One Piece is 80% done according to Eiichiro Oda?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

kullboys

One Piece is 80% done according to Eiichiro Oda?

Post by kullboys »

https://kotaku.com/the-one-piece-manga- ... 1827796353

What are your thoughts on this?

In your opinion... how many years do you think One Piece has left?
Buster
Game Master

Re: One Piece is 80% done according to Eiichiro Oda?

Post by Buster »

It probably won't be a popular one, but my opinion would be something along the lines of "why is that dumb thing still alive?" Pirates and anime seemed like a stupid combination in the 90s, and still does now.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'm of the opinion that it had no real reason to continue existing up until the point it has, much less continue for however long that final 20% will take to complete. I never watched it a huge amount, but it's the same deal as with Naruto for me. I watched Naruto (and read the manga) a ton back when it first came over to the US, but after a certain amount of time every series starts to drag. I stopped watching Naruto in 2007 (about 30 episodes into Shippuuden), and stopped reading the manga a few years later. It just seemed like it'd lost its direction; only continuing on because it was popular enough to justify it, rather than because there was actually more story to tell.

And One Piece is in the same boat. They just need to let that series die. It's been on life support for years already.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

kullboys wrote:https://kotaku.com/the-one-piece-manga- ... 1827796353

What are your thoughts on this?

In your opinion... how many years do you think One Piece has left?
I actually did the math on that, if 20 years gets us 80% then 5 years should get the last 20%

on the subject of it dragging, I disagree. unlike Naruto and Bleach which had shifting goalposts and no one end game thing (other than Naruto being Hokage, but none of his missions directly got him closer to that goal), One Piece has always had one final goal that is consistently having progress made towards it (the one piece, duh) and a few subplots (the shichibukai and Yonku who would obviously always oppose Luffy succeeding in becoming king). and the reason is that Oda has had the whole thing planned out at least loosely from the beginning.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The anime drags it out at times, but the manga keeps it going consistantly. And the story is actually very engaging.

the key thing about One Piece is it does pile up as the story moves along. The big mysteries that were there since the beginning are still a mystery, but the build-up is there. I'm anxious to see how Oda plans on ending this. The recent arcs have been very big on showing us where this is going.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

GameCobra wrote:The anime drags it out at times, but the manga keeps it going consistantly. And the story is actually very engaging.
yeah, I recommend the manga cause the longer it goes the more the anime will drag because they have to stall until the manga finishes its current storyline. Filler is Killer
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Well, at least Super Sentai changes the world, characters, teams, themes, zords and more each season. Pirates just happened to be the 35th sentai theme. No bonus for assuming that's my inspiration.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587