Make up your mind, Joey!

Discuss the comic here
CanzetYote

Make up your mind, Joey!

Post by CanzetYote »

Not A Furry

Re: Make up your mind, Joey!

Post by Not A Furry »

You can watch something even if you hate it.

Also I think there should be a thread for general discussion of the comic as to reduce thread "spam"
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

General discussion thread is a good Idea.

Also, You have to look at when the comics were made/set. In the first one, the most recent SW movie was Episode III, which was widely panned by the fan community. If Joey was that upset about the prequels, then he *is* a SW fan, and would conceivably be guardedly optimistic about The Force Awakens.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've known a lot of fans of things who behave exactly like this, so this isn't that unusual! They like things deep down but they're so hypercritical you'd never know they didn't hate them.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

considering Anekin's journey is literally a 'bad ending' clone of Luke's, the acting is equally bad in both from everyone except Han/Younger Obiwan, everyone outside the main trio is either a useless and/or annoying throwaway character save for the villan, the current cybernetic saber wielding foe with a breathing problem, and that one old guy who dies dramatically in the first film of their set because plot, the real mystery is how any one was surprised the third set is yet another carbon copy with yet another new coat of paint.

only difference is that this time they're not trying to hide it behind bad CG, incompetent back-story nods, and unwanted answers to questions nobody asked.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

he said George Lucas is the devil. No more George Lucas, JJ Abrams takes over, Joey becomes a fan. easy.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Abrams is worse, look at what he did to Startrek; it went from an inspiringly optimistic, despite its dark moments, tale of a better future (in which each movie and numerous episodes carried important themes and messages) to generic pop culture scifi, catering to the lowest common denominator for the sake of ticket sales.

even the worst of the old set, Startrek: Nemesis, had that going for it, fixating on questions of identity for those who have always lived in the shadow of another, and the dangers of getting involved with the instigators of a foreign regime change.

What do we have with new trek? a mashup of starwars and four other things, pretending to be startrek, while breaking the first and to-date only rule of time travel in the series (Paradoxes DO NOT create new timelines, they REPLACE the old one). A bad knockoff of wrath of Khan, that falls flat because the writers forgot that everything that should have set it in motion hasn't happened yet and therefore they had to slap together flimsy justifications. And a convoluted forgettable mess that honestly feels like it's stealing plot points from both Search for Spock, and Thor the Dark World, the former of which makes no sense because the instigating events once again haven't happened and substitutes need to be shoehorned in, and the latter is pretty bad considering thats the worst movie in the MCU by far.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:Abrams is worse, look at what he did to Startrek; it went from an inspiringly optimistic, despite its dark moments, tale of a better future (in which each movie and numerous episodes carried important themes and messages) to generic pop culture scifi, catering to the lowest common denominator for the sake of ticket sales.

even the worst of the old set, Startrek: Nemesis, had that going for it, fixating on questions of identity for those who have always lived in the shadow of another, and the dangers of getting involved with the instigators of a foreign regime change.

What do we have with new trek? a mashup of starwars and four other things, pretending to be startrek, while breaking the first and to-date only rule of time travel in the series (Paradoxes DO NOT create new timelines, they REPLACE the old one). A bad knockoff of wrath of Khan, that falls flat because the writers forgot that everything that should have set it in motion hasn't happened yet and therefore they had to slap together flimsy justifications. And a convoluted forgettable mess that honestly feels like it's stealing plot points from both Search for Spock, and Thor the Dark World, the former of which makes no sense because the instigating events once again haven't happened and substitutes need to be shoehorned in, and the latter is pretty bad considering thats the worst movie in the MCU by far.
Do you think Joey holds the same thoughts as you? This isn't a discussion on whether it actually is a good change, just a discussion on Joey's situation.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Not A Furry wrote:You can watch something even if you hate it.

Also I think there should be a thread for general discussion of the comic as to reduce thread "spam"
Yeah, but Joey is still paying for a movie ticket. I'm pretty sure Joey is smart enough to not waste money on something that he hates.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CanzetYote wrote:
Not A Furry wrote:You can watch something even if you hate it.

Yeah, but Joey is still paying for a movie ticket. I'm pretty sure Joey is smart enough to not waste money on something that he hates.
He probably enjoys the movies but personally didn't like George Lucas and was in a bad mood regarding Star Wars at the time. That or he's just open to trying Force Awakens since George Lucas wasn't involved.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm sure it's possible that Joey is simply optimistic after Lucas' downfall no longer affecting the franchise. Maybe he initially liked it but felt it was completely tarnished by the prequels.

Wonder if they watch The Clone Wars or Rebels? That'd be an interesting thought.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

CanzetYote wrote:Yeah, but Joey is still paying for a movie ticket. I'm pretty sure Joey is smart enough to not waste money on something that he hates.
Joey wrote:Lester, it's your turn to buy tickets
;)
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Sansash wrote:
CanzetYote wrote:Yeah, but Joey is still paying for a movie ticket. I'm pretty sure Joey is smart enough to not waste money on something that he hates.
Joey wrote:Lester, it's your turn to buy tickets
;)
Well then, it's Lester's money to burn then, I guess.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Surely one reason why he was frozen by hipster paralysis :D
Dallas wrote:In normal circumstances, signs indicate he should despise the new movie, yet despite geek circles trending toward outright cynicism, he is baffled as to whether he should hold out hope
I seem to have missed the trending toward outright cynicism, lol (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_7Qmb-WZI). But then I tend to avoid that sort of pre-tainting and try see a movie without bias.
valerio

Post by valerio »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:he said George Lucas is the devil. No more George Lucas, JJ Abrams takes over, Joey becomes a fan. easy.
"JJ Abrahams is the devil!"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Buster wrote:Abrams is worse, look at what he did to Startrek; it went from an inspiringly optimistic, despite its dark moments, tale of a better future (in which each movie and numerous episodes carried important themes and messages) to generic pop culture scifi, catering to the lowest common denominator for the sake of ticket sales.

This sounds a lot like Joey. :P

But a lot of Star Wars fans think George Lucas is awful so I get that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

You forgot to mention lens flare. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder where Dallas stands on all this?