Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Welsh Halfwit

Re: Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Yeah, it's kinda a hot bean drink," Jenny said, before frowning slightly, "which does sound weird now you mention it but it's a good drink." She walked Kolt into the kitchen and let him watch as she prepared a cafetiere and two cups. "These are pastries, " she added, remembering his biology and ordering two large, cream filled, apple turnovers from the machine. She headed into the living room with the goodies and took a seat on the sofa after pouring the coffees. "Milk's for adding if you like it," she added, indicating the little jug. "So, you were telling me of your home world?"
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Having checked that - yup, he'd been ditched - Jaken headed for new home, getting there a moment or so after Rika. As she locked up and got something called 'coco' ready, he divested himself of all clothes and half melted into the sofa. "Hope tomorrow's borin'," he told his guardian.
"After everything today, I hope so too.." Rika replied from the kitchen. Once she finished making some hot chocolate and grabbed some snacks she brought them over to Jaken, trying her best not to look at him. "Here you are.. Careful, it's a little hot." She said as she handed him his drink and put hers on the coffee-table in front of the sofa. "I'm going to go change, you should too. And put your other clothes in the hamper in the bathroom, don't leave them on the floor there.." She added, saying the last in a slightly authoritative tone. With that she headed into her room and closed the door behind her..

Although Jaken wouldn't know, Rika sounded just like her mother with that last comment..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Cue facepalm.

"Ok, Point with the shark thing, but what exactly do you expect my being there is going to do, Other than being slightly closer while we wait for her to calm down? It's a child throwing a tantrum, she's going to be blind to reason, and by human standards we're not exactly an affectionate species. She wont want or expect that."

"Damage control maybe? Hive is kinda squishy compared to the two of us together..."

- - - - - - - -

There's no indication June is listening, just staring at the machine. Though she does react with alarm when the others approach her, the instinctive part of her mind still very much in control, albeit not so much that she can't recognize things trying to surround her and prioritizing 'flight' over 'fight' this time.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"Fine. If you're not going to contribute to helping June learn acceptable behavior or even make sure she doesn't attack anyone in her panicked state, then feel free to show yourselves to your room. The number is on the cards I gave you. I suggest you be up and active by 8. Tomorrow is going to be busy. Hopefully not in the same way as today, but it will be busy. Goodnight." With that, the droid walked off.

-------------------------

None of the droids followed June. That would be the obvious wrong answer for this situation. She wasn't thinking right now. At the moment, she was a shark on the loose, and he would play on these instincts of hers.

June at that moment might smell something very appealing to her. Blood. It was wafting through a door to her left.

The door led to one of the Oceanic District's food courts. Hive had this one closed off except for the one door that was opened. He had turned on the replicator in that court's public kitchen and started pumping blood and fish bits out of it and into the water.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt took a bite of the turnover as he tried to think to something about his home she might find interesting. ”Yeah, though I’m not sure what else to say about it. I’m still not all that familiar with how other cultures are different, so I don’t know what about my planet is unique. The only thing I know is unique is a biological aspect. Apparently we’re one of the only species where only having one child per pregnancy is the exception rather than the rule.” He said after swallowing the fruity dessert. He was about to take another bite when he remembered something rather important. ”Ah, son of a Parakrekk. I forgot I have to call Lus. She’s going to be so upset.” He looked over at Jenny, a slightly sheepish look on his face. ”You mind if I use your screen to call my sister?”
Last edited by Legotron123 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Go fr it," Jenny said with a slightly 'rabid' look on her face from the cream around her mouth. "I'll pop into my bedroom and stay quiet."
------------------------------------------------------------------
When Rika returned, Jaken had put his few clothes in the bin and actually put n a thin pair of elasticated shorts intended as nightwear. He didn't much see the need but he was making the gesture to Rika. She seemed a little discomfited by the respect he'd given her by his culture so he'd try by her culture. For once. And the 'coco' was good.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

as he walked away, once again if Kobor's eyes could move like that they'd be rolling. "Humans..."

"you'd think a civilization as old as theirs would have figured out that offspring develop faster if left on their own."He commented snidely, as he fished out the card from one of the shell's storage compartments and started tracking down the room with the matching number.

"maybe theirs don't?" Talya belatedly offered as a half hearted counter argument. Genuinely grasping at straws given the limited amount of time she had spent around them.

"That's... just weird."

- - - - - - - -

Elswhere, somebody's bad day just stopped being so bad. There is no way June would say no to free food, even if she weren't in her current state.
By the time anyone finds her she'll have her jaw clamped around the open end of the replicator trying to suck the snacks out faster.

also in a much better and more clearheaded mood.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

When June entered the food court, Hivemind quietly shut the door, locking her inside the abandoned room until she was calm and aware enough to avoid the possibility of hurting others. The only other person in the room besides June was one of Hivemind's droids. It floated non-threateningly on the other side of the room, waiting for whenever June was ready to leave.
-Champion Motto

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:When Rika returned, Jaken had put his few clothes in the bin and actually put on a thin pair of elasticated shorts intended as nightwear. He didn't much see the need but he was making the gesture to Rika. She seemed a little discomfited by the respect he'd given her by his culture so he'd try by her culture. For once. And the 'coco' was good.
Rika was now wearing just an off-white colored button shirt that looked two sizes too big for her and was only buttoned up halfway. "Thank you for that, Jaken." She said calmly, noting that he cleaned up. She then sat onto the sofa with her legs crossed and picked up her mug. Do you like your coco? It's not too sweet, is it? I added a little sweetener for you, I hope that's alright.." She asked simply before taking a sip of her own.
Character Reference
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”No, you don’t need to go. I’m sure once she’s done swearing, well I don’t know if she’ll EVER be done swearing, but once she’s yelling at me, I’m sure she’d like to meet you. Though you might want to get rid of some of that cream on your face first.” Kolt said, smirking at how goofy she looked. Once he was sure there wasn’t any crumbs on his suit, he looked up towards the ceiling, trying to find where Hivemind would have the recording device. ”Hey Hivemind? Is this ship capable of making calls to Concertia? I need to call my sister.”
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind, of course, doesn't respond because there are no recording devices in private areas like homes and apartments. That would be creepy.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny wondered about meeting his sister now but considered he probably knew what he was doing as she found a napkin and dabbed the cream off her face. She had an absurd impule - which she followed up on - to make the bed quickly and it took all of thirty seconds.before she almost nonchalantly... too nonchalantly? - sat on the sofa again. "Use the comm system," she said, pointing to the wall terminal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"'S good, Miss Rika," Jaken said, half drinking and half lapping the liquid as she sat down. "Thick,\" he added, before coming across slightly and leaning against Rika comfortably. "You make a good mom," he told her. Then a wry grin. "Do I get pocket money?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hannabelle sat on the edge of her bed, swinging her feet as the ship moved. She'd not moved since she'd finished putting the room back in order and she'd only removed the surveillance devices that she'd found after logging their brands. The HiveMind undoubtedly had hidden devices in places most couldn't reach - or any - so these were either sloppy attempts designed to be found to set the person at ease or they were someone else's. She was thinking more sloppies at the moment and she spoke aloud. "Hey, Hive," she called. "If you want to hear me sleep, you only had to ask. Speaking of asking, I'l like a word with the idiot trio before you do. They know you won't kill. They'll take that as courage into dealings with you. Let me put fear of ME into them first," she growled.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika almost choked on her coco, yet somehow held her composure. "I'll ah.. I'll think about it.." She said simply, hoping Jaken doesn't notice she's blushing. "Although, I don't really have any reason to not let you.." She added, looking away momentarily before turning back to him with a wide smile.
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Hannabelle sat on the edge of her bed, swinging her feet as the ship moved. She'd not moved since she'd finished putting the room back in order and she'd only removed the surveillance devices that she'd found after logging their brands. The HiveMind undoubtedly had hidden devices in places most couldn't reach - or any - so these were either sloppy attempts designed to be found to set the person at ease or they were someone else's. She was thinking more sloppies at the moment and she spoke aloud. "Hey, Hive," she called. "If you want to hear me sleep, you only had to ask. Speaking of asking, I'l like a word with the idiot trio before you do. They know you won't kill. They'll take that as courage into dealings with you. Let me put fear of ME into them first," she growled.
"That will likely be unnecessary." Hivemind said over the comm system in the room. "Also, please replace that spinning scanner doodad. It's a life sign monitor. It's there to alert me if you have an emergency that you can't call for help for. Usually medical emergencies. It also will alert me if, somehow, some way, someone manages to enter the house other than you. It doesn't record audio or video and I don't get any information from it unless something is wrong."
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt looked over at the intercom, staring blankly at it before covering his eyes with his left hand and sighing. ”I am such an idiot.” He said, before walking over to the aforementioned intercom and pressing the call button. ”Hey Hivemind, can this ship make a call to Concertia? I need to call my sister.”

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"Sure thing, Kolt." Hivemind respond. "Just make the call normally. Don't forget the system and planet codes when dialing."
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Why not just let hi tell you the number to csll, Hive," Jenny asked, knowing h could hear he right now, "and you add the codes? You're talking thirty digits here."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jaken managed to put the mug down on the table and almost burrowed into Rika's side before letting go of a heavy breath and falling asleep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hannabelle put the life monitor back together and left it spinning atop the able. "No chance of getting a Rum from the rplicator, I assume," she asked the room before asking the machine.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika put her drink down also before wrapping her arms around Jaken as he nuzzled into her, leaning her head onto him. It took her a while to realize he fell asleep, although she was drifting off herself anyway..

It was a pretty tiring day.. She thought.

With that thought in mind, Rika pulled on the blanket that was draped over the back of the sofa and carefully covered the two before falling into a pleasant sleep..
Character Reference
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”Honestly, I’m surprised my planet even has it’s own code yet, seeing as the negotiations for us to join your Federation or whatever it’s called only started less than a week ago.” Kolt said, honestly surprised that his system already had it’s own code for phone numbers. Though it had been half a decade since the Federation first contacted them. Maybe they’d set it up before the negotiations as a precaution. Whatever, it wasn’t important now. ”So yeah. Can you just put in the code for me? No one has exactly told me what it is, so I have no idea.”

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"Yeah, sure. I can put it in. What's the number?"

-------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Hannabelle put the life monitor back together and left it spinning atop the able. "No chance of getting a Rum from the replicator, I assume," she asked the room before asking the machine.
"I don't see why not." Hivemind stated. The replicator in the kitchen started up. A small robotic arm on the machine swiveled around and grabbed a bottle from the cabinet and moved it around to a nozzle on the replicator itself. The drink poured out into the bottle. "Don't drink it too fast. The replicator won't print anything strong again for about an hour."
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”Sure. It’s 1999-434-6399. Thanks.” Kolt said before sitting down next to Jenny, the screen now showing that a call was in progress. He turned his head to look at his girlfriend, ignoring the little flitter in his heart at the thought of having one. ”So, just a fair bit of warning, I was NOT kidding about how much she swears when I mentioned it earlier, nor about how mad she gets. The first two or three minutes are probably going to be her yelling and swearing until we can calm her down. But she only gets that upset when she’s concerned, so really it’s just her way of showing affection.”

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind entered the number, adding the galaxy, quadrant, system, and planet numbers to it, and started the call. The communication system device started ringing.
-Champion Motto

dusk

Post by dusk »

The past few months had been odd ones for Jolty. He had reunited with old friends, had to leave some behind, and currently was being shot at by intergalactic space spirates. Again. A few plama blasts shot through his trenchcoat as he sprinted, cursing like a madman. "[dontdiedontdiedontdieaxolotalabovepleasesparemeooooohlordyloudontdidontdie!!!/i]" To his left, he saw a glowing portal closing up, and it was his ticket out. He sprinted through just as the gateway shut, leaving him on the Beacon, looking very out of place in a crowd of confused and worried ordinary people.

Looking around, he realized he was receiving attention, and quickly sprinted away to hid in a back alleyway. This was not a good day for him.....
As I gaze upon the stars, I realize how much I will miss this world.

20-23-5-14-20-25 25-5-1-18-19 8-5 4-9-4 14-15-20 18-5-20-21-18-14,

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Jolty-Kun wrote:The past few months had been odd ones for Jolty. He had reunited with old friends, had to leave some behind, and currently was being shot at by intergalactic space spirates. Again. A few plama blasts shot through his trenchcoat as he sprinted, cursing like a madman. "dontdiedontdiedontdieaxolotalabovepleasesparemeooooohlordyloudontdidontdie!!!" To his left, he saw a glowing portal closing up, and it was his ticket out. He sprinted through just as the gateway shut, leaving him on the Beacon, looking very out of place in a crowd of confused and worried ordinary people.

Looking around, he realized he was receiving attention, and quickly sprinted away to hid in a back alleyway. This was not a good day for him.....
A light droid who lingered in the area walked through the crowd to get a better look at the person who just jumped through his portal. "Jolty! There you are! I'm glad you could make it!" The droid said, arms open in welcome. "I'm sorry. I lost you in the crowd earlier. There was a bit of change in plans and I had to get everyone out of the area, fast." The droid got a better look at him. "You look like you've had a rough time. Don't worry too much about it. Today was a crummy day for pretty much everyone. Why don't you follow me and we'll find you a place to stay?"

Seeing a hive droid greet the new arrival in such a way, the crowd's attention rather quickly was occupied with the daily chores of the people in it.
-Champion Motto

dusk

Post by dusk »

Jolty looked at him, eyes wide with fear. He look god awful. One lens of his glasses was completely shattered, so much you could barely see his eye through the broken lens. His hands and fingers where littered with wrappings and bandages, and his clothes and gear where in even worse shape than he saw you last.

His grin turned into a wild, crazed smile as he grabbed the robot's shoulders, a feral and almost scared look in his eyes. "!!DNIMEVIHYZARCUOYEMANYMLLACYEHTSEYEEHTSEYEEHTHGUORHTNEEBEVITAHWAEDIONEVAHUOYAHAHAHAH. I'm so close I can feel it!! THE ANSWER I ALMOST HAVE IT EMIT EROM DEEN TSUJ I!!"

He falls back, putting his head in his hands. "Ohnononono...it's happening again...."

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The robot stared at him blankly for a minute.

"...let's discuss this somewhere quieter, where there aren't so many people around." the droid finally said as the crowd's attention was back on Jolty.
-Champion Motto

dusk

Post by dusk »

He looks back at you, looking around at the crowd, tense. He shivers. "O-okay....lead the way...."

*Russian Intensifies*
Deske

Post by Deske »

"It seems like the day is winding down to a close. I guess this is goodnight." He smiled and gave Tatiana a small wave before he made his way into the elevator that would take him to his floor.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"I once had to interview a Tourecian dockworker," Jenny said from her bedroom, "Now THEY are inventive with the language, I can tell you! Your Sister should be fine!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
dusk

Post by dusk »

As Jolty and the Hive-Bot walk along, he keeps getting stares and glances. The more he walks, the more nervous he feels. "Eyes....siyllaersihtonhoniagagnihctawerayeht-" He clamps a paw over his mouth, and shakes his head. He looks really bad. His class dig into the cheap metal plating of the droid's arm, putting gashes in the plating. "Please hurry...." He whispers. He looks to be shaking...

*Russian Intensifies*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Deske wrote:"It seems like the day is winding down to a close. I guess this is goodnight." He smiled and gave Tatiana a small wave before he made his way into the elevator that would take him to his floor.
Jolty-Kun wrote:He looks back at you, looking around at the crowd, tense. He shivers. "O-okay....lead the way...."
The hive droid led Jolty to the elevator Ulrich was in before it closed. He pushed the button for the top floor. "Hey, Ulrich. Good job today. Best get as much rest as you can, because tomorrow is also going to be pretty busy. Hopefully not in a life-or-death way. First thing on the list is to pay Randy a visit in the hospital if you wanted to join."

When they got to Ulrich's stop, the hive droid waved goodbye and continued up with Jolty until they got to the top floor. Hivemind led Jolty into a rather large yet lightly furnished apartment room. There was a bedroom up some stairs, a bathroom, a kitchen, a TV with some video games, and a dusty old table with a bunch of papers holding math calculations on them.

"This is my room in Champion Tower. I haven't been here for a while. I don't use it much. You can stay here for the night until I can arrange for your own room." The droid turned to Jolty. "Now. Can you explain that outburst back there?"
-Champion Motto

dusk

Post by dusk »

He looks back, timidly adjusting his glasses. "I-I can't..." He begins searching the room thoroughly, looking for something. "I-I'm in over my head as it is, sir. noitazilivic eritne laretil a ot ssecca htiw nosrep rehtona si tnaw I gniht tsal eht- sorry, sorry. I meant to say 'the last thing I want is another person with access to a literal entire civilization to know...'do you have any rope? I need to tie myself up."

*Russian Intensifies*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"I don't have any rope. And I need to know if you are going to pose a threat to anyone on this ship, or to yourself. I also need to know if you need to go to the hospital." The droid responded, looking seriously at Jolty.
-Champion Motto

dusk

Post by dusk »

"I won't be able to hurt anyone if I stop and tie myself up. I...I may or may not have gotten involved with bad things...and I'm not sure who to trust....if...they knew about you, your power. They would come after you in a heartbeat..."

*Russian Intensifies*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The droid tilted his head and raised a metal eyebrow a little. "They'll need to take a number." He said simply. "Do you know how many people are after the champions? Some of them aren't even people. Some are friggin' forces of nature, and I mean literally. However, if you don't want to tell me, then at least reassure me that I don't need to tranquilize you to keep you safe from yourself? I can lock the door to keep others safe. You however, I am worried about."
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich gave a wave and a large, "Hello!" as the two entered the elevator. He eyed the small cat standing next to the droid but didn't really think much of him. Another recruit, maybe. He did look rather nervous."I will go make sure to say hello to Randy and wish him well on the road to recovery." He turned around as he stepped off the elevator, "Great, I love paperwork," he said with a hint of sarcasm, "Have a good night, Hive." With the end of the conversation came his entrance into his room.
dusk

Post by dusk »

I'll...I'll be fine...you just might want to remove anything valuable or destructible. When they take over, they like to break things. Particularly my fingers. Which is why I had to climb a rope using my teeth, and ended up breaking my jaw in three places. I don't know how I'm still looking....relatively normal..." He shivers, looking down at his hands.

*Russian Intensifies*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The droid shook it's head. "At some point, you will need to tell me who 'they' are. I need to know what I'm dealing with, and we need to figure out how to get them out of your head. We can get to that tomorrow. The bedroom's upstairs and has an attached restroom. Most of the furniture is programmable matter, so it won't be easy to break, and it will fix itself if you do manage to break it. I've softened the walls and furniture so you won't get hurt. I will lock the door once you are inside. You should get some rest. We can discuss this tomorrow."
-Champion Motto

dusk

Post by dusk »

He looks at his watch, then at the robot. "YOU NEED TO GO LOCK THE DOOR, NOW!!!" He pushes the door shut, just as you hear a crackling noise, followed by a monstrous rage. From inside the room, you hear ripping, tearing, scraping, and finally a lone howl that echos through the room, out into the hall, and into the chambers of other rooms.

*Russian Intensifies*
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana said good night to Ulrich and headed to her room. She sat in her chair and mulled the days events over in her head. She hoped Ulrich was right and Gear would have fished her snipers remains from the ocean, her mechanic back home would kill her if she lost it. But, that was tomorrow's worries. She let out a small sigh as she let her head tilt down, as she began to drift off.