Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
IceKitsune

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by IceKitsune »

I wonder who are the Enemy players because Kings not Pete's Avatar so he isn't talking about that. So then who are then? (unless he is talking about him potentially being Pete's Avatar at some point later and I'm just stupid)
Last edited by IceKitsune on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Cerberusx wrote:It more likely that King was unconciouce when the ground tore apart. And that Pete tranported him back.
Are you COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that there is a shiny figurine in front of him in the shape of......... nevermind. :roll: And Pete CANNOT DO ANYTHING else harmful to him now. Though something tells me he'll find other ways of trying to get his way. :?

@Sinder: :shock: :shock: :shock: You abandoned your kiss av?!? <faints>
Coop

Post by Coop »

Trickster, eh? Reminded me of Coyote, from Gunnerkrigg Court.

Don't know how I like this new turn of events. On the one hand I always liked the simplicity and innocence of the comic, on the other I don't really dislike this new turn. So it's cool I guess.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

If he does have a new owner it would be funny if it was the Sandwiches :lol: (actually that would be awesome)
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:If he does have a new owner it would be funny if it was the Sandwiches :lol: (actually that would be awesome)
Heh. Come to think of it, yesh, it WOULD be awesome!!
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

IceKitsune wrote:I wonder who are the Enemy players because Kings not Pete's Avatar so he isn't talking about that. So then who are then? (unless he is talking about him potentially being Pete's Avatar at some point later and I'm just stupid)
As the Kitsune says, King's status in the game has yet to be determined, as he is technically an unwilling participant; for the time being, under the rules of the game he is considered either an unaffiliated third party or an agent of Pete (hence, "enemy player"), so either way, Dragon cannot directly affect him. The Kitsune himself probably could, but in his role as GM, he's not really supposed to intervene either.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

And how do we know it's a he Sinder?! :3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Sinder wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:I wonder who are the Enemy players because Kings not Pete's Avatar so he isn't talking about that. So then who are then? (unless he is talking about him potentially being Pete's Avatar at some point later and I'm just stupid)
As the Kitsune says, King's status in the game has yet to be determined, as he is technically an unwilling participant; for the time being, under the rules of the game he is considered either an unaffiliated third party or an agent of Pete (hence, "enemy player"), so either way, Dragon cannot directly affect him. The Kitsune himself probably could, but in his role as GM, he's not really supposed to intervene either.
I think by enemy, he means that Pete's avatar (King) is the Dragon's enemy, and the Dragon's avatar (Tarot) is Pete's enemy.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Tobee wrote:And how do we know it's a he Sinder?! :3
Last edited by Sinder on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Alex

Post by Alex »

Despite what happened, we definitely know it's not a dream. King exists, after all, and he was created by these beings. The thing left to resolve is if Pete will still own King, or if King will get a new owner. Maybe he'll turn into a stray?
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Maybe that's the reward that's "coming soon", some resolution to make up for Pete not being able to be his owner anymore.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I thought the reward is a statue made out of GOLD!
Richarson Valley

Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

And now a crushing realization: This means King and Sasha are not going for walkies after all.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Dr. Prower wrote:And now a crushing realization: This means King and Sasha are not going for walkies after all.
Nooooooooooooooo! The walkies must be done!!! :shock:
*asplodes self into parallel universe*

ImageImage
ImageImage
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Well this comic strip today is ironic. Lol. And now the question is, what the heck is going to happen to King now?
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

GK didn't quite clue him in as to what he's supposed to do now that Pete is banned from the board. I'd imagine we'd have something about his owner turning up missing, or the "Gaspar" avatar conveniently being dropped dead.
Dr. Prower wrote:And now a crushing realization: This means King and Sasha are not going for walkies after all.
Or are they? :mrgreen:

And of course, something having to do with Sasha might just be his "boon".
Alex

Post by Alex »

Now I wonder, since when was King dreaming? Don't forget that he was kenneled at all, and now he woke up in his bed. I think that everything until he walked up into the woods was the reality. After that, he "slept" in, and Tarot, Pete and the GK took care of him and transported him into his bed.
Richarson Valley

Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Alex wrote:Now I wonder, since when was King dreaming? Don't forget that he was kenneled at all, and now he woke up in his bed. I think that everything until he walked up into the woods was the reality. After that, he "slept" in, and Tarot, Pete and the GK took care of him and transported him into his bed.
You know that's a great theory and possibly.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

You know, I remember back to when Pete said Sasha was "protected".

If he says she's protected, then likely Dragon and Kitsune know she's protected. Although the logical question is "from what" (her master? Bino?), overall it does lead me to believe that perhaps there is a more benevolent purpose to the game than has been let on.
arcict

Post by arcict »

Interresting. And totally appropriate for a kitsune, even a kitsune of 9 tails is still a kitsune and thus first and foremost a trickster, this also alludes back to when Grape was (supposadely) sleeping. In this case I think the term "vision" might be more appropriate, where the character may be physically asleep or otherwise unconscious and yet the events he/she is viewing is not that of a natural dream of some kind but something he/she is being deliberately shown.

I think it is safe to say that Pete has lost his avatar for the moment, but that doesn't mean that he can't take King as an avatar willingly. I didn't fail to notice how quickly King's attitude changed at the mention of "rewards" which, I must say, would not have happened as quickly if it had been me... I suppose for the comic's sake it was either change his attitude quickly and hop/skip to the end quickly too or change it slowly and hope that you can find a punchline for the ending panel.

Sorry, but I've been archive-munching the Bob & George archives, especially the commentary so I've been getting my head full of the POV of a comic author for the past couple of days (I am stuch while my mom and sis are at the fair with me doing a good deal of the barnyard chores AND I got hired by a family on vacation this week to water their plants and feed their animals while they are away so the rest of my time is spent alone in sheer boredom, I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!)

I actually really like that statue, not just in the context of the story but, if I had the money, I'd get one. It really seems to embody what a kitsune is/does with the whole eye thing (what do you call that anyway) and sticking out the tongue and the caption a the bottom is just... it just really hit the mari IMHO.

Though one thing I've read about kitsunes... hold on...Foxtrot's Collection of Kitsune Lore... yeah, this is where I got a lot of my info on kitsunes... anyway, if my info is correct most kitsunes "trick" you for a reason, usually either to break you down if you don't "get" the trick or to make you better if you overcome your weaknesses and can "get" or otherwise learn from the trick. AKA, if you grow the trick becomes to your benefit. Which I thought was kind of relavent due to King's predicament/situation.

K, I'll shut up now.
Everything I need to know, I learned from webcomics!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I think King's reward is simply going to be an appreciation for the life he's given. In the strip where he met Fox he was breaking down over how life gave him nothing and that there was no reason to live. But think, Pete gave him a home, food, a life of innocence where he doesn't have to worry about human ordeals, he's not in jail...

Wether or not King realizes it he has a pretty good life.
valerio

Post by valerio »

yoyodude wrote:I think King's reward is simply going to be an appreciation for the life he's given. In the strip where he met Fox he was breaking down over how life gave him nothing and that there was no reason to live. But think, Pete gave him a home, food, a life of innocence where he doesn't have to worry about human ordeals, he's not in jail...

Wether or not King realizes it he has a pretty good life.
that's why the GK told him he could also appreciate said life, in the end. Also, King as a very good friend in Fox, and could even find love with Sasha.
A VERY good life. :D :D
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Pete is forbidden from entering the "arena", which I assume is the world, until he has a full avatar like Tarot.
Does this mean Pete is gone from the Housepets! world, leaving King ownerless?
If Pete needs to have another cat or dog enter the woods and press that button, then who?

I hope that reward for King is a new owner =P.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Esquire Fox wrote:Pete is forbidden from entering the "arena", which I assume is the world, until he has a full avatar like Tarot.
Does this mean Pete is gone from the Housepets! world, leaving King ownerless?
If Pete needs to have another cat or dog enter the woods and press that button, then who?

I hope that reward for King is a new owner =P.
But Pete is awesome. I don't get why you guys are so down on Pete, sure he's a conniving somewhat evil cosmic jerk, but he's still good people. Sorta...
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Mika

Post by Mika »

The kitsune said that one of King's rewards comes at the end of the game...exactly how long does one of these games last for?
Staring at Chuck Norris for extended periods of time can cause eye damage and foot sized bruises to the face.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Mika wrote:The kitsune said that one of King's rewards comes at the end of the game...exactly how long does one of these games last for?
For that matter we still don't know what the point of the game is whats their goal? In fact we don't really know much about the game they're playing at all. (I mean their specific U&U session not U&U it self.)
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

IceKitsune wrote:
Mika wrote:The kitsune said that one of King's rewards comes at the end of the game...exactly how long does one of these games last for?
For that matter we still don't know what the point of the game is whats their goal? In fact we don't really know much about the game they're playing at all. (I mean their specific U&U session not U&U it self.)
The point is to drive King bonkers.
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
YoruOokami

Post by YoruOokami »

Must say kudos to Rick for taking what would have usually been an annoying cop out ending to an arch and making it into an amusing gag.

I won't bother repeating all of the questions that this strip has brought up, but will add myself to the list of people that are looking forward to how they will be answered in future strips.
Sinder wrote:
Tobee wrote:And how do we know it's a he Sinder?! :3
lolz XD
Mika

Post by Mika »

An idea as to where he is right now:

In Tarot's house!

discuss.
Staring at Chuck Norris for extended periods of time can cause eye damage and foot sized bruises to the face.
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

That would be an odd twist...

ImageImage
ImageImage
Mika

Post by Mika »

IceKitsune wrote:
Now that King knows that he needs to participate in the game in order to get his rewards, we might see it advance along, the final goal becoming more apparent hopefully.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Mika wrote:An idea as to where he is right now:

In Tarot's house!

discuss.
I think he most likely is with a new owner due to Pete not being allowed back on earth without a Avatar. Now if its Tarots owner or not I don't know. It could be hes with Sasha's owner (which would be likely if Kitsune has an Avatar and its Sasha) It could be Bill (Fox's Owner) or even as I said it could be the Sandwiches.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

King lives with Daisy now, just you wait...

Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

yoyodude wrote:King lives with Daisy now, just you wait...

or with Sasha, and he will not be fond of that owner, even perhaps .. dare I say.. wanting Pete back? ;)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
valerio

Post by valerio »

or...he's just become the K-9 team's mascot! And he's sleeping in the police station...
Alex

Post by Alex »

Sasha's doghouse! Which was his.... yeah, that's where he probably lives now.
Richarson Valley

Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Alex wrote:Sasha's doghouse! Which was his.... yeah, that's where he probably lives now.
this
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Nah, I can't imagine a corgi being a K-9 police mascot.

And not Sasha's owner. GK said he was getting a reward. That would be punishment.

If there's any justice in the world, I would say Bill would pick him up, and Fox and King would become brothers. :)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Kitch wrote:Nah, I can't imagine a corgi being a K-9 police mascot.

And not Sasha's owner. GK said he was getting a reward. That would be punishment.

If there's any justice in the world, I would say Bill would pick him up, and Fox and King would become brothers. :)
hehe, that was good ol' silliness by me.
I agree with you and fervently hope that you are right. King and Fox are the cutest of buddies!!
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he's still with Pete.