Format, Now and then.

Discuss the comic here
Adoring Fan

Format, Now and then.

Post by Adoring Fan »

So, i'm curious what others think about the new art style vs the old art style as well as the new comic format vs the older strip style. This is all just personal opinion so there really is no right or wrong answer its just how you feel.

As for myself i am mixed. On one hand I feel that The detail level to the various characters has defiantly gone up which is especially pronounced in Duchess. On the other hand the colors have become less vibrant especially in the backgrounds as detail has been lost there. As for the format and timing of release well.... The real issue i see with that lies in the fact that the format isn't really any different as far as length. Strips still average the same length with the difference being solely in the more "Widescreen" nature as opposed to the previous square blocks. Despite this the rate of release has dropped by 1/3 per week. Which dosan't seem to be justified by changes.

So for me.....Detail quality is up slightly, background quality is down slightly and release schedule is down with ought perceived justification.

What do you guys think? how do you see things? Don't just respond to mine either i am curious how YOU see things.
Image Image
Cesco

Re: Format, Now and then.

Post by Cesco »

I really like the changes done to the comic, it's a deep and big improvement. :D
I love the new characters detail, and it's good to still have the eyes iris color. :) The background detailing level is still the same, but yeah, the new colouring way can give the impression of a lower quality, but I like it; it's another good step ahead to give a more matured look to the comic, showed by how the current arc story is being (this difference is higher if compared with the entirely digital made strips of the second style). The more visual gags are also a nice touch. :D This new format is perfect for the future releases of the books, with one comic per page. ;) The only thing that I don't like is the reducing from 3 strips per week to 2 pages per week, as it's being weird to me have less meeting with this great comic, but the reasons are understandable.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

I agree with Cesco, everything is awesome but I'd like 3 comics a week instead of 2, even if that means bringing down the effort per-strip a bit. Also I think the colours are a good way to give a feeling to the whole story, in this case it's logical for them to be a bit less saturated since the arc is about attempted murder and has a kind of la-noire feel to it, but on happier arcs I think it'd be better to use the normal pallet.

Shadows aren't a problem as that critic said, and it'd bring up the effort and lower the content per week unfortunately.

The comic works great as is, but I still would prefer more content per week :(`

comics per week
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'm not sure if i like the style from 2012 best, but I can definitely say that the styles that came after were NOT an improvement.
in particular they eyes getting progressively smaller and beadier is creepy.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I currently think the style is very nice. I like the details to the backgrounds. However, it's the pacing i'm more worried about. As was said, moving it down to 2 comics slowed the pacing down since the comics still feel like a regular comic, but with more detailed art and more dialogue, but slower action. That can definitely change in the future ~ so i say it's WAY too early to call that the problem since we haven't seen what the rest of the year will be like - like one-offs or christmas.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Currently I'm still pondering the format change; I may go back to 3x per week, but it'd be something like a half page instead of a full page. Maybe I'll jump between 2x and 3x depending on the arc I'm drawing.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

O.O

Wow... I was just gathering opinions on how everyone thought things were going i didn't expect Rick Griffin to reply personally. If you read this Rick i hope you understand that this was just a gauging of others opinions and any critical view is intended as constructive.
Image Image
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

For perspective, Rick, how long would you say it takes to make a strip, these days?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Yeah, I would have to agree that the 2 strips per week format is negatively affecting the story flow. Since the current arc started in July, all that has happened is Fox meeting Mungo, them going to the docks and sniffing around a little, going to a donut shop, and going to the GODC. This is about half a day's progression over the course of over 3 months, and I doubt that they'll solve the case in the course of one day. It would be too rushed.

Then again, the Housepets 5000 BC arcs took 4 months; but at the same time, a lot more happened.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh - I thought the previous strip and double strip format 3 times a week was golden. The current format would be good for a continuing story following only a few characters, but with such a large and lovable cast, it is hard for them to not seem left out.

-----

I do like the background style being used; it's reminiscent of the 2nd style - less blotchy, more airy. I think the drab colors of the current arc are a nice touch - they suggest the weather is changing. If you progress through each strip, it starts out looking hot and hazy, then progresses to overcast. The puddles outside the GODC indicate that it's been raining recently. I think the dynamic weather is a really nice touch. I do look forward to seeing bright sunny skies again soon, though - the drab palate has been a little depressing, but I think it fits the theme of the arc really well.

-----

I believe the style of the characters has only gotten better over time. I too am glad you decided to keep the eye colors, Rick. ^^
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Think of the higher detail as the trade-off for two updates a week. More work is now going into them, so it should be expected that more time would need to be dedicated to them.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Douglas Collier

True, the quality has definitely improved, but it was the characters and their misadventures we fell in love with, even when they were lower quality. But now it's like those are starting to suffer in order to accommodate long-form storytelling and artistry, which are good, but perhaps not for a slice of life comedy webcomic. The comic is currently going a different direction than the the one that we started with, but it's up to Rick how he wants the comic to go. Even if it turns into a full on soap opera, I'll likely continue to follow it, though perhaps not with as much enthusiasm as previously (well, then again, soaps are pretty addictive, as Lucretia has taught us, so maybe not without enthusiasm - just the wrong kind. *CRUNCH*).
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

rickgriffin wrote:Currently I'm still pondering the format change; I may go back to 3x per week, but it'd be something like a half page instead of a full page. Maybe I'll jump between 2x and 3x depending on the arc I'm drawing.
I highly recommend you try testing this format on one-offs.

The style is great, but i think it's being used backwards. I think the extra dialogue is nice and feels much more appropriate for a one-off. that, and it would definitely make the one-offs feel much more impactful in addition to being zany.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

GameCobra wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:Currently I'm still pondering the format change; I may go back to 3x per week, but it'd be something like a half page instead of a full page. Maybe I'll jump between 2x and 3x depending on the arc I'm drawing.

The style is great, but i think it's being used backwards. I think the extra dialogue is nice and feels much more appropriate for a one-off. that, and it would definitely make the one-offs feel much more impactful in addition to being zany.
That's actually a really good idea, maybe use bigger pages for strips that "ask for it" like the one where keene wakes up inside the sinking car or in ones with more elaborate jokes, not neccessarily forcing it into all the strips in an entire arc.
Douglas Collier

NoSoyFurry wrote:
GameCobra wrote:

That's actually a really good idea, maybe use bigger pages for strips that "ask for it" like the one where keene wakes up inside the sinking car or in ones with more elaborate jokes, not neccessarily forcing it into all the strips in an entire arc.
I have to agree. Twice a week larger comics might work better for fun carefree mini arcs (like the Fort Pillow arc) and one-offs, creating a nice little lull between misadventures to watch some antics or catch up with characters we haven't seen in a while, while thrice a week smaller comics would be good for longer and more serious story arcs, reducing viewer fatigue and getting more gags in.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Constantly shifting update schedules sound weird, if you ask me. Maybe if one-offs for a couple weeks, then a story arc, then another set of one-offs, though how long each one is would get hard to predict.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Douglas Collier

Perhaps Rick could post on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for story arcs and only Mondays and Wednesdays for one-offs and mini arcs?
Kendrakirai

Post by Kendrakirai »

Personally, I prefer the half pages/double strips from before. This format is....strange for Housepets. And this arc is moving very slowly.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I don't anticipate the comic switching to a chaotic, constantly-varying update schedule; either it will be twice per week or thrice. The trade-off, when going from the old update tempo to the current one, was rapidity of update versus quality and length. If we contrast Real Stories of the K9PD with The 4 Animals You Meet In Heaven, we find the latter had 102 frames in 24 updates and the former's had 101 in 22.

Rick's discussed going this route for years. Housepets! never shied away from telling stories longer than a strip or two, so to say the comic's moving away from its identity seems somewhat disingenuous. That being said, Rick's had to make sacrifices even on longer arcs and this format allows him to decompress the story a bit.

My concern would be pressuring Rick to do the comic in a way he no longer considers fun or interesting, rather than letting him adjust and spread his wings.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Dissension wrote:I don't anticipate the comic switching to a chaotic, constantly-varying update schedule; either it will be twice per week or thrice. The trade-off, when going from the old update tempo to the current one, was rapidity of update versus quality and length. If we contrast Real Stories of the K9PD with The 4 Animals You Meet In Heaven, we find the latter had 102 frames in 24 updates and the former's had 101 in 22.

Rick's discussed going this route for years. Housepets! never shied away from telling stories longer than a strip or two, so to say the comic's moving away from its identity seems somewhat disingenuous. That being said, Rick's had to make sacrifices even on longer arcs and this format allows him to decompress the story a bit.

My concern would be pressuring Rick to do the comic in a way he no longer considers fun or interesting, rather than letting him adjust and spread his wings.
It's also one of the reasons i believe we're being too early with the judgement on this. I don't want to pressure Rick, but i do have to express a concern regarding the pacing as well. Hopefully this concern helps.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked the shorter form, to be honest! But I wouldn't blame Rick if he ever compresses a week into two longer comics rather than three shorter ones if the story dictates it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

It might be because I found the comic when it was already 3.0 but I find the bigger eyes weirder, like they're constantly surprised or something. Smaller eyes just feel more natural for some strange reason.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Honestly, I like the formats for the time periods they're in. The current one works really well for a crime solving arc. Also, I have said this elsewhere, I don't feel like I'm missing out on stuff when I don't visit for a few days. I'll admit though, the dull colors are a bit hard on the eyes. But the decision is ultimately Rick's. I bet he feels a bit more relaxed since he doesn't have to worry about putting a strip out every other day. It frees up the schedule a bit for whatever else he's got going on.

I will always love Housepets! whatever whichway you decide to do it, Rick. :)
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Douglas Collier

It seems that the alt text for quite a few arcs (Arcs 81-96) have changed to the strip titles. Is there any way to get them back?
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Douglas Collier wrote:It seems that the alt text for quite a few arcs (Arcs 81-96) have changed to the strip titles. Is there any way to get them back?
We're on it! They were ALL like that a while ago :P...

...Speaking of, I gotta start adding some, I kinda forgot about it.
Sartharina

Post by Sartharina »

I can't say I like the new format and update schedule at all, especially since Rick seems to frequently revert back to 4 panels. Sure, they're bigger, but don't really convey any more information than the smaller, horizontal panels did, and break the right-to-left flow of the comic.

We're getting much less Housepets than we used to (4-6 panels twice a week instead of three times), slower, and I can't remember the last time we've gotten one-offs. And we still don't have character tags back!

For what little it's worth, I can't keep voting for Housepets at the Ursa Major Rewards - I feel it no longer qualifies for the "Newspaper-style comic" to me, because it's lost that tone and readability format.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Sartharina wrote:I can't say I like the new format and update schedule at all, especially since Rick seems to frequently revert back to 4 panels. Sure, they're bigger, but don't really convey any more information than the smaller, horizontal panels did, and break the right-to-left flow of the comic.

We're getting much less Housepets than we used to (4-6 panels twice a week instead of three times), slower, and I can't remember the last time we've gotten one-offs. And we still don't have character tags back!

For what little it's worth, I can't keep voting for Housepets at the Ursa Major Rewards - I feel it no longer qualifies for the "Newspaper-style comic" to me, because it's lost that tone and readability format.
Rick acknowledged it didn't qualify anymore for the newspaper style comic, and character tags et all are still there, only not visible because the site is unfinished (Hence the buttons not being a bone and fish, the arcs and comics not showing as previews, a lot of stuff missing...)

Also the schedule is preety much the same it's always been.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

The twice a week schedule was very short-lived, yes.
Cyon

Post by Cyon »

Not to mention that no top of this he's also been working on A&H
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Cyon wrote:Not to mention that no top of this he's also been working on A&H
And a lot of commissions, sketches, the books... Plus he still has a life to live and a dog to take care of.
Wifadacoco

Post by Wifadacoco »

I like the current iteration of the format, but then again it wasn't something I paid explicit attention to.