Rick's non-comic Housepets art

Discuss the comic here
anhedral

Re: Rick's non-comic Housepets art

Post by anhedral »

I hadn't seen Pete and the dragon before; thank you for posting.

All of these new designs are so intriguing and beautiful. I love it when an artist is up for the challenge of stretching their existing characters in new directions, exactly as we see here. What's particularly impressive is how Rick has maintained the internal consistency with the canon HP world - in other words, Jessica still looks vaguely feral and 'don't mess with me', Peanut is cheekiness personified, etc etc.

While I'd really like to see these designs integrated into the regular comic in some way, I can well understand the counter arguments. I think perhaps a standalone arc that didn't affect the main comic's direction of travel could work - perhaps it could be posted on a different site to the main HP one to maintain the separation? Or perhaps it could be bonus material for the next book? Now *that* would be a big incentive for me to buy!
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Dissension wrote:
Not A Furry wrote:Fox and Mungo are masculine unlike King, Keene or Peanut. He's perfecting it real fast
King, Keene, and Peanut aren't meant to be particularly masculine. They're not big, buff guys who're into sports and stuff.
I'm not saying they're not beefy, they are at the very least quite fit, I'm saying their poses are very feminine.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

A little androgyny never hurt anybody. I'd really rather not have the whole gang evolve into gym-rats, snow bunnies, and an eternal beefcake Beach Party.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

NHWestoN wrote:A little androgyny never hurt anybody. I'd really rather not have the whole gang evolve into gym-rats, snow bunnies, and an eternal beefcake Beach Party.
Being androgynous is not the opposite of being beefy, you can be skinny/fat and still masculine. Some of them are muscular and yet kind of feminine.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

West, he said poses, not builds. NaF is referring to their posture and body language, not their proportions.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

There's nothing wrong with effeminacy. Peanut, Keene, and King aren't masculine.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No, agreed, Diss, there's nothing wrong with effeminate .... Still, I'm inclined to think of Peanut, Keene, King and others who aren't built like Mungo or Kevin as more in the range of standard cartoon animal male physique, not as less "manly." One could argue that Peanut (and some other male characters) are more "childlike" than, say, Sergeant Ralph, and so Peanut is not less masculine than Mungo, just less adult or emotionally immature. ("One could say" that; I would gently disagree.) Gender and attraction are often elusive a d changing variables among individuals ... even "funny animals".

As to "builds" versus "poses", I'd saying build equates to physical shape and structure ( muscular as contrasted to obese, say) while pose is self-presentation and posture (as in "strike a pose") whatever body structure. I'm probably agreeing with you without realizing it, Buster, so I'll just move briskly off-stage.

Regards
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Dissension wrote:There's nothing wrong with effeminacy. Peanut, Keene, and King aren't masculine.
As arguable as that is, one thing is not being an overly hunky manly character and another thing entirely is being effeminate. Peanut's character is very childish but still a male, not effeminate. King is just overpowered by Bailey's physic and personality, but he's still a male and not effeminate in the least. Keene is the one that might be considered the most effeminate but his character is still not as effeminate as the pose might suggest (Also I suddenly realized I don't know how weasel musculature works for them to be such meat slinks :P)
Manly
Masculine
Male and childish
Feminine and childish
Feminine
Effeminate

Hunkiness and effeminacy are not mutually exclusive, and Bailey is a clear example of that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The depiction of Keene and Breel reminds me much of one of Rick's locker room pictures where a rabbit is arguing with a pig, apparently the locker manager, while a whistling stag is casing out the bunny from behind. Keene's pose seems modeled after this rabbit while Breel's pose and expression echoes the deer's mood.

Like you, NaF, I don't think Keene is effeminate so much as he is just small. In terms of gender, Lana is pretty much indistinguishable from her brothers. Breel, even in his normal physique, is bigger than Keene but not thereby more manly (or is it more "weasely"?). He's a celestial, he's a warm, genial, touchy-feely lovey sort of guy and he's taken a shine to the Miltons, especially Keene. He's a muse, so that's what Breel's doing in the picture here ... Musing.

Regards.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

She's the magical equivalent of a former Child Soldier. Having her head screwed on sideways to a certain degree is kinda to be expected.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

>Pete: No change
>Dragon: Stacked like pancakes
ImageImage
ImageImage
dusk

Post by dusk »

Pff, lol
As I gaze upon the stars, I realize how much I will miss this world.

20-23-5-14-20-25 25-5-1-18-19 8-5 4-9-4 14-15-20 18-5-20-21-18-14,

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Not A Furry wrote:
Dissension wrote:There's nothing wrong with effeminacy. Peanut, Keene, and King aren't masculine.
As arguable as that is, one thing is not being an overly hunky manly character and another thing entirely is being effeminate. Peanut's character is very childish but still a male, not effeminate. King is just overpowered by Bailey's physic and personality, but he's still a male and not effeminate in the least. Keene is the one that might be considered the most effeminate but his character is still not as effeminate as the pose might suggest (Also I suddenly realized I don't know how weasel musculature works for them to be such meat slinks :P)
Manly
Masculine
Male and childish
Feminine and childish
Feminine
Effeminate

Hunkiness and effeminacy are not mutually exclusive, and Bailey is a clear example of that.
I never said effeminacy and masculinity were related to body type, for one thing, and for another, it's OK for males to be effeminate and females to be masculine and vice-versa. That's not arguable.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Dissension wrote:
Not A Furry wrote:
Manly
Masculine
Male and childish
Feminine and childish
Feminine
Effeminate

I never said effeminacy and masculinity were related to body type, for one thing, and for another, it's OK for males to be effeminate and females to be masculine and vice-versa. That's not arguable.
Keene, Peanut and King aren't very masculine but they aren't effeminate either.

This is not the place to argue about gender roles or any kind of social politics for that matter -- That said, it is perfectly arguable, just like the morals against it were argued until society's views changed; freedom of speech is the basis of a free society. There are very few matters everyone agrees upon, as long as people respect eachother it is perfectly fine to argue about anything.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Let's move on.
Sasha and Kevin were done earlier today.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The conversations here seem very open and respectful to me, part of why I enjoy the forum.

...... and another reason I enjoy the forum ..... Sasha, you do look lovely tonight. .... I'm gonna get another private message, aren't I? Sigh. Still, the picture really catches her joy and exuberance for life, besides adding other ... um .... attributes.

Regards.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Pete and Spirit Dragon look good, and they show their personalities. ;) Great for Sasha and Kevin, love them! :D I hope soon will be the turn of Maxwell... :P He can well be paired with Bino, since they're siblings.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed, Cesco! Finally .... "THE CAT HAS HIS DAY !!!" Instead of Bino, we could pair Maxwell with Res for some major league "Squeeeeeeee Hah!" out of Grape.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I could dig Max and Bino. =3

Sasha and Kevin are looking lovely. like two workout dogs. Sasha funny enough is getting more fit lately.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Max and Bino are a good family pairing ... on that theme, how about Tiger, Marvin, and Zach?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Another got done.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

That is very nice <3
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Fido sure looks in the buff today. moreso than usual
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ralph: ... I confess ~ you could be my number two if you keep this up.
Fido: Isn't this standard dog training, though?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

WOOF !
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Great! :D They look cool, and visually buff. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wait 'til Sabrina gets an eyeful of Fido rockin' those ................. um ........spectacles.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Here comes another one.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I must say, those look great!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I like Zach’s look in this one - perfect balance of body composition (not too skinny, not too fat, not too much muscle) and good male proportions (wider shoulders, smaller hips). Cory looks good too. :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed, Doug. Zach has the more "Grecian" youth model, rather like Peanut and Grape in their depictions above. Like them, the rabbit looks strongl, poised, balanced, the ancient classical ideal of the handsome young male, an ideal which was extremely uncomfortable with "exaggerated" body types.

Cilantro/Cory, sort of like Tarot, would fit into the Hellenistic "comic" type, especially with that healthy paunch. Still, he's not grotesque - his build is robust, energetic, a healthy peasant sort, the sort of fat on muscle that suggests a certain bold confidence ... just what a good "con-man" needs. His hold on Zach is ambiguous, more of an arresting grip than a social connection.

And, as we know from Zach's first encounter with Cory, the skunk salted his flim-flam patter with some pretty flirtatious nicknames. So, as with some of the other pairings above, there's a whiff of chemistry there.
Regards.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yep, that's really the usual unsure Zach, and with this style he's still cute. :D Eheh, it's curious see Cory so chubby. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

He does have a bit of a pot-belly in the arcs where he appears.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Cory and Zach actually look a lot like their normal style in this. Just with more detail.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maxwell and Bino, next, or maybe "Team Nerd"? Realizing, a'course, now's a busy time ...
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Rick's sketches for book 8

Here be the links:
part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4

Also I colored the Grape one :P

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thanks for the links, NaF...and a first rate color job on Grape.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

But if we add a little sauce, then...

ImageImage
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okayyyyyyyyyy, Sinder .... way to bring the heat. Warm biscuits, yup.