Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Post by D-Rock »

...dang it, I try to keep it a point to remember as many details of the things I like as possible. That one eludes me, though. Going to do some searching.

But anyway, casting my vote for space. That should not be hard to justify.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The floating platform area was of course based on the galactic void where the Celestials were playing. I believe these sort of areas should be recurring through out the game.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

GreatKitsune wrote:The Grove, Space, and the outside of Limerick Guy's hut.
I'm pretty sure The Grove would count as the area outside the temple or "Deeper Into The Forest" :)
Space?
GreatKitsune wrote:The giant floating platform under the cave was in space.
Under which cave now?
SuperStar wrote:The floating platform area was of course based on the galactic void where the Celestials were playing. I believe these sort of areas should be recurring through out the game.
Oh, yeah I did forget that. Yeah, I'd consider that more of a void than space, despite it looking like space. :P
As for the Limerick Guy's Hut, I'd imagine that being a side thing or an easteregg of sorts. But yes, an area none the less, thank you for reminding me.
ImageImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Speaking of Limerick Guy, did you find any good limericks to use with him? I could maybe write some if I knew some context.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Speaking of Limerick Guy, did you find any good limericks to use with him? I could maybe write some if I knew some context.
We could always ask Welsh Halfwit. :lol:
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Archaic Cluster

Post by Archaic Cluster »

Hmm. Maybe if there was something for the abandoned mansion place that Maxwell, Grape, Zach, and Marvin stayed in? Could be where the Bigglesworths hang out, screwing with people who didn't know there was more than one or ten.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Spookmaster sidequest. :3

I think he should be in charge of a sidequest that involves scaring people for fun after every chapter with a prize. A bonus prize for beating them all.

Since the Bigglesworths were mentioned, in a RPG settings I would think a neat thing to do is have them along with most of the other cats (Jasper, Fiddler and Keys) mostly serve as the casual hangouts, but also have a place to mingle with them. Like Maxwell's backyard =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

What if the Bigglesworths are part of a sidequest? What if the got split up, and you need to find all 12 of them, and they are spread all around the world. Videogame logic, we don't need to explain.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I had thought of a hide-and-seek styled game for them, but that seems too easy. X3

If you want to try for a hide-and-seek game for them, that's fine. They could be just trying to get the player to figure out how one guy could be everywhere. Of course, the twist here is non-readers will find out s/he's multiple cats. :3
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Kingdom Hearts had a "search" thing with the Dalmatian puppies. Finding certain amounts would grant you rewards. How about for every three Bigglesworths' found, you get some sort of reward.

And I like making the old house as a sidequest. What should it be, though.

And we should definitely ask Welsh to provide lines for Limerick guy, but I'm sure we'd need context for that.

By the way, I think I'll resume weapon designs next week. Vacation is over, so I'm back to my regular schedule. And before anyone asks why I ended up not doing anything strenuous regarding designs during the break, I honestly didn't feel like doing work when I had a chance to relax. Not counting the few designs I ended up making on my DA page, those were for the heck of it and to get ideas that wouldn't be in the game out faster.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

GameCobra wrote:I had thought of a hide-and-seek styled game for them, but that seems too easy. X3

If you want to try for a hide-and-seek game for them, that's fine. They could be just trying to get the player to figure out how one guy could be everywhere. Of course, the twist here is non-readers will find out s/he's multiple cats. :3
You mean something like the hide-and-seek side quest in South Park: The Stick of Truth?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yes. =3

Just gotta figure out what the prize is.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

GameCobra wrote:Yes. =3

Just gotta figure out what the prize is.
How about one of the Bigglesworths joining your party?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe some rare power up or something?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

If we go recruitable, what do you suggest for weapon style?

Well, KH had rare items and parts for your ship when you rescue the Dalmatian puppies (don't ask how two dogs can get access to that kind of stuff). Equippables with certain effects were brought up some time ago, we could assign some as rewards.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that would work really well.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I don't think making them recruitable is a good idea honestly. I'd rather we go with the rare items idea.
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I found one!

The Bigglesworth's collar.

Equip it and your character strangely becomes a Bigglesworth, with the tagline: "With all your powers combined, I AM CAPTAIN BIGGLESWORTH!"

All your stats go up by one with the collar on for every Bigglesworth you find.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

:o
That's actually possible to do, I believe.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm sure you can.

We just gotta figure out how X3

It involves giving the collar when equipped replacing the current person's sprite animations with Mr. Bigglesworth's.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would there be any limits on it, like only one character can have it on them at a time?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Well, unless we want everyone to walk around with a Mr. Bigglesworth collar on just for fun, we could do it. Would be very funny =3

can't see any limits on it. by the time everyone gets the collar I assume there will be a lot more powerful collars out.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That sounds like a fun idea with the Bigglesworth collar. I remember seeing in FF 3/6 you could get a Moogle armor piece and it would change your sprite to that of a Moogle. Though it was hard to find more than one, and even then, it could only be worn by two party members. It was pretty good for when you got it, but it did get outclassed by endgame armor. But if it gets stronger, sounds like it could be pretty good.
Archaic Cluster

Post by Archaic Cluster »

Or what if it were a 'collect them all' type of thing?

In a room near the main hub, there would be all of the Bigglesworth cats that you'd found so far. Finding them all might unlock a statue or something, but for other than bragging rights, it doesn't do anything.

...wait. Is the Kitsune Statue a thing yet?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Collecting all the bigglesworths would upgrade the collar to full power as a benefit. However, we could add a secret quest afterwards that players aren't aware of that could double the power of the collar and actually be very useful for the final boss. Giving a collar with universal benefits is the tease, but at full power it could give much larger universal stat bonuses.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Mr. Bigglesworth, savior of the worlds! :lol:

As for the Kitsune Statue, I'm sure if King's room gets designed, that'll appear if it can be made, though likely simply as something that can be interacted with.

Couple questions now; is it possible for an item to grant a completely new move set? Maybe we could apply a unique set of moves for the Bigglesworth collar if possible.

Also, another idea about joke weapons. While they're weak, how about they ignore the opponents defense, as they would probably let their guard down when they see the weapon.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I like the idea of the bigglesworth collar thing, though having it be useful for the final boss would mean that the player would pretty much always see the end cutscene with everyone as bigglesworth because it will work best on the boss. While it would be funny, I feel like beating the game as bigglesworth should be a bit of a challenge.
Archaic Cluster wrote:...wait. Is the Kitsune Statue a thing yet?
Well, the Kitsune statue is technically just Kitsune. Having it as an unlockable item rather than a character may be a bit odd :)
D-Rock wrote:Couple questions now; is it possible for an item to grant a completely new move set? Maybe we could apply a unique set of moves for the Bigglesworth collar if possible.
I believe it can give you a move or multiple moves when equipping an item, but not change the entire moveset.
ImageImageImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

D-Rock wrote:Mr. Bigglesworth, savior of the worlds! :lol:
I think that would be something everyone would love as a twist. =P

same dialogue and all - just bigglesworth doing it all.

And yes, collars can do that. It's something I mentioned way back. the problem i'm having is figuring out how to remove the moves when the collar is removed. I'm actually trying to come up with an idea to have Pete's feather give Grape a Fire/Ice/Lightning attack with it equipped and Peanut with a water attack, but I can't remove them somehow. EDIT: Actually, I found out. Yay!
Last edited by GameCobra on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, so how about the collar is potentially really strong, but not a game-breaker? I kind of think that there should only be one, though.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

As far as game-breaking goes, I'm having to make sure no items will break over 500 of a certain stat, so no worries there. Since some moves can be doubled, tripled or even quadrupled based on a certain stat, I don't want to see the damage output of a single attack go over 3000. If it does, it'll be because of a move like the one I have planned for Bailey and Fox where they will use a lot of their TP to make one giant blow. As for spells, the spells will average around 2000-3000 damage end-game, but will be taxed for MP since they can use them freely.

If you want game-breakers in the game, then I think that's where the celestial gods come into play. =P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

D-Rock wrote:Alright, so how about the collar is potentially really strong, but not a game-breaker? I kind of think that there should only be one, though.
That actually sounds like its a bit better and I was only worried about the collar because it seemed a bit overpowered.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

No worries about anything being gamebreaking. i'm testing these things before the final game goes out.

As it goes now, i'm just using the time making all the skillsets for the cast, but playtesting them to make sure they aren't overpowered. =P
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That's good. Game-breaking things could be fun in some circumstances, but I don't think they would here.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

At least until you grab Celestial gear, at least. But even then, it's not like the bosses will be one-shotted or the armor will make you invincible :3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just reduce the damage somewhat?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If they become too powerful, yes. Like i said, i'm trying to maintain a certain realm of damage.

I haven't beaten The Last Dream yet, but i decided to take a break from it now to get all of these fun ideas out of the bag for the characters. finished Fido, Fox and Sabrina now and did some fun balancing. moving onto King and Bailey next. I gotta fix Fox's battle animations later.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Still waiting on headphones. Considering they were shipped to Berlin, I'm assuming I won't see them for a while.

Also, I asked a friend to join this project, and he seemed interested, so we may have some more help. He could take over sprite art, help with writing, or help me with sound, or anything else he does that I don't know about. And he knows a bit of C++, I think, but I'm not sure if he has VX Ace.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, I don't think he needs VXAce. Sounds like a good idea, does he have any work behind him to show as a sort of display?
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

I'm not gone.

I'm just not here xD

I started my college classes today.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

SuperStar wrote:Well, I don't think he needs VXAce. Sounds like a good idea, does he have any work behind him to show as a sort of display?
I'm sure he does, but I'll let him handle that on his own.
Hello, low order beings!