2014/05/19- Coming In The Back Way

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Render
Wanna play a game?

Re: 2014/05/19- Coming In The Back Way

Post by Render »

valerio wrote:
Discostew wrote:Heh, it could be his way of keeping us in the dark for at least one more strip, because if it was marked Joel, then we wouldn't be speculating this aspect. :)
Meh, considering that EVERYONE is betting on King being reverted into Joel, tagging 'King' would make no sense. IMO
Tagging 'King' does make sense since he presently appears to be King for everybody until proven otherwise.

I expect to see Joel unter the cover or this:
Discostew wrote:
Kyuunado wrote:Maybe King is gradually becoming a person? That would explain the butterfly text.
:o I was just being random about the possibility of him having Joel's head and King's body. I didn't think there could be merit to that.
What was also on my mind after I read the strip.

But he should start explaining prior he lefts the cover...

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Fox: You must be JoelKing.
King: No, I'm quite serious.
Simply Image
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Gamewolf67 wrote:
copper wrote:Coming In The Back Way

Title Text:imma beautiful butterfly okay

Appearances are everything, after all.

I wonder what's up~ :roll:
Pillow fight, that's what.
Slow motion pillow fight?

Didn't Rick once use the tag ??? For a character whose identity we were not meant to know yet?

Maybe Pete turned King into Ponbon.
valerio

Post by valerio »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Slow motion pillow fight?
Didn't Rick once use the tag ??? For a character whose identity we were not meant to know yet?
Maybe Pete turned King into Ponbon.
"Ack...Fox, stop hugging me..."
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

That.......... would be very weird. The suspense is killing me!!!!
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
Blood is red, the sky is blue, this knife is sharp, and your dead too!
SmileWolf

Post by SmileWolf »

Humorous plot twist incoming! :D

I doubt that King sounds like Joel (or vice versa) as Fox would have recognized the same voice when King showed up - dogs have very good hearing. There are too many possibilities to speculate, and Rick usually chooses one I didn't think of, so I'm just going to sit back and watch what happens.

PS: Sorry about my overly serious posts on the previous page's thread. I should know better than to comment on stuff in forums when bad things happen in RL, as that negativity tends to manifest even when not intended. Locking myself in positive or nothing comments mode now. Appreciate the patience. :)
Last edited by SmileWolf on Mon May 19, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silvermane

Post by Silvermane »

imma beautiful butterfly okay
I'll laugh if Pete did something to his fur patterns/colors. Other then that no speculation from me as its already been said by others.
valerio

Post by valerio »

...and unless all of the wolves and Fox got a serious case of the cold, Joel's smell would be filling the room...
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

If King is now Joel again then all he needs is a fursuit and they''l never know the difference. He can just claim that he's grown a bit. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

valerio wrote:...and unless all of the wolves and Fox got a serious case of the cold, Joel's smell would be filling the room...
Very true very true. Fox definitely woulda noticed.

Kind of interesting though how King wrapped in a blanket is enough to distract Fox from the immediate situation of where Bailey is.
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

copper wrote:...Also, I think this means that Joel is naked under there? Perish the thought!!! :shock:
Oog... pass the Brain Bleach, please.
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
valerio

Post by valerio »

Hlaoroo wrote:If King is now Joel again then all he needs is a fursuit and they''l never know the difference. He can just claim that he's grown a bit. ;)
...And then Sasha checked his teeth :lol:
ConvoyWolf wrote:
valerio wrote:...and unless all of the wolves and Fox got a serious case of the cold, Joel's smell would be filling the room...
Very true very true. Fox definitely woulda noticed.
Kind of interesting though how King wrapped in a blanket is enough to distract Fox from the immediate situation of where Bailey is.
Seriously, who would NOT be distracted by a big fat cartoon eskimo?? 8-)
Ninkurou

Abomination....

Post by Ninkurou »

Strange... A Dog with human head came into my mind...
It really scares me!
CreativePr0cess

Post by CreativePr0cess »

I don't know why everyone is saying that is to small to be Joel. It's easily able to fit his size, maybe even more.
I cut off an inch from every straw I see so the world will suck a little less.
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

copper wrote:Coming In The Back Way

Title Text:imma beautiful butterfly okay

Appearances are everything, after all.

I wonder what's up~ :roll:
Oh! I know! Bailey's the new avatar, so King's losing his dog form! Back to square one, I guess.

(Or it's a pillow fight.)
Feel my icy wrath!
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

What if King IS the blanket? D:
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Wolfbane wrote:What if King IS the blanket? D:
lol, then he's going to be hugged to death!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Surely King has got a shocking wake up, no matter the reason... :| The appearance! It happened? The clock battery got over and now King turned back as Joel? :? Both King and Bailey sleep at the wolves' house, hosted by the Milton. King called and told Miles through the door to call Fox because he wants to talk to him, and only he can enter the room, to see the unbelievable things happened... Fox doesn't know anything of King's secret, and it's really late to tell it, but now there's another problem with the disappearing of his cousin. :? That anguish... :(
I would assign a pitched or different voice to King than Joel, because of the smaller size. If under the duvet there's Joel, and the size seem to fit, his voice tone is being camouflaged by it. Joel's smell? Maybe most of it is being trapped. :roll: The tag is still as King to don't show us the real fact today... Can't wait till Wednesday! :shock:

At the end, who took advantage of all this is Pete, though, who changed him with Bailey, a stronger avatar which is a native dog without a such expiring... He hasn't to get victory from it. :roll:
Argent

Post by Argent »

If he does turn into Joel then Pete is breaking faith with his avatar, Bailey, since that's why she agreed to become his avatar in the first place. Given his previous shenanigans Great Kitsune should disqualify him on grounds of fraud.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
valerio

Post by valerio »

Argent wrote:If he does turn into Joel then Pete is breaking faith with his avatar, Bailey, since that's why she agreed to become his avatar in the first place. Given his previous shenanigans Great Kitsune should disqualify him on grounds of fraud.
Depends: during the trial in heaven, Pete had given no indication whatsoever of his intentions toward Bailey. Gryphon's good with clauses and half-truths. Here, it doesn't matter what Bailey believed when she agreed to sign that contract, if she didn't read it thoroughly. pete may be frowned upon by Kitsune, but he did offer a text to read.
Basically, for example, Pete promised that King would take his life and wife. The contract didn't say that he may have to wait until the final phase of the game's over.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Argent wrote:If he does turn into Joel then Pete is breaking faith with his avatar, Bailey, since that's why she agreed to become his avatar in the first place. Given his previous shenanigans Great Kitsune should disqualify him on grounds of fraud.
GK doesn't really care, you do realize that, right?
Argent

Post by Argent »

What Bailey believes is completely relevant to the question of whether he's breaking faith with her. Faith is, at its very core, a matter of what people believe. And he can not credibly argue that he didn't believe she intended to intercede on King's behalf when her power comes from that very intercession.

If he had previously kept faith with his mortal toys, then he could expect leniency, but given the circumstances if Kitsune doesn't do his own rules lawyering to find some excuse to nail Pete to the wall, he's not doing his job as GM right. And it's got nothing to do with whether he cares about King: it's a GM's job to provide game balance and feed rules lawyers into the shredder.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Argent wrote:What Bailey believes is completely relevant to the question of whether he's breaking faith with he. He can not credibly argue that he didn't believe she intended to intercede on King's behalf when her power comes from that very intercession.
If he had previously kept faith with his mortal toys, then he could expect leniency, but given the circumstances if Kitsune doesn't do his own rules lawyering to find some excuse to nail Pete to the wall, he's not doing his job as GM right. And it's got nothing to do with whether he cares about King: it's a GM's job to provide game balance and feed rules lawyers into the shredder.
You got a niiiice point there, kind Sir
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Argent wrote:What Bailey believes is completely relevant to the question of whether he's breaking faith with her. Faith is, at its very core, a matter of what people believe. And he can not credibly argue that he didn't believe she intended to intercede on King's behalf when her power comes from that very intercession.

Nice observation there. The last strip's thread description does say "Pete's really good at taking care of his avatars~", so by continuing to mess with King, he's messing with Bailey, and if he's messing with his new avatar Bailey, then he's potentially screwing himself over, not to mention that he'd be going against this description given about him.

When Joel first turned into King, he wasn't aware of the transformation until it was pointed out to him. Perhaps in this case, he assumed that Pete did change him back. Maybe he didn't examine himself upon waking up and simply hid under the blankets so no one would notice, continuing to act as if he did change.

Fox: "King, what's wrong?"
King: "Fox, I've been hiding something from you for too long..."
**King removes the blanket**
King: "...I'm...I'm..."
**Fox covers his eyes**
Fox: "Woah dude! Put your collar on!"
King: "Huh?"
**King examines himself**
King: "I'm still a dog?.....I'M STILL A DOG! Isn't that wonderful, Fox?"
Fox: "Whatever you say, but I ain't uncovering my eyes until you put something on."
Argent

Post by Argent »

I kind of assumed that the bit about him taking good care of his avatars was ironic.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I don't know if Universes and Unrealities has game masters nearly as strict as the ones on Earth. Plus, Bailey has to win for Pete in order to have her wishes granted, and since the duel is merely starting.....
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Whatever Pete explicitly promised her, he knew the basis on which she accepted his contract because that's how she got her powers. If he knowingly got her to sign on false pretenses, then there is no "meeting of minds" and the contract is void.
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

Hrm, building off of my theory that Pete wants King at maximum distress, I'm going to say that its King under the blanket, but Rick is taking a page out of Junior.

Pete couldn't send Bailey into battle pregnant, but he also couldn't just whoosh the unborn child away because that would be interfering with a mortal life.

So yeah. King is tots preggers.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:Whatever Pete explicitly promised her, he knew the basis on which she accepted his contract because that's how she got her powers. If he knowingly got her to sign on false pretenses, then there is no "meeting of minds" and the contract is void.
That is assuming that the magical panuniversal legal system works like the ones in our contemporary western culture.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Argent

Post by Argent »

It's not the legal system, it's game mechanics. You have to have game balance or you might as well be playing Eve Online.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Woe unto the foolish fool who trusts game rulesets to be enforced to the letter!

Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So is this taking place in the day or is it still nighttime?
aguythatcan wrote:Ok new guy here
Welcome to the forums aguythatcan! :D
aguythatcan

Post by aguythatcan »

Gesque wrote:Hrm, building off of my theory that Pete wants King at maximum distress, I'm going to say that its King under the blanket, but Rick is taking a page out of Junior.

Pete couldn't send Bailey into battle pregnant, but he also couldn't just whoosh the unborn child away because that would be interfering with a mortal life.

So yeah. King is tots preggers.
Finally! I've been trying to get someone else to realize the implications of this! Hahahahaha... poor King
Saturn381 wrote:So is this taking place in the day or is it still nighttime?
aguythatcan wrote:Ok new guy here
Welcome to the forums aguythatcan! :D
Thanks Saturn! I'm trying to get my forum legs back hahaha.

Mod Edit: If yours is the last post, please use the edit button to avoid double posting.
Ahh! Love its all over the place!
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

I've noticed a lot of people thinking that Fox would peg King as Joel from the get-go just for sounding like him. However, there a couple of facts that I believe they're all overlooking: King is a dog and Fox is completely unaware of all this cosmic stuff going on.

Try to imagine it from his point - pretend you've never met Pete or learned about the game, demigods or any of that. Just pretend that one day, King was just brought into town the way that he was and just happened to sound like a human who had shown up some time ago. Without the knowledge of his origin or any cosmic game going on, you probably wouldn't think anything of it other than, "Huh...that's pretty weird" and then just shrug it off. At least, that would be the rational viewpoint. It'd be hard to make the jump to the conclusion that a dog you've just met was once a completely different species just because of voice similarity. You'd need to have the knowledge of all that cosmic game stuff to make that jump and that's knowledge that Fox just doesn't have...yet. He's been introduced to it through hypotheticals at one point, but we've all seen his reactions to them; he thinks it's all nonsense.

So it's entirely possible for King to sound exactly like he did as a human and Fox not to have any suspicions about who he was before.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Silly Zealot wrote:Woe unto the foolish fool who trusts game rulesets to be enforced to the letter!
Darn it, man, Franzisca Von Karma popped immediately into mind when you said that.

Well, yeah, from what we've seen, there are quite a bit of loopholes in this game.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

max7345 wrote:I've noticed a lot of people thinking that Fox would peg King as Joel from the get-go just for sounding like him. However, there a couple of facts that I believe they're all overlooking: King is a dog and Fox is completely unaware of all this cosmic stuff going on.

Try to imagine it from his point - pretend you've never met Pete or learned about the game, demigods or any of that. Just pretend that one day, King was just brought into town the way that he was and just happened to sound like a human who had shown up some time ago. Without the knowledge of his origin or any cosmic game going on, you probably wouldn't think anything of it other than, "Huh...that's pretty weird" and then just shrug it off. At least, that would be the rational viewpoint. It'd be hard to make the jump to the conclusion that a dog you've just met was once a completely different species just because of voice similarity. You'd need to have the knowledge of all that cosmic game stuff to make that jump and that's knowledge that Fox just doesn't have...yet. He's been introduced to it through hypotheticals at one point, but we've all seen his reactions to them; he thinks it's all nonsense.

So it's entirely possible for King to sound exactly like he did as a human and Fox not to have any suspicions about who he was before.
I was simply under the impression that because of the long period of time between Fox hearing Joel (which wasn't a lot) to when he heard King that he forgot what Joel sounded like. Rather applies to anyone of the HP comic really. Dogs have a good sense of smell and they can hear well, but we're dealing with remembering a voice.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Cartoon physiology allows animals and humans to basically sound alike.
I like to think that there would be some difference.
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

valerio wrote:Cartoon physiology allows animals and humans to basically sound alike.
I like to think that there would be some difference.
Oddly enough, The Emperor's New Groove demonstrates both. Kuzco sounds the same no matter what form he takes, animal or human, but Yzma doesn't. So...

Ninkurou

=(

Post by Ninkurou »

If King Turned Human or not... Thats one thing that only God and Rick Know...
WhoElseButQuagmire

Re: =(

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Ninkurou wrote:If King Turned Human or not... Thats one thing that only God and Rick Know...
...and Karishad.
valerio

Re: =(

Post by valerio »

Ninkurou wrote:If King Turned Human or not... Thats one thing that only God and Rick Know...
tomorrow, we know...