17th Century Fox - OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Argent

Re: 17th Century Fox - OOC

Post by Argent »

I guessed Captain Flint but Wikipedia claims his semi-canonical first name was Joseph.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Where did you get that from, Argent?
It says John here
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Argent

Post by Argent »

Wikipedia's page on the character:
In Stevenson's book, Flint, whose first name is not given, was the captain of a pirate ship, The Walrus, which accumulated an enormous amount of captured treasure, approximately £700,000.

[...]

John Drake's prequels: Flint and Silver (2008), Pieces of Eight (2009) and Skull and Bones (2010), all heavily feature Captain Flint and reveal his Christian name to be Joseph.
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Flint
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah, thanks. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Apparently there's a TV show "Black Sails" that's supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island, and it's got his first name as "James".

The other problem is that he dies in 1754, and it's 1625 now. :) Treasure Island is set in a British-dominated Caribbean.
Last edited by Argent on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh well. He's just an NPC in this RP anyway. Palgrave still doesn't quite trust James.
I admit I was thinking of using Jim Hakwins at first but I didn't want confusion with Jim and James.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sorry for the delay folks, but at long last here's Pepito's character sheet. He's now officially a main character. :)
Name: Pepito

Neighbourhood: 17CF

Species:
Brown Rat

Appearance: Pepito is tiny for a rat. He was obviously the runt of his litter and even full grown the top of his head barely reaches Tackle’s shoulder. Aside from his size, he too has the typical appearance of a brown rat except for a slight semicircular notch on the top of his left ear courtesy of an uncomfortably close encounter with a cat.

Personality/back story: Pepito is one lucky rat. Born in a colony on a Spanish ship, everyone thought he was going to die as he was born so small. He managed to pull through although he was never as strong or as big as his siblings, or indeed, as anyone else in the colony. He quickly found himself at the bottom of the hierarchy due to his size. However, it didn’t take him long to work out how to use his size to his advantage. Being so light he’s incredibly fast and being so small he can easily remain innocuous and undetected. Despite being uninvolved in the bulk of the rats’ food raids, Pepito found from a young age that he was easily able to feed himself from better food than the other rats since he could reach places in the captain’s quarters and in the galley that no other rat could without being seen. He grew up well fed but lonely, shunned as he was by the other rats partly due to his size and partly due to their jealously. Unfortunately for the colony, but fortunately for Pepito, their ship was wrecked during a storm. Most of the colony went down with the ship, unable to escape in time due to the rapidity of the ship’s foundering. Thanks to Pepito’s speed though, he was able to cling to a bit of driftwood until during that same storm he was thrown by a wave onto the deck of the Impudence. Seizing the opportunity, Pepito scrambled below decks where he was confronted by Tackle. Fortunately Tackle spoke enough Spanish that the two could understand each other, although he was a bit rusty. The two became fast friends and Tackle began to think of Pepito as a kind of student, teaching him English and staff fighting among a few other skills. Soon Pepito was accepted into the Bilgerats where, with Tackle’s help, he finally found a home.

Pepito is superstitious, as many sailors are, although he’s not entirely sure which superstitions he should follow so he uses a bit of all of the superstitious he knows, just in case. He believes in luck and given his upbringing he has good reason to. This sometimes earns him odd looks from the other rats, Tackle included, but Pepito doesn’t mind, especially since, although he won’t admit it, Tackle shares a few of Pepito’s beliefs.

Other notes: Having spent his entire life at sea, Pepito suffers from Mal de Debarquement, a condition which means that his inner ear is unable to adapt to the lack of motion when he's on solid ground. This means he can't gain his balance and he suffers from a headache, ringing in the ears and a sick stomach and he struggles to stand or walk.

Stats: S3, P5, E6, C5, I7, A8, L8
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

Perhaps an ancestor of the infamous captain.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Infamous captain?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

jack sparrow????
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hlaoroo wrote:Infamous captain?
Flint.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh, I see.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Argent

Post by Argent »

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Can I haz a recap?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

We've started a new day in the port of Castillo Pato. Tackle and Pepito are rather hung over from last night's festivities so they along with everyone else are heading into town to find water. The Captain is on his way to see Juan Acosta, unaware that he's being followed by a spy, and he's sent Blacks and James and a pair of NTCs to go recruiting some new crew. Aurora and her owner are hopefully about to be enlisted.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Looking back at Rhyme's ref sheet I haven't been playing her too accurately. So I'm gonna dial down on her... Brashness/snark a bit >w<
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sometimes people change, Roarin. If you want to update her character sheet to better reflect how she's turned out you're welcome to do that too. It's up to you. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yes yes , Hlaoroo is right
oh and , if anyone wanna play some random town people to cause some conflict due to Rocea's mischief in the past , feel free to do so :P
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

the fox in the 17CF tavern is a female if I remember correctly , yes ?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yes, she's a she and he name is Isabella.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

alright , thank you , so anyone's gonna play her ?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

That'll be me. Let me know if there's anything in particular you want done with her.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Because I'm a gigantic history nerd, so why not~

Name: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Current Alias: "Rodrigo Gaspares" / Roderick 'Rory' Casper
Type: Main Character
Color: Sky Blue - #4080DF

Species: Dog, Scottish terrier
Birthday: December 1st, 1613 [December 11th, 1613 N.S.]
Birthplace: Banffshire, Scotland
Neighborhood: 17th Century Fox

Description: Though he'd grumble and say he's above average for his breed, that still leaves him fairly short in stature. He's got a thick, silvery grey coat, dark brown eyes and whiskers that make him look like he has a permanently disapproving mustache. Has a tendency to wear a red kerchief around his neck as well as a lightweight blue corduroy vest that might otherwise fit a child - mostly because he likes to have pockets to shove things into. Unsurprisingly, he speaks with a Scottish brogue. "And I'll 'nock ye upside yer 'ed if ye feel like laffin' at it, laddie."

Personality: Age has mellowed Alasdair quite a bit. He may have once been an energetic pup, but now-a-days, he's much more content to sit back and relax at any given opportunity. When given a task, he has a tendency to find the method that requires the least amount of effort without being downright sloppy with it. Every now and again, though, he finds the enthusiasm that was once commonplace in his younger years. Around others, Alec isn't talkative, but when he speaks, he has a tendency to be blunt and straightforward, even if it's not exactly the most courteous thing to say. Even his humor tends to be of the snarky, sarcastic type. He's just not one to mince words. That said, he's honest to a fault (save, perhaps, for boasting and exaggerating about life in Scotland), and when he likes someone, he's steadfastly loyal to them. He may seem hard to make friends with, but once you do, he'll always have your back. Even if he does think you're a bit of a daft fool (see: Mauritz, his erstwhile 'owner').

Background: If you asked him, he'd tell you he couldn't remember of a time before Malcolm. He'd been a Christmas gift to the young lad when he was just a wee pup. Malcolm's father Duncan had named him Alasdair, but 'Alec' was the nickname the boy gave him that stuck. As the pair grew up, the two were nigh inseparable, and many a fond memory remains for him from those days. But youth doesn't last forever. And young boys become young men. Young, impetuous men. Word began to spread through the realm of James VI and I that on the continent, a revolt against the Catholic Holy Roman Emperor had begun. Though the crown had not yet, and would not yet intervene in the war officially, they nevertheless 'encouraged' the recruitment of men to aid in the war effort. Like many good Protestant men of the British Isles, Malcolm Ogilvy found himself volunteering to go to the aid of the Protestant prince contesting the crown of Bohemia, Frederick of the Palatinate - James' son-in-law. Alec, his ever-loyal hound, was quick to follow, promising Duncan that he would keep his son safe.

The pair, along with a host of other Scots and Englishmen landed in the Netherlands, where a long truce between the Dutch and the Spaniards was nearing its conclusion, and the Dutch were consequently likewise inclined to support the Protesant rebels against their Hapsburg enemies. And so, under Sir Horace Vere of England, a British-Dutch force marched into Germany hoping to aid the Protestant cause. But the war went ill for their allies in Bohemia, and the British and Dutch forces were soon relegated to try and defend Frederick's patrimony in the Rhineland. Though the Catholic retaliation of the Spanish and the Austrian Holy Roman Emperor would be slow-coming, it came inexorably, with tremendous force. Malcolm and Alec would be stationed among the troops defending the castle in the town of Heidelberg, in the heart of the Palatinate.

The siege was a long and gruesome affair, as sieges so often are. But despite the hardship, the duo tried to persevere, until that one fateful day. It had been about a week into the siege, and Malcolm, on duty as a watchmen, had asked Alec to deliver a message to another area of the castle. But when he returned, Malcolm, the young Scotsman he had grown up with, had spent his entire life with... lay dead, his post struck by stray cannon fire from the besiegers. Alec was left despondent after this, and fell into a deep depression. By the time the siege ended, shortly thereafter, he didn't much care what would happen to him, were it not for a Dutchman by the name of Mauritz van der Laar. For reasons known only to the man himself, Mauritz took care of the emotionally traumatized dog, being at his side throughout the Scottie's darkest hour, and managing to secret both himself and the hound away from the doomed citadel. Slowly but surely the pair made their way back to the Netherlands, with Alec opening up, bit by bit, to the kind Dutchman. By the time they arrived back in the country of Mauritz's birth, the enterprising van der Laar proposed the following - for the both of them to leave the increasingly war-torn land and to travel to the Dutch colonies in the New World, to make their own fortunes. Alec, who felt obliged and in debt to Mauritz, accepted - helped by his incredibly mixed feelings on returning home to the father he'd failed to fulfill a promise to. Perhaps it better to think they both perished by each other than to come back in shame and failure. With nowhere else to go, a new start seemed a welcome opportunity.

After a long voyage across the Atlantic, the pair briefly settled on the coast off the Hudson, until adventure and opportunity... and perhaps a bit of patriotism, given he'd left his country at war, convinced Mauritz to take up the life of a privateer. With no desire to be left behind, Alec followed him into the Caribbean - though in the constant heat, he perhaps wishes he hadn't. Things, however, have not gone as planned since their arrival. Still, despite the duo's seemingly endless bad luck, they both seem to have a knack at staying alive, and as they approach Castillo Pato - for the time hiding under false names, being stranded on the hostile Spanish Main - who knows what other fortunes or misfortunes await?

Stats: S - 6, P - 5, E - 9, C - 7, I - 7, A - 4, L - 4

-----

Name: Mauritz van der Laar
Current Alias: "Miguel Francisco Gaspares"
Type: Minor Character (Human)
Color: Orange - #AF8020

Birthday: August 12th, 1596 [August 22nd, 1596 N.S.]
Birthplace: Tholen, Zeeland, United Provinces of the Netherlands

Personality: Mauritz has a tendency to be a bit bumbling, and might not be the sharpest tool in shed. He has a tendency to think of grandiose schemes to get himself forward in life, only for them to be unraveled by some minor (and usually simple) detail that he overlooked. Despite all this, he has a very kind heart - and that's what has won him Alec's loyalty. Perhaps too kind a heart, considering at the moment he's trying to be a privateer. And failing. Rather miserably, actually. Having had his latest adventure go awry and winding up stuck on a small ship stranded outside Castillo Pato, he's currently pretending to be a down-on-his-luck merchant from the Spanish Netherlands. With a dog serving as an English translator - though he himself actually speaks English just fine, why else would a Spaniard have a Scottish dog? The fact that this is not the first time he's taken this guise should give you an indication of his luck since trying to make his way in the New World. Regardless, Alec - er, Rory - has stuck around with him through his misfortunes, continuing to play along.
Last edited by CosmicCoyote on Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Looks great! Should be an interesting character.

One question though. How are they going to get to the Impudence if they're stranded outside Castillo Pato?

Edit: My bad. I need to learn to read properly. Well, I have no objections.

Welcome to 17CF, CC!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hotep the psychic

be sure that the characters meet with blacks, james ,flint, and ben? to get tehre jobs for the impudence in between the market and the harbor
ImageImageImage
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Are there any spots open?
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I'm pretty sure we have open slots yes :)
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes! Can I make a character?
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Serence is right. We do indeed have room for more and you are welcome to make a character! :D
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Name: Cap’n
Character Type: Main
Species: European Otter
Color: This

Appearance:
Dark brown fur and light brown markings on his biceps. He carries around a cutlass for his size and keeps it hidden in a sheath. His eyes are an icy blue and he wears a blue bandana around his neck of the same color. His muscles are slightly visible through his fur. Underneath the length on the bandana is a scar that goes from the base of his neck to about the middle of his chest.

Personality:
Cap’n isn’t rude, more so aloof and cool-headed. He has a tendency to speak his mind even if it is offensive, seeing how he thinks people should know the truth about themselves. He is serious about the work and tasks he is given and can alternate between three at the most. Any more and he starts getting a tad scatterbrained. Though his appearance sets people off, those who befriend Cap’n have a loyal friend for life. He protects the ones he cares about while jump headfirst into danger to save them, which is something that he’s already done.

History:
Cap’n used to live by himself in the wild. He was peaceful, fishing and enjoying his serenity. It wasn’t until a scream far off in the distance awoke him from his afternoon nap. He heard the scream again, but he could hear a cry for help as well. He shot himself down the river and listened as the screaming got closer. When he could hear it the clearest, Cap’n jumped out of the water and looked around. A young seagull came staggering out, jewels around his neck and his wing bent up. The seagull hid behind Cap’n as pirates came out after him. After not backing down when he was told to, the men and Cap’n began to battle. One got a good hit on him and just when he was a goner, the bird decided to help out. The bird walked forward and returned the gems, but of course, the pirates weren't happy about being stolen from. The moment the captain raised his sword to strike the bird down, the seagull propelled himself backwards with his one good wing and shoved Cap'n into the river as quickly as he could. With what little strength had, Cap'n swam them down stream and out of the sight of the men. When the current got lighter, the seagull helped Cap'n onto a bank and stayed with him, making sure his new neck-to-chest wound would heal up without too much damage. Cap’n, who somehow made it another day and on, promised to protect the little seagull no matter what. After nomading around, Cap’n and the seagull came across the Impudence and became part of the crew, with the help of their owner colleague, Johnathan, of course.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.:
S: 7
P: 6
E: 6
C: 3
I: 7
A: 8
L: 5

Name: Matey
Character Type: Main
Species: Seagull
Color: This

Appearance:
The standard feather and beak pattern for seagulls. He wears a bag and strap around his waist full of pillaged things. I mean come on, nobody suspects a cute little bird right? He has green eyes and pink legs.

Personality:
Matey is a childish little birdie, loving to pull pranks and make friends. He will land on your head and jump out of the wall if you try to swat at him. He loves making mischief for the human crew, but it’s all in good fun. If he does go overboard, he’ll apologize and apologize until he thinks it’s enough. Though he is a mischievous, thieving, trouble-maker, Matey takes his job seriously, especially when it comes to stealing something.

History:
Today wasn’t Matey’s day. He had recently stolen from a pirate ship and instead of getting out in time like he planned, he got caught and his wing got bent trying to escape. He screamed into the distance, shouting for help. He could hear the pirates chasing him and he knew he wouldn’t survive one foot. He saw an otter looking around and he came staggering out, jewels around his neck, his wing bent up, and looking over all pitiful. He hid behind the otter as pirates came out after him. After not backing down when he was told to, the men and the otter began to battle. One got a good hit on him and just when Matey though the otter was a goner, he saw his chance to help out. Matey walked forward and returned the gems, but of course, the pirates weren't happy about being stolen from. The moment the captain raised his sword to strike him down, Matey propelled himself backwards as far as he could with his one good wing and shoved the otter into the river as quickly as he could. With what little strength had, the otter swam them down stream and out of the sight of the men. When the current got lighter, Matey helped the otter onto a bank and stayed with him, making sure his new neck-to-chest wound would heal up without too much damage. The otter, who somehow made it another day and on, promised to protect the Matey no matter what. After nomading around, the otter and Matey came across the Impudence and became part of the crew, with the help of their owner colleague, Johnathan, of course.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.:
S: 5
P: 7
E: 6
C: 7
I: 6
A: 5
L: 6
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My characters!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Interesting character sheets. Three things though.

1.) Birds in this RP, like in Housepets, have no hands. They're just normal birds that can talk. So Matey won't be able to sew Cap'n up. I can tell you from experience that stitching flesh together is a two-paw exercise.

2.) I really can't see the pirates just backing down like that. They'll kill them instead of just walking off and leaving the gems behind and besides, gems sink so they wouldn't wash away so that would be an idle threat anyway.

3.) Pets aren't considered the equals of humans in this world. So Cap'n isn't likely to get a job on the ship without a human.

Could you fix those up please? Cheers. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Is that better?
My characters!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Much better, thanks.

I'll approve that now. :)
Two more questions though. Are we playing it such that your characters have already been on the ship from the start or are they joining in Castillo Pato? And what role with Jonathan have on the ship and how did Cap'n and Matey fall in with him?
Actually, that's three questions, sorry.
Oh well. You're approved regardless of your answer to them. :)

Welcome to 17CF!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Playing as if they have already been on the ship and Johnathon works as a Cabin Boy. Because of this and how pets aren't treated equal, Cap'n and Matey's fighting and skill in thievery is usually undermined.

Question, what's going on IC?
My characters!
Hotep the psychic

im gonna poke this thread to wake up everyone to post a reply to the last few posts, roo? hyper? anyone?
ImageImageImage
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I actually am waiting for something to happen in the tavern , my character , Roo's rats , and Roarin's cat already got there , sooo :P
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Hey, Serence, can I start at the tavern?
My characters!
Hotep the psychic

feel free to start where you please mickey im waiting for Roo to make a post to continue the side story line and have blacks and my characters do something
ImageImageImage
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

yeah I think starting at the tavern is fine too :)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Mickey wrote:Question, what's going on IC?
Well, a day or two we had a sea battle which beat the ship up pretty badly so it's currently berthed in Castillo Pato for repairs and the crew have a few days to explore the town while they're not busy fixing the ship. They're also currently recruiting more men to crew the ship.
Serence is taking my rats and Rhyme to meet Isabella, the leader of the town's animals, while Captain Palgrave is going to meet an old friend and partner of his.
Hotep the psychic wrote:im gonna poke this thread to wake up everyone to post a reply to the last few posts, roo? hyper? anyone?
Sorry about that. THings have been pretty hectic here lately. I'm on it!
Mickey wrote:Hey, Serence, can I start at the tavern?
You may. :) I'm the GM though and Hotep is the back-up GM, just so you know. Serence is just very efficient and very handy to have around. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters