2014/05/21 - That One Scene

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Discostew

Re: 2014/05/21 - That One Scene

Post by Discostew »

I have a[nother] hypothetical. We keep talking about if Pete loses or Dragon loses, to which the loser becomes mortal...but....what if there's a scenario where they both lose? What if something happens during the duel that all 3 demigods get involved in breaking some heavenly rules, and it concludes with a trial that sentences all 3 of them to live out a full lifetime as mortals? Kitsune mentions to King long ago that "you exist, therefore you're always playing by rules you didn't agree to....that's life...". This applies even to demigods, so they can't be exempt, as already demonstrated by the ruling against Pete in the Trial of Heaven. If I recall correctly, Rick plans to end the cosmic game, but by doing so, that could potentially drop out some of these demigods from the comic. Why else do they show up if not for the game? We also see that the connection between Dragon and Tarot had fluctuated in the past because of mortal issues (coughpeanutcough), resulting in the lack of powers for Tarot. What if this was part of some preparation for the end? By making all 3 demigods mortal, they (in a sense) could remain in the comic much like the rest of the cast.
Silvermane

Post by Silvermane »

Firstly it needs to be said that if all three characters were brought into Housepets as regulars rather then side characters who appear infrequently, the cosmic game would continue to haunt the main comic potentially for the rest of its run.

The Great Kitsune has barely had a presence in the comic so I don't think it'd be any big loss for him to bid adieu to the participants and leave the comic. As for dragon, I don't think I'd miss her all that much either since Tarot has been acting more independently from her for quite some time and really... she has nothing attaching her to the mortal world anymore after Peanut rejected her. Unless she still harping on that rejection, her character history is pretty much resolved. Pete I'd love to see as a regular, or at least as regular as King and Bailey, but even if he left the comic (so long as it was done right) I could live with it.

That being said I have a counter hypothesis, the game ends in a hopeless stalemate with no winners or losers. Rather then drag the game out for another few centuries they decide to start a new game, rewarding their followers/avatars for their service then leaving the comic for good... right before somebody mentions the game making Peanut complain about how that just made him lose.
Last edited by Silvermane on Thu May 22, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YourRoyalCorginess

Post by YourRoyalCorginess »

Discostew wrote:I have a[nother] hypothetical. We keep talking about if Pete loses or Dragon loses, to which the loser becomes mortal...but....what if there's a scenario where they both lose? What if something happens during the duel that all 3 demigods get involved in breaking some heavenly rules, and it concludes with a trial that sentences all 3 of them to live out a full lifetime as mortals? Kitsune mentions to King long ago that "you exist, therefore you're always playing by rules you didn't agree to....that's life...". This applies even to demigods, so they can't be exempt, as already demonstrated by the ruling against Pete in the Trial of Heaven. If I recall correctly, Rick plans to end the cosmic game, but by doing so, that could potentially drop out some of these demigods from the comic. Why else do they show up if not for the game? We also see that the connection between Dragon and Tarot had fluctuated in the past because of mortal issues (coughpeanutcough), resulting in the lack of powers for Tarot. What if this was part of some preparation for the end? By making all 3 demigods mortal, they (in a sense) could remain in the comic much like the rest of the cast.
This^

I say the cosmic nerds parents step in and ground them, punishing them to live out a lifetime in a mortal body for meddling in the affairs of mortals, for nothing more than fun.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Silvermane wrote:Firstly it needs to be said that if all three characters were brought into Housepets as regulars rather then side characters who appear infrequently, the cosmic game would continue to haunt the main comic potentially for the rest of its run.

The Great Kitsune has barely had a presence in the comic so I don't think it'd be any big loss for him to bid adieu to the participants and leave the comic. As for dragon, I don't think I'd miss her all that much either since Tarot has been acting more independently from her for quite some time and really... she has nothing attaching her to the mortal world anymore after Peanut rejected her. Unless she still harping on that rejection, her character history is pretty much resolved. Pete I'd love to see as a regular, or at least as regular as King and Bailey, but even if he left the comic (so long as it was done right) I could live with it.

That being said I have a counter hypothesis, the game ends in a hopeless stalemate with no winners or losers. Rather then drag the game out for another few centuries they decide to start a new game, rewarding their followers/avatars for their service then leaving the comic for good... right before somebody mentions the game making Peanut complain about how that just made him lose.
Mortal GK = Karishad
Mortal Pete = Bino
Mortal Dragon = Dutchess
venshadowcry

Post by venshadowcry »

And like zat, the war begins :D
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Mortal GK = Karishad
Mortal Pete = Bino
Mortal Dragon = Dutchess
I can see the Kitsune as Karishad and Pete as Bino. But I think Dragon would end up as Sasha or maybe Daisy.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

venshadowcry wrote:And like zat, the war begins :D
Whoops, did someone just accidentally a war?

In all seriousness, though, it still amazes me how much everyone is getting into the game; we've analyzed nearly every know aspect.[
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

The Game. That is all.
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

ConvoyWolf wrote:The Game. That is all.
Aww. You made me lose. XD
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Im surprised no one else said it.
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

Argent wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Just thought it would be an interesting twist if we found out someone else had been keeping a secret.

Joel: See, there's galactic nerds playing this game of D&D...
Fox: You mean U&U....
Yeh, but King tried to bring it up with Fox at the farm and Fox had no idea.
Yes, but that was veiled in hypotheticality.
Leomon2004 wrote:
Hedronal wrote:I can't really tell what order panels 5-8 are supposed to go in.
If you look closely there is a line connecting the panels. Which probably means the order is how they're connected.
Now that you point it out, it seems quite obvious, thank you.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

YourRoyalCorginess wrote:
Discostew wrote:I have a[nother] hypothetical. We keep talking about if Pete loses or Dragon loses, to which the loser becomes mortal...but....what if there's a scenario where they both lose? What if something happens during the duel that all 3 demigods get involved in breaking some heavenly rules, and it concludes with a trial that sentences all 3 of them to live out a full lifetime as mortals? Kitsune mentions to King long ago that "you exist, therefore you're always playing by rules you didn't agree to....that's life...". This applies even to demigods, so they can't be exempt, as already demonstrated by the ruling against Pete in the Trial of Heaven. If I recall correctly, Rick plans to end the cosmic game, but by doing so, that could potentially drop out some of these demigods from the comic. Why else do they show up if not for the game? We also see that the connection between Dragon and Tarot had fluctuated in the past because of mortal issues (coughpeanutcough), resulting in the lack of powers for Tarot. What if this was part of some preparation for the end? By making all 3 demigods mortal, they (in a sense) could remain in the comic much like the rest of the cast.
This^

I say the cosmic nerds parents step in and ground them, punishing them to live out a lifetime in a mortal body for meddling in the affairs of mortals, for nothing more than fun.
They really aren't doing it for "fun" they are doing it because Dragon and Pete got into an argument about who would lead the group in another game of U&U in another universe. So as I said before this whole storyline is about two nerds having a fight over a game of what is basically D&D because they got into a fight over yet another game of D&D. They are now forcing two mortal to fight for them instead of just beating each other up themselves, even though that would amount to the same thing.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Wow, I felt like I was going to hate this comic... But now...

Good Show Rick, well played.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Argent

Post by Argent »

Leomon2004 wrote:I can see the Kitsune as Karishad and Pete as Bino. But I think Dragon would end up as Sasha or maybe Daisy.
Lana.

That's it... they went back in time and came back as the goofier ferrets.

"If I'm going to spend a lifetime as a mortal, I might as well be a rich one."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
inejwstine

Post by inejwstine »

So I've been following along, but I think I may have missed something. Why did King turn human again? I thought the whole point of getting someone to sign Pete's contract was so he could remain a dog, and that he would only turn human if someone didn't sign. If that wasn't the case and he was going to turn back anyway, then why would Baily sign it?
A family friendly anthro webcomic; updates Tuesdays!
Argent

Post by Argent »

He turned human again because Pete is a jerk and a rules lawyer, and didn't actually promise Bailey that King would be protected by her signing the contract. I think he wants to make Bailey use her wish on getting Joel turned back into King instead of something that might inconvenience him.

That's my take on it anyway.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
inejwstine

Post by inejwstine »

Sounds logical. And that was my best guess, I just wasn't sure if there was some detail I missed. Guess we'll see what happens... :?
A family friendly anthro webcomic; updates Tuesdays!