Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Douglas Collier

Re: Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

Post by Douglas Collier »

Well, if they don't listen to Echo, there's no chance they'll help at all; at least with the power box, we'd be sure to get their attention (nobody's going to wait to check on the power - the food in the fridge going bad would be reason enough to brave the storm and check it out). And I think Charlie's life is more important than electricity right now - fuses can be replaced; lives can't.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

even if we don't the thing is already damaged and it's raining. it's only a matter of time before the water causes a short, so its going to break either way. may as well break in a way that gets them off their grouchy buts.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

I'm really not sure breaking the power box is the right answer. Considering how stubborn the parents seem to be, if we do that, they might just stay angry at Echo and drag him back inside. Now, I may be wrong, but I don't know. I still say we just shout that Charlie is missing and run into the woods after Bravo.
Let's give it everything we've got! Get ready, because it's Punishment Time!
-Monokuma

What? Even if I like dark topics, I can't resist cuteness.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

DO NOT BREAK THE POWER BOX!

sorry. But that is a really bad idea. If you yell Charley is missing and then go break the box, what will happen? If they listened to you yell and they know what's wrong, there is no point to breaking the box. If they didn't listen and they go outside and find you standing next to the smashed power box, they will just get VERY angry and won't let you get out a single word. You might even be considered mad or blamed for the rest of the destruction.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

CyberDragon wrote:DO NOT BREAK THE POWER BOX!

sorry. But that is a really bad idea. If you yell Charley is missing and then go break the box, what will happen? If they listened to you yell and they know what's wrong, there is no point to breaking the box. If they didn't listen and they go outside and find you standing next to the smashed power box, they will just get VERY angry and won't let you get out a single word. You might even be considered mad or blamed for the rest of the destruction.
I totally agree. Just yell "Charlie's missing!" and head back out to search.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Render wrote:

hmm agreed, worst case scenario we'd only be missing one path
Douglas Collier

Fine. We'll give the parents the chance to be parents and not just innkeepers. At any rate, not breaking the power box might save us a few of the precious moments we've lost.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Because there where so many improvisation choices, but they had 2 overall similarities, I will be counting points based on destruction or yelling and leaving this turn.
I will only be counting it based on people's FINAL say on the matter. There was a lot of back and for and convincing done on this one:
HellishK9 wrote:Improvise:
Grab the gun and shoot the door down!
That is a joke... unless it isn't.
Let's just yell that Charlie is missing, get straight to the point.
Destruction: 1
CyberDragon wrote:Say, very clearly, audibly, and concisely, with nothing added, "Charley's missing" so that you get the point across before they have the chance to interrupt.
YaL: 1
Buster wrote:Improv: Throw the vase at the door. Ostensibly it's to get their attention, but honestly? those two are horrible human beings. Also breaking things is cathartic and we need to get echo's mood back up.
Not A Furry wrote:Breaking stuff is fun, shout that and wreck the crap out of that box
Destruction: 2 (also, I'll take note of that...)
Lance316 wrote:Just scream "Charlie's missing" or something along those lines.
TaL: 2
Saturn381 wrote:I vote for HellishK and Lance's idea.
TaL: 3
AnimeNerd88 wrote:I think the way he should say is like "Missing! Charlie's gone missing!" That way it's less likely for them to interrupt. Also, maybe throw an insult at them. It might help Echo's mental state, and it would probably make us more satisfied.
TaL: 4
Gbr23 wrote:4, Leave the house to look for Charlie while screaming "Charlie's missing"

Also on an art note, it's great how you captured the emotion in that picture of Echo banging the door, nailed the feeling of desperation/urgency. Great work !
TaL: 5 (also, thank you! :D )
Douglas Collier wrote:I'd say to shout that Charlie's missing, and that if they don't care - fine, you'll find him yourself! Then run out and break the power box (let's not break the vase - they'll just get more mad) to show them you mean business and to get them outside to see what the heck is going on. Ultimate chain, GO!
Douglas Collier wrote:Fine. We'll give the parents the chance to be parents and not just innkeepers. At any rate, not breaking the power box might save us a few of the precious moments we've lost.
TaL: 6
Legotron123 wrote:While braking the power box would get their attention, I'm worried it'll waste time when they might listen if we just yell "Charlie's missing!" However, it's the one that has the highest chance of success, so I'ma go with breaking the power box, then tell them Charlie's missing when they come out to see what's going on.
Destruction: 3
Not A Furry wrote:
Render wrote:

hmm agreed, worst case scenario we'd only be missing one path
Tal: 8 (Not a Furry and Render)
Naro Rivers wrote:Wild wanton destruction doesn't actually calm a person. In fact, it increases anger. There have been experiments on this.

I say that Echo simply shouts "Charlie's gone!" and goes to help Bravo. Breaking things likely won't do any good.

(Also, they're not horrible human beings. While it may have been a bit harsh, they're simply disciplining the pups. They're unaware that anything is wrong and—as they don't have information that we have—wrongly assume that Echo is just throwing a fit when actually a life hangs in the balance; this is called "dramatic irony".)
TaL: 9 (more notes on the destruction thing for Echo~)
Llyrelated wrote:I like the idea of shouting "Missing! Charlie's missing!", but I don't think breaking the power box is going to help us. If they go outside and check the power box (which they may not rush to) they are likely to be distracted by that and still not notice that Charlie is missing. Also, let's try to avoid wrecking valuable property. They are kind of in a bad financial state.
TaL: 10

Before all the debating and convincing, that was almost a giant chain of both these choices! But in the end, one plan of action overcame the other...

-----------------------

Echo:...

Echo:......!

If they wont listen to you, you don't have to listen to them...

Echo: CHARLIE IS MISSING! CHARLIE IS MISSING!!!

Dad: Echo, what are you talking about?! Echo? ECHO ARE YOU LISTENING!?

Mom: Oh look what you did now! You made him cry!

Dad: What, I did that?! Why are YOU suddenly out of this equation?!

You head to the exit as fast as you can...

Mom: I wasn't the one barking orders at him! I was just telling him to go to bed!

Dad: Well who was the one who couldn't keep their composure at dinner, huh?!

Mom: How could you expect either of us to keep our composure given the subject matter?! Ya know frankly it says a lot more good about me breaking first than not showing any sympathy at all!

Dad: What's that supposed to mean anyway? Are you implying I don't care about them?! Besides, you could have showed em how much you ACTUALLY care if you had just kept your cool and waited for the right moment to ease it to them!

Mom: I need to keep MY cool?! Listen to yourself--

You close the door behind you. There's nothing else you want to do besides finding Charley. That's all that matters right now. It's up to you and Bravo.

You arrive at the 3 paths again, Bravo seems to have already left. You notice something in the middle path: Two sticks forming a sort of arrow, pointing in the direction of the middle path! There's also a fresh set of small tracks heading down the path. This must be where Bravo went!

Although, is it a good idea to follow Bravo? How did he decide which path to go, did he just guess? In that case, it may be smarter to take another path, you'll cover a lot more ground that way. If one of you doesn't find Charlie on one of the paths, the other has a 50/50 chance of finding him, and could howl for eachother! However, maybe splitting up isn't the greatest idea after all. There's still something out there, and if one of us does find Charlie, will you be able to hold it off waiting for the other? Howling might also attract it, you don't know exactly what species it is after all.

Whatever you do, you know you have to do it quickly...

1) Follow Bravo
2) Go down the Left Path
3) Go down the Right Path
4) Pick up Sticks
5) Pick up Metal Rod
ImageImageImageImage
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

It is a 50/50 chance but the right path looks like it has a bunch of obstacles in the way so I'll send him down the left path.
Perhaps we could also create a makeshift arrow showing the path we went down.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I still say that we at least want a weapon.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

If Breath of the Wild has taught me anything, it's that you never carry anything metal in a thunderstorm. Leave the metal rod alone, and take the right path.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

HellishK9 wrote:It is a 50/50 chance but the right path looks like it has a bunch of obstacles in the way so I'll send him down the left path.
Legotron123 wrote:Leave the metal rod alone, and take the right path.
as I've pointed out REPEATEDLY, right is a rather obvious red herring. Go left.
D-Rock wrote:I still say that we at least want a weapon.
Legotron123 wrote:If Breath of the Wild has taught me anything, it's that you never carry anything metal in a thunderstorm.
yeah, being a mobile lightning rod is bad. especially if we find ourselves out in the open. we can probably grab a rock or a stick on the way.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

We want to find Charlie as soon as possible so grab the weapon and head right
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I'm going with picking up the metal rod.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:
HellishK9 wrote:It is a 50/50 chance but the right path looks like it has a bunch of obstacles in the way so I'll send him down the left path.
Legotron123 wrote:Leave the metal rod alone, and take the right path.
as I've pointed out REPEATEDLY, right is a rather obvious red herring. Go left.
D-Rock wrote:I still say that we at least want a weapon.
Legotron123 wrote:If Breath of the Wild has taught me anything, it's that you never carry anything metal in a thunderstorm.
yeah, being a mobile lightning rod is bad. especially if we find ourselves out in the open. we can probably grab a rock or a stick on the way.
^this. all of this. Let's look at this logically.

Whatever is out there, it is big and strong enough to do a lot of damage to metal equipment. Thus, it would leave deep prints. The only deep prints were going right, and there were only deep prints, so Charley didn't walk that way. He is too small to leave deep prints. The beast didn't carry Charley off with it because then we'd have no chance of saving him. Chaoko is at the very least giving us the chance to save him, so the beast doesn't already have him. Also, he'd be taking major damage, not minor damage if the beast grabbed him. all of this means that the right path and the beast itself is one big red herring like Buster said. However, there were some very light prints leading left as if someone either very small or very fast left in that direction. Something like a puppy perhaps? Also, with the scent, unless Charley is seriously lacking in hygiene, it is likely his scent would have been washed away or very faint. Thus, the strong scent leading Right is also likely another red herring. It is probably a local animal that lives in the area, in which case Bravo would probably have its scent, but wouldn't be able to identify it.

Basically I'm thinking the right path is a definite no. going down that path is likely just to loose Echo. Go left.
-Champion Motto

Douglas Collier

Told you guys. Oh well, the parents can just keep arguing. In the meantime, take the left path.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Use the metal rod to indicate you're going left, no lightning to be worried about and if the parents do eventually come, they'll be able to split up either to cover more ground on the right "path" or look for both of them and possibly help them if they are in danger. They also wouldn't be together so there's less chance of an argument slowing them down. They also might pick up the shotgun if they're going into the wild.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That too.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Agreed, no reason not to mark the path, on the off chance dumb and dumber actually do something.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Adding on to the red herring: in the comic, Charlie drowned. He wasn't eaten or torn apart.

Take the left path, using the rod to mark it.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

Naro Rivers wrote:Adding on to the red herring: in the comic, Charlie drowned. He wasn't eaten or torn apart.

I second this.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I'm very sorry for not updating recently. Been doing my finals and my ISP's connection has mysteriously shut down. We're switching ISP's because frankly this is ridiculous, it's been days without internet now, and I can only assume everyone in my area with it has been experiencing this as well. The game will continue within the next few days.
ImageImageImageImage
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

OrWasIt.EXE wrote:
Naro Rivers wrote:Adding on to the red herring: in the comic, Charlie drowned. He wasn't eaten or torn apart.

I second this.
I third this! :mrgreen:

Image Image
ImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Sorry for the major delay everyone! We're back in action (geez with all these delays this game might actually take longer than the single year I initially planned it to).
Legotron123 wrote:If Breath of the Wild has taught me anything, it's that you never carry anything metal in a thunderstorm. Leave the metal rod alone, and take the right path.
*Snaps fingers*
Buster wrote:as I've pointed out REPEATEDLY, right is a rather obvious red herring. Go left.

CyberDragon wrote: ^this. all of this. Let's look at this logically.

Whatever is out there, it is big and strong enough to do a lot of damage to metal equipment. Thus, it would leave deep prints. The only deep prints were going right, and there were only deep prints, so Charley didn't walk that way. He is too small to leave deep prints. The beast didn't carry Charley off with it because then we'd have no chance of saving him. Chaoko is at the very least giving us the chance to save him, so the beast doesn't already have him. Also, he'd be taking major damage, not minor damage if the beast grabbed him. all of this means that the right path and the beast itself is one big red herring like Buster said. However, there were some very light prints leading left as if someone either very small or very fast left in that direction. Something like a puppy perhaps? Also, with the scent, unless Charley is seriously lacking in hygiene, it is likely his scent would have been washed away or very faint. Thus, the strong scent leading Right is also likely another red herring. It is probably a local animal that lives in the area, in which case Bravo would probably have its scent, but wouldn't be able to identify it.

Basically I'm thinking the right path is a definite no. going down that path is likely just to loose Echo. Go left.
Douglas Collier wrote:Told you guys. Oh well, the parents can just keep arguing. In the meantime, take the left path.
Not A Furry wrote:Use the metal rod to indicate you're going left, no lightning to be worried about and if the parents do eventually come, they'll be able to split up either to cover more ground on the right "path" or look for both of them and possibly help them if they are in danger. They also wouldn't be together so there's less chance of an argument slowing them down. They also might pick up the shotgun if they're going into the wild.
Buster wrote:Agreed, no reason not to mark the path, on the off chance dumb and dumber actually do something.
Render wrote:
OrWasIt.EXE wrote:

I second this.
I third this! :mrgreen:
-------------------------------

You consider for a moment taking the metal rod to use as a weapon. However, with the whole thunderstorm situation going on, you can't help but be reminded of Charlie's little "cleaning incident" when he was trying to clean out one of those sad faces you plug things into the wall with after Bravo had gotten some clay into it trying to make an imprint. You'd rather not tempt to repeat history on a grander scale...

You leave the rod behind, but make sure it points down the path you went, much like what Bravo did. Bravo only left a little while ago, there's no way he could have found him yet. You might as well cover as much ground as possible as fast as possible. Judging by the light footprints, it's quite possible Charlie went this way! You don't know what went the right way, but you're sure it wasn't anything you'd like to meet.

Echo: (Bravo might know something I don't about the situation, but this seems like this path would be a logical way for Charlie to go! The three of us know it best, and if the prints are light because he was trying to get away, it would all match up! Hold on Charlie, we're almost there!)

You then hurry along the path in hopes of finding any trace of Charlie...

You can see the entrance to the river from here, if you make a break for it, you could get there in no time! Wait, is that... Charlie's lightsaber?! He did go down this path! Although, you feel like there's something not right about this scene...

1) Sprint to the lake.
2) Inspect the lightsaber.
3) Inspect the ground.
4) Inspect the bushes.
5) Howl for Charlie.
6) Howl for Echo.
7) Listen.
ImageImageImageImage
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Call for Echo while making a sprint to the river
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I say we listen for Echo.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

It looks like the footprints end a little bit further ahead. Inspecting the bushes and howling for Echo might be the best decision.
I'm getting the feeling that an ambush might take place.
Douglas Collier

Dang it, it all looks suspicious! The claw marks on the tree, the paw prints going in all sorts of directions.

I'd vote we take control of Charlie, if that were an option. But, since it isn't, I recommend sniffing the bushes. Also, check for blood.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think we should inspect everything, maybe prioritizing the ground.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Douglas Collier

Actually, if we howl for Echo, he could cut across the woods and in the process eliminate suspicion on the left side of the path.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

which was the original idea, we might have a lot of choices left to make and they would be easier if both bravo and echo were together
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Saturn381 wrote:I say we listen for Echo.
Wait, are you trying to howl for Echo or are you specifically trying to listen for Echo? Or are you trying to both how, then listen, or vice versa?
ImageImageImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Yes.
Douglas Collier

Howl for Echo, listen for his approach.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Wait, are you trying to howl for Echo or are you specifically trying to listen for Echo? Or are you trying to both how, then listen, or vice versa?
Sorry, I meant howl for Echo. :oops:
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I say, howl for echo and the inspect the bushes while waiting for a reaction.
Douglas Collier wrote:I'd vote we take control of Charlie, if that were an option.
hehehe

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

We can just howl for echo and make a run for the river, then make echo inspect the bushes once he arrives. There is no time if he's already in the river
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Buster wrote:Yes.
Good enough for me!
-----------

You make a howl calling for Echo.

Only seconds later, you get another howl in reply, you recognize this to be Echo!

Echo: AwOooOoOoo! (I'm coming!)

The howl doesn't sound very far away.

???: AAAAUUUUUUROOOOOOOOUUUUUuuuu

A strange, yet familiarly chilling loud howl comes from your right. It did not sound natural, there was something very off about it. You have no idea what on Earth it meant or what kind of howl it was, but you can only assume it was not a friendly call...

You're trembling, you've never felt like this before...

1) Sprint to the lake!
2) Don't move...
3) Grab the lightsaber!
4) Hide...
5) Bark!
ImageImageImageImage
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

well that was fast...
what's that in the bushes?

It'd be asking too much if I did a triple combo right? :P grab the light saber, bark and make a run for the river
If that's not possible, just bark and go to the river
If THAT is not possible, go to the river.

Reasoning being that charlie might be in the river and we'd lose a lot of time fighting the beast
Last edited by Not A Furry on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Collier

Maybe if we bark, Echo will get there faster and Bravo will have a better chance against the thing.

I wonder if we could set a trap by embedding the broken pieces of the lightsaber in the ground so the thing might step on them? =3