Nicknames for the characters?

Discuss the comic here
CanzetYote

Nicknames for the characters?

Post by CanzetYote »

Do you by any chance have a nickname for any of the characters kin the comic? I like calling Bino "Fartmeds" because I pronounce his name like "Bean-oh". Frankly, I don't even care if that's the correct or incorrect way to pronounce his name, Bino will always be Fartmeds to me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Nicknames for the characters?

Post by Sleet »

For what it's worth it's pronounced "BYE-noh."

We used to have a forum member named Bino who pronounces it "Beano," though.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Sleet wrote:For what it's worth it's pronounced "BYE-noh."

We used to have a forum member named Bino who pronounces it "Beano," though.
Still, it's fun to mispronounce Bino's name just to spite him even if he IS a fictional being.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For poor Fox, anything but "Twinkie". "Angel-Bait", maybe ... in recognition of his anxious magnetism for Spring and Summer.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

(I wouldn't call these nicknames per say, but they are the names I call the characters despite being pretty sure they're not their real names, so close enough)
For Spo, I read his name as each letter instead of as a normal syllable (Like NSA instead of like NASA). I think I do that because it's easier to say and his naming convention produces names like Spp where the only way to pronounce it is by reading each letter. The rest of the nicknames would fall under the category "mispronunciation that stuck"
For Bino, before The Name Game I thought his name was supposed to be pronounced like Beano. After that I was too entrenched in how I said it to change.
For Tarot, I learned about tarot cards long before I learned the word was French, so I pronounce her name like carrot, but with a T instead of the C.
For Lucretia, I'm still not sure how to it should be pronounced, so I mentally change it to something I can say. It's hard to convey how I say it via the writer word, but it's something like Lu-ser-ta, with stress on the middle syllable.
The cape comes with the promotion.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Champion Wallace wrote:For Lucretia, I'm still not sure how to it should be pronounced, so I mentally change it to something I can say. It's hard to convey how I say it via the writer word, but it's something like Lu-ser-ta, with stress on the middle syllable.
the correct pronunciation is Lu-Cree-She-Uh or possibly Lu-Cree-Sha. Lu-Creesh-Yuh?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

I'm not a native english speaker so I always read her as Luk-re-ti-a, basically just how it's written
ImageImage
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i always assumed it was more along the lines of Lu-sir-ett-ah.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I remember a video of Diss providing some of the name pronunciations. Think he said it was pronounced "Lu-cray-shi-a."

I always pronounced it "Lu-creh-sha."
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:i always assumed it was more along the lines of Lu-sir-ett-ah.
The r is immediately after the c, why would it be "sir"?

Anyway, yeah it's a real name so it's easy to find the answer: lʊˈkriːʃə
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I did not expect this much discussion over Lucretia's name. I only remembered to include it after I started writing about the other three. It looks like RandomGeekNamedBrent wins with his second guess of Lu-Cree-Sha. As I said, it can be hard convey how something is pronounced via the written word sometimes. I know barely enough IPA to read the phonetic. D-Rock, do you think you'll be able to dredge up a link to Diss's pronunciation video?
The cape comes with the promotion.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Sorry about the phonetic, it's "Loo-kree-sha".
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SuperStar wrote:
Buster wrote:i always assumed it was more along the lines of Lu-sir-ett-ah.
The r is immediately after the c, why would it be "sir"?
because even if slightly inaccurate due to implying a nonexistent vowel, it's the only way i could think of to write "the sound C & S share, mashed together with an R sound" in a concise form?
i neither know how to read IPA, nor understand which symbol goes with which sound, so that option was out.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, after this extended debate, Lucretia definitely needs a more manageable moniker... Given all the pots she's keeping steaming on the stove maybe "Steamy". Has a bit of a sly undertone Miles might like, too. ;)