OOC: Radients Vineyard.

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Civilization

Re: OOC: Radients Vineyard.

Post by Civilization »

Well, you all revealed your powers so soon and use them often, so Rig wasn't being different, just got to be more careful in large groups, at least a little realism eh, hehe...
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Kaylee only just has control over her abilities. Rig's abilities are helping and Amanda can help her control it too.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Deske

Post by Deske »

Civilization wrote:Well, you all revealed your powers so soon and use them often, so Rig wasn't being different, just got to be more careful in large groups, at least a little realism eh, hehe...
In the group, I was practically told that it was a bad idea to use them around anyone else, but that's beside the point.

What I mean is, lining everyone up so far and all of them except for Retlaw and Rig look pretty normal at a glance. Though, now that I think about it, Retlaw is more out of place than Rig. I mean, lots of people get tattoos of runic messages on their arms and he could just be "An immigrant from some Scandinavian country."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

a tough person with tattoos isn't really an odd combination, and the eye patch and scar you've alluded to before definitely say 'tough'.

Ret and Yess... yeah, part of the reason i like to forget what they look like...

I mean if this place didn't have the whole implied masquerade, I might have added a Nimbat as a secondary. But a two foot tall flying cat-rodent kinda sticks out...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Rig is definitely that tough guy who only gets mad when you mess with his friends or family /s

I didn't make him to really be that tough guy. I don't remember if he had a scar or if I decided against it. I do know that what I meant to insinuate was that, like Odin, he gave part of his sight for power. Magic isn't free. :P Otherwise, I didn't really think of him as being the tough guy, then I realized he's both the biggest and the most muscley one of the bunch so far. Oh well, I think he and his powers would make a good protector if the time came.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yensid and Retlaw own colored contacts that change the look of their eyes. They didn't bring them with them. Retlaw has a story for his appearance that has worked nearly 97% of the time. They have also been working on a spell to fix change their eyes back to normal, cause they dislike it themselves. That was what they were working on in my very first post, I think. Anyway!

Retlaw's story is that he's simply an idea that came to life. He's a robot programmed to carry conversation and do the tasks he's assigned. He free and no-jerky movement is do to advanced servos and A.I. His fur is synthetic and his response to pain is to only appear as a normal animal. Yensid is the animal he was assigned to. Retlaw is supposed to observe and then act like him to learn how to be an animal.

How this has worked that much is beyond my knowledge. And I'm the one that wrote it.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I forgot to mention the Kama's sclerae (the white parts of his eyes) turn black when he's angry due to a potion from Horus' shop. He's also extremely protective of his creations.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Vinny thinks Kama may be possessed .3.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Well in a town populated by magical creatures would it really be so surprising?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

...Now i'm tempted to make Bonnie a permanent character just so she can mess with big Sandy...
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Bonnie... What a beautiful name! It means beautiful in Scottish, you know! Ahhhh.... Bonnie..."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Bonnie and Sandy. Lemme see... Bondy?

Sannie?

Well if you take enough letters you get Sandie and Bonny, which sounds exactly the same as their names.

Bwah! All the ship names are cute!
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
Deske

Post by Deske »

Oh please do. It'll be adorable.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I can't even imagine what Vinny would do if he ever met Bonnie.
Side note! I was originally going to name Vinny Clyde, but realized he didn't have a Bonnie to join him xD
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Name: Bonnie
Species: Dog, Dalmation

Home: Heated doghouse behind the department's garage. (Has electricity and heat, but no water, she has to go inside for that.)
Owner: Legally, the entire fire department. Though the only one she refers to as 'dad' is the chief. She's taken to referring to several of the others as 'uncle' or 'aunt'. Though she gets along with Mike better than some.

Appearance:
Both ears are solid black and her eyes are dark brown. beyond that she's your typical dalmatian. She's in relatively good shape due to her line of work, though slightly smaller than normal for her breed; she's no runt but it is still noticeable. It actually works to her advantage though, since less mass means less body heat. Handy when battling a blaze. She's also meticulous about keeping her coat clean and well groomed.

History:
Originally bought from a breeder by a father of three after giving into his children's non-stop demands for a puppy following seeing a certain Disney movie, none of them were prepared for the amount of work needed to train her and keep her happy. Add to that her being completely nonverbal in her communication at first due to being unable to hear, and it was quickly assumed she was just stupid. While her (human) sister Samantha, the eldest of the children, was aware she could write, and had no difficulty communicating with her that way, Dotty had grown rather timid by that point and would freeze up around their father. As a result the two of them were unable to convince the rest of the family that she was in fact rather bright, and the mistreatment continued.

Reading numerous stories about magic, Dotty became convinced that was her answer and convinced her sister to help her run away. Leaving her collar and belongings behind, she set out. It would be years before she returned home, finally able to speak and hear, when she arrived though, only Sam recognized her. Worse, they still had her old collar, but it was around the neck of a new dog... So she ran again.

Alone, she at first cursed the powers she had spent so long earning, for what they had cost her, wandering randomly, until she met Michael. Without meaning to, she got him talking about his line of work, and listening to his stories, realized that this 'fire station' would be a place she could fit in. Where she wouldn't be mistaken for stupid because of a puppyhood weakness, and her ability to enhance the senses and skills of herself and those around her would never work against her.

She still keeps in touch by letter with Sam, But has given up her old name and old life. She's Bonnie now. A firedog. And she's not going back.

Personality:
She has a bit of a chip on her shoulder due to her past, but is otherwise quite friendly and will go out of her way to make sure others are not in danger.

Or at least that's how she was originally intended to be. She's instead picked up exadgerations of some of the less pleasant parts of my own personality since then. Friendly at first, Bonnie has little tolerance for 'playing stupid' whether it's intentional or merely perceived, Her demeanor turning catty and sarcastic toards the individual she perceives as wasting her time. This gets especially bad if she had expectations of the person beforehand.

Her past abandonment issues have made her slightly possessive of those she cares about or has interest in, and she's been known to hold a grudge following arguments or other altercations. To those she's close to she's usually pleasant, but may mess with them from time to time.

Personality issues aside she's curious about the world of magic, and believes any power can be understood best through study.

Powers or abilities:
Bonnie is an arcane caster, specializing in divination and transmutation to the exclusion of all else. Though the others at the station don't know this, they've learned to trust her 'bad feelings' about a certain day will or won't be a 'rough one', and think bringing her along is 'good luck' not realizing that their improved success rate isn't luck, but that she's actually augmenting their capabilities magically.

Bonnie has mastered Silent and Concealed spell casting, since initially being nonverbal she had no choice in the former, and did the latter deliberately in the hopes of not coming across as a freak to her old family.

Other notes:
Because full-time employment would require her to be a member of the IAFF and/or AFL–CIO, of which she's ineligible due to her species not being recognized as full citizens (something several groups are trying to rectify), she only works part-time.

Like many dalmatians, she has reduced hearing, she used to be deaf, before she took up casting. It's actually the reason she went looking for someone to teach her; her owner at the time thought she was just stupid and was rough with her as a result. She actually hears via a persistent sound-sensing divination spell, bringing her senses from their natural sub-par state up to average.

special:
S-7
P-3
E-7
C-5
I-7
A-7
L-5
Last edited by Buster on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I've been sitting here listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks movie adaption of "Witch Doctor" for a good while and the entire time I was thinking of what position to draw Sandchilla in on stage.
My characters!
Deske

Post by Deske »

"Sandchilla." That's an adorable name but I can't help but think of a chinchilla as Godzilla.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Is Bonnie an alchemist of sorts?

Also: I had originally planned the Orange that Horus and Kama were talking to to be a doppleganger, and I was going to originally have her poof upon meeting Kama. However, I wanted to wait until there was an actual sign of threat, if there ever was one.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

No, She's an arcane spell caster (as opposed to divine caster, Inherent magic user, invoker, or ritualistic caster). It's a classification that refers to where one gets the source of their power (Studying spelbooks, Devotion to a god/demigod, magic one is born with, Demonic and/or eldrich power, and completing rituals, respectively.) most commonly seen in D&D but it has since spread to other media, some of the definitions changing slightly in the process.

alchemy, at least as it works in FMA (sorry, only form I'm familiar with) would fall under ritualistic, since the most important parts are the circles, runes, and raw materials used.

In the context of arcane divine and inherent spells, Transmutation refers to all spells that alter the physical properties of something pre-existing. Changing something's shape, strength, or color for example. The end result may be similar to alchemy, but the method and limitations therein, as well as strengths and weaknesses of what it can and cannot do are different. Alchemical transmutation is constrained by conservation of mass, Transmutation spells are not, for example.

The most common examples of transmutation spells are the ones in RPGs referred to as "Status effects" "buffs" and "debuffs".

Divination in those same contexts refers to spells that provide additional information. Scrying, farseeing, Sending and receiving of magic-based messages, future-sight, etc.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Huh! Sounds cool ^^
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Ya'll know all this science and mythical stuff and I'm just like:

Disney is magical. Copy that for now and change it up later in character development in the RP. You'll be fine.
My characters!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

My existing character is an adorable lab accident that doesn't know she's a lab accident, with a bad knockoff of Professor X's powers.

That's not science, it's Powerpuff girls meets X-Men! :P

This is no different! It's just the end result of playing CRPGs & tactics games to the point that i think in those terms.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but she gets her power from studying spellbooks, right?
Surely she must have some intrinsic power though? I mean, otherwise just anyone could use magic if they got their paws on the right book?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

some forms of magic are able to be done by anyone with enough study, it wouldn't be weird for someone to only have magic from studying books.
alternately, maybe the books have magic that imprints itself on the reader when they understand what they've read.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that's... well, a setting specific question, and I don't claim to to understand all the inner workings of how the HPU Setting works. I leave that to the GMs to keep track of.

In some, yes, anyone with the right book can learn, on others, only 'gifted' individuals can even read the books. in others, the book itself is a magic item and/or entity that is tied in some way to gaining the initial power. in others it's about willpower, and one must believe unwaveringly that they have the powers, or that the powers are real, to actually use them. in others all magic is inherently bloodline related, or inherently divine, or invoked, or whatever, and the distinction is more about use than source. and then some mix and match.

in all cases, the books are closely guarded as they're a source of or key to power. Steal someone's book and you're effectively stealing their spells. And the stricter the setting's masquerade the more careful the defense.

Personally I'm partial to the tome she learns from being an entity itself, a sort of magical 'smart-book' that picks it's owner. but if that clashes with how HPUs work mechanically, I can work around pretty much anything.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so, hotep... verdict?
Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

Sorry i need some time due to college life and internet cuts
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Deske

Post by Deske »

I will be gone until Saturday. There is no internet in the mountains of North California. Such is why I was not here these past couple of days. If you need Rig feel free to drag him along.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Um, what time is it in game? (I think this is the 3rd time I asked.)

Also, remember Orange is scared out of her mind and needs confirmation that Kama is okay and isn't going to hurt her.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

last i checked it was mid afternoon, but that was when we were still at rig's...
Hotep the psychic

ok buster i approve this character.

as to time lets put ourselves in the afternoon time now since thats what most may begin to think.
ImageImageImage
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I don't know why, but I just thought of Kama, Horus, and Orange all being in a relationship together.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

There's a word for that!

Anyways, the thing about having a creative mind is that you want to make new things at every turn. That little kitten I just made up? Supposed to be a one time thing, but brain is all like: "You know you want to make her a minor character. You know you do."
My characters!
Hotep the psychic

. . . hhyper now im thinking of the same thing....dang it.

i was thinking of having horus fall in love with either kama or orange anyway but never truly decided it
ImageImageImage
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

We should have that three relationship thing. I think it'd be interesting.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

To quote the taco commercials at Hotep's undecided love interest choice: Why not both?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Are they all dating each other? Or are two people dating one person, but the two people aren't dating themselves and the one person is fine with this.
My characters!
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

No one is dating at the moment.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I know, but I was wondering how the relationship was gonna be.
My characters!