Let's talk. (Site Feedback Survey Discussion)

What are we doing!?
Dissension

Let's talk. (Site Feedback Survey Discussion)

Post by Dissension »

This is a thread in which I'll share some feedback we've received from the ongoing survey and how we're reacting to it. You may also post any questions you have about the site in general, forum staff operations, or the quiz itself here and I'll answer them. The first round of feedback responses will be in my next post, sometime in the next few hours.

(I need to go shopping and stuff 'cause, contrary to popular belief, I'm a real boy girl squirrel.)

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Douglas Collier

Re: Let's talk. (Site Feedback Survey Discussion)

Post by Douglas Collier »

I was wondering, does copper do most of his/her work behind the scenes? - I've only seen him/her post a handful of times since I joined. =/

Also, Diss, how come you don't post on the forums in a non-administrative function more often?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

First, I'll discuss some of the feedback I received from y'all. Unsurprisingly, your activity is fairly diverse. Of the responses submitted so far, here's how self-reported forum activity breaks down. (Users were asked to name the section in which they are most often active.)
  • Not the Comic (35.5%)
  • The Comic (33.3%)
  • Roleplaying (22.2%)
  • Fan Projects (8.9%)

This is not dissimilar from results in past years, though The Comic has seen an increase in self-reported activity and Roleplaying has seen a corresponding decline.

I'm happy to learn that most (98%) of you are confident in and satisfied with the performance of our forum and section moderators (staff members with dark blue usernames). It's important a community has faith in those given leadership roles. Having said that, fewer individuals were satisfied with the activity level of our supermoderators (or global moderators, staff users with green usernames). Several respondents noted apparent absence of the global moderators. As a result, those individuals are trying to find time to post more frequently.

Disconcertingly, some respondents indicated they believe staff members show favoritism and are allowed to play fast and loose with the rules. In actuality, there is an entire forum dedicated to keeping us honest. You may post a thread in this forum any time you believe a moderator acts incorrectly (after first attempting to resolve the issue with the staff member via private message). Retaliation for posting on this board will not be permitted.

One user wrote "...can you guys please post a sticky on why the site has been running so badly for the past few months? No one has really publicly addressed the problem." However, there was an open topic on site performance issues open from December 23rd through March 16th. Generally, official communications will be placed in the Announcements & Feedback forum, which floats above all other forums on our index page.

One user provided feedback I'd really like to comment on, but which far exceeds the forum rating. Aw, shucks.

Douglas Collier wrote:I was wondering, does copper do most of his/her work behind the scenes? - I've only seen him/her post a handful of times since I joined. =/

Copper is a global moderator, meaning he has full moderator authority in every forum. His school and work life don't leave as much time for posting as they once did, but he is still very much part of our team and weighs in on issues affecting the site and everyday moderator activity.

Douglas Collier wrote:Also, Diss, how come you don't post on the forums in a non-administrative function more often?

Till fairly recently, I was unemployed and able to access the Internet only via public wifi hotspots or my mobile phone. I may post more frequently, but don't be disappointed if I'm still less active than when I was a moderator.

I'll post more later, particularly regarding some of the detailed site feedback y'all gave.

dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I was wondering if there was a reason we don't see Foxstar more. I had no idea who they were when I took the survey, and I had to look back at several topics before I remembered them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That was one of the things that I asked about also. How come we only see him once in a blue moon.

Also, when was Diss promoted? I remember that there was someone promoted when I first joined here, but I don't know if that was Diss or someone else.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

FoxStar was one of the first moderators both on the forum and the comic page (prior to moving comic discussion exclusively to the forum). His activity level, as far as posting, is somewhat sporadic. FoxStar does read the forums but only posts when he has extra free time, so he can have a backlog of posts to make when he does come online. These posting sprees are kind of notorious among members who've been around for a while.

As for myself, I moderated Not the Comic starting in October 2010, became a comic moderator and editor in February 2011, and was elected global moderator in July 2011. I've been site administrator since June 2013.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I remember that there was someone promoted when I first joined here
Hmm. You joined in August of last year. Copper was promoted to Global in mid-March of that year and I was made GM Liaison at the end of April. Goforit was promoted to mod of the comic section in mid-June and I was made a full RP moderator at the same time as Rockstar was put on inactive status due to illness. No one has been promoted since then. So you might have seen a thread about an election or promotion from earlier on. I hope that helps. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then I guess it must have been you that was promoted even if I wasn't around. I must have saw the post somewhere.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I still haven't a clue who half the people the survey mentioned as examples of staff tiers are...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Perhaps this page will help some. That shows you each member of staff and what they moderate or what their role is.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm wondering why Karishad is still an admin when he no longer comes here though.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Karishad became an admin much more recently than his last posts on the board. It was sort of a contingency not requiring detailed exposition.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Wait, Karishad is an actual person? I thought he was just a character of rick's.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Housepets was actually dedicated to Karishad. It says it on the about page.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

What exactly was the contingency? I would like to know.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's not open for detailed discussion, sorry. It should suffice to say a situation arose which made Rick feel like he needed a trusted person in a position of authority while I was away. The situation was promptly resolved. The contingency never came to pass.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ooh. Now I get it. He was a backup in case the forum needed something while you were away.

Why is he still a mod though? Did he never get de-modded?
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Quick question. Was this survey just for the forums or the whole housepets site in general?
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Most of the questions are forum-specific, but there are opportunities to provide feedback on the entire site.

Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Ok. I didn't want to seem like i was nit picking.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that there were indeed some questions for the main site, but I can't really remember which questions they were as I answered as if everything was forum-specific.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I have concerns about feedback from several respondents alleging biased enforcement of rules. Favoritism isn't something I'll tolerate. If you would like to go into specifics, you are welcome to send me a private message, e-mail me (by clicking the "email" button on this post), or post in this thread. Retribution against anyone who posts in the rules and moderator discussion forum is strictly forbidden.