2014/05/23 - Separation Anxiety

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Discostew

Re: 2014/05/23 - Separation Anxiety

Post by Discostew »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:If the duel is fought in subjective time, how would mortals view it?
I'm reminded of the Q continuum now.
ValerioFan

Post by ValerioFan »

And so it begins... :(
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Tarot and Sabrina had a contingency in case King was changed back. Hmm...
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Kitch wrote:Tarot and Sabrina had a contingency in case King was changed back. Hmm...
I think Dragon probably suspected this was the route Pete was going to take after the 'evil laughter' scene in the end of Trial in Heaven.
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

diss wrote:[ Separation Anxiety ]

Title Text: sluuuurp

Fido is totally heartbroken. :(
I was wondering why he was crying.

Also, Jata Ghost returns.
Feel my icy wrath!
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

So Joel's alter ego is Charlie Scene?
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

I'm not sure how many have noticed this, but this story arc is on fire!
Usually when I come to this part of the site just one page of comments, but now everyday when I come to this there are like two or three pages of comments already in.
BTW is it just me or does joel's disguise look a bit like Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs?
Last edited by Acritic2 on Fri May 23, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Gamewolf67 wrote:I was wondering why he was crying.
That's probably also why he didn't sniff out Joel, assuming he even remembers the scent after so long.

And working on the assumption that Joel and King sound the same, he probably wouldn't tell the difference that way, either.
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

So I'm guessing J/K explained things to Fox off camera, probably while they were scrounging up something for J/K to wear besides the prison outfit. I wonder what Sabrina's task was though, maybe keeping an eye on Pete's temple while the duel is ongoing? Peanut seems to be handling things well enough, maybe he was just in the middle of another movie marathon when they stopped by.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Jamonius wrote: Peanut seems to be handling things well enough, maybe he was just in the middle of another movie marathon when they stopped by.
Either that or he figures Tarot will be back soon; If you have seen this [ https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/02/ ... s-variety/ ] you'd know not much can worry Peanut.
SmileWolf

Post by SmileWolf »

And as usual, Peanut is totally nonplussed. Good old Peanut, a rock of calm in a river of chaos. Even if it may be a clueless sort of calm. :D

I love the humor in this strip. Nice way to weave humor into the drama.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Fox and the Unabomber out for a quiet stroll
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

Sinder wrote:Fox and the Unabomber out for a quiet stroll
Officer: Sir, why are you wearing a hankerchief over your face?
J/K: Allergies officer, they're pretty bad this time of year. Normally I would wear a dust mask but I'm out of them.
Argent

Post by Argent »

If Tarot can see the future, they've probably got all kinds of tricks set up ahead of time for Pete.

Or maybe not.

"No, Tarot, we can't see how the game ends because then there's no point in playing it. It's much more fun if you're not omniscient all the time."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NickCrotser

Post by NickCrotser »

Discostew wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:If the duel is fought in subjective time, how would mortals view it?
As a never ending desert road.
Image + Image
Housepets! Radio Co-Host and Producer (https://www.housepetsradio.com/)
RedDagger

Post by RedDagger »

[quote="Lucid_Dragon"Also, is it just me, or is it a bit touching and cute that King is using Bailey's Neckerchief for his disguise? :)[/quote]

Aw, that's a nice touch - though I'm not sure Bailey would react positively to human scent on it, considering he's breathing through it =P
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NickCrotser wrote:
Discostew wrote:
Or a Southern mansion in the Civil War.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Silvermane

Post by Silvermane »

I figured Sabrina and Tarot wouldn't be able to help, and it looks like they can't directly interfere either (hence all the vague pointers which Joel has to figure out). Considering what people said about King having never truly been a minion of Pete, I'd guess that its the machinations of the Great Kitsune again, preventing Dragon and her followers from getting directly involved. If that's the case then that gives me a little hope as it means Joel is still considered a third party in the game
Duster

Post by Duster »

diss wrote:Fido is totally heartbroken. :(
:cry: *sobs* Poor Fido.

I like how Peanut isn't concerned at all about Tarots letter, but hey, that's Peanut for you.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

NickCrotser wrote:
Discostew wrote:
Or, Waiting for Godot.

Oh, what a great idea for the next Imaginate! Then again, that would lose too many readers...
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Silvermane

Post by Silvermane »

Wasn't it flat out stated that the cosmic game is analogous to a d&d game and was explained to King by the Cosmic nerds as such to put their game in terms that he'd (and by extension us) would understand? So why confuse the poor stupid mortals further by making an analogy... within an analogy
Last edited by Silvermane on Fri May 23, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DragoonDart

Post by DragoonDart »

Yeah I suppose Tarrot and Sabrina are tied up in the fight. If not directly then indirectly.

But still I don't really get most of this comic.

What's up with Fido? I can't tell if he has tears or sweat on his face. So, is he crying (in public) over Sabrina (which makes sense given the title of the strip and the link to the thread), or was he working out or something (which makes sense because he had a towel and who the heck cries in public)?

Also I'm like 99% certain that this is the first time that King and Peanut have interacted. Given that, I always thought that King and Peanut might not have known who the other was. Evidently King knew who Peanut was. That's all good to know.

But also what's up with what Joel says? "If she's left I really don't want to know what condition he's in?" What? Joel is assuming that Peanut is non-functional without Tarrot, it seems. But that's not totally relevant to the situation.

Sometimes characters in this comic say things that make me go "wha?" But....I can't think of any other examples.

Okay sorry for the TL;DR continue on your day and make it a good one =p!
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I thought I saw a tear on Fido's face. Peanut is not a calm rock in a river of chaos, he's the boulder that slows down the chaotic river by showing invincible optimism. :) Even if you the most out of place person there, you can blend in easily.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Peanut is that leaf that rides the rapids down to the end and asks "did something happen?"
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

I have to admit, the handkerchief on the first panel confused me a bit. At first I thought Fido was wiping sweat from his brow instead of crying.

...Then I remembered dogs don't have sweat glands. XP
DragoonDart

Post by DragoonDart »

^ IKR? But I'm pretty sure we've seen sweat come off of dogs before in this comic. Just a way of showing what's happening. I don't know.
Shadowstar23 wrote:I thought I saw a tear on Fido's face. Peanut is not a calm rock in a river of chaos, he's the boulder that slows down the chaotic river by showing invincible optimism. :) Even if you the most out of place person there, you can blend in easily.
I guess this is just King/Joel assuming things, and mistaking Peanut's infinite well of good energy for some sort of food-crazed stress eating because Tarrot is gone. Hmmm I like that. I'm just gonna go with that's what's happening.
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Kitch wrote:
Gamewolf67 wrote:I was wondering why he was crying.
That's probably also why he didn't sniff out Joel, assuming he even remembers the scent after so long.

And working on the assumption that Joel and King sound the same, he probably wouldn't tell the difference that way, either.
Good point. Crying usually results in a stuffy/runny nose, and that makes it hard to smell. That's some coincidence though, considering if he wasn't crying, Joel might have been found out. Maybe Sabrina planned this by saying something to Fido to result in him crying. Certainly not a break-up (based on the letter at the very least), but maybe along the lines of being gone for a long time. That's likely why Joel commented about how Peanut might be feeling, since he's seen the reaction to another separation because of this duel.

I also noticed that Joel has his hand in his pockets in every panel here. May mean nothing though, but perhaps he's doing this so he doesn't touch anything to leave any fingerprints behind, or perhaps his hands can be visually identified? A man wandering around in disguise already throws off a number of warnings.
Satsura

Post by Satsura »

Was also going to comment on the scent thing. At first seems like all dogs lost their sense of smell, but many factors apply here. Might be Fox's dad clothes or someone else.

And heh, Peanut's in denial.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Lucid_Dragon wrote:Also, is it just me, or is it a bit touching and cute that King is using Bailey's Neckerchief for his disguise?
*sniffs* Ew, wet dog smell! How on the world did I get used to THIS?

Sabrina's note is awesome, by the way. Love how she starts by scolding Fido, but then juxtaposes with "hugs and kisses". Wow. Could not write a better note myself. But something tells me that Fido's already read it :?

I'm also not familiar with the term "sicing", and can't seem to look it up? Would appreciate it if somebody would care to enlighten me :)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Argent

Post by Argent »

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sic
sic 2 also sick (sĭk)
tr.v. sicced also sicked, sic·cing also sick·ing, sics also sicks
1. To set upon; attack.
2. To urge or incite to hostile action; set: sicced the dogs on the intruders.
Vuk91

Post by Vuk91 »

Wait a minute... That popcorn... That juice.... So familiar... I mean, doesnt Peanut consume those while sad? See: N-ple Date
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Discostew wrote:
I also noticed that Joel has his hand in his pockets in every panel here. May mean nothing though, but perhaps he's doing this so he doesn't touch anything to leave any fingerprints behind, or perhaps his hands can be visually identified? A man wandering around in disguise already throws off a number of warnings.
Does Joel still have King's wedding ring on? It's hard to tell for sure in the shots as Fox was roughing him up last comic.
Discostew

Post by Discostew »

Vuk91 wrote:Wait a minute... That popcorn... That juice.... So familiar... I mean, doesnt Peanut consume those while sad? See: N-ple Date
You're right, he was eating popcorn while Grape and Max were on a date, but then again, he was watching "All Dogs Go to Heaven", which all dogs cry to, even Bino. A little off the subject, but I noticed when all four of them were together at the arc conclusion that they were watching "The Secret of Nimh". They sure love their Don Bluth movies.
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Discostew wrote:
Does Joel still have King's wedding ring on? It's hard to tell for sure in the shots as Fox was roughing him up last comic.
I'm afraid that, based on the previous strip, he's not wearing it. Previous strips as a dog show he wears it on his left hand, but it is absent on this last one with that hand fully visible from what I can tell (panel where he's pushed against the wall in the quad panel split). That's not to say he lost it or anything. He has human hands now, with human fingers. The ring may either be too small or too big to wear, but I'll assume too big because if it was too small, then he would have been in pain before Fox got to him, squeezing around his finger (which now he has 5 digits instead of 4). Maybe he's carrying it around with him in his pocket. Would be a nice touch to show he has it when there's a moment to spare.
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

Xane wrote:Actually, what I refuse to suspend my disbelief about is that Fido wouldn't recognize Joel's scent! :roll:
I think Fox was kind of blocking out the smell. Also, King has been near almost everyone, so everyone is going to have at least a trace of his scent.
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
Blood is red, the sky is blue, this knife is sharp, and your dead too!
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

A giant bucket of popcorn and so little to drink :?:
Poor Peanut must be REALLY down :cry:
...I think....
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Alright, Tarot knows already everything and it's obvious why, but it's not clear the reason of why they're asking to talk to Sabrina, which knows the King's facts too, though... Poor Fido, crying for his girlfriend leaving (or maybe he just watched that movie a while ago?). :| Don't worry, it's not forever, also if now everyone know about your relation. :P ;) Yeah Fido, better don't read the letter, you wouldn't scare again with that ghost like the first time. :P It's also better if you don't see who's that human... ;)
Why Tarot should have left Peanut? In the latest times there was some tension between them, but the relation got stable and they played together... In fact it's so, Peanut is still himself eating pop corns with her (probably she makes them). ;) Let's see what Tarot has to give them.
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

DragoonDart wrote:What's up with Fido? I can't tell if he has tears or sweat on his face. So, is he crying (in public) over Sabrina (which makes sense given the title of the strip and the link to the thread), or was he working out or something (which makes sense because he had a towel and who the heck cries in public)?
Well, given that his eyes aren't watering and the common knowledge that dogs don't have sweat glands (not sure if that applies to this comic, but until someone shows me otherwise I'll just assume that it does), I'd have to say that neither is the case. My guess would be that he just got out of a pool or something.
Prof

Post by Prof »

Awww Fido looks like he needs a hug :(
Drop in and stroll around: My gallery

Discostew

Post by Discostew »

It's a good think Joel isn't wearing a white-hooded sweater, because that would be suspicious. It's one thing to use your wife's handkerchief, but another to wear your wife's clothing. :P
Prof

Post by Prof »

Discostew wrote:It's a good think Joel isn't wearing a white-hooded sweater, because that would be suspicious. It's one thing to use your wife's handkerchief, but another to wear your wife's clothing. :P
Dunno, he wouldn't be the first *hides* :D
Drop in and stroll around: My gallery