2014/08/15 - The Trying-To-Express Express

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
IceKitsune

Re: 2014/08/15 - The Trying-To-Express Express

Post by IceKitsune »

Argent wrote:I think Rick is kind of worried that HP! is becoming "King and the rest" already, which is why he's bringing this meta-arc to a close.
I don't know if that is part of his reasoning (we know most of it is because hes tired of people hating on the arc and arguing about it) but I do have to say that really it kind of has become that at this point. Its the issue with only having one ongoing storyline for 5 years, more if you want to say it started when Pete first showed up instead of just King.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

I've noticed that most King strips end with him being mad/annoyed/indifferent.
So I'm guessing King's one of the easier characters to write for.
Argent wrote:I think Rick is kind of worried that HP! is becoming "King and the rest" already, which is why he's bringing this meta-arc to a close.
I do hope that King will stay around and actually interact with the rest of the cast after all this blows over though.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

^ I don't mind seeing King doing gems like that. But yes, King has had a huge spotlight on him lately. I'm sure Rick understands this as well and is one of the reasons for this arc.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I really love the looks on Bailey, Sabrina, and Tarot. They really show a sense of worry and sadness.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Being both the shortest and tallest member of the group could be handy.

"Hey, King, could you turn into Joel for a sec and get that can of dog food down for me?"
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Taking that point further, Bailey could totally make him run errands.

"King, could you turn into Joel and take a drive to the store? We're all out of detergent."

I'd like to see that happen.
Just an Arc
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

I did enjoy that arc! And with King's inclusion I enjoyed it even more!

But what I was trying to say, is that I hope Rick will still use King in regular strips after the celestial game, instead of drawing a conclusion to the whole meta-arc, then discarding/paying little attention to the character. I'm not sure about the difficulty of keeping him around though, with him being a dramatic character, rather than a comedic one.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Argent

Post by Argent »

ArcWolf wrote:"King, could you turn into Joel and take a drive to the store? We're all out of detergent."
"My driver's license is suspended and you know what happens if I get pulled over."
deepskycyan wrote:I'm not sure about the difficulty of keeping him around though, with [King] being a dramatic character, rather than a comedic one.
King is Comedy Gold. Just imagine him played by Gilbert Gottfried.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

Argent wrote:King is Comedy Gold. Just imagine him played by Gilbert Gottfried.
My ears would bleed. No offense to Iago but Gil is at best Comedy steel.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Argent wrote:Being both the shortest and tallest member of the group could be handy.
"Hey, King, could you turn into Joel for a sec and get that can of dog food down for me?"
*Bailey reaching for the dog food*
Bailey: Too...high...up!
*King walks in, takes off his watch. Turns into Joel and grabs the dog food and moves it down. Grabs the watch and turns back into King.*
Bailey: You know, you really should warn me whenever you change like that...
King: You're welcome.
Argent wrote:King is Comedy Gold. Just imagine him played by Gilbert Gottfried.
I agree, but maybe not Gilbert, I think King has suffered enough as it is. :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

Rodney Dangerfield? Peter Falk? Woody Allen? Peter Sellers? Dudley Moore? Rick Moranis?
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Argent wrote:Rodney Dangerfield? Peter Falk? Woody Allen? Peter Sellers? Dudley Moore? Rick Moranis?
...Rick Moranis might work. I was thinking more Chris Pratt, shave the beard and he'd look the part for Joel. Pitch up his voice slightly and he'll be King. ^^
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

King: (as Gilbert Gottfried) *sees Pete's final plans for this arc* Oh, Great! I think I'm going to die from not surprise!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Love how Bailey is using her cape as a blankie. :) I am glad that this meta - arc is drawing to a close. Ever since Rick first introduced the Cosmic Game into the story, Peanut and Grape have slowly been pushed out of the primary character selection.

P.S. The way they're sitting reminds me the 70's show pot circle skits for some odd reason. :?
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Worried and serious moment, to realize once again that's all wrong. Very nice discourse King, you just want to stay and live with your love Bailey, after all. That's one of the moments where you want to slap Tarot, she's always undercutting King doing morals and putting truths... :| But I have to agree with the alt-text, you could spend less words, King. :P What about do a mutiny now? ;)
But, why King and Bailey haven't still hugged here? Come on, now it's the perfect moment. ;)
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

See the whole time reset thing is definitely a good ending scenario. Its different as its a bittersweet ending as opposed to a goody goody super happy ending. In this situation of a character making a final plan or something it is a very compelling setup. My ONLY question thing is....is it the right type of ending to use in Housepets though? Housepets to me has always been a light hearted comic. Even in a bit heavy arcs like this each end panel of a strip theres always a sort of pratfall, or cynnical wisetailery comment that gets a funy laugh or an OMGWTW then laugh or a wooooyeah! somewhere. And when an arc ends it always seemed to end with a happy, funny or at least positive ending (im sure someone will point out one that didn't). I just have this doubt that Rick will choose an ending that will make us truly sad, mostly because that doesn't seem to be his style, and partly to avoid tailhurt drama.

I mean King loves Bailey more than life itself, its obvious. And feeling as part of the problem, he probably feels that what he has attained, (friends, wife, life as a dog) is worth giving up if it means Baileys safety, even if it meant being reset in time before everything was set in motion and them never meeting. The problem with that though is Bailey herself. Her loyalty to King wold have her tryi whatever she could to prevent him from doing that, hence why she took his place to begin with. And remember, IF this does end that way, then by the laws of time manipulation as repeatedly described by Doc Emmet Brown in the BTTF movies it would cause all the occurrences and events that happened within that time frame besides those that involved King and Bailey to also be altered in some way and there would thus have to be an arc explaining what happened and what was changed.

Theres also the question of whether or not King deserves to stay around as he is only a minor character and whos importance falls behind Peanut and Grape. Well apart from Peanut and Grape and a few others, alot of the main characters now were once quite minor. And as far as King and Bailey's status as major or minor characters, i feel they have graduated to at least moderate leaning towards major. After all King has had quite a few arcs wrapped around him, a few including Bailey. On top of that King's story from his first appearance as Joel had be a part of more than 50% of the years the comic has existed so i think deserves his rightful place as part of the recurring cast.

Maybe its just the King-Bailey lover in me talking, i dunno. But im just trying to look at the comic through the eyes of Rick Griffin and think about how i would want this to end, and i just cant see that scenario working. Lack of vision? I probably have that. Plus i also dont want to speak for someone WAY more talented than i. *shrugs* Then again well just have to wait and see.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

ConvoyWolf wrote:See the whole time reset thing is definitely a good ending scenario. Its different as its a bittersweet ending as opposed to a goody goody super happy ending. In this situation of a character making a final plan or something it is a very compelling setup. My ONLY question thing is....is it the right type of ending to use in Housepets though? Housepets to me has always been a light hearted comic. Even in a bit heavy arcs like this each end panel of a strip theres always a sort of pratfall, or cynnical wisetailery comment that gets a funy laugh or an OMGWTW then laugh or a wooooyeah! somewhere. And when an arc ends it always seemed to end with a happy, funny or at least positive ending (im sure someone will point out one that didn't). I just have this doubt that Rick will choose an ending that will make us truly sad, mostly because that doesn't seem to be his style, and partly to avoid tailhurt drama.

I mean King loves Bailey more than life itself, its obvious. And feeling as part of the problem, he probably feels that what he has attained, (friends, wife, life as a dog) is worth giving up if it means Baileys safety, even if it meant being reset in time before everything was set in motion and them never meeting. The problem with that though is Bailey herself. Her loyalty to King wold have her tryi whatever she could to prevent him from doing that, hence why she took his place to begin with. And remember, IF this does end that way, then by the laws of time manipulation as repeatedly described by Doc Emmet Brown in the BTTF movies it would cause all the occurrences and events that happened within that time frame besides those that involved King and Bailey to also be altered in some way and there would thus have to be an arc explaining what happened and what was changed.

Theres also the question of whether or not King deserves to stay around as he is only a minor character and whos importance falls behind Peanut and Grape. Well apart from Peanut and Grape and a few others, alot of the main characters now were once quite minor. And as far as King and Bailey's status as major or minor characters, i feel they have graduated to at least moderate leaning towards major. After all King has had quite a few arcs wrapped around him, a few including Bailey. On top of that King's story from his first appearance as Joel had be a part of more than 50% of the years the comic has existed so i think deserves his rightful place as part of the recurring cast.

Maybe its just the King-Bailey lover in me talking, i dunno. But im just trying to look at the comic through the eyes of Rick Griffin and think about how i would want this to end, and i just cant see that scenario working. Lack of vision? I probably have that. Plus i also dont want to speak for someone WAY more talented than i. *shrugs* Then again well just have to wait and see.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I have been anticipating since HNE part 2 that when this arc is over, that King wouldn't have much of a focus for some time. However, with King growing so much over HP's history, I don't think King should go away for good, at least personally because I like King as much as Peanut and Grape. :/
Argent

Post by Argent »

Back to Peanut and Grape:

Peanut: "Hey, Grape, Res is on the phone. He wants to talk to you about your fanfic!"

Sign: * EXPLOSION *
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Argent wrote:Back to Peanut and Grape:

Peanut: "Hey, Grape, Res is on the phone. He wants to talk to you about your fanfic!"

Sign: * EXPLOSION *
This.
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Liam

Post by Liam »

I say it's high time to deal with Dragon, Pete and Kitsune once and for all.

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Liam wrote:I say it's high time to deal with Dragon, Pete and Kitsune once and for all.

Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
Um... Demi-gods, hello. :P
It's still sounds like a fun plan though.
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

I don't know I think the whole Celestial Dn'D game is going to carry on but have less presence in the comic, for awhile at least. After all Pete wanted Grape or Peanut originally right? That must mean they're the strongest characters and that they play some key part in the destiny of the worlds future. Oddly serious idea sure, but it's kind of been hinted at...plus even comedy stories get boring without something big on the line, and the fate of the world is big enough right? Or at least the shape the future will take. I'm probably being over dramatic but something that serious could be really awesome to see if done right, and Ricks pretty good at hitting the mark so I'd have faith in him to do so.

Really there's only one thing that ever worries me about this comic and that got more to do with Rick than the story...I mean he's a mortal creature and so something really bad could happen. That in itself would be sad enough but the idea that he'd never finish the story would be soul shattering. I usually wouldn't let it bother me but a few of you have brought up the "end of the comic" and its kind of brought the thought to the forefront of my mind...

Here to Rick having a long and healthy life. Full of the misadventures of Penut Butter Sandwich and Grape Jelly Sandwich.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

You're all hilarious with the alternate comics. I really like the "you're welcome" one and the "explosion sign" one.
Haru Totetsu wrote:...Really there's only one thing that ever worries me about this comic and that got more to do with Rick than the story...I mean he's a mortal creature and so something really bad could happen. That in itself would be sad enough but the idea that he'd never finish the story would be soul shattering. I usually wouldn't let it bother me but a few of you have brought up the "end of the comic" and its kind of brought the thought to the forefront of my mind...

Here to Rick having a long and healthy life. Full of the misadventures of Penut Butter Sandwich and Grape Jelly Sandwich.
I've worried some about this, too. After all, there was a while when Rick was out because of a surgery. I never knew what it was, but I still was concerned. Then there was a guest week where Rick was sick, and I couldn't help but wonder if it was related to the surgery. I know that when someone gets sick after surgery it can become a big problem very quickly.
So I say "amen!" to Rick having a long, healthy life!

On to a lighter topic...

Sorry if someone thought of this before... (I haven't kept up with the forum the last few weeks) In D&D, can there be such a thing as "mutual surrender," where both parties surrender to each other at the same time? I kindof see King going in that direction. If so, with both sides' avatars 'losing' at the same time, that would cause a "loss" for both Dragon AND Pete, meaning both of them would have to spend a lifetime as a mortal. If that happens, then D&P could both become children of King and Bailey, (insert funny about sibling rivalry here) and King's "end of game boon" could be to teach D&P the bad & good of life.
That may not seem like much of a prize, but consider this: D&P are at their core, superbeings. As such, being locked in a mortal body, they would need protections from various things. Therefore, their guardians would need protections as well as to prevent some problems. Remember in STNG when Q got locked into human form? Picard had to protect Q from attacks. The same could hold true with Pete, and maybe Dragon as well. Therefore King & Bailey would have to be given the ability to protect D&P. Wouldn't it be a great prize to have the power to fight off other superbeings?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sorry if someone thought of this before... (I haven't kept up with the forum the last few weeks) In D&D, can there be such a thing as "mutual surrender," where both parties surrender to each other at the same time? I kindof see King going in that direction. If so, with both sides' avatars 'losing' at the same time, that would cause a "loss" for both Dragon AND Pete, meaning both of them would have to spend a lifetime as a mortal. If that happens, then D&P could both become children of King and Bailey, (insert funny about sibling rivalry here) and King's "end of game boon" could be to teach D&P the bad & good of life.
That may not seem like much of a prize, but consider this: D&P are at their core, superbeings. As such, being locked in a mortal body, they would need protections from various things. Therefore, their guardians would need protections as well as to prevent some problems. Remember in STNG when Q got locked into human form? Picard had to protect Q from attacks. The same could hold true with Pete, and maybe Dragon as well. Therefore King & Bailey would have to be given the ability to protect D&P. Wouldn't it be a great prize to have the power to fight off other superbeings?
That actually makes sense. I'd be interested in seeing if this is how the arc would end (Though the thought of seeing Pete as Kings 'son' makes me laugh).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

SeanWolf wrote:
That actually makes sense. I'd be interested in seeing if this is how the arc would end (Though the thought of seeing Pete as Kings 'son' makes me laugh).
Except everyone wants King and Bailey to have kids. While it's not a problem, I think the concept has to much of a fanfic-vibe to it. I mean, just cause they get locked into a mortal body doesn't mean both of them would be King's kids right? Who even says that they are "incarnated". Just sayin'.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

SuperStar wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:
Except everyone wants King and Bailey to have kids. While it's not a problem, I think the concept has to much of a fanfic-vibe to it. I mean, just cause they get locked into a mortal body doesn't mean both of them would be King's kids right? Who even says that they are "incarnated". Just sayin'.
I have to agree. It'd be much funnier if Kitsune became their owner (and maybe Bailey and King's pups could torment them). :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

SuperStar wrote:Except everyone wants King and Bailey to have kids. While it's not a problem, I think the concept has to much of a fanfic-vibe to it. I mean, just cause they get locked into a mortal body doesn't mean both of them would be King's kids right? Who even says that they are "incarnated". Just sayin'.
Yeah, having kids, or pups in this case, is one of those plot threads high up on the list of "jumping the shark" moments.
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

Quite the moving statement from king. For him to be a impact so many with such a few words is wonderful for his case. Though there are some things that can be said about what he said that would be hard to grasp for some as there were some who wanted to be a part of that game. Instead of the long speech about how each individual has change over the course of this endeavor, I would like to point out that there still an ace the demi-gods haven't used. The prizes King mention should be free, but one of the prize 'can't' be free for it has a cost and that cost is one people don't' wish to think about, not when you playing a game, in a game you want to play to have fun, to win, to hold up your prize, to 'escape'. Not to unravel the concept of morality,gain power, and better one self in a world that Sabrina say "is horrible". Now as we come to one conclusion one has to question, "Who really lost?" cause if King convenience them to his side. The reality that there, the 'waking' up that constant is shown us after the game, the dream, the lesson learned. Can that 'heaven' be reality or will we only see what we see now and continue to dream?

Or we can just enjoy the comic. either way great job rick, to everyone enjoy the comic.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

I never thought I'd see giant paragraphs discussing a comic on the internet that is,
essentially,
about house pets.

Life gets you places.
Just an Arc
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

ArcWolf wrote:I never thought I'd see giant paragraphs discussing a comic on the internet that is,
essentially,
about house pets.

Life gets you places.
It's the one thing that I like about the HP! community! We're all so involved with the story. You know that your in a good community when almost everyone is involved so much.