The Problem with Shared Universes

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

rickgriffin
Site Admin

The Problem with Shared Universes

Post by rickgriffin »

Okay now just think about this for a moment

Say you have one film company, Disney perhaps, who takes a large chunk of their canon and starts making crossovers, a la House of Mouse.

So then eventually they realize that the crossovers are the best thing they're doing anymore and declare that all of it, all of it, is in the same universe.

Does nobody really consider for a minute that maybe, just maybe, forcing disparate series to play together actually create more problems than it has potential for interesting stories?
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
ChewyChewy

Re: The Problem with Shared Universes

Post by ChewyChewy »

I'd imagine there would be continuity problems, certainly.... :?
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

You could pretty much say the same thing about DC Universe.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:Okay now just think about this for a moment

Say you have one film company, Disney perhaps, who takes a large chunk of their canon and starts making crossovers, a la House of Mouse.

So then eventually they realize that the crossovers are the best thing they're doing anymore and declare that all of it, all of it, is in the same universe.

Does nobody really consider for a minute that maybe, just maybe, forcing disparate series to play together actually create more problems than it has potential for interesting stories?
I kind of agree with you Rick. IMO Crossover are cool when done every once in a while (I really do love a good crossover) but when you start getting into shared universe there are problems because it causes to many inconsistencies in the world. I mean when you do the occasional crossover you can ignore the inconsistencies and problem for the sake of a good story (or at least explain them away easily) but when its a shared universe (depending on what series are sharing the universe anyway there are some that could work in a shared universe) its just to hard too do it
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I was watching Atop the Fourth Wall when Linkara made one of his random diatribes against the Spider-man storyline One More Day.

He said that Mephistopheles should not have been the character to be the running villain of that storyline, because Mephisto doesn't "fit" with Spider-Man's world.

Um, hello? Mephisto is part of the Marvel Universe. Absolutely everything of that nature is fair game once you have a shared universe, and you cannot fall back on the style and tone of each individual title because it is immediately muddied, especially when a typically mad-science setting like Spider-Man has to share the same universe with magical powers and supernatural forces.

(Not that the "it's magic so we don't have to explain it" reasoning doesn't make sense by any stretch of the imagination)

But I never really got any of his arguments that certain parts of the comic universes have "nothing to do" with other parts.
Liam

Post by Liam »

rickgriffin wrote:Mephisto doesn't "fit" with Spider-Man's world.
Spidey was always a rather scientifically orientated series. It's more of a stylistic thing whether or not you think that and a stand-in for the devil equipped with all kinds of magic hokum go well together.

The actual problem with that story is the fact Quesada used massive character derailment and plot contrivances to satisfy his crude fanboy desire to bring Spidey back to his nerdy single self of Quesada's childhood.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Frank

Post by Frank »

You know the link I posted in the comments section for that strip? It also says that if Disney were to do that, the first problem is that since The Brave Little Toaster declares household appliances to be people too, every telephone smashed, every toaster broken, every car that is crashed, becomes a crime.

Second problem: Pocahontas declares "...every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name," shown graphically with the Grandmother Willow character. Consequence? When the villagers in Beauty and the Beast cut down a tree to ram the door of the castle, they were committing murder. Worse, when Hercules smashed his head into a river rock and broke it, he was also commiting a crime.

This could really go on forever but, yes, it does create way more problems than its worth.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My preferred tactic is to keep it non-canon and go crazy. Trying to justify things just makes everything go wonky.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I'm sure saying Marvel characters and Disney characters are in the same universe will not cause any confusion or plot holes whatsoever.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

This caused me to remember the rugrats/aliza(girl who talked to animals) movie. However VASTLY unlikely the movie was, I seem to remember that it worked at some level, since technically both shows could exist in the same world.
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

The fan's issues with One More Day I believe are more towards the hackeyed way it was done more then the idea of it being
done. People could deal with MJ and Peter being broken apart because of the pressures of his job even though for years most
writers had woven a pretty good story about how it's stressful, fustrating but it works. The idea that such a thing needed basically
Satan to come in and void it all for lolretcon is just too much to take, more so when people had single Spidey for years on end
and somehow he made it to a point so many nerds want..to be with that one person.

On shared universes, if it's done right, it can make for some great crossovers. It's not always done right though.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Do Aeris and Leo live across the street of Peanut and Grape?
cant they come over?, I heard they have a awesome new Wii game
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They're only in a comic every month or so because they spend most of their time in Babylon Gardens.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Kyderra wrote:Do Aeris and Leo live across the street of Peanut and Grape?
cant they come over?, I heard they have a awesome new Wii game
>_> No, just no.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

peanut and grape in ina
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ebly wrote:peanut and grape in ina
Indonesia?

Indian National Army?

Iraqi National Alliance?

Iraqi National Accord?

Institute of Nautical Archaeology?

Ina, crater on the Moon?

Ina, Ibaraki/Nagano/Saitama, Japan?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Liam wrote:
Ebly wrote:peanut and grape in ina
Indonesia?

Indian National Army?

Iraqi National Alliance?

Iraqi National Accord?

Institute of Nautical Archaeology?

Ina, crater on the Moon?

Ina, Ibaraki/Nagano/Saitama, Japan?
in the new age
one of rick's many other settings
though i'm sure all of those would be totally justifiable
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

rickgriffin wrote: He said that Mephistopheles should not have been the character to be the running villain of that storyline, because Mephisto doesn't "fit" with Spider-Man's world.

Um, hello? Mephisto is part of the Marvel Universe. Absolutely everything of that nature is fair game once you have a shared universe, and you cannot fall back on the style and tone of each individual title because it is immediately muddied, especially when a typically mad-science setting like Spider-Man has to share the same universe with magical powers and supernatural forces.
One More Day was awful, but not because it used Marval Characters. Linkara should know this. There's tons of things bad about One More Day, why'd he have to talk about something that's perfectly reasonable?
Frank wrote:You know the link I posted in the comments section for that strip? It also says that if Disney were to do that, the first problem is that since The Brave Little Toaster declares household appliances to be people too, every telephone smashed, every toaster broken, every car that is crashed, becomes a crime.

Second problem: Pocahontas declares "...every rock and tree and creature has a life, has a spirit, has a name," shown graphically with the Grandmother Willow character. Consequence? When the villagers in Beauty and the Beast cut down a tree to ram the door of the castle, they were committing murder. Worse, when Hercules smashed his head into a river rock and broke it, he was also commiting a crime.

This could really go on forever but, yes, it does create way more problems than its worth.
Nah man, you can solve problems like that. In The Hunchback of Notre Dame, we saw the statues move but it seems that Quasimodo was just seeing things based on lonelyness. Maybe Pocahantas is just seeing things based on beliefs, and the rocks and trees aren't really sentient things?

And there's nothing stopping us from going the Toy Story route with appliances. They're alive and all, but humans don't know this and treat them accordingly. The toys and appliances don't begrudge them of this necessarily.

I like doing things like this. :D Trying to make large crossovers work is great fun for me. One day I hope to figure out how to put every movie in the Disney Animated Canon (With the exception of weird things like The Three Caballeros), and their respective spinoffs into a single world and tell some big crossover story in it.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ebly wrote:in the new age
*checks Rick's FA*

Oh, that. But would they work together?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Liam wrote:
Ebly wrote:in the new age
*checks Rick's FA*

Oh, that. But would they work together?
they wouldn't at all
think of it as a parody of DC or Marvel or Take Your Pick They're All The Same
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Sometimes crossovers make an interesting story. In fact, the whole basis of my Fantasy World Report idea is to "cross over" real-world elements in the Fictional universe for humorous purposes.

Examples below:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... ?f=5&t=524
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... ?f=7&t=694

I can see how this can become a problem, especially when it comes to continuity, but Who Framed Roger Rabbit was one of, if not the best (and perhaps one of the only) "Shared Universe" movies in existence.
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

The problem with some cross-overs is that they just...happen. There isn't anything that causes them, like a rip in time or a dimentional shift, it just happens without explination. Take Mr Griffin's example, The House of Mouse just came about with no reasoning scientifically or magically, they all just shared the same planet (which is impossible concidering where and when some of their adventures are based).

The closest explination has is the game series Kingdom Hearts, the Disney characters once lived in different world's that because of all sorts of dramatic unquestionable events became one world, or at least lived in the same universe, menaing they were only seperated by space and not starnge Gummi items. Its easy to imagine Spider-Man having magical encounters if he somehow gets flung back in time to when Merlin was around, but not so much in todays time frame.

They can live in a shared universe, so long as why its shared is explained to an acceptable degree.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Unless you did the crossover and split with the consequences of it and then at the end just do the "oh it was all a dream thing" lol
Medli

Post by Medli »

That just gave me the thought of something, like, a meteorite, is seen in a comic, but simply flies by.
Then in the other comic, the meteorite seen in the first one crashes down or something.

Sorry, wasn´t really constructive, but I felt like writing this instant thought down^^
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Haru Totetsu wrote:They can live in a shared universe, so long as why its shared is explained to an acceptable degree.
They can, but the story told is going to be inherently different than if the stories were standalone. Not understanding this distinction is what causes most shared universes to buckle under their own weight.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I never thought it mattered with house of mouse. I just thought of that as one big "its just a spinoof don't think about it" Whic is a phrase i just made up
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

It's okay, guys.

Everyone's just pulling a DC and creating an entirely new dimension to house this new canon without messing with the canons of the other seventeen dimensions created to house the first seventeen versions of the characters.

GOSH DC annoys the fire out of me with that cop out.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Teh Brawler wrote:It's okay, guys.

Everyone's just pulling a DC and creating an entirely new dimension to house this new canon without messing with the canons of the other seventeen dimensions created to house the first seventeen versions of the characters.

GOSH DC annoys the fire out of me with that cop out.
I sure it's okay since I believe their name was optimal for their outcome. DC, as in disconnected ;) , surely messed up their universe when they mixed them up without proper explanation of how completely separate world of separate times, place (intergalaxial scale) cultures could mix so well together. Anytime they made a crossover, a kitten (actually like a whole species of cats, but is was off set by the paradoxial cats that appeared) died from the time-space rift they created.

This just goes to show how true that mathematics is the universal language, if just ratings alone can merge dimensions, just think of what hexadecimal democracy could do.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.