URSA MAJOR AWARDS 2016

What are we doing!?
valerio

URSA MAJOR AWARDS 2016

Post by valerio »

Voting has started!

Go HERE to cast your appreciation for Rick!

Cheers
Not A Furry

Re: URSA MAJOR AWARDS 2016

Post by Not A Furry »

I thought the comic was disqualified this year for changing format?
TheAggrivator

Post by TheAggrivator »

Not A Furry wrote:I thought the comic was disqualified this year for changing format?
Apparently not; I just went and voted for it just fine. How did it change that would have disqualified it?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

As long as the comic continues to go up against SaveState, 2nd place is all HP is getting...
I just like that art style better.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Voted :3

I like Savestate as well! I much prefer Housepets's art.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

First time voting in this.
Good luck Rick!
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Is that time of the year again ? Voting for HP ! Savestate is a very strong second place, I like Tims style but uploading just once a week might not be enough for winning.

And who knows... maybe next year there will be a new contender *winks while looking at my banner*
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I voted yesterday, I hope Housepets! will win the award also this year! :D My second place is for Savestate.
TheAggrivator wrote:
Not A Furry wrote:I thought the comic was disqualified this year for changing format?
Apparently not; I just went and voted for it just fine. How did it change that would have disqualified it?
The doubt is about the now different comic format, that changed from strips to entire and half pages. The website talks about "Newspaper-style strips", indeed.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I voted! It's cool seeing Housepets! win so much, though I'll admit it's kinda lame the same comic wins year after year after year. It's good Housepets! keeps quality consistently high, but the furry fandom needs to step up its game!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

There. I voted and I made this topic so that everyone can see it. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:I voted! It's cool seeing Housepets! win so much, though I'll admit it's kinda lame the same comic wins year after year after year. It's good Housepets! keeps quality consistently high, but the furry fandom needs to step up its game!
One good contestant would be Savestate, but one upload a week is not enough and makes the development really slow. The Whiteboard, now, that would be an interesting candidate
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:I voted! It's cool seeing Housepets! win so much, though I'll admit it's kinda lame the same comic wins year after year after year. It's good Housepets! keeps quality consistently high, but the furry fandom needs to step up its game!
This was the reason that I gave for not pulling myself out of the running. I'd really LIKE to see someone overtake me, though I'm p sure the best contestants don't have the regular update format I do
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

rickgriffin wrote:
This was the reason that I gave for not pulling myself out of the running. I'd really LIKE to see someone overtake me, though I'm p sure the best contestants don't have the regular update format I do
It should push them to want to improve more. Getting a good updating schedule and drawing consistently without a feel of flack is one of those things i feel the comic does so well.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

GameCobra wrote:It should push them to want to improve more. Getting a good updating schedule and drawing consistently without a feel of flack is one of those things i feel the comic does so well.
Well yes and no. If the goal (of other artists) is to win the Ursa Major and "dethrone" Housepets!, then yes, they should improve their updating schedule, but in a lot of cases this isn´t the main goal. A lot of artists just want to tell the stories they want to share. And unlike Rick, they aren't full time artists (I believe this is the case of Savestate's Tim) and can't commit to a 3-time-a-week upload.

Now, this doesn't mean the artist shouldn´t push him/herself to improve in areas like the artwork or the storytelling (both being things that Rick has pretty much mastered). So, in a more specific example, the only scenario I can see where Savestate (who is right now the second best) wins the Ursa Major, is if Tim starts uploading more than once a week, and since he's not a full time artist, it is very unlikely for this to happen.

*I must say that I haven't checked the other participants, so this thing about the updating schedule might not apply to them.
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

rickgriffin wrote:
So you are waiting for the Chosen One to arrive to take the place they no doubt would have to earn, whoever that may be. Well, good luck to the contestants.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I wonder how the MLP fandom would react if MLP:FIM won. :lol:
rickgriffin wrote:
Well, Kevin and Kell has a regular daily update format. Unfortunately for them, that combined with the fact that the comic is over 20 years old means that the comic's jokes have gotten repetitive, and no longer have the element of surprise that is so important for the comic's style of comedy. I have to hand it to the artist, he has never missed a scheduled update in all that time. Not that I know of anyway.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gbr23 wrote:
GameCobra wrote:It should push them to want to improve more. Getting a good updating schedule and drawing consistently without a feel of flack is one of those things i feel the comic does so well.
Well yes and no. If the goal (of other artists) is to win the Ursa Major and "dethrone" Housepets!, then yes, they should improve their updating schedule, but in a lot of cases this isn´t the main goal. A lot of artists just want to tell the stories they want to share. And unlike Rick, they aren't full time artists (I believe this is the case of Savestate's Tim) and can't commit to a 3-time-a-week upload.

Now, this doesn't mean the artist shouldn´t push him/herself to improve in areas like the artwork or the storytelling (both being things that Rick has pretty much mastered). So, in a more specific example, the only scenario I can see where Savestate (who is right now the second best) wins the Ursa Major, is if Tim starts uploading more than once a week, and since he's not a full time artist, it is very unlikely for this to happen.

*I must say that I haven't checked the other participants, so this thing about the updating schedule might not apply to them.
I'm confident the goal of theirs isn't to just win the awards, but it woudln't surprise me if there is at least a little competitiveness out there on the ursa awards at least. =3
valerio

Post by valerio »

rickgriffin wrote:
Not to mention EVOLUTION. Not only you have kept constant with your storytelling, but you always worked to improve your style and after all these years your comic still reads as fresh as new.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

CyberDragon wrote:I wonder how the MLP fandom would react if MLP:FIM won. :lol:
rickgriffin wrote:
Well, Kevin and Kell has a regular daily update format. Unfortunately for them, that combined with the fact that the comic is over 20 years old means that the comic's jokes have gotten repetitive, and no longer have the element of surprise that is so important for the comic's style of comedy. I have to hand it to the artist, he has never missed a scheduled update in all that time. Not that I know of anyway.
Plus it's not even that good, to be honest. It's like Garfield. What it did was important for its time, but it failed to evolve in any significant way and now it's basically a historically important relic more than it is quality entertainment.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yeah, that's why I stopped reading it. Though to be fair, I think the reason for that might be because the artist has exhausted all of his ideas and thus keeps returning to the same jokes. It's pretty hard to keep coming up with fresh ideas and funny jokes every single day. To make it worse, his favorite jokes rely on an unexpected twist, but he's used those jokes so often that it's more unexpected if there ISN'T a twist.

In short it's bad, but for an understandable reason. Probably why I stuck with it as long as I did.

In other news, I saw S&S was nominated for best graphic story. I wish Jan luck on that. Kind of disappointed DMFA wasn't up there. It's really well done.
-Champion Motto

Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

GameCobra wrote:I'm confident the goal of theirs isn't to just win the awards, but it woudln't surprise me if there is at least a little competitiveness out there on the ursa awards at least. =3
You know... you are absolutely right ! That kind of competitiveness at the end makes the artist want to be better...
ImageImage
Kylecan81

Post by Kylecan81 »

But what happens when the next book comes out and it doesn't say housepets won the ursa major award!? :o
Is this supposed to be my cool saying? I ain't got one.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Annnnd Rick wins again :D

Grats, Rick!
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Congrats Rick! :D
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
-Champion Motto

valerio

Post by valerio »

*dances* well-deserved congratulations, furret!! :D :D :D
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yay! Great! :D Congratulations for the eighth consecutive win! :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

valerio wrote:*dances* well-deserved congratulations, furret!! :D :D :D
isn't he a roo now?
anyway, congrats, Rick
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Congrats Rick!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Conga Rats, Rick! Are you going to take next year off and give everyone else a chance?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

rickgriffin wrote:
DocRat updates 5 days a week. Jenner creates them all on a Wednesday as that's the only day he's not ready to see patients as a Melbourne GP.

The creator of "Carry on" puts in three updates a week and sometimes adds in strips for the crosstimecafe whilst being a full time farmer.

I'll never say you don't work hard - to the bone, even - Rick, but some of the other top talent may have more 'distractions' meaning it's a miracle they keep to their update schedules so well.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Congratulations Rick! Love to see my fav webcomic at the top again. :-)
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Conga Rats, Rick! Are you going to take next year off and give everyone else a chance?
Egad! VADE RETRO, DEMONIO! BEGONE, DEMON!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Congrats, Rick! :D

I was at Anthrocon but never made it to the ceremony, awwr...
Liam

Post by Liam »

ALL SHALL TREMBLE BEFORE THE FURRET'S UNBROKEN DOMINANCE

LOOK ON HIS WORK AND DESPAIR

...anyway, congratulations Rick!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.