then I thought.
No, it just strikes me that, if the 'brutal combat' is going to be physical, Pete wouldn't have made him into a Corgi. He likes screwing with King/Joel's head.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gren

Post by Gren »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
No, it just strikes me that, if the 'brutal combat' is going to be physical, Pete wouldn't have made him into a Corgi. He likes screwing with King/Joel's head.
There is no need of brute force when you have magic. Why would he want muscles if the Dark Paladin is powered by discontent?

It is just like IceKitsune said. There's no reason to lie at this point. Besides, Pete wouldn't be THAT idiot.
Last edited by Gren on Fri May 09, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
TheWolfKin

Post by TheWolfKin »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

Thing is, we can try and make some assumptions off of Temple Crashers. It gives a peak into the "Celestial World", in a sense. Inside Pete's temple things work similar to an RPG. And King was originally intended to be a Dark Paladin class, right? It's entirely possible that the Brutal Combat will be similar to what we saw in Temple Crashers, but more epic. Where it's not physical form but spirit that more determines the capabilities of the fighter. After all, Daryl was an archer with relatively scrawny Karishad being the Warrior.

We won't know until said brutal combat happens, however.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:No, it just strikes me that, if the 'brutal combat' is going to be physical, Pete wouldn't have made him into a Corgi. He likes screwing with King/Joel's head.
keep in mind the combat is against a pomeranian, and involves magic probably. and screwing with King/Joel includes making him an adorable little corgi instead of a big dog that would easily beat Tarot in a physical conflict.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Go on King! Strike him down! It won't help much but you will feel muuuuuch better. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gren wrote: There is no need of brute force when you have magic. Why would he want muscles if the Dark Paladin is powered by discontent?

It is just like IceKitsune said. There's no reason to lie at this point. Besides, Pete wouldn't be THAT idiot.
True. It's quite possible I'm wrong. It's also possible that Pete just can't stop himself. I know of people like that. We shall see where it goes together. And it'll be good.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

In many ways, King admitting that he likes his new life is a much bigger admission then him being formerly human!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Welp this counts like SOME good way to end the week and ease up on the tension a bit.
Coming next: BRUTAL Avatar Arena, only for Nintendo 3D -today with flashy special effects and popcorn if you buy the limited-edition HEAVENLY FATE pack!
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

...I'm beginning to wonder if King can just ask Dragon to see if what Pete's attempting is a legit move within their cosmic game. She does, after all, seem to be a far more trustworthy source of information.
Byakko110

Post by Byakko110 »

Nice try Pete, but don't buy it King.
If a guy deliberately burns my house in order to settle a bet with some friends of his I would be pretty upset with him. Even if I were to eventually find new, better house to live in I still wouldn't feel any sort of obligation towards the arsonist. While Pete is directly responsible for King's change his current happiness it is in spite of Pete's efforts, not because of them.
Last edited by Byakko110 on Fri May 09, 2014 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

max7345 wrote:...I'm beginning to wonder if King can just ask Dragon to see if what Pete's attempting is a legit move within their cosmic game. She does, after all, seem to be a far more trustworthy source of information.
and also She might know a way for King to stay a dog without becoming Pete's avatar.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Acritic2 wrote:
max7345 wrote:...I'm beginning to wonder if King can just ask Dragon to see if what Pete's attempting is a legit move within their cosmic game. She does, after all, seem to be a far more trustworthy source of information.
and also She might know a way for King to stay a dog without becoming Pete's avatar.
That should be easy enough, and there is the slight chance that King is also buying time: soon, the soulwatch will countdown to zero. And by then, Joel's fate will be for King to send back to its proper place, thus leaving King a dog forever in body and soul, or become human again by keeping Joel's fate.
That would also explain WHY Pete set up a deadline for this meeting: he knows his time is running out. And it's a safe bet that he'll do his worst (at least within the Game's ruling) to force King into a decision.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

And then it turns out 'Brutal Combat' is actually a game show. With Pete and Dragon snarking at one another.

Although that's putting it lightly. The only thing that I would find silly about this duel is if it turns out to be some sort of Dragon Ball Z beam-o-war deal out in the reaches of space, which I doubt. Or Kirk Vs. Spock. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Mystical entity wrote: I wonder what the forum members have to say about this development...
Personally, I'm just peeved I don't have the time today to photoshop more jewelry on this strip. :)
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

On the bright side Baily doesn't know who king was,(I know he can't reveal it, but pete can and he hasn't yet) so things aren't all that bad yet.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Acritic2 wrote:On the bright side Baily doesn't know who king was,(I know he can't reveal it, but pete can and he hasn't yet) so things aren't all that bad yet.
*ahem* King begs to differ
CreativePr0cess

Post by CreativePr0cess »

Personaly I want Fox to find out he is human as well and just exactly WHAT human he is. Like a lot. I've been waiting for that to happen foreveeeeerrrr.
I cut off an inch from every straw I see so the world will suck a little less.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That'd be pretty sweet!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Obbl wrote:[ How Charged With Punishments The Scroll ]

That means HE IS EVIL BUU!
Attachments
EB.jpg
EB.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 17921 times
Feel my icy wrath!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

CreativePr0cess wrote:Personaly I want Fox to find out he is human as well and just exactly WHAT human he is. Like a lot. I've been waiting for that to happen foreveeeeerrrr.
I wondered about this for a long time, but I always aniticipated it being something like everyone forgiving King for his troubles and asking King what he looked like when he was human. Everyone is like "Awww" when they see it, but Fox is the only one literally looking to choke someone right that second. Can't blame the poor guy, but Fox I noticed has the tendency to be always the cool dog, but on the butt end of major things in this manner and I'm starting to think King will be no exception.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

If King's lucky, Bailey will save him from being mauled into hospitalization. And after that, I see a LONG-time lasting cold shoulder from Fox
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

Obbl wrote:[ How Charged With Punishments The Scroll ]

Pete is upside down because he owes more on his little piece of Heaven than it's worth...

(* Maybe he needs a New Lease on Life *)
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Gren wrote:“Brutal Combat”... so I was right when I said the duel is most likely to be a deathmatch, huh?

There's also the possibility that Pete's lying and the 'Brutal combat' is a game of Scrabble.
To be honest, I had something similar in mind for quite a while: What if the duel is actually leading up to a high-stakes, no holds barred, magically empowered...game of Rock Paper Scissors? :lol:

Also, I agree on this... It might not end well for the moment; in fact, I doubt King will be a free dog by the end of this month. It also brings to mind a few concerns that I thought of recently; some may be more wild than others, but they are random thoughts for how this could all play out.

Thought 1: It's highly likely that this will turn into a "dream...or was it?" plotline, with Bailey wondering if it was true (or, if it only played out in King's mind, Bailey won't have any knowledge of the dastardly dodo's plot. Assuming King signs the contract, Pete is going to want to cause as much misery as quickly as possible for his Dark-Paladin-in-Training. While separating King from Bailey anyways is a likely plan of action, how heart-wrenching would it be to order King to basically tell Bailey to "shove off," especially if the scene plays out so Bailey has no knowledge of the game? It would surely cause King a great amount of stress, which will benefit Pete. Granted, I think if given the choice, King would rather face Pete's wrath than break his wife's heart, but let's face it: Pete is a jerk, through and through.

Thought 2: It's no secret that Tarot and Spirit Dragon are not on the best of terms at the moment. At this rate, it seems quite plausible for SD to lose the duel. What if, in a desperate, final move, SD chose a new avatar, not to get an upper hand in the game, but to make it IMPOSSIBLE for Pete to win. The avatar: Bailey. I don't know if Bailey has any traits that would make her a great player character, but two things come to mind that reinforce this possibility.

A. If Pete has limitless ways to win the game, as King discovered, who's to say SD doesn't have limitless options as well?

B. If I know King, he would resist with all his might if he were forced to draw his sword/spade/whatever weapon he would have against his wife, giving Pete a hard time in the battle and giving SD a chance to strike; knowing SD, I'd think she would avoid a killing blow in this situation.

Thought 3: This sort of goes hand-in-hand with thought 2, but I got to thinking about the boon that is promised to King, and a grim, yet very real, possibility: That he would be forced to use the boon on someone other than himself. The thought that came to mind with this would be if Bailey (or maybe even Fox) were killed as part of the battle, King would give up the chance to stay a dog to resurrect them. It's very tragic, but it would be a testament to King's character. One can only hope that after that, Great Kitsune, SD, the power of love, or whatever would allow King to return to reclaim his happy "life and wife."

...that all said, I have confidence in the direction Rick is taking. I hope for the best as this great arc continues...

...it's going to be a painfully long 61 hours and 30 minutes. ^^;
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Obbl wrote:Title Text:[/b] PETE IS UPSIDE DOWN THIS MUST MEAN no it doesn't
What does it mean?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Saturn381 wrote:
What does it mean?
Reference to when unreality checked in and it was going to be all a dream.
Not this time.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Saturn381 wrote:
What does it mean?
Pete is down under?
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I have this sligh feeling that Pete is enjoying this
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Silly alt text, fish are the one who turn upside down when dead, not giant guacamayos!

I always considered that Joel/King marrying Bailey without confiding about his past was a real jerk move, especially knowing that Pete would show up again at any moment to demand him to do stuff for him again!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

This wait is seriously, seriously going to be excruciating. ;.;
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Silly Zealot wrote:I always considered that Joel/King marrying Bailey without confiding about his past was a real jerk move, especially knowing that Pete would show up again at any moment to demand him to do stuff for him again!
I think you are right, but how should he had THAT explained to her?
"Bailey I was once a human, who tried to dognap your cousin but know we are best friends."?
Actually I'm surprised, that Bailey takes that so...well without any snarky comments. :shock:

I hope she won't think about something like a divorce from her husband :?
metaecho

Post by metaecho »

I've been lost with this thing since the very beginning, but if I understand what you all have said,why can't king team up with the great dragon and take out pete? Or just take pete out himself?

(For better or worse though, I'm really looking foreward to seeing the super-warrior form king or whatever.. x3 )