2014/08/18 - Voices in the Dark

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
WhoElseButQuagmire

Re: 2014/08/18 - Voices in the Dark

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

SeanWolf wrote:
Argent wrote:I want an arc involving Karishad and Itsuki.
Speaking of Itsuki, I wonder what happened to him. I don't recall seeing him in the past few arcs.
I'm sure he's working hard, studying hard and speaking gratuitous Japanese for Earl.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:
Speaking of Itsuki, I wonder what happened to him. I don't recall seeing him in the past few arcs.
I'm sure he's working hard, studying hard and speaking gratuitous Japanese for Earl.
He's probably gotten promoted to vice-manager by now.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

herobrineharry wrote:Having them both lose is... Fitting, but if this ends in reasonably talking out ther differences? Then we will sound like
Tarquin at the bottom of the page.
There really are no differences for them to talk out. They are pawns for others. The solution being proposed here is that they stop being pawns.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Kitch wrote:
herobrineharry wrote:Having them both lose is... Fitting, but if this ends in reasonably talking out ther differences? Then we will sound like
Tarquin at the bottom of the page.
There really are no differences for them to talk out. They are pawns for others. The solution being proposed here is that they stop being pawns.
But how will they do that?
Argent

Post by Argent »

They need to become something bigger than prawns. Maybe lobsters.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

SeanWolf wrote:
Last I heard he got a 68 on an exam. Impressive considering his phone went off. :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

That, or just start doing something that drives them nuts instead.

As far as it goes, it just means Tarot and King/Bailey have the car keys, but Dragon and Pete have locked themselves in their owner's cars to drive them nuts. Humorously enough, if you look at it in another sense ~ Pete and Dragon are almost like pets themselves. They can whine all they want, but Tarot and King/Bailey are the ones in control. It's only a matter of who caves in first.

I never figured that Tarot and Bailey had that much control, honestly, but it all makes sense when it comes together. It's like playing videogames, but then the people you are in control of just suddenly stopped playing and all Pete and Dragon can do now is press buttons like crazy/blow into the machine/call tech support/reboot and fix it.

And sadly for me, my fears came true: Spirit Dragon is spoiled D:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

GameCobra wrote:And sadly for me, my fears came true: Spirit Dragon is spoiled D:
Well as I said before, I think what Rick is trying to do is to show that the Cosmic Game isn't as black and white as one might think.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

huh we get to the plan of the little group and I love how the comedy is still here, besides all the tension and drama :mrgreen:
Leomon2004

Post by Leomon2004 »

^ This. I've been missing Itsuki that little raccoon thing. Wait, since he's Japanese wouldn't that mean he's a tanuki?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saturn381 wrote:Well as I said before, I think what Rick is trying to do is to show that the Cosmic Game isn't as black and white as one might think.
I don't mean it in the sense she's completely spoiled (though now I admit I made it sound like that. bleh.), but the idea that she is starting to show she's not so different as Pete in terms of getting what she wants means that King will likely punish both Pete and Dragon now that Tarot pointed out how much she whines. I don't think that will be the only reason, but it's starting to hint King will stop the whole game altogether.

On the bright side, whatever plans King has coming, Tarot and Sabrina will likely be supporting them or at least kept out of trouble.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Oh boy!

Let the mayhem ensue.

Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Leomon2004 wrote:^ This. I've been missing Itsuki that little raccoon thing. Wait, since he's Japanese wouldn't that mean he's a tanuki?
Hence the fundoshi.

Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Now Tarot should be nicknamed "lady officially and technically", and King looks so interested to listen to you... :P So, it's enough stop to use the power without break the "contract" as avatars of those demigods? Always if they accept it. To me, it looks the same thing... If mind controlling is really a so interesting experience to you, Sabrina... Funny how Bailey is disgusted of this. :lol: Maxwell knows something of that from Spirit Dragon. ;)
Karishad is always funny, no matter the circumstances. :D Evidently he has a free messages plan with the mobile operator. :P Must say that Tarot has a fascinating look in the second panel. :D
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

I can dig this. I think going back and looking at Itsuki would be fun, but I think that Kari would be hilarious if he had his own arc (If the arcs are separate). I don't know how they would be together though... I think that It would cool too. :P
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

I think Spira is only "spoiled" when it comes to games. Otherwise, she's a mature, young woman.
D3ath_0ps wrote:
I can dig this. I think going back and looking at Itsuki would be fun, but I think that Kari would be hilarious if he had his own arc (If the arcs are separate). I don't know how they would be together though... I think that It would cool too. :P
What if there was a arc where something(s) from Karishad's past came back to haunt and/or infuriate him?
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Shadowstar23 wrote:
What if there was a arc where something(s) from Karishad's past came back to haunt and/or infuriate him?
We would all be doomed. (Let this happen. This would be cool too.) SHUT UP BRAIN! (Ok...)
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

D3ath_0ps wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:
We would all be doomed. (Let this happen. This would be cool too.) SHUT UP BRAIN! (Ok...)
There have been many instances where we have been doomed by this comic. We are still here.

On topic: I just noticed that Sabrina is still crying a bit. I must hug her.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Maybe Rick could do a silly little side story with Karishad, were he somehow gets superpowers. Maybe something like THE ADVENTURES OF SUPER KARISHAD...that would be both awesome, funny, and scary to see Kari with superpowers :lol:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Douglas Collier

SeanWolf wrote:Maybe Rick could do a silly little side story with Karishad, were he somehow gets superpowers. Maybe something like THE ADVENTURES OF SUPER KARISHAD...that would be both awesome, funny, and scary to see Kari with superpowers :lol:
I'm not sure he needs them - I think he's powerful enough, being a master in the arts of bad puns and hijinks. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Man, Dragon and Pete need to get a life... I say as I sit here reading and discussing web comics for several hours :lol:
Shadowstar23 wrote:I think Spira is only "spoiled" when it comes to games. Otherwise, she's a mature, young woman.
.........why don't people call her that more often!? That's such a great name for her! :o
ImageImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Man, Dragon and Pete need to get a life... I say as I sit here reading and discussing web comics for several hours :lol:
Shadowstar23 wrote:I think Spira is only "spoiled" when it comes to games. Otherwise, she's a mature, young woman.
.........why don't people call her that more often!? That's such a great name for her! :o
Is that really her name?
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Man, Dragon and Pete need to get a life... I say as I sit here reading and discussing web comics for several hours :lol:
You really think so. I was looking at one of her close ups one day when this random thought comes into my head "What if her name was Spira?". Ever since I have referred to her as that.
Douglas wrote:Is that really her name?
Well....no. Just a name I came up with for her.
Douglas Collier

Shadowstar23 wrote:
You really think so. I was looking at one of her close ups one day when this random thought comes into my head "What if her name was Spira?". Ever since I have referred to her as that.
Good name. :)
No relation to Spyro, is she? ;)
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:
Good name. :)
No relation to Spyro, is she? ;)
MMMMMMaaaaaaayyyyyyyybbbbbbbbeeeeeeee. 8-)
WhoElseButQuagmire

Argent wrote:They need to become something bigger than prawns. Maybe lobsters.
They'll need to show alotta mussel.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

The puns.............
Douglas Collier

You're not Karishad's clone, are you? :shock:
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Douglas Collier wrote:
You're not Karishad's clone, are you? :shock:
WHY PETE WHY
WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS
BESIDES THE **** OF THE COMIC
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Q & A wrote:Q:Hey A.
A:Yeeeah.
Q:Do you remember when this comic was about a dog and a cat and their wacky adventures around their neighborhood?
Q:.........................................................................I miss that.
A:Yeah....
Dude, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't have King! And King is my absolute favorite character in the whole series. <3
Gren

Post by Gren »

Cripes... this is going exactly the way I never wanted it to be. All the arcs we've seen will have been for nothing. What was the point of all this? To keep them locked indefinitely and thus preventing them to finish their duel? Or worse, going even further and force them both to lose with that lame excuse of rule just so they can reborn as King's children? (Eww, how disgusting).

At this point, all I ask is that the Nerds give up these losers and look for new avatars. After all, they cannot be locked in an avatar as it was suggested in this strip. According to what Rick said in the past:
Rick wrote:Avatars don’t live forever, they are in succession and take on the mantle one after the other. Dragon can transfer the power whenever she likes, but it must abide by the Convoluted Rules and succession is one of the methods that preserve the power the best.
Therefore they don't need their permission. All they have to do is to choose a new successor. They don't even need to give them up since as we saw in this arc they can have more than one potential avatar aligned (just like Dragon does with Tarot and Sabrina).
It appears that Rick forgot about this after so many reformulated rules and deus ex machinas but I guess I can't blame him.

Seriously, I don't want this to end this way just because there were people who didn't liked it. Pete and Dragon ARE good characters too, they don't deserve this treatment just because of the haters (AKA King's fans). Seriously, all this people want is to have someone to hate (if it's not Pete then it's Dragon, Tarot, Sabrina, Keene, Bino, Duchess, etc) and see King always getting away with it.

If it's possible, I'd like this arc ends with Dragon and Pete agreeing new terms for the duel and picking new avatars. I think Peanut and Fido would be up for the task. It doesn't take much to convince Peanut, as long as it's fun and nobody gets hurt he'll agree in no time (after all, this is just a GAME, and Peanut loves games). Fido, on the other hand, is pretty much straightforward, the kind of guy who follow orders without asking questions as long as he is convinced he's doing the right thing. I think if they promise him to put a stop to the whole cat-dog taboo would be more than enough reason to put him at their service. And about the love restriction, well, I think Rick can find a way to avoid it, he did it pretty well with all the rules and things he has reinvented for these latest arcs.
ImageImage
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

herobrineharry wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote: You're not Karishad's clone, are you? :shock:
WHY PETE WHY
WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS
BESIDES THE **** OF THE COMIC
It's the end the world never saw coming…
The Pun Apocalypse
kernymi

Post by kernymi »

Q & A wrote:Q:Hey A.
Q:Do you remember when this comic was about a dog and a cat and their wacky adventures around their neighborhood?
Q:.........................................................................I miss that.
A:Yeah....
I ain't going to complain about this being about every pets instead.
Roll the dice for readiness.
"1"
You've fainted.
Argent

Post by Argent »

D3ath_0ps wrote:
I can dig this. I think going back and looking at Itsuki would be fun, but I think that Kari would be hilarious if he had his own arc (If the arcs are separate). I don't know how they would be together though...
Like Felix Unger and Oscar Madison.
Gren wrote:
Rick wrote:Avatars don’t live forever, they are in succession and take on the mantle one after the other. Dragon can transfer the power whenever she likes, but it must abide by the Convoluted Rules and succession is one of the methods that preserve the power the best.
Therefore they don't need their permission. All they have to do is to choose a new successor.
But it must abide by the "Convoluted Rules". And by succession, that generally mans the new avatar has a relationship or is selected by the old one..

Also, they can't be in a hurry, they get to play with subjective time... they could just wait a few decades and start over. Leave some random artifacts, like Bailey's collar and Tarot's charm, and have a couple of puppies dig them up while burying bones...
Seriously, all this people want is to have someone to hate
That's what Bino's for.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Argent wrote:
D3ath_0ps wrote:
I can dig this. I think going back and looking at Itsuki would be fun, but I think that Kari would be hilarious if he had his own arc (If the arcs are separate). I don't know how they would be together though...
Like Felix Unger and Oscar Madison.

On November 13th, Itsuki Kitamura -the smartest student in his classes- was asked to remove himself from his place of education. That request came from his fellow students.
Deep down he knew they right for he caused them great shame, but he also knew that someday he would return to the University.
With no where else to go since his apartment was provided by the University, he arrived at the home of childhood friend Karishad. Having had a long history of eventually being thrown out of any place he called home in the past, Karishad took him in.
Can a deadly serious shape shifting tanuki and a fun loving practical joking fox share a mansion, without driving the ferrets crazy?

Ba dum ba dum ba da, bump ba dum ba ba dum dum.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0vUIck5cz4
Argent

Post by Argent »

According to Japanese legend, a tanuki and a fox would be an odd couple indeed:

http://hyakumonogatari.com/2013/07/30/k ... i-battles/
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Acritic2 wrote:I'm kinda of still in the dark on this.
Could someone summarize the important stuff in this strip for me?
I could use the ego bust, so yeah, I will:
If the avatars give up their powers and forfeit, all that happens is that the nerds will have to find new ones, but the avatars can only give up their powers by declaring it out loud, or something, if they don't, they can still keep the powers and don't need to keep playing, as the cosmic nerds can only control and boss their avatars around if their avatars allow it. However, if the avatars refuse to play, the nerds have the right to annoy them and demand them to play forever.

So now there are three choices, as far as I see it:
1) Continue fighting until someone wins.
2) Give up the cosmic powers and let other pets battle.
3) Keep the power but not keep playing, and be nagged by the cosmic nerds for the rest of their lives.
gamepopper wrote:The reason Pete couldn't get Grape to become Pete's avatar (according to the Trial in Heaven arc) was because of a rule that the proposed avatar couldn't be in love (although considering that he got Bailey and still wanted King to be a full avatar despite their marriage, that rule still confuses me).
Hey, it's true! What gives?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You know, for cosmic beings that can be equated to teenagers, they certainly have well-worded contracts. Then again, they've still been at it for who knows how long, so they probably had to go through a few bumps to get it as it is.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Silly Zealot wrote:
gamepopper wrote:The reason Pete couldn't get Grape to become Pete's avatar (according to the Trial in Heaven arc) was because of a rule that the proposed avatar couldn't be in love (although considering that he got Bailey and still wanted King to be a full avatar despite their marriage, that rule still confuses me).
Hey, it's true! What gives?
andwhyisit wrote:That condition was specific to the Dream Sunderer class, not all avatars.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/ ... sundering/

Bailey is of the White Avenger class, which has entirely different eligibility criteria.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2014/05/ ... d-justice/

King was lined up for the Dark Paladin class which is powered by discontent...

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/ ... -you-know/

..but thanks to Bailey he would have been a pretty weak Dark Paladin.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/06/ ... year-four/
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Nevermind, you guys answered my question. Thank you.

I do have another, though: If they are the equivalent to teenagers, do they age? Do they die?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!