HPU: Applegate OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: HPU: Applegate OOC

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hlaoroo wrote:I understand.. But the fact is, he's capable of far more than the average pet with a few weak innate abilities. Still, if Brent's happy then I am. :) It might be fun to have a pet who can hold his own against the ghosts. :)
yeah, I figured that if we can have Hubert, with all his teleportation and stuff, this level of magic is fine as long as it isn't used too often. plus it could lead to some interesting story opportunities.
If there are no objections by the 24 hours after you posted your sheet, you can go ahead and start posting, Moon.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I object!
Just kidding. :P
I don't know much about Hubert but if he's more powerful than Miles and Tara then he must be pretty scary. It could be fun to have someone to match him. I vote we let TMH join. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I don't have Any objections to this. Welcome to applegate
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Initially my biggest reservation was that he might be too talented.

He has a bit of leeway on that, given he's six years old—making him at least a year older than most of the pets here—but there's still quite a discrepancy between him and the others. He can fight, he knows magic, he's versed in a few instruments, and he knows how to survive alone/in the wild. The only real weakness I can see in his bio is that he's hard-headed, and even that's not a very big weakness.

And then I look at how extravagant his back-story is. I mean, something he can talk about, yes, but that seems like the kind of thing you hide to keep low-profile. Something contrasted in his appearance. He looks like he /wants/ the attention.

Third: A traveling show is fine, but how does he keep from being taken in by humans where he's traveling alone? I know I ask a lot of questions, but this seems pretty important. With no-one he can tell to call to show he has permission to be alone or purchase items—let alone to identify him as a pet—he's pretty suspicious.

Fourth: Bandages need replaced because they get dirty. The demon hunter only provided the bandage. Traveling alone, he has no means of replacing the bandage should it become damaged or dirtied. How does he still have one?

Fifth: His personality contradicts itself. It says he's protective over his past, but that he talks about it openly. Is he emotionally wounded or not?

Not to say it's not a good character in practice, but his overview seems to need a bit of work at least.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Very good points there, Leaf. I think you're right too that those ought to be addressed.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Ah, let me step right in to try and clarify things for ya:
Leafolawl wrote:Initially my biggest reservation was that he might be too talented.

He has a bit of leeway on that, given he's six years old—making him at least a year older than most of the pets here—but there's still quite a discrepancy between him and the others. He can fight, he knows magic, he's versed in a few instruments, and he knows how to survive alone/in the wild. The only real weakness I can see in his bio is that he's hard-headed, and even that's not a very big weakness.
An year old than most is pretty much nothing.
It ain't that hard to imagine the situation in here, he pretty much knows the basics of survival and fighting when he meets that first wolf Mystic. From that point on it's either fast learning or right out memory share (a magical act in which the master transfers a copy of certain, specifically selected (or not if need be) memories directly in the student's mind), which requires them to be similar enough - and they are. Perhaps the same happened with some of his other teachers along the way or he learned some of it on his own?
The singing part for one is just natural to him. He ain't a professional singer or guitar/piano player and I never stated anywhere that he is, so don't expect him to go full on Pavarotti or Elton John.

Also about the weakness part - the fact that I don't reveal everything does not mean it's not there. It simply means that everything will be revealed in due time. After all, what is life without a little mystery in it?
Leafolawl wrote:And then I look at how extravagant his back-story is. I mean, something he can talk about, yes, but that seems like the kind of thing you hide to keep low-profile. Something contrasted in his appearance. He looks like he /wants/ the attention.
When did I ever mention that he'll be completely honest about his past when it comes to story telling?
Besides, there's more than one way to keep a low profile.
And the only ones that will probably give him any attention are the ones that want to. After all, he doesn't walk around with a giant neon sign "I seek attention!" above his head right?...right?
Leafolawl wrote:Third: A traveling show is fine, but how does he keep from being taken in by humans where he's traveling alone? I know I ask a lot of questions, but this seems pretty important. With no-one he can tell to call to show he has permission to be alone or purchase items—let alone to identify him as a pet—he's pretty suspicious.
He performs for money whenever there's a carnival or any other kind of festivity where there are more than one traveling magician to participate (in other words he blends in). The only attention would be having there will probably be something like that: "hey, look at the magician doggie - let's check him out." and I really doubt he'll be any more suspicious than the other magician 10 meter away from him.
Besides, he only visits small town, which usually means that people there are more open minded and less paranoid than those of the big city. And I doubt going to the store and buying food is that big of a deal, right?
Well, if that answer is not good enough for ya - if need be he should be able to "catch" himself a dinner...
Also if things go south for him - I guess he can run fast?
Leafolawl wrote:Fourth: Bandages need replaced because they get dirty. The demon hunter only provided the bandage. Traveling alone, he has no means of replacing the bandage should it become damaged or dirtied. How does he still have one?
I did mention that the bandage is magical in nature (No, the bandage will not turn into a magical mummy that will walk around and throw fire-balls left and right).
Leafolawl wrote:Fifth: His personality contradicts itself. It says he's protective over his past, but that he talks about it openly. Is he emotionally wounded or not?
No contradiction whatsoever - he's an entertainer to the large public, so he has to be talkative in order to be interesting, right?
Yet talkative does not mean he'll simply spill the beans about his past to the first stranger, so there's your answer to that.
Not to the emotionally scarred part - Yes he is, but that does not mean he'll be curled in a ball somewhere and crying where no one sees him. He is strong willed and willing to make the best of his life no matter what. In other words - he does not see the world in fifty shades of gray, but in all the color there is around him.

Hope this explanation is good enough for ya. If you need any more info or explanations - I will be happy to oblige.
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
ascdren

Post by ascdren »

My char sheet is typed up on my laptop, will post it as soon as I can but charger has broke so going to be a day or 2 while I wait for new one to arrive. Many appologies.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks for that explanation, TMH.
I think I find the idea of just transferring memories and the person automatically having skills as a result of it to be a bit deus ex machina. Knowledge I can understand being passed on but I feel that skills ought to be learned.
Other than that though, I think it was a satisfactory explanation and I'm happy. :)

No worries, asc. I completely understand. :) There's no rush. The RP will still be here when you get on top of things. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Moon Howler

Hlaoroo, don't underestimate the combination of Nature and arcane magic. Just to make it clear on how the process works: With the arcane magic one can transfer his/her memories onto another. However, when that arcane spell is carefully weaved with nature magic, the caster can transfer not only his mental experience/understanding but the physical one as well. All the recipient needs to do is to practice it a bit so his body could adjust to the new knowledge/skill. The only back-side is that until this short period of acclimatization to the skill, the recipient will suffer from headaches, overall weakness and will tire quickly. Loss of consciousness (fainting) is also a possible side effect. Martin went through all that
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

My RP Characters
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I'm still not comfortable with how talented he is in contrast to how many actual weaknesses he has stated.

And I agree with Hlaoroo:
Hlaoroo wrote:I think I find the idea of just transferring memories and the person automatically having skills as a result of it to be a bit deus ex machina.
The thing is that he won't be going through the weakened state, as you've said, but instead that he's already done it. It's a bit... off, to me.

As for the other points:

Traveling show: If he joins other performers, yeah, he's likely to blend in where he's dressed in an odd way... As long as he's not pulling in too big a crowd. Being the the past though, I trust he's learned that the hard way and has gotten into the habit of that.

Getting food: Possible, yeah. I was more concerned about his bathing habits, since he would need a pet care facility or a bathroom for that. The latter entails him having a hotel room.

The bandage: I suppose where it's only meant to cover a scar, it's not likely to be too dirty unless a wound opens up beneath it, which isn't that hard to avoid.

Perhaps it's just bad phrasing in the bio. I didn't see him as the curled up in a corner type. He's got his reasons to be insecure and scared, but not to shut himself out from the world. I see it more likely as exactly as you've said in your explanation.

So those are all good. I'll be keeping watch for the unmentioned weaknesses.

As far as I'm concerned now though, yes, I'm okay with him being in. One of five issues being left somewhat unresolved is good enough.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:As far as I'm concerned now though, yes, I'm okay with him being in. One of five issues being left somewhat unresolved is good enough.
Actually, I kind of agree that he's a bit too skilled.
I understand the survival skills, cause maybe his previous owner took him camping a lot in that year or so that he was alive. then he increased his skill out of necessity. and maybe he picked up guitar while training with the first mystic. and survival skills would include a basic knowledge of how to fight an untrained enemy.

but I'm going to put a veto on automatically learning several forms of combat and magic and being able to use them with any skill.
I'll accept him gaining basic knowledge of several forms with that method. but in the 13.5 at most pet years, meaning about 4 human years, that he was training with all those mystics, I'll say he only had time to master maybe 1 of them, along with his magic.

so, If you want him to have mastered magic, limit his combat skills to one form. If you're good with him being just pretty good at magic, I'll accept 2.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Moon Howler

Edited to suit given specifications and restrictions and ready for inquisition inspection level 2

My RP Characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I think that looks fine now. Much more believable. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

My only objections is that TMH character seems a bit TOO magical even for a place like Applegate. Even at his current state. But that's just me.
The Moon Howler

TOO magical? With all due respect, but your character is a ghost/spirit. I'm just saying... that you probably didn't read the reworked CS on the bottom of page 34, which practically makes probably half of my explanations obsolete...

My RP Characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

to me Moon Howler's edited CS seems reasonable , he's basically a druid/mage with a knowledge of the modern world , I'm sure that he won't be using his magical side much , unless needed to , as in confronted by another magical force or something , which is not gonna happen frequently in AG .
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The hygiene thing was because Rena would have mixed ideas on what he might be based on how he smells. If he smells dirty, she could think he's a stray, but with the wolf in him, she might think feral. If he smells clean, she might think he's lost or that he's recently lost his owner. The detail there is highly significant to her.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

looks good to me, if there are no more objections you can go ahead and start posting 24 hours after your edit.
xhunterko wrote:My only objections is that TMH character seems a bit TOO magical even for a place like Applegate. Even at his current state. But that's just me.
Hubert is a magic dragon ghost who teleported Janus and Buster to mars for a picnic, and is established to be an ancient guardian spirit of Blue Peak Shore in its eponymous RP. I think this level of magic's alright as long as it isn't used too heavily :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Yeah. But my character is a Ghost/spirit. Limited in his abilities in what he can do. And Hubert is Hubert. But Serence's explanation of a druid/mage makes a bit more sense. Though he'd still come off as odd when compared to the other pets. He's still fine, just a tad odd.
The Moon Howler

xhunterko wrote:Yeah. But my character is a Ghost/spirit. Limited in his abilities in what he can do. And Hubert is Hubert. But Serence's explanation of a druid/mage makes a bit more sense. Though he'd still come off as odd when compared to the other pets. He's still fine, just a tad odd.
Don't worry, I clearly stated in page 34 that unless forced he won't be using any sort of non-entertainment magic. As far as oddity goes - what's life without a little oddity and in the HP! Universe that must be at least tenfold.

My RP Characters
The Moon Howler

Sorry for the double post, but I am currently on my phone and it's just too troublesome (as a newbie with that kind of phones) to edit posts.
Anyway, can anyone direct me on the latest good spots,aside from the forest, to join in?

My RP Characters
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Well, I believe everyone is in the bookstore currently. So if your character were at the Town Hall, registering to live in Applegate, some exploring could lead to them finding the other pets. It you could bring him through the forest.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

well Martin could have already been in town , and stumbles upon the rest at the bookstore , whether by chance , he was intentionally looking for a bookstore , or he sense a spirit of some sort and wanted to check it out as well (Miles , Tara , or that mysterious spirit that follows Serenade around) :P
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I like Serence's idea. It would fit with Martin's character sheet.

For the record, a double post like that, when there's been a couple of days between posts and you're asking an unrelated question, is okay. That rule is more to stop spamming and page clogging anyway. If you'd posted that question as an afterthought two minutes after responding to xhunter's comment, that's when we'd have asked you to fix it, even though it's not directly related. So what you did there is fine. ^^

So what's this about a spirit following Serenade? Is this the bad part of her that I think I heard you mentioning, Serence? I think I came in just after that arc.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

yes it's the "bad" part of her , but it's not an arc by any means , she only appeared now and then up until this point as a foreshadowing of an arc that might happen , but not yet , since I'm kinda having my paw full with real life stuff right now ^^"
The Moon Howler

A sound idea, serence! Though some tweaks should be added to avoid any inconveniences, but I'll use that!
Expect the "Return of The Moon Howler" (pt 2) somewhere between the next next hour and tomorrow morning.

My RP Characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

yay ! :D
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

(my first RP character sheet. i think its pretty good for a first. i also hope you dont mind me requesting to join all of a sudden. im new to forum RPs)
name: Swift Stevens

color: dark green

type: Main

Species/breed: border Collie/Mixed breed

Neighborhood: Applegate

Appearance: Collie fur pattern, except the white blotches are colored dark grey. he also has dark green eyes. Swift wears a white collar with a polished silver arrow-shaped tag

Personality: kind of a downer whenever he is in a crowd. Always focusing on the negative things in life, but he knows when to hold his tongue with his negative comments so he wont get in trouble. His owners are particularly lazy, so he has to find his own methods of entertaining himself, which usually results in more boredom, Swift seems to have little enthusiasm when it comes to exciting events and his friends, but deep down he really cares

other notes: Swift was raised by a sheep dog family that taught him how to run faster than most other animals, he likes to use this skill on his current owner. he likes to fly out the front door any chance he gets. Swift also believes that he is cursed with bad luck ever since he was adopted by his lazy owner

Special:
Strength: 6
Perception: 5
Endurance: 9
Charisma: 4
Intelligence: 5
Agility: 10
Luck: 3

--------
Name: Eddy Stevens

Color: Blue

Type: Minor

Species Human

Neighborhood: Applegate

Appearance: Ed is a slightly overweight, white male that wears clothes for weeks at a time while he stays secluded in his house. To most pets he would look like a total slob. but he is surprisingly able to clean himself up quickly for work and other important events

Personality: Ed is what you would consider an "opportunist". Anytime the option for him to laze around his house and let his Pet Dog "Swift" handle it, he will take that opportunity without a second thought. He will rarely be seen outside his house other than to get to work. but he takes important dates very seriously, so he will clean himself and his house up for special occasions.

Other info: Ed has a certain "Sixth Sense" when it comes to his Pet dog "Swift" since he likes to run off any chance he gets , its like he can sense when he is not in the house and he will immediately go out to look for him for reasons that he will never say to a stranger
Last edited by The-J-Man on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Since I'm not a mod, I can't say anything about your character, but I can say try not to double post. There's an edit button up on the right side of the post box. You can fix up a post with it! Just helping out.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

Mickey wrote:Since I'm not a mod, I saying about your character, but I can say try not to double post. There's an edit button up on the right side of the post box. You can fix up a post with it! Just helping out.
thanks for your help
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Just doing my part, friend!
My characters!
The Moon Howler

humans are merely NPC in the RPs, no matter the fact that you're controlling them. No need for Specials and all that - just mention name, and some info.
Human speech is also standard black color, but either underlined or bold-ed, depending on the RP. Usually underlined.

EDIT: just noticed you didn't put the Charisma in the s.p.e.c.i.a.l. Right now you have a s.p.e.i.a.l

My RP Characters
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

The Moon Howler wrote:humans are merely NPC in the RPs, no matter the fact that you're controlling them. No need for Specials and all that - just mention name, and some info.
Human speech is also standard black color, but either underlined or bold-ed, depending on the RP. Usually underlined.

EDIT: just noticed you didn't put the Charisma in the s.p.e.c.i.a.l. Right now you have a s.p.e.i.a.l
thanks. forgive my Noobness. i fixed the SPECIAL stats
The Moon Howler

The-J-Man wrote:Thanks. forgive my Noobness. i fixed the SPECIAL stats
Always glad to help.
Also, your choice of word is a bit wrong - it's "newbieness" you're looking for, not "noobness", because newbiness implies that you're new at this and because of that - it's okay if you make mistakes. Noobness on the other side means that you know how to do the thing and still can't do it right even after the 100th time.

My RP Characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Mickey wrote:Since I'm not a mod, I can't say anything about your character, but I can say try not to double post. There's an edit button up on the right side of the post box. You can fix up a post with it! Just helping out.
Since I am a mod, I can say not to minimod, Mickey. He can't delete the double post if you've posted after him. ;) I fixed it for him now but in future if you see something like that, either use the report button or PM a mod. ;)

J-Man, that's nothing personal. It's just a rule we have here to avoid spamming and clogging up pages. Generally speaking, you're probably okay to do a double post like that if it's been a day or more between your posts, but otherwise, please do try to avoid double posting, and do use the edit button as Mickey pointed out. :)

As to the character sheet, mods don't approve or disapprove them unless something on the sheet breaks forum rules. Yours does not, so that means that Brent in the role of GM and not as a mod will give it a look-see and let you know what he thinks as soon as he's free. :) Some of us mods do do double duty as GMs but that's purely coincidental and it'll always be clear which we're acting as.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Mickey wrote:Since I'm not a mod, I can't say anything about your character, but I can say try not to double post. There's an edit button up on the right side of the post box. You can fix up a post with it! Just helping out.
Since I am a mod, I can say not to minimod, Mickey. He can't delete the double post if you've posted after him. ;) I fixed it for him now but in future if you see something like that, either use the report button or PM a mod. ;)

J-Man, that's nothing personal. It's just a rule we have here to avoid spamming and clogging up pages. Generally speaking, you're probably okay to do a double post like that if it's been a day or more between your posts, but otherwise, please do try to avoid double posting, and do use the edit button as Mickey pointed out. :)

As to the character sheet, mods don't approve or disapprove them unless something on the sheet breaks forum rules. Yours does not, so that means that Brent in the role of GM and not as a mod will give it a look-see and let you know what he thinks as soon as he's free. :) Some of us mods do do double duty as GMs but that's purely coincidental and it'll always be clear which we're acting as.
Thank you. you've saved me a lot of trouble by doing that.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

This character seems alright.
Though the way you worded it, does this mean the owner tries to keep him in the house all the time and goes after him whenever he goes out, or does he only go out to get him when there's some reason for him to stay in the house? because if it's the first one, I don't like that idea, because then we'll have the owner coming and interrupting whatever's going on with Swift all the time.

also, as Moon said, humans don't need a color, their dialogue is always just black underlined.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:This character seems alright.
Though the way you worded it, does this mean the owner tries to keep him in the house all the time and goes after him whenever he goes out, or does he only go out to get him when there's some reason for him to stay in the house? because if it's the first one, I don't like that idea, because then we'll have the owner coming and interrupting whatever's going on with Swift all the time.

also, as Moon said, humans don't need a color, their dialogue is always just black underlined.
Sorry for not explaining. My intention was to say that Swift is Often given a chore to do for his owner whenever he goes outside, such as going to the store for a snack or picking up a book for him. Swift does as he pleases in the meantime
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

alright then. Anyone else have any objections? If not you can post in 24 hours.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:alright then. Anyone else have any objections? If not you can post in 24 hours.
hooray. i look forward to getting involved