74%
No
26%

Total votes: 149

Anthroguy101

Re: POLL: So... Who here's a furry?

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Sleet wrote:
ctcmjh wrote:I think that this flash animation on Newgrounds.com does a fairly good job at describing what a furry is.
Wow, that's a pretty good overview. In a format more likely to be read than a plain text article.
Also it's outdated, since ToriBelliachi changed his identity to Alexander Gray and it's been 3 years since it was made.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Still, it does help.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Eeveon

Post by Eeveon »

Uh... yes...?

If by furry, you mean dressing up as an animal, then no. That's how I always thought of what 'being a furry' meant. I guess you could say I'm a 'supporter' of it...? I like fan art and web comics of it, that's basically about it.
Fan of: King, Fox, Miles, Peanut, Grape, Tarot, and Sasha! 8D
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Funny--on the face of it, dressing up sounds like fun (that's why Halloween's my favorite holiday) but when you think about what it would really entail.... Storing the costume, keeping it clean, making sure you can breathe in it and don't overheat or dehydrate, not to mention you never can predict how people (or animals) would react to someone dressed as some animal.... Doesn't necessarily sound like it's worth it. That's part of the reason I've never done it.
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Eeveon

Post by Eeveon »

People do things like that at Antrocons for fun. I've never been to one, but I just know... ;P

As well as doing other disturbing things that I shouldn't discuss about on a PG forum.
Fan of: King, Fox, Miles, Peanut, Grape, Tarot, and Sasha! 8D
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Eeveon wrote:People do things like that at Antrocons for fun. I've never been to one, but I just know... ;P

As well as doing other disturbing things that I shouldn't discuss about on a PG forum.
Yeah, let's leave it at that.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Eeveon wrote:People do things like that at Antrocons for fun. I've never been to one, but I just know... ;P

Quick nitpick here, but "Anthrocon" is only one particular convention; the generic term would be "furry conventions," or if you must use abbreviations, "furcons."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

I'm not a furry but found Housepets via WikiFur (basically Wikipedia dedicated to all things furry - hence the name). I was pretty curious as to what a furry was so I searched the Web and found a few thing which helped me form an image. From what I managed to find, it's a growing culture in a fair few countries now. I am not a furry because as much as I love anthromorphics (or whatever the term is), I'm not as hyped about them as the vast majority of furries. It's also a shame that they get so much bad press. If I ever became a furry, I'd only be in it for the art (clean art, thank you).

Over and out!
Harby

Post by Harby »

I should have said yes with a lot of the others but honestly im not a true furry, only my father was a furry. OH THE SHAME!
Memory is the key.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Harby wrote:Only my father was a furry. OH THE SHAME!
That is not shameful, I would actually consider you lucky. ;)
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
Harby wrote:Only my father was a furry. OH THE SHAME!
That is not shameful, I would actually consider you lucky. ;)
The one instance where parents would be understanding.

It's the reason why I hate people sometimes, opinions.
Harby

Post by Harby »

Huh? To me that made no sense what so ever.
Memory is the key.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm confused too.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I believe that he wishes he had your father, who is a furry. Most parents are not accepting of furries, to varying degrees. If a furry had a furry as a parent, then it would be easy to tell them.

Personal rant below:
I've been a furry for 5 years, and I haven't told my parents; My mother is very accepting, but my father for some reason has a prejudice against anybody who deviates from society. He dislikes: Cosplayers, goths, fursuiters, Elegant Gothic Lolita, Juggallos, LARPers in particular, but anybody who stands out gets weird looks from him. It's probably because he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, and preaches maturity, responsibility and wisdom. And the aforementioned groups don't exactly give off the impression of being mature, responsible or wise...
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Anthroguy101 wrote:
Sleet wrote:
ctcmjh wrote:I think that this flash animation on Newgrounds.com does a fairly good job at describing what a furry is.
Wow, that's a pretty good overview. In a format more likely to be read than a plain text article.
Also it's outdated, since ToriBelliachi changed his identity to Alexander Gray and it's been 3 years since it was made.
I'm sorry to interupt briefly, but... Tori Belliachi?? As in from Myth Busters???

(No one needs to answer my question, I just needed to say it)

Huh. I just realized that their names are slightely different in spelling. Never mind.
(But what are the odds, huh?!)
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Harby

Post by Harby »

Oh right, now i understand what you meant, thanks ctcmjh :D
Memory is the key.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ctcmjh wrote:I've been a furry for 5 years, and I haven't told my parents; My mother is very accepting, but my father for some reason has a prejudice against anybody who deviates from society. He dislikes: Cosplayers, goths, fursuiters, Elegant Gothic Lolita, Juggallos, LARPers in particular, but anybody who stands out gets weird looks from him. It's probably because he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, and preaches maturity, responsibility and wisdom. And the aforementioned groups don't exactly give off the impression of being mature, responsible or wise...
Well that's a shame about the furry thing, but I guess there are worse things in the world than parents who encourage maturity and responsibility, even if it is a very narrow definition thereof.

My parents don't know mainly because I don't really need them to know, but also because my mom very easily could have read an article or seen a TV show talking about what furries are and then trust it over me. I'd rather not risk it.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Sleet wrote:
ctcmjh wrote:I've been a furry for 5 years, and I haven't told my parents; My mother is very accepting, but my father for some reason has a prejudice against anybody who deviates from society. He dislikes: Cosplayers, goths, fursuiters, Elegant Gothic Lolita, Juggallos, LARPers in particular, but anybody who stands out gets weird looks from him. It's probably because he is a no-nonsense kind of guy, and preaches maturity, responsibility and wisdom. And the aforementioned groups don't exactly give off the impression of being mature, responsible or wise...
Well that's a shame about the furry thing, but I guess there are worse things in the world than parents who encourage maturity and responsibility, even if it is a very narrow definition thereof.

My parents don't know mainly because I don't really need them to know, but also because my mom very easily could have read an article or seen a TV show talking about what furries are and then trust it over me. I'd rather not risk it.
Ahhh FOX news, the bane of all logical discussion. I'm glad I don't have to argue with my parents anymore about online stalkers, and computer hackers among other things. I still feel I'm better off not telling anyone. I'm not gonna try super hard to keep it secret, but going around telling everyone that "I'm a furry" doesn't sound like the best way to be understood.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Alex

Post by Alex »

Wow, I'm sorry for you guys. My parents have no idea what a furry is, nor does anyone where I live.... So if I go around and tell everyone "I'm a furry", I'd get just confused faces >_>
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

zeekgenateer wrote:Ahhh FOX news, the bane of all logical discussion. I'm glad I don't have to argue with my parents anymore about online stalkers, and computer hackers among other things. I still feel I'm better off not telling anyone. I'm not gonna try super hard to keep it secret, but going around telling everyone that "I'm a furry" doesn't sound like the best way to be understood.
FOX News is hardly the only news source that does it. Actually, I don't even know of any events in particular of FOX covering anything about furries. But that's what my parents watch and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I only tell people I'm a furry if asked or whatever. There's no real need to bring it up.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Sleet wrote:
zeekgenateer wrote:Ahhh FOX news, the bane of all logical discussion. I'm glad I don't have to argue with my parents anymore about online stalkers, and computer hackers among other things. I still feel I'm better off not telling anyone. I'm not gonna try super hard to keep it secret, but going around telling everyone that "I'm a furry" doesn't sound like the best way to be understood.
FOX News is hardly the only news source that does it. Actually, I don't even know of any events in particular of FOX covering anything about furries. But that's what my parents watch and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I only tell people I'm a furry if asked or whatever. There's no real need to bring it up.
Yeah, my parents haven't seen any news stories about furries. But my dad does watch CSI, and my whole family watches the cartoons on Fox. So my dad might have seen the CSI episode about furries, and my whole family has seen the episode of American Dad that includes a furry convention (luckily, they didn't say anything during that segment.)

But I've also been doing the same thing you have: Only telling people I'm a furry if they ask, or start to talk about furries.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Anthroguy101 wrote:
Sleet wrote:
Not to step on somebodies toes, but does that mean the guy pretended to be a girl at one point?

Anyway, his depiction may be accurate, but what's for sure is that he strayed from his ideal of the "clean furry", because he's into vore, inflation and Furthia High now...

In my eyes the best thing the fandom could do is proactively counteracting its undesirables in order to prompt the public to disassociate the terms furry and sodomitical pervert.

Edit: Wow, reads rant-y in hindsight and borderline PG-inappropriate. >_>
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I don't like the fact that most people associate being a furry with perversion, event though most of them are clean.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I never really thought that being furry is considered that bad by some people. I mean, it's like a sexuality or something :\ But it's practically nothing, really....
Richarson Valley

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Alex wrote:I never really thought that being furry is considered that bad by some people. I mean, it's like a sexuality or something :\ But it's practically nothing, really....
you'd be surprised at how some people react to the fandom.
Alex

Post by Alex »

But it's just anthropomorphic animals! Mostly art, and yes, there's some unclean stuff, but.... why do people hate anthropomorphic animals, and people who like them? That's weird....
Richarson Valley

Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Alex wrote:But it's just anthropomorphic animals! Mostly art, and yes, there's some unclean stuff, but.... why do people hate anthropomorphic animals, and people who like them? That's weird....
Beacause people fear of what they do not understand.

D&D is a good example,
In the early days there wear people who thought it was a satanistic game and caused murders and death.(people wear crazy before the internet)
here is something we know little to nothing about called "furries",
it must be evil!
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

and stereotypes along with the people that shove it(assuming its unclean) in the faces of others.(which ive seen happen, especially on facepunch)
that malak guy would be a good example
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Okay, a little late here but...

If I lied to Mother and Farther about being a furry... I'd get a very simliar responce to my friends at school.

"what's a furry?"
Liam

Post by Liam »

Alex wrote:there's some unclean stuff
The worst of it probably spawned some objectors who informed the public, thus establishing a negative view of the overall fandom.

Every group in human history has been judged by its worst elements. One way to combat this is disassociating oneself from said elements, so the others do it, too.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Alex wrote:But it's just anthropomorphic animals! Mostly art, and yes, there's some unclean stuff, but.... why do people hate anthropomorphic animals, and people who like them? That's weird....
Because they don't realize that's all there is to it. They assume every furry likes anthropomorphic animals with lots of italics, quotation marks and wink-wink-nudge-nudges around the "like." And that is pretty darn weird. And it's always the negative things that people remember. If someone sees something like some guy's Sly Cooper fan art on Deviant Art briefly, they'll probably think nothing of it, even if it's done by a furry and the person's entire gallery is furry. But if this person sees one picture of... You get the idea... Then that will pretty much stay with them for a long time, and that's what they'll think of when you say "furry." The furry fandom is not really a big deal to most people, so very few people will feel like it's a good use of effort to make sure they have every fact straight when it comes to a fandom that they don't care about, especially if their disturbing first impression makes them not want to know more.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Exactly, whenever the media talks about furry fandom, it's focused mainly on the negatives (stuff that's NSFW), whereas anyone who is in the fandom or has done any real research about it can say that it's not just about that.

Unfortunately, people aren't swayed so easily.
LucidDarkness

Post by LucidDarkness »

I kind of straddle the line between furry and not. I like some artwork, but there is other art that I find just plain stupid. I don't really see the joy in fursuiting (it looks awful hot in those costumes), but I don't care that other people do it. My brother is a VERY active member of the fur-society. Fur-suiting (when he can), many conventions, and is actually a rather well-respected furry artist.

I don't know.. I have a difficult time identifying with any group. I can appreciate the furry fandom, but it's not something I'd emerse myself in. I have a few furry tendencies, but over-all, I'd say no.

Though I am supportive! :3
Leopold O'Malley - Yorkshire Feilds
Str 6 | Per 2 | End 6 | Cha 5 | Int 9 | Agl 7 | Luk 8

Louis "Lucid" O'Malley - VerdeGrove
Str 8 | Per 5 | End 7 | Cha 5 | Int 4 | Agl 8 | Luk 5
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

LucidDarkness wrote:I kind of straddle the line between furry and not. I like some artwork, but there is other art that I find just plain stupid. I don't really see the joy in fursuiting (it looks awful hot in those costumes), but I don't care that other people do it. My brother is a VERY active member of the fur-society. Fur-suiting (when he can), many conventions, and is actually a rather well-respected furry artist.

I don't know.. I have a difficult time identifying with any group. I can appreciate the furry fandom, but it's not something I'd emerse myself in. I have a few furry tendencies, but over-all, I'd say no.

Though I am supportive! :3
Actually, this describes me very well too.
LucidDarkness

Post by LucidDarkness »

Dubiousity wrote:Actually, this describes me very well too.
Yay for straddling? Lol

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

LucidDarkness wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:Actually, this describes me very well too.
Yay for straddling? Lol
I prefer to call it borderline.
LucidDarkness

Post by LucidDarkness »

Dubiousity wrote:I prefer to call it borderline.
That does make it sound much less perverse... Thanks. :3

Liam

Post by Liam »

How about calling it "being a Daywalker"?

Bad***, huh?
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Uh, let's see. Given some of the reactions, I went and made it so that you can re-vote on the poll. Kinda late, but better than never!

And remember: avoid anything that would break any rules.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Alex

Post by Alex »

I see no difference even after the revoting. Although it was necessary, a lot of people were probably wrong about the definition of being furry when voting the first time.
Richarson Valley