Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 191

CyberDragon

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by CyberDragon »

Still though, like most things, if the subject doesn't come up then there isn't really any reason to bring it up for no reason especially if it risks angering people or sparking flame wars. Not everyone listens to a calm explanation of the fandom and it's people. We shouldn't feel like we have to hide it. But again, in a non-furry-majority environment, if there's no reason to bring it up, there's no reason to bring it up.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Yep, sure do consider myself a furry. I was basically a furry in the second grade of elementary school before I even knew the fandom existed.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Can you really say you're a furry at that age? Pretty much everyone loves anthropomorphic animals that young!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Sleet wrote:Can you really say you're a furry at that age? Pretty much everyone loves anthropomorphic animals that young!
Yeah, but I was downright obsessed. I had a cat "fursona" before I even knew what fursonas were and I only watched cartoons with talking animals in them. I pretty much avoided all superhero cartoons except for Swat Kats and Road Rovers and was very obsessed with Tails (Sonic), Timon (Lion King), Pinky (Pinky And The Brain) and Mushu (Mulan) as a kid.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Definitely furry then. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Just thought I'd give this a plug for our newer members. Bump!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I had to smile a little at the exchange between Sleet and CanzetYote. For so many folks, the inclination towards "Furrinity" begins first in a wonder and excitement at the diversity of living things and a mind of identity with them. Probably like many of you, I was a child of anthropomorphic entertainments - Thornton Burgess, Walt Disney, Chuck Jones, Carl Barks (Uncle $crooge), Felix Salten - but also in the company of beasts. I grew up, like Ol' Rufus, around farms and forests. Farmers debated whether animals should or shouldn't be given names, and Protestant dairymen invited the Orthodox priests to bless their bovines. My Irish mother's stories about animals fed these feelings as well (I used to get up Christmas night at midnight because, she assured me, all animals gained the power of speech for one minute ... But the dog and cats were not on speaking terms.) so, it seems to me, there's more spirituality to the furry attitude perhaps than fetishism.

I have no problem with definitions. No one wants to live the Babel of a Humpty-Dumpty world where "When I use a word, it means what want it to mean." Yeah, you can call a brick a pizza, but will you let us watch you eat it? Classifications matter, though, as lens for clarification, not as land mines to barricade a community. DISSENTION's definition spoke my mind because it was clear, concise, open-hearted, and welcoming. It was, for matter, also kind. Like Peanut.

So, I guess I don't know whether or not to call myself a furry, but i have no objection if you do. Regards.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

NHWestoN wrote:Farmers debated whether animals should or shouldn't be given names
Researches show that animals with proper names feel better and produce better and more product than those with numbers.
NHWestoN wrote:(I used to get up Christmas night at midnight because, she assured me, all animals gained the power of speech for one minute ... But the dog and cats were not on speaking terms.)
That's a wonderful tale, tradition (not sure how to call it correctly...), I hope you'll carry that over to your kids. ^^
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
dusk

Post by dusk »

Okay, so, I side with a belief I have noticed is pretty common here. I am a furry, I do suppose. I have a fursona, and enjoy partaking in this place, writing and drawing, etc. However, I keep it contained on the internet. Do I think I am an actual anthropomorphic cat? Heck no. I am a human, who has a hobby/interest in being his avatar online.

I also don't go around screaming I am a furry. In general, I am pretty anti-social, the internet being my place to open up, and the only person who knows about my....furriness? I guess, is a guy named Simon. And you guys, of course. I enjoy being my fursona online, but outside of the internet and conventions, which I really would like to go to, I try to stick to being a human. I also have no real desire to own a fursuit. If I want to wear something, I will make a gray sweatshirt with some stripes and cat ears. Yeah, I'm cheap, I know. ^^' I know I am not the best at explaining, so does that make any sense? I tried...
As I gaze upon the stars, I realize how much I will miss this world.

20-23-5-14-20-25 25-5-1-18-19 8-5 4-9-4 14-15-20 18-5-20-21-18-14,

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... makes sense to me, Jolty. This community is made up, firstly, of folks who enjoy Rick's work and especially Housepets. Not astonishingly, many of them are also into assorted games, arts, internet activities, and ... no surprise ... Furry festivities. Many of the posts and subcommunities reflect these tastes, everything from little number games to spirited debates about the characters, their personality dimensions, predicting plot twists and story trajectories. Sometimes the comments make you think, other times you snort or even snarl a little.

But what' critical is just that, like the comic strip, it's just fun. And if someone feels safe enough or moved enough to open their soul a little, well, all the better for the group thinks I. In an insecure world like ours, that's not a small achievement for a little fan site like this one.

Regards.
dusk

Post by dusk »

Heheh, your just full of insight on me, aren't you? ^^

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

It's actually a running joke in my family that I must be part polar bear or something.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You prefer the cold, I guess?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

also give bone cracking (that's not a metaphor, you can actually hear it) bearhugs.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
dusk

Post by dusk »

I'd like a hug! (Provided it doesn't destroy my internal bone structure/organs!!!!)

*Russian Intensifies*
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

:shock: Well, okay.

So yeah, back on topic, my answer is still the same, but my appreciation for the fandom has grown.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, Render, my kids did grow up with those traditions and a few others, reinforced by my mother. My son, a sensitive and trusting soul, never really put it to the test since we never had more than one dog at a time when he was growing up. When he got older, he even encouraged his younger sisters to believe it, and even lured my youngest daughter up to eavesdrop once or twice. After he left, the animal population in the house grew, including an old tabby and a border collie. Smiley was very protective of "his kitty", to the point where she used a particular sort of yowl that would call him ... always the gentleman, that dog. So, for awhile, my kids began to wonder if maybe our pets did communicate on special occasions.

Too long a story shortened, all three are grown, gone, have pets of their own, and volunteer with local animal shelters and adoption days. I can't say that those little fantasies contributed to their gifts of empathy, Render, but I wouldn't contradict you if you did.

Regards.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Jolty-Kun wrote:I know I am not the best at explaining, so does that make any sense? I tried...
That makes perfectly sense. Pretty similar for me, but just that I'm known as Dingo and a furry in my Minecraft community.
Buster wrote:It's actually a running joke in my family that I must be part polar bear or something.
HAHAHA! :mrgreen:
NHWestoN wrote:Actually, Render, my kids did grow up with those traditions and a few others, reinforced by my mother.
That's lovely. mmm~
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

I am a furry, in which I enjoy the art that a lot of great artists make, though not to the point of wearing a fursuit. I never really got the appeal, but I don't judge.
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I didn't either until I saw a fursuit in person. :3 It's a lot cuter in action!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Many of those fursuits are remarkable in their intricacies and the balance of realistic and cartoony, real specimens of the consumer's genius.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

I guess I am a furry. I dressed as a tiger during Halloween once.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Zesortinge wrote:I guess I am a furry. I dressed as a tiger during Halloween once.
That doesn't automatically make you a furry, yaknow!
HylianMadness

Post by HylianMadness »

I think it's pretty safe to say I'm a furry. I've been an outside observer of the furry fandom for years now, and I just recently decided to become more active in the community. Joining this forum was part of that decision. I don't have a fursona yet; I'd like to get one, though the combined factors of few ideas and not a lot of money have kept me from fulfilling that ambition. Hopefully soon I can commission an artist to help me create my fursona.
Hello.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Anyone notice that on furry boards,that people believe you when you say you're a furry,whereas on other boards they don't seem to?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sorta the opposite on Telegram. :|
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, this is the only board I'm actually active on these days. There were a couple I frequented back in junior high and high school, but that was a long time ago. Can't say I've ever had anyone not believe me when they found out I'm a furry; I imagine it has mostly to do with the fact I don't go out of my way to tell people. If they find out, it's because they see a furry background on my computer or phone, or something along those lines. So either they know what furries are and recognize me as one due to my interest in the art, or they just don't realize at all. Really no room for believing or not believing it.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Foxyfluff wrote:Anyone notice that on furry boards,that people believe you when you say you're a furry,whereas on other boards they don't seem to?
Why would people not believe you? If anything you'd think they'd just make fun of you.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Sleet wrote:
Foxyfluff wrote:Anyone notice that on furry boards,that people believe you when you say you're a furry,whereas on other boards they don't seem to?
Why would people not believe you? If anything you'd think they'd just make fun of you.

Yeah,i think they were playing with me
Drachon

Post by Drachon »

Very much through and through! :D
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thought I might resurrect this given all the new people that have joined.

Remember, the question is DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF a furry? That is, do you identify as a furry? By your own definition are you a furry? We're not setting rules for what constitutes a furry, it's entirely your own choice. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

By all means yes. I love anthro animals, they're the best. And I'm very happy to be a part of this community.
Last edited by FireworkFox on Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Thinking about it a little more, I would say that I am a furry because I am more likely to want to do RPs with anthro characters rather than humans but there has been some exceptions.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I've been a furry for about two years. I got interested in furry art as a younger teen, but at the time I was still cautious of furries as people, so I didn't dare consider myself one. But I was curious, so little by little I explored different parts of the furry community until I found a place that felt right for me. Eventually I was following lots of furries on social media, watching furrry youtube, admiring fursuits, etc. Housepets was a big shift for me because it was the first time I actually interacted with other furries. It's been a nothing but positive experience, so I'm very thankful for it :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its really sad to think when it comes out that many people who are furries will decide to stay closeted and not act on their feelings because of the perception that furries tend to be crazy and disturbed. :roll:
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I don't think I'd really call myself a furry. Or that I'd really call myself not one.
My worldview might have the occasional similarity to a furry one, but only in the same way it also has the odd similarity to the worldviews of "normal" people... oh no I think I just said a dirty word. :o :P

I take ideas that I think look like good ideas from people and groups all over the spectrum of what can broadly be called people, hopefully without prejudice, and I combine them with my own ideas, hopefully also good ones, to make this composite being that can only really be called "me". If I were to call myself part of one group or another, to my mind that would be like saying that those parts of my worldview are more important than the rest. So I can't really do that. ;)

I abstain from voting though, 'cause I think a straight "no" would look too much like a rejection of those parts of my worldview. My opinion, if there were an option to choose it, would be that this isn't a "yes or no" question.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

My answer is, and probably always will be, no; though my furry friends would try to convince you otherwise.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It really is a preference of how you want to label yourself. Some people don't like to give themselves label. I tend to do it though.

All. The. Dang. Time.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

tbh I don't know
B.E.A.R. PMC
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Not until I've missed shaving for at least a month.... ;)