2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People]
Title Text: maximize happiness through cash therapy

All the money and power you have, and you didn't get a decent publicist. Keene, I thought you were a better businessman than that.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
TheSilverFox51

Re: 2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

Smooth, Keene, smooth... Like sandpaper
Allons-y
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

It's kinda sad that Keene has been fighting to make a better future for animals, and no one even knew about it and probably didn't even cared.
Last edited by Saturn381 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

This is to declare my past;
I have been your champion.
Fighting for all your rights,
but I will no longer go on.
I’ve been packing out the news,
if you’ve noticed or not.
There’s a world of hope out there
where your lot is not your lot.
What do you mean ‘when’?
You mean you’ve not known?
Then what is the actual point
of me telling you I’ve grown?
I’m giving up the fight
because I cannot win my part.
I cannot do the things I did
now it would cost me my heart.
So I leave you all where you were
- where w you’ve got is all you’ve got
- whilst I enjoy my life finally
without having to think about you lot.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Yeah, news can be a little bit depressing
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Aww, it’s nice to see Keene has learned from his mistakes and has grown from the experience.
Wait…
Wasn’t fighting for equality through the legal system a good thing? What's he going to do now; spend his billions on large shiny objects? Selfish isn't the right word to describe this action, but he is going from donating his time and money to, well, not. Then again, it might be too early to see where this leads. Maybe he'll have more forward progress spending his "retirement" doing smaller things like when he gave the wolf pack the ability to live like humans then from large scale legal battles.
The cape comes with the promotion.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Saturn381 wrote:It's kinda sad that Keene has been fighting to make a better future for animals, and no one even knew about it and probably didn't even cared.
True, and he was fighting for a good cause.
Then again, maybe they're happy just being pets and not being equal with humans. Althought for some reason, I imagine most of the stuff is being said by the good old dogs club.
Herseio

Post by Herseio »

Surely Keene could ask some help from forest animals...
I guess more didn't care because Rights implied duties, like go to work, pay taxes, take the responsibility for their actions and not owners and many things peoples forgot when wants rights and pretend to stay in a comfort zone.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So assuming this sticks as is and Keene isn't doing things in secret or something. This immediately strikes me as Rick not knowing what to do with the Animal Rights storyline or felt it was too complicated/heavy for the comic and he decided to drop it. Because, again assuming there isn't a last-minute twist to this, I kind of feel like this is a crappy way to end this plotline.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I've read through archived threads, and other times this topic has come to the fore it has been mentioned that granting animals (Even just bipedal mammals) and humans equal rights (and responsibilities) would be a very major change to the world presented in the comic.

Even in a best case scenario that ignores or downplays a lot of the messiness of large scale social change, it would be impossible to continue the same kind of storytelling that built the comic to begin with.

That wouldn't necessarily be bad, but if that's not the direction that Rick wants to go, the only options are to drop this plot thread, or let it hang in limbo forever in the background.

Or there could be a big twist coming in a few strips, let's wait and see.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Herseio wrote: I guess more didn't care because Rights implied duties, like go to work, pay taxes, take the responsibility for their actions and not owners and many things peoples forgot when wants rights and pretend to stay in a comfort zone.
As a Demon pointed out, Keene's a billionaire. He doesn't understand any of that.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Oh, Milton Keene. Even when you've grown and matured, you haven't. And I'd have it no other way. <3
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

IceKitsune wrote:So assuming this sticks as is and Keene isn't doing things in secret or something. This immediately strikes me as Rick not knowing what to do with the Animal Rights storyline or felt it was too complicated/heavy for the comic and he decided to drop it. Because, again assuming there isn't a last-minute twist to this, I kind of feel like this is a crappy way to end this plotline.
An animal rights ending would basically ruin one of the major themes of Housepets: ...house pets. If animals and humans are equal, there are no pets. Pets can't get away with funny shenanigans or let alone have time for them as they'd now be getting jobs and paying taxes. Also some stuff about pets not knowing much of anything about living on their own like a human, two species inhabiting the exact same niche creating conflict and aggression, fighting over jobs and territory, civil wars, ect. As nice as the idea is, it's a bit of a tricky one in a world like the HP one. There's also some animals like the ones in Babylon who really don't want or need it as it's a pet friendly community, though there's likely just as many societies with pets that don't have such friendly owners and laws who would want it, or just ambitious pets. The comic would definitely take a more serious turn, and as fun as that concept is it's not really fitting for Babylon (let alone the comic). It's fun in an intriguing way, not so much a comedy/adventure series. :P

Although you do kinda have a point, it's weird that he just kinda came to this conclusion from all that. Like, The Four Animals arc kinda built it up like he was encouraged to unite humans and animals (but at the same time not), and this arc was basically just "My wanting to change the world caused me to have a fight with my boyfriend and I was scared I'd lose him forever and now I don't want to change the world for the better". I can't help but feel like there's kind of a missing step or four there :lol: I get the lesson is that he should be a bit more... I don't know selfish and stop trying so hard? Still kind of a stretch considering this was his entire goal and was basically suddenly halted in technically 2 arcs. Maybe he'll explain it more in the next strip? :?
ImageImageImageImage
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

He may have come to this conclusion during the time Eudont worked him half through death. We have no clue as to how much time really passed there. Introspection and seeing how the 99% have to live lives of work might just have altered his opinions on things.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So....back to riotous, profligate spending? Naw, a little humility maybe.... And a chocolate donut.
They must have great buffets at BGardens. Critters keep turning up in droves for public events that are categorically boring and baffling. Do humans turn up for these extravaganzas?

Does this mean we won't see Mr. London again? Regards.
Frank

Post by Frank »

wait... this was a dinner?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

D-Rock wrote:All the money and power you have, and you didn't get a decent publicist.
He probably picked his agent the same way they picked their steward.

"James! What happened to all the press releases?"

"If you wanted them published you shouldn't have hired a secret agent, sir."

"That's it, Bond, you're fired."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:So assuming this sticks as is and Keene isn't doing things in secret or something. This immediately strikes me as Rick not knowing what to do with the Animal Rights storyline or felt it was too complicated/heavy for the comic and he decided to drop it. Because, again assuming there isn't a last-minute twist to this, I kind of feel like this is a crappy way to end this plotline.
An animal rights ending would basically ruin one of the major themes of Housepets: ...house pets. If animals and humans are equal, there are no pets. Pets can't get away with funny shenanigans or let alone have time for them as they'd now be getting jobs and paying taxes. Also some stuff about pets not knowing much of anything about living on their own like a human, two species inhabiting the exact same niche creating conflict and aggression, fighting over jobs and territory, civil wars, ect. As nice as the idea is, it's a bit of a tricky one in a world like the HP one. There's also some animals like the ones in Babylon who really don't want or need it as it's a pet friendly community, though there's likely just as many societies with pets that don't have such friendly owners and laws who would want it, or just ambitious pets. The comic would definitely take a more serious turn, and as fun as that concept is it's not really fitting for Babylon (let alone the comic). It's fun in an intriguing way, not so much a comedy/adventure series. :P

Although you do kinda have a point, it's weird that he just kinda came to this conclusion from all that. Like, The Four Animals arc kinda built it up like he was encouraged to unite humans and animals (but at the same time not), and this arc was basically just "My wanting to change the world caused me to have a fight with my boyfriend and I was scared I'd lose him forever and now I don't want to change the world for the better". I can't help but feel like there's kind of a missing step or four there :lol: I get the lesson is that he should be a bit more... I don't know selfish and stop trying so hard? Still kind of a stretch considering this was his entire goal and was basically suddenly halted in technically 2 arcs. Maybe he'll explain it more in the next strip? :?

I understand that he couldn't actually conclude the Animal Rights arc without radically altering the comic, I never really expected him to conclude it when the comic was ongoing. I was expecting it to just kind of continue until the comic was over with and just be addressed in an Epilogue or the last arc or something. And heck not even directly, but with a background thing like someone is flipping through TV channels and one of them mentions that Keene has won an important animal rights case or something. As it stands this whole arc has basically just been continually dumping on Keene and basically saying his and his father's dream is just a stupid waste of time. Heck, this strip alone does that.

Without a twist here that is all I get from this.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

....I expect a different ending. Food fight !!!!!
I wouldn't despair for the cause. Maybe Pit will take it up. It's too rich a theme to toss.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

So this is how Keene's mission ends? For him to find out that the people he was working for weren't even aware of his efforts, and didn't even care. For him to have devoted a chunk of his life to his father's task, to have survived assassination attempts, taken a trip to Heaven to reaffirm his dedication, and it was all for nothing? That's it?

I understand that Rick has was likely using this arc to clean out the plot clutter, but for Keene's story to end like this, that sounds deeply unsatisfying. Surely something or someone will convince Keene to reconsider, maybe Breel himself.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

leinglo wrote:So this is how Keene's mission ends? For him to find out that the people he was working for weren't even aware of his efforts, and didn't even care. For him to have devoted a chunk of his life to his father's task, to have survived assassination attempts, taken a trip to Heaven to reaffirm his dedication, and it was all for nothing? That's it?

I understand that Rick has was likely using this arc to clean out the plot clutter, but for Keene's story to end like this, that sounds deeply unsatisfying. Surely something or someone will convince Keene to reconsider, maybe Breel himself.
I don't think it's ended. I think he's now realised that the fight will be hard and, suddenly, HE HAS THINGS TO LOSE. That simple thought could put him off fighting in the conventional way after trying an UNconventional way blew up in his face and almost destroyed the world. That single thing, even leaving out having been set to work by a demon, can change someones' mind.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:

I understand that he couldn't actually conclude the Animal Rights arc without radically altering the comic, I never really expected him to conclude it when the comic was ongoing. I was expecting it to just kind of continue until the comic was over with and just be addressed in an Epilogue or the last arc or something. And heck not even directly, but with a background thing like someone is flipping through TV channels and one of them mentions that Keene has won an important animal rights case or something. As it stands this whole arc has basically just been continually dumping on Keene and basically saying his and his father's dream is just a stupid waste of time. Heck, this strip alone does that.

Without a twist here that is all I get from this.
It's not entirely certain if there was suppose to be a point to it in the end other than expand on Keene's concerns and character. It could've been instead this arc was just to destroy the temple.

Keene has a bad habit of not noticing what the community really wants. He just assumes he knows. Sure, they come and enjoy the stuff he throws, but they totally don't look at it from his perspetive - they just want to live their lives as it is since it's already awesome.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

How do you call yourself a man of the people if you don't even know the people? Fox seems happy with his lot in life, as do other pets, even, sadly, those in poor situations like Sasha. Sometimes, Keene, you have to start at the individual, not cast a wide net.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

D-Rock wrote:How do you call yourself a man of the people if you don't even know the people? Fox seems happy with his lot in life, as do other pets, even, sadly, those in poor situations like Sasha. Sometimes, Keene, you have to start at the individual, not cast a wide net.
Well he wasn't happy, was he? We saw in the '4 pets' arc that, whatever he has in life, Keene wanted MORE. That drive almost cost him everything he'd actually gained (and it took a kiss from a Prince Charming to wake him up to that fact). Now he's realised and is pulling back.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

Don't forget that all these pets are privileged to live in a town that already gives animals far more rights than they have anywhere else in the US. And even here the wild animals have a rough time of it.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Is just ending the continuing theme of several years of arcs, starting with the introduction of the wolves, really the way this is going? Or does Keene just mean he’s passing on the responsibility to someone else and taking it easy for a while? I really hope it’s the latter because, while not as bad as retconning, just pulling the plug on years of work is disappointing and confusing, especially since Mr. Milton recently (in the comic’s time) reaffirmed from beyond the grave for Keene to go ahead with his work.

Or maybe the Rick roo works in mysterious ways and the whole point of Mr. Milton pushing Keene was to get him to learn in a roundabout way that he needed to give up and enjoy life - that changing the world was either not that important or beyond his abilities? Anyway, I’m going to trust that the next strip or two will give us some satisfying explanation of what Keene intends to do and the implications for the future.

Frankly, I think all of this could have been avoided if Kitsune hadn’t neglected to follow through with his duties as a DM. From what I understand, Keene became a third party in the game like King, so he should be just as deserving of the promised rewards - if not equal animal rights, maybe at least a nudge to repeal leash laws or helping the abused animals like Sasha in some way. Keene and Mr. Milton deserve at least that much for being part of the cosmic game.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, is bad that Keene wants to give up with this important goal. It was his owner's dream. But then, he was always fighting alone with it... :| Your mean public is so prepared and informed, Keene. :P News can be depressing, but boring not really. ;) Anyway, I agree with public's easy solution: one million dollars for all! :D :P
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

. . . what the crap is anyone even talking about in this thread?
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

rickgriffin wrote:. . . what the crap is anyone even talking about in this thread?
They seem to be jumping to the conclusion that this is a conclusion to Keene's arc, rather than a shift of his focus.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

rickgriffin wrote:. . . what the crap is anyone even talking about in this thread?
I think about why Keene is giving up on his pursuit of animal rights? Not too sure myself.
Allons-y
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

No my question is why does everyone always read a serialized comic like the most recent comic should be read as the conclusion, it must be terribly confusing to think the comic or plot or character arc is ending constantly

How about you treat the punchline as a punchline and wait for Keene to actually conclude his speech or something, like a normal reading person will
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

rickgriffin wrote:No my question is why does everyone always read a serialized comic like the most recent comic should be read as the conclusion
the ever present possibility of an impending critical existence failure i would assume?
sometimes things end abruptly without warning.

or maybe that's just me? i do read a lot of fanfics.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

rickgriffin wrote:No my question is why does everyone always read a serialized comic like the most recent comic should be read as the conclusion, it must be terribly confusing to think the comic or plot or character arc is ending constantly

How about you treat the punchline as a punchline and wait for Keene to actually conclude his speech or something, like a normal reading person will
It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.

But I, like 99% will never stop reading so long as it's here. There's always a surprise coming, sir.

"The main difference between Fiction and Reality is that Fiction has to make sense" Tom Clancy.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

IceKitsune wrote:... This immediately strikes me as Rick not knowing what to do with the Animal Rights storyline or felt it was too complicated/heavy for the comic and he decided to drop it....
Keene will soon return to his work.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0cZd8XyTfZ0
All Keene needs is some support. Whether his support comes from an unlikely source like King, Bailey, Zack, etc., or from an even more unlikely source like Kitsune, Bahamut, or an as-yet-not-introduced cosmic nerd, (as it's unlikely that there were only three) Keene only needs some support to Charlie Mike.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

rickgriffin wrote:No my question is why does everyone always read a serialized comic like the most recent comic should be read as the conclusion, it must be terribly confusing to think the comic or plot or character arc is ending constantly

Retiring does kinda mean the end of something and he did exclaim it was the point if the dinner, so it isn't far fetched to assume that is the end of the speech. We love to hypothesize about what comes next. It's what we do for fun. Based on historical data, there is about a .2% chance a magical blue griffin will appear and mess up the characters, but the safer bet is to assume there isn't going to be a twist because we can back it up with evidence from past strips. Besides, in practice, reacting like it's always ending isn't confusing due to the power of Doublethink.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Wow.... this plot-line is one of the oldest in house-pets... is it really over? On one hand we have seen him shaken on several occasions for several reasons so its not like its out of character or even out of the blue. but.... wow... Somehow this one really surprises me simply because i didn't expect the story to take this path.
Image Image
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Adoring Fan wrote:Wow.... this plot-line is one of the oldest in house-pets... is it really over? On one hand we have seen him shaken on several occasions for several reasons so its not like its out of character or even out of the blue. but.... wow... Somehow this one really surprises me simply because i didn't expect the story to take this path.
My friend, I sincerely doubt this is over.

Life isn't about the final moments, it's about the journey, it's about process. What makes 'Rocky' work as a movie is seeing him working his way up from the streets to the arena and the fight of his life. You could just show that fight, and it would be great, but seeing that journey illuminates that fight and adds profound meaning to it. J. Michael Straczynski
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/j_m ... traczynski

Keene's still on his journey. It's not the final fight yet.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.
Well said. I like to think I'm normally savvy to that kind of thing myself but I walked right into it this time. Though to be fair, I think some things, like having a page leave us with a character literally announcing he's retiring from his lifelong work, should be particularly expected to cause near-sighted knee-jerk reactions.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:They seem to be jumping to the conclusion that this is a conclusion to Keene's arc, rather than a shift of his focus.
TheSilverFox51 wrote:I think about why Keene is giving up on his pursuit of animal rights? Not too sure myself.

Good points. Now I'm wishing I'd read the whole thread before making my first post today.
Mr. Rick, I've noticed that arc-wise, many of your arcs end with an epilogue, and it's on the epilogue that you place the "END!" box. Usually, the main character of the arc will make a discovery or statement just before the epilogue. This discovery or statement can last for multiple updates, but (in my memory) it usually only lasts one update.
For today's update, it simply seems like a one-update plot-ending update. Without your "treat the punchline as a punchline" statement, I would assume this was the plot-ending update, and then Wednesday's update would be the epilogue. Or, perhaps Wednesday's update would be the plot-ending update, and Friday's update would be the epilogue. Those seem to be your usual ways to end an arc.
For what it's worth, I like the way you end arcs. I enjoyed today's update. (It reminded me of that Simpsons episode I linked to in my earlier post. I'm not expecting Keene to immediately make a triumphant return to comedy equal rights lobbying, but I thought perhaps Wednesday's update could go in a similar direction.) I laughed aloud at the "million dollar" jokes, and I shared the comic with a friend because it made me laugh. Thank you.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

leinglo wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.
Well said. I like to think I'm normally savvy to that kind of thing myself but I walked right into it this time. Though to be fair, I think some things, like having a page leave us with a character literally announcing he's retiring from his lifelong work, should be particularly expected to cause near-sighted knee-jerk reactions.
I may have overstated

I'm not mad people are interpreting what Keene says as meaning what it is

I am annoyed that some people in this thread are using that to make broad sweeping comments about me and my personal judgement before they know exactly how it shakes out, pretending they already know all the details like this is all I'm ever saying on the matter

Of course my judgement has been constantly questioned and prematurely condemned this entire dang arc so I guess I'm just late to the party