Attack on Titan forum thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

MrNeonShot

Attack on Titan forum thread

Post by MrNeonShot »

Warning: This thread may contain spoilers from the Anime and Manga.
Quick set of rules before I speak: 1. I know most people aren't as much of a feverish Attack on Titan fan as me, so anything posted of anything after the first 3 episodes of the anime will be considered spoilers. Use the spoilers tag to say:
"Sasha Really likes potatoes"
2. Attack on Titan has quite the violence and gore, so anything containing the which must be censored to accommodate a PG-13 rating. Here is an example.
"It must've been hard for Eren when his mom got captured by a titan."
That is obviously not what happened, but this is pretty forum friendly.
3. Feel free to fangirl about whatever is going to be said about Attack on Titan here ^^

Without further ado, I'll start with some facts about where to watch and read Attack on Titan.
With a subscription to Netflix, You can watch the first and season of Attack on Titan on Netflix in Japanese, and the English version should be coming soon.
You can also watch the first 13 episodes on crunchyroll Here

With a subscription to crunchyroll, you can read the all the first 63 Manga's, and there are still more to come.
I know of one other place you can read the manga's, but I'm not sure how legal that place is.

Upcoming events for Attack on Titan
In Japan, they just released the first comic of a new crossover series titled "Attack on Avengers",
Where the Avengers are faced with the titan threat. You can read the article Here.
I AM SO HYPED FOR THIS SERIES!
The series will be translated to english once they get all the comics/mangas released in Japan. I can't wait!!
Article wrote: Attack on Titan/Marvel story in @BRUTUS_mag: 1.) it is plotted by Hajime Isayama himself & 2.) it will run in Japanese & English there.
TURN UP THE HYPE!

Feel free to converse about the series, and remember to follow forum rules ^^
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Re: Attack on Titan forum thread

Post by GeckoZY »

Have you seen the OVAs they've released? http://myanimelist.net/anime/18397/Shin ... Kyojin_OVA
I especially love episode two of the OVAs, particularly the new opening there. :lol:
--> New Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zvX4IqNNo contains Alot of Gore and violins. Contains no spoilers.

They're also releasing another set of OVAs next month:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/25781/Shin ... ki_Sentaku

All of that before the possible release of the second season this coming spring anime season 2015.

Seeing that, I think they've been teasing everyone for the next season. Add to that the movies and other smaller stuff they've released in between. Though admittedly, it's probably for the best since they're waiting for the manga to finish a couple more chapters for the anime.

(Never reads the manga, usually too lazy to do so. Watches animes instead.)
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Read the manga's, bro. It gets intense!
Armin goes cross dressing as a female person from the series xD
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Eh... I'll just hope that they'll show that in season 2. Kinda like the 'Cleaning Levi' scene in both medias. XD
El Psy Congroo
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

How far are you into attack on titan?
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

I've watched all of season 1 a while back now, I guess, almost a year ago? And probably the OVAs between 1 or 2 months ago. You?
El Psy Congroo
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Watched all season 1 and am currently reading the manga's.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

So I found the attack on avengers comic!
It looks pretty awesome ^^
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I probably should give this series a try. That's for posting that link to the episodes, by the way. I don't have an internet connection in my apartment or cable so I can't watch it on Netflix or Adult Swim. I have only seen a few episodes and like most anime you get completely lost if you don't watch it all the way through. I would probably appreciate it more if I saw it as a complete work.

This series kind of reminds me of, and probably took inspiration from, a film also from Japan called "War of the Gargantuas". It was a sequel to a film called "Frankenstein vs Baragon" (aka "Frankenstein Conquers the World"). The first film had the still beating heart of the Frankenstein monster exposed to radiation at Hiroshima that caused a new creature to regenerate from it, grow huge and go on the rampage. "War of the Gargantuas" is about two monsters that grow from the cells of the Frankenstein Monster. One is benevolent and likes humans and the other is savage and catches and devours humans for food. This leads these "brothers" to battle each other.

I hate to ask for some spoilers, but how did the titans come into being? What created them?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Nobody knows yet :v

I haven't seen those shows, but it sounds cool ^^
Radio Blue Heart

MrNeonShot wrote:Nobody knows yet :v

I haven't seen those shows, but it sounds cool ^^
You really should. Check out this gif and you can see the influence.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/1a8b190374e ... o1_250.gif

Being a fan of kaiju films is how I found out about this series. Giant monster movie fans really seem to dig it.
-Virgil
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

That looks awesome ^^
You can read the latest manga's on crunchyroll for free if your interested ^^

Also: I made this ^^
http://fav.me/d8a4l2e
Warning: contains spoilers for anyone on the first few episodes.
Radio Blue Heart

I got the part 1 DVD set and watched the first seven of the thirteen episodes and it blew me away. This show can be draining to watch because it so emotionally intense. It kind of depressed me until Titan Eren showed up and started taking care of business! It takes so many people to kill these stupid things and characters are dying off left, right and center. It would probably infuriate me to be killed by such dumb looking monsters.

Watching it I realize that it combines elements of two for my favorite horror genres, the kaiju/giant monster movie and the zombie apocalypse film. It has giant monsters causing all kinds of mayhem and humans trying to barricade themselves in from shambling, soulless, flesh-eating monsters. But like those two genres, the monsters are stand-ins for disasters that can cause an already collapsing civilization to completely come apart.

One film it reminds me of is George A. Romero's "Land of the Dead"(2005). After the zombie plague has ravaged the world, survivors have taken shelter in a city protected on three sides by rivers and a series of electrified fences on the remaining side. Inside there is a massive discrepancy between the rich and the poor with the poor living in slums and scraping to survive while the rich in total opulence. There are two types of soldiers, the security troops who protect the city and maintain order and the raiders who go out into the surrounding towns to scavenge for food and supplies. The security troops have it easy and push everyone around and the raiders risk life and limb to get supplies and gain some social mobility. It is a society that is rotting from within and when the zombies learn to cross the river, it all comes undone.

Also like Romero's zombies, the titans seek to eat human purely out of instinct and not for actual nourishment, have to be killed in a specific way, have numbers on their side, and are evolving in their abilities.

Another two films that I have mentioned before that seems to influence "Attack on Titan" are "Frankenstein Conquers the World" (1965, aka "Frankenstein vs Baragon") and its sequel "War of the Gargantuas" (1966 aka "Frankenstein's Monsters: Sanda vs Gaira") which feature humanoid kaiju that would either save humans or eat them.

A film that film that "Attack on Titan" reminds me of is the British monster movie "Monsters" (2010) in which the characters have to cross a walled no-man's-land filled with monsters.

Over all I liked it. It had beautiful animation, great voice acting and a great satirical plot. I look forward to watching the rest!
-Virgil
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Hey, I finally know where the titans came from!
But I can't spoil it. All I can say is that the show/manga is freaking intense!
Radio Blue Heart

MrNeonShot wrote:Hey, I finally know where the titans came from!
I finished the first 13 episodes and it was amazing. Although it still amazes me at how many established characters get killed.

I cheated and read ahead on the wiki. I know who is making them and how, but the why is still a mystery.
-Virgil
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
MrNeonShot wrote:Hey, I finally know where the titans came from!
I finished the first 13 episodes and it was amazing. Although it still amazes me at how many established characters get killed.

I cheated and read ahead on the wiki. I know who is making them and how, but the why is still a mystery.
Well, the best part is, Sasha Braus is still alive* ** *** **** ^^
*As far as the anime is concerned
**Nope, not reading the manga for now
***I really hope she doesn't die ^^'
****Best character in AoT
El Psy Congroo
Radio Blue Heart

Yes, Sasha provides some much need levity in such a dark, heavy show. Near as I can tell, she will keep surviving.

Just wanted to share a few pictures I found on Tumblr.

"Attack on Titan" meets "Dinosaurs Attack"

And more of a connection between "Attack on Titan" and the Toho films "Frankenstein vs Baragon" and "War of the Gargantuas".

Earlier I was making connection between "Attack on Titan" and the zombie apocalypse genre and it turns out I was not that far off. The series's director also directed another favorite horror anime series of mine, "High School of the Dead". Both series have been called Japan's answer to "The Walking Dead". It has many of the same hallmarks. Endearing characters, flesh eating monsters, horrific violence, and people who are at times more of a danger to you than the monsters.
-Virgil
Radio Blue Heart

Footage has just been released of the live action version!

Here's a gif.
-Virgil
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Footage has just been released of the live action version!

Here's a gif.
I seriously hope this isn't going to be cheesy. The titan looks cool, though!
Radio Blue Heart

A poster is out.

and it appears that they have a bit more of an advantage over the titans.
Here, Zoe is armed with a FIM-92A Stinger anti-aircraft missile launcher and a RPG-7 anti-tank missile launcher. Those are a bit more powerful and versatile than cannons. So their situation may not be as desperate as it is in the show.
-Virgil
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Okay, I officially give up on that movie. One of the main story points of AoT is that humanity's weaponry has been forced to stop evolving due to a bunch of complicated stuff I don't care to explain. Now they're giving them missile launchers...
-_-*
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Unfortunately the movie has received negative reviews. But on the other hand we have the manga and the anime. I have only watched the first 11 episodes of the anime and am currently watching the rest but from what I have seen this show is absolutely amazing, the visuals are stunning and story telling fantastic. It is my first violent anime and I love it. I will read the manga at some point.
Hi Hi Pie
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Number9Dysonsphere wrote:Unfortunately the movie has received negative reviews. But on the other hand we have the manga and the anime. I have only watched the first 11 episodes of the anime and am currently watching the rest but from what I have seen this show is absolutely amazing, the visuals are stunning and story telling fantastic. It is my first violent anime and I love it. I will read the manga at some point.
Anime movies are never good. I'm surprised that the last airbender is getting a sequel. The only person who wanted that was M. Night!
But the anime is awesome, and you'll love manga ^^
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

MrNeonShot wrote:Anime movies are never good.
even assuming you mean live action anime movies, the live action Death Note movies were good. and the Last Airbender movie had the problem of squeezing about 5 hours of show into about an hour and 45 minutes of movie, with a low budget for bending effects, and with the studios stepping in and controlling casting decisions.

AoT at least probably had the budget issue, cause I can imagine those titans take a lot of CGI budget to make them look good. I haven't seen the movie, and based on reviews and the fact that I didn't see it when it was in theaters on Wednesday, I probably won't see it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

MrNeonShot wrote:Anime movies are never good. I'm surprised that the last airbender is getting a sequel. The only person who wanted that was M. Night!
From what I understood they were only getting a sequel because the original contract was to adapt all three "books" (seasons).
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:the Last Airbender movie had the problem of squeezing about 5 hours of show into about an hour and 45 minutes of movie, with a low budget for bending effects, and with the studios stepping in and controlling casting decisions.
You forgot mediocre acting, trying to convey everything via exposition, complete failure to understand how bending works, (fire bending doesn't need an ignition source, ever, any bender of even mediocre skill can move roughly their body weight worth of their element in a few seconds, the ratio of motions of the bender to motions of the material being bent are 1:1 not 16:1) and UNNNNEEEECCCECCCCAAAAARRRYYYYYYY SSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW MMMMOOOOTTTTIIIIOOOOONNNNN, on top of what you already mentioned.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I covered mediocre acting by mentioning the studios controlling the casting, it wasn't based on skill. the exposition thing could be explained with having so much story to cover in so little time. the rest of it I probably didn't notice cause I actually saw the movie before ever seeing the show.

but let's get back to discussion of this particular anime movie, or the anime or the manga.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

The last airbender movie was a complete flop in every way. Attack on Titan would have been even harder to adapt though. Every episode had a lot of action, gore and story. They were balanced out so that the audience doesn't grow bored...ever. A movie is even harder because even a simple fight against 1 titan would require a massive special effects budget to look anything like the shows fast paced action. .
Exposition would be difficult because there is so much for them to explain, a moviegoer will expect a full complete closed story which explaines everything whilst a show can keep a mystery going for a whole season or 2.
At least it doesn't sound nearly as bad the Dragon Ball Evolution movie, I haven't seen it or the Dragon Ball anime but from the reviews clips I have seen it was a horrendous adaptaion.
Hi Hi Pie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

All series to movie adaptations suffer from plot compression issues though, Anime or not. Anime & cartoon adaptations just have the added problem of astronomical special effects requirements, thanks to the cast no longer being able to break the laws of physics whenever plot demands. What matters isn't that problem being there, but what they do to fix/mitigate it.

AoT is no exception to that. Though at least from the trailers they don't look like it'll be anywhere near one of the worst offenders out there.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Team Four Star is my first, and really, only, reason I know of Attack on Titan. Not intrigued enough to check out the series, unfortunately. And bummed that the TFS version got cancelled due to legal issues.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.