2014/05/14 - For Love And Justice

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gren

Re: 2014/05/14 - For Love And Justice

Post by Gren »

Obbl wrote:Gren, Rick's had this arc planned for several months...
To me, it seems that Fido would have been the only other one who might have fit this role, but I think it would have been difficult to get Fido in on this with his connection to Sabrina, who is probably herself rather protected. Here he has the perfect opportunity because King only knows so much and is pretty powerless himself to stop any of Pete's machinations, and Bailey knows nothing at all about any of this. I think it's actually a very well thought out plan by Pete.
The case of Fido was just an hypothetical example to prove my point. Why he bothered to make such a complicated long-term plan when he could have simply looked for another couple and tricked one of the lovers to fight for him? Perhaps one with a terminal disease with promises of a cure? But no, he had to transform a human into a dog, steal a piece of his soul from heaven and then wait till he fall in love and get married, without forgetting he had to wait till a billionaire ferret enter his temple making a deal with him and thus, buying the farm where the female dog who was his real objetive was living, forcing her to move to BG. Yup, that definitely sounds like a plan.
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:
Obbl wrote:Gren, Rick's had this arc planned for several months...
To me, it seems that Fido would have been the only other one who might have fit this role, but I think it would have been difficult to get Fido in on this with his connection to Sabrina, who is probably herself rather protected. Here he has the perfect opportunity because King only knows so much and is pretty powerless himself to stop any of Pete's machinations, and Bailey knows nothing at all about any of this. I think it's actually a very well thought out plan by Pete.
The case of Fido was just an hypothetical example to prove my point. Why he bothered to make such a complicated long-term plan when he could have simply looked for another couple and tricked one of the lovers to fight for him? Perhaps one with a terminal disease with promises of a cure? But no, he had to transform a human into a dog, steal a piece of his soul from heaven and then wait till he fall in love and get married, without forgetting he had to wait till a billionaire ferret enter his temple making a deal with him and thus, buying the farm where the female dog who was his real objetive was living, forcing her to move to BG. Yup, that definitely sounds like a plan.
Pete I'm certain knows how King and Bailey's life will be since he is omnipotent. The reason I think he chose Bailey is because he realizes all the things King did for Bailey have the strongest impact on her out of all the other characters. His confession to Bailey and the whole marriage and eternal love idea swept her, which so far I'm certain puts them on the highest bar already in that their relationship is the most serious and the quickest. The only one I could assume that could come close to this kind of devotion so far is Fido and Sabrina. All the other characters haven't grown into these kind of relations yet.
Last edited by GameCobra on Wed May 14, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gren wrote:The case of Fido was just an hypothetical example to prove my point. Why he bothered to make such a complicated long-term plan when he could have simply looked for another couple and tricked one of the lovers to fight for him? Perhaps one with a terminal disease with promises of a cure? But no, he had to transform a human into a dog, steal a piece of his soul from heaven and then wait till he fall in love and get married, without forgetting he had to wait till a billionaire ferret enter his temple making a deal with him and thus, buying the farm where the female dog who was his real objetive was living, forcing her to move to BG. Yup, that definitely sounds like a plan.
We don't know of any other couples that fit the bill, and if Rick had added one in for this, we all would have called him on it (can you say "plot convenience"?). As it stands now, Pete only had to get Bailey moved in to Babylon Gardens (and we don't know he had a hand in that yet, though the possibility certainly exists), and just let nature take its course with the rest. It's not that difficult a plot and seems to have yielded a nice outcome.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Argent wrote:I think Bailey in the last panel is just enthusiastic about the idea of running laps around Alaska.
*Passes Alaskan jogger* "On your left!" :D
ImageImageImageImage
Huskyfox

Post by Huskyfox »

Much transform, such armor, so fight...although you gotta htink though..what happens is Bailey loses..and..what will Fox say when he finds out King's true identity?! 8-)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Aaaah!!!! That autobot opened up and Laika was inside!!!
SuperStar wrote:Really, if Housepets doesn't have a codifier for "Jump The Shark" on TVTropes, now it does. :|
Do you actually not remember all the other times this webcomic has gone military-grade crazy?
Argent wrote:I think Bailey in the last panel is just enthusiastic about the idea of running laps around Alaska.
She' gone mad with power.
deepskycyan wrote:Wonder why Pete wants her to "hold off". Is he implying that Bailey needs to conserve her strength for the big fight? She's not even had training! A 'FACE!' probably won't fare well against magic, I'm sure.
I'm more concerned that he is already patronizing her by calling her "dear". It could have been worse, but still...

And don't you worry, Ryusuta, all the characters have been changing, minor ones included ( Look at Yeltsin, for one!). You have to remember, though, magical gryphons that live millions of years before coming of age take a wee bit more time on maturing.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gren

Post by Gren »

GameCobra wrote:Pete I'm certain knows how King and Bailey's life will be since he is omnipotent. The reason I think he chose Bailey is because he realizes all the things King did for Bailey have the strongest impact on her out of all the other characters. His confession to Bailey and the whole marriage and eternal love idea swept her, which so far I'm certain puts them on the highest bar already in that their relationship is the most serious and the quickest. The only one I could assume that could come close to this kind of devotion so far is Fido and Sabrina. All the other characters haven't grown into these kind of relations yet.
Obbl wrote:We don't know of any other couples that fit the bill, and if Rick had added one in for this, we all would have called him on it (can you say "plot convenience"?). As it stands now, Pete only had to get Bailey moved in to Babylon Gardens (and we don't know he had a hand in that yet, though the possibility certainly exists), and just let nature take its course with the rest. It's not that difficult a plot and seems to have yielded a nice outcome.
Neither of you seem to get my point yet. The thing is, why he bothered to look for a Dark Paladin in the first place when he knew there was another class equally powerful and much easier to get an avatar?
And what is this “plot convenience” you are talking about? Because I was just talking in the hypothetical case that none of this has ever happened. Instead of looking for Joel/King (who appeared from nowhere only with this purpose and turned into a dog, such like you call “plot convenience” or how do you think characters are introduced in the first place?) he should have looked for a good prospect suitable for the White Avenger class (introducing him/her at the moment instead of King). He could have done this after King's appearance too. He gave up with Grape quite easy. Why he didn't give up with King till this very moment? King wasn't in love at the moment of the meeting with the GM when Pete learned that he had no more chance with him. Why he didn't give up with him at that moment? Why bother so much in order to get his wife? Then why he didn't bothered at all to get Max or Peanut back then? Sorry, but anything of this has sense to me. All of this looks like a big Deus ex machina.

I'm not questioning the love that Bailey and King shares. I'm sure they truly love each other. But what I'm saying is that there was a lot of unnecessary stuff in the way till this point of the story if this was going to be what Pete had planned.
ImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Gren, you are causing serious injuries to the suspension of disbelief!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gren wrote:Neither of you seem to get my point yet. The thing is, why he bothered to look for a Dark Paladin in the first place when he knew there was another class equally powerful and much easier to get an avatar?
I do get what you mean, but I think we mentioned before that the Dark Paladin was likely just there to convince the others that this was the reason he wanted King.

If it helps, another way to look at it is that King was always a target ~ it just didn't matter if it was King or Bailey that joined him. Pete may have had to put a lot of work into getting King into the position he was in just now just to get him to turn over, but the moment Bailey jumped in, it didn't matter to him ~ They were both good choices. Since Pete mentioned that King gave Bailey devotion in the last comic, it was likely Pete had to wait until Bailey was willing to show more devotion before he could choose her.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Silly Zealot wrote:Gren, you are causing serious injuries to the suspension of disbelief!
Then ignore my ravings--I mean, ramblings!
GameCobra wrote:I do get what you mean, but I think we mentioned before that the Dark Paladin was likely just there to convince the others that this was the reason he wanted King.

If it helps, another way to look at it is that King was always a target ~ it just didn't matter if it was King or Bailey that joined him. Pete may have had to put a lot of work into getting King into the position he was in just now just to get him to turn over, but the moment Bailey jumped in, it didn't matter to him ~ They were both good choices. Since Pete mentioned that King gave Bailey devotion in the last comic, it was likely Pete had to wait until Bailey was willing to show more devotion before he could choose her.
But why? Why bother so much if there was a much easier way to get a White Avenger? Besides King wasn't in love yet when he tried to convince the other players. And not even Dragon has such foreshadowing skills to see so far in the future and with such precision. There were so many inexplicable coincidences and a lot of unnecesary stuff to get to this point but whatever, I'm probably thinking on this too much. I guess I can't expect a logical explanation in this comic.
ImageImage
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

I was thinking about this today. If Bailey had to be swept away for some training or whatever, how would King explain the situation of Bailey being missing? The only ones that he could talk to about it are Tarot and Sabrina, but if anyone else asks, like Fox, what could he say? I could imagine him trying to hold off on saying anything, like "oops, I got a cake in the oven, I gotta go!", but soon people will begin to get suspicious.

Then again, Pete could sweep her to a place where there is subjective time, assuming she doesn't age during the process as his avatar. In any case, with Bailey being a White Avenger, a class based on love and fury, I doubt Pete would attempt to ruin King's and Bailey's relationship as that directly affects her as his avatar. So, I can at least find comfort in that.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Pete could foreshadow everything, Gren, because everybody knows that, just as elephants never forget, parakeets never fail to know what will happen! (except when it comes to not being locked in their own buildings for millenia.)

Now Bailey's first test of power will be to defeat the dragon's secret infiltrated minion: Bill, her relatively new owner.

Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Nice little showing of solidarity on Pete's part by putting Bailey in power armor c: she"LL bee fiiine!
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

diss wrote:I realized after finishing this, Bailey looks a bit like Samus in that
I was thinking a female space-marine, but I guess I can see that.....
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
diss wrote:I realized after finishing this, Bailey looks a bit like Samus in that
I was thinking a female space-marine, but I guess I can see that.....
That's what I thought too when the helmet was off
John-056

Post by John-056 »

You know, my first thoughts of looking at Bailey's new armor was Fallout's T-51B power armor combined with Fallout 3's regular Enclave Power Armor.

Hm... Still, I have to hope that Bailey doesn't change. She's fine just the way she is.

Although now I keep seeing her with a Pipboy 3000.

Also, I still don't Trust Pete. What was the Duel about anyway? Dragon not wanting to go out with Pete?
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
bug1

Post by bug1 »

Gren, I think I might have something to add.
Gren wrote:But why? Why bother so much if there was a much easier way to get a White Avenger? Besides King wasn't in love yet when he tried to convince the other players. And not even Dragon has such foreshadowing skills to see so far in the future and with such precision. There were so many inexplicable coincidences and a lot of unnecesary stuff to get to this point but whatever, I'm probably thinking on this too much. I guess I can't expect a logical explanation in this comic.
:geek: The reason for the unnecessary's is (and this is just an educated guess) that Pete like the rest of us has this feeling of the unattainable, not for the "White Avenger" but for wining in a sense against King, finishing the small emotional battle he started. Secondly he didn't plan ALL of this! :roll: He probably came up with it as he went along.
Troll on people Troll on!! :D
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gren wrote:But why? Why bother so much if there was a much easier way to get a White Avenger? Besides King wasn't in love yet when he tried to convince the other players. And not even Dragon has such foreshadowing skills to see so far in the future and with such precision. There were so many inexplicable coincidences and a lot of unnecesary stuff to get to this point but whatever, I'm probably thinking on this too much. I guess I can't expect a logical explanation in this comic.
During the "Dog Days of Summer" arc, you're right, it was likely unpredictable that King and Bailey would be together. But at that time, King was still his best shot. He gave up with Grape because she literally became unusable to him, but King was merely going to be difficult to persuade, not impossible. Hence the attempt to steal King's fate, so as to get some leverage.
As for why he didn't go for White Avenger right away? Well, I assume it's probably not easy to get one. We don't know all the rules surrounding it, and it's likely set up in a way that's more difficult than, "if you become my avatar I'll save your loved one". What the exact rules are I don't know, but it's likely a narrow specification.
Argent

Post by Argent »

bug1 wrote: Secondly he didn't plan ALL of this! :roll: He probably came up with it as he went along.
Given his back-story in the Trial in Heaven, it seems like he's not real good at planning ahead in general.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I doubt getting a White Avenger is that easy. From what Pete mentioned, it requires intervention. Or in this case, someone has to Intercede.

King was his best shot. Bailey joined the fray as time went on as his lover. Bailey jumping in meant she was willingly to take the burden that King was going through with Pete, which Pete strongly pointed out that what Bailey did at that moment was the requirement. If she said no, then fine. King was looking like he was about to submit a few comics back as well, so even if Bailey said no, King would've likely gave up and joined Pete. In the end, everything did fall into Pete's plan.
Gren

Post by Gren »

bug1 wrote: :geek: The reason for the unnecessary's is (and this is just an educated guess) that Pete like the rest of us has this feeling of the unattainable, not for the "White Avenger" but for wining in a sense against King, finishing the small emotional battle he started.

But no matter how you look at it he just seems obsessed with King and is more concerned in messing with his life than to win this match actually. Grape too became unattainable when Zach activated the mana pool in her place, then why he didn't keep trying with her and her closest ones?

bug1 wrote:Secondly he didn't plan ALL of this! :roll: He probably came up with it as he went along.
Yeah, I thought so but the number of coincidences are just ridiculous. There has to be some sneaky underhanded moves behind all of this.
Obbl wrote:During the "Dog Days of Summer" arc, you're right, it was likely unpredictable that King and Bailey would be together. But at that time, King was still his best shot. He gave up with Grape because she literally became unusable to him, but King was merely going to be difficult to persuade, not impossible. Hence the attempt to steal King's fate, so as to get some leverage.
King wasn't in love with her at that moment either (when Pete stole the piece of his soul) and yet Pete didn't give up with him even when that was his last direct chance. But no, he had to gamble that King was going to fall in love somehow in the near future and that love was going to be miraculously so intense that would allow him access to a new class of avatar impossible to attain by other means.
Obbl wrote:As for why he didn't go for White Avenger right away? Well, I assume it's probably not easy to get one. We don't know all the rules surrounding it, and it's likely set up in a way that's more difficult than, "if you become my avatar I'll save your loved one". What the exact rules are I don't know, but it's likely a narrow specification.
Then it's likely than one of those rules has to be to be married with a human in a dog body. As I said, all of this it's too convenient and opportune. I hope there will be some explanation in the coming strips. By the moment, all of this is just another Deus ex machina until proven otherwise.
ImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gren wrote:By the moment, all of this is just another Deus ex machina until proven otherwise.
Seriously Gren? You can't just, even for a moment, assume there's a better reason behind this than Deus Ex Machina? :| Widen your imagination a bit ;)
Gren wrote:King wasn't in love with her at that moment either (when Pete stole the piece of his soul) and yet Pete didn't give up with him even when that was his last direct chance. But no, he had to gamble that King was going to fall in love somehow in the near future and that love was going to be miraculously so intense that would allow him access to a new class of avatar impossible to attain by other means.
I'm confused where you're confused here. You're right that Pete wasn't after Bailey until Bailey showed up in King's life at the very earliest. But my point is, his plan was still to use King as a Dark Paladin. Until Bailey showed up, until he thought of this White Avenger plan, Pete planned to use King as a Dark Paladin. You may note his plans get increasingly desperate. He even steals a piece of King's soul, because he desperately needs some leverage to make King agree to be his avatar. So he wasn't gambling on King falling in love. He was gambling on getting enough leverage to force King to agree to be his avatar.
Then Bailey came along. And at some point between then and now, Pete came up with the idea to get Bailey as a White Avenger. I'm guessing White Avenger is a stronger class in general than Dark Paladin, so that's why the switch.
Argent

Post by Argent »

I still don't think that Pete planned on Bailey becoming a White Avenger. It was sheer chance that King happened to summon Pete in such an idiotic place. Depending on that kind of coincidence would be too much even for David Xanatos.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Bailey is on a power trip.
Bailey wins the Iditarod, the New York marathon, the Boston Marathon, the Giro d'Italia (without bike), concluding with the Le Mans 48hs race (24 is for wussies!)
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

valerio wrote:concluding with the Le Mans 48hs race
Ok, I did a double-take because I accidentally read that as Lamaze.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

King, see what you COULD have had? You COULD have been epic and awesome and fighting for one side of a relatively good cause against the other side of said relatively good cause...

(You guys HAVE picked up on that, right? That Pete and Spirit Dragon BOTH have the SAME good intentions but just have different methods and personalities? Yeah...)
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm not granting Pete good intentions, he said he only promised the "equivocation" of humans and animals (which is itself misleading) out of desperation.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Wasn't it "equalization"?

Argent

Post by Argent »

We All Dream of Equivocation

[...] when you get plastered and start a cult for kicks.
Azsassin

Post by Azsassin »

It seems I just experienced da ja vu or what ever it is. I dreampt of this strip a couple of years ago... This is normal to me, happened so many times :lol: futuristic dreams are coming back to me!
Never join something you can't quit. Join something you will stay in.
~Kevin Fan~
Darquirrin

Post by Darquirrin »

I am remembering during a past arc that Kitsune (the rules lawyer in this little game) said that King was given a Boon due to what he had been through. Let's also keep in mind what Pete said. King was good at turning 'pity into devotion'. Speculation can be preformed that this means something more than just passing reference.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Discostew wrote:I was thinking about this today. If Bailey had to be swept away for some training or whatever, how would King explain the situation of Bailey being missing? The only ones that he could talk to about it are Tarot and Sabrina, but if anyone else asks, like Fox, what could he say? I could imagine him trying to hold off on saying anything, like "oops, I got a cake in the oven, I gotta go!", but soon people will begin to get suspicious.

Then again, Pete could sweep her to a place where there is subjective time, assuming she doesn't age during the process as his avatar. In any case, with Bailey being a White Avenger, a class based on love and fury, I doubt Pete would attempt to ruin King's and Bailey's relationship as that directly affects her as his avatar. So, I can at least find comfort in that.
Just hope she doesn't get nauseous the way King did on his first astral jump.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:We All Dream of Equivocation

[...] when you get plastered and start a cult for kicks.
But what of the legend and the paraphrasing?

Argent

Post by Argent »

Hearsay.