Housepets! The Card Game!

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

D-Rock

Re: Housepets! The Card Game!

Post by D-Rock »

Mod Cards!
Some images I had to edit from the comic, some I was very fortunate to find images ready to use, but had to color most of them. Or I got lazy and used a different image entirely, as was the case with Rick's card.

Obbl doesn't have a character or fursona, so his had to be left blank.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Are we going to get an icon for the rest of the animals? I would do it myself but I don't even know where to look.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I don't know if I will, I might, I remember it was rather tedious due to their size. What I did was sketch out the image, line it in an art program in any random color, fill it in black, remove the original lines. The fill is what I use.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, that sounds super complicated. How about one symbol just for misc animals?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I guess that works.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Render suggested these.
ImageImage
He gave me two variants, decided to do both.

Still working on more of those black cards, and also haven't tried making a new species icon for the misc. other species there are. Honestly thinking of calling it "critter." :|
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

More black cards!
Fixed the Rocky card, Obbl suggested I go with this image. A few of these people are more active on the Discord.

Still want to make more of these before taking a break.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

D-Rock wrote:Render suggested these.
ImageImage
He gave me two variants, decided to do both.
YEAH! :mrgreen:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

D-Rock wrote:Looking at the description of Divine intervention, that is a pretty high-risk card. You could take a lot of damage if the opponent was able to get rid of them.
Of the three cards I gave that one the most thought (and I admit it could still do with a hit from the balance wrench). My thought process was celestials should have a card to summon them in addition to normal summoning as they "live" quite far away from the rest of the cast. I decided to follow how they worked in Temple Crashers 2: they appear, help out (or not) and then leave. Summining up to five characters seemed too powerful so I decided Cerb would not be happy and would do this to you if one of the souls you borrowed ended up in Pandemonium so you'd take 3 damage for each one destroyed at the time they were to return (she wouldn't know until they didn't return). I still wasn't happy with it so I decided to tie the punishment with how strong the card is to make what you summon more of an interesting choice. You could summon Pete, Dragon, Great Kitsune, and Tiger-Res (Celestial) and hope they don't get Kwanged or you could just summon Spring and Summer so even if they get defeated that will deal 3 damage to you but have prevented 6 each. I wanted to make it so the damage wouldn't be dealt if the characters were replaced with another via a promotion (Kid-sune being discarded for Great Kitsune) or your opponent played Gates To Mortality, but I couldn't come up with a wording for that that was organic and concise so I went with what I did. Anyways, I apologize if my inane rambling comes of as inane ramble.

Cards:
I'm suggesting new cards in groups of three so when I'm able to make the images I can edit them into the posts; continuity is maintained, no double posting, it should work out. That is not to say I don't want other people turning my ideas into real cards. I don't want to deal with the hassle of using a third-party image hosting site, but if people are willing to host my cards perhaps I should suggest more at a time.
"Name; Source image; tags; effect; flavor text."
1. Stranger; Ten Gallons Of Tailwhipping In A Five Gallon Can panel 6; Human-Effect 3att/2hp; On your attack phase you may forfeit this character's attack to defeat a character; I got catnip if you want
2. Celebrity Rescue; Craving A Raving panel 1; Assist; Return a Ferret from your discard to your hand and shuffle a Ferret that was removed from play back into your deck; . . . I need to make a phone call
3. Milton Manor; First Things First panel 3; Field; Every other time you play a Ferret, draw a card; Why is it only a middle-class neighborhood, and this place is incredibly lavish?

Questions:
1. This probably should've been my first question on my previous post, but what is the best way I can help out and contribute?
2. Do attacking characters get damaged (ie. If I have my Joel attack your Joel, do both get defeated?)
3. follow-up, if they do and they puts them below 0, do you take damage (ie. in the above situation, do both players take one damage)?
4. Is there a limit to how many of the same card can be in your deck?
5. Are you using the "one normal summon per turn" rule from YuGiOh?
The cape comes with the promotion.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

It's possible to host pictures from your google photos account.

There's a web app for it here.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Champion Wallace wrote: Questions:
1. This probably should've been my first question on my previous post, but what is the best way I can help out and contribute?
Really, just keep doing what you're doing. This is still a "for the heck of it" type thing.
2. Do attacking characters get damaged (ie. If I have my Joel attack your Joel, do both get defeated?)
No, barring card effects that cause both to receive damage. Been thinking of a card that does so, but that's a VERY long time before I get to it.
3. follow-up, if they do and they puts them below 0, do you take damage (ie. in the above situation, do both players take one damage)?
Barring card effects, as listed in the rules in the first post download, Battle damage is calculated by the Attack power of the card and the remaining health of the target. 5-Attack hits a card with 2-Health, Battle damage is -3.
4. Is there a limit to how many of the same card can be in your deck?
Initially at three, barring specific cards. I liked the Valadirian Ronin Kitsune effect, where you can have up to nine, and the extras can be discarded for additional attacks. Just remember that the larger your deck, the harder it is to draw the cards you'll be wanting.
Yes, I am.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

broken.png
broken.png (141.05 KiB) Viewed 15406 times
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Yes, I am.
Wait, is that wise? A lot of these character cards do not have a lot of health and most of them have attacks that are equal or stronger than the cards health. Even with trick and assist cards it will just mostly be summon, destroy, summon, destroy over and over. The odds of having multiple character cards on the field at once are very slim. That makes it harder for cards that require sacrifice or another card on the field to be played. That rule worked for YuGiOh but that game is completely different as far as the character's stats. I created my cards on the assumption that we weren't using that rule which is why so many have low equal stats.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here they are
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Would Jack and Peanut count as a Peanut card for effects purposes like summoning Granut or playing (Not So) Secret Crush?

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bandit1990 wrote:Would Jack and Peanut count as a Peanut card for effects purposes like summoning Granut or playing (Not So) Secret Crush?
Don’t know about the first because Fusions aren’t mine but technically the second would work since this card counts as a Peanut.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, that's an awesome card, Buster. Definitely earns the name of "broken." :lol:

Nice cards, Fenrir, and admittedly, that would be an issue with the current set. I don't recall, as it's been years, but can monsters in Yugioh attack the turn that they're summoned?

Also, when you made cards with multiple characters on them, the idea of them being affected by relevant cards did come to mind, even in regards to fusions. Could be interesting to see that.

Also, before I take a break on these cards, made one more set, featuring Krytus, Jolty, and Buster's characters.
Every time I do something like this, I realize that I'm surrounded by cat characters. :shock:
I also made a really sizable list of cards, but they'll have to wait.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:Alright, that's an awesome card, Buster. Definitely earns the name of "broken." :lol:

Nice cards, Fenrir, and admittedly, that would be an issue with the current set. I don't recall, as it's been years, but can monsters in Yugioh attack the turn that they're summoned?
To answer you question, they cannot attack on the first players first turn but they can attack as soon as they are summoned from the opponents first turn and every turn afterward.

Here is my card.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wow, that's a neat card!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so, i tried to improve the card templates somewhat.
if you're wondering what the new symbols are, they're to indicate the Mana (the egg) Supplies (the daimond) and Field requirements for playing the card, along side a newtemplate for Mana Source cards, Supply Source cards,and Field cards. basically implementing a variant of MTG 'land' logic since yugioh logic was causing headaches for some. also incorporated a simplified version of the Pact cards into the main template.
Attachments
Card Templates.png
Card Templates.png (77.69 KiB) Viewed 15332 times
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wow, these are pretty cool! Only played a few games of MTG, but I found the mana system at least kinda interesting.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, in this case you'd only have two resources to keep track of instead of five.
Champion Wallace

Bandit1990 wrote:It's possible to host pictures from your google photos account.

There's a web app for it here.
Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately for this situation I don't use google photos so that doesn't help me.
fenrirblack wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:5. Are you using the "one normal summon per turn" rule from YuGiOh?
Yes, I am.
Wait, is that wise? A lot of these character cards do not have a lot of health and most of them have attacks that are equal or stronger than the cards health. Even with trick and assist cards it will just mostly be summon, destroy, summon, destroy over and over. The odds of having multiple character cards on the field at once are very slim. That makes it harder for cards that require sacrifice or another card on the field to be played. That rule worked for YuGiOh but that game is completely different as far as the character's stats. I created my cards on the assumption that we weren't using that rule which is why so many have low equal stats.
In YuGiOh you could only normal summon, tribute summon, or set once per turn, but there was no limit on special summons (if you had the cards for it). Using our cards for an example, if you had both in your hand then you could normal summon a "Satau" and then special summon a "Satau (Avatar)" (only needing a specific field card doesn't feel special enough to not count as a normal summon, but where the line is drawn is up for debate). Additionally, all of the cards that require two characters to be discarded (except "Spot (Superdog) Peanut") can take from your had as well as your field. In YuGiOh, cards not retaining how much damage had been done to them combined with cards often having a higher power in defense position then attack position allowed players to keep monsters on their field longer.
D-Rock wrote:Nice cards, Fenrir, and admittedly, that would be an issue with the current set. I don't recall, as it's been years, but can monsters in Yugioh attack the turn that they're summoned?
You could attack the same turn you played a card unless it was the very first turn of the game or you played the card face down. You also couldn't attack with a card if you planned on ending your turn with it in defense position. In Duel Masters (the card game nobody else has heard of) there is a mechanic called "summoning sickness" where creatures couldn't attack the turn they're summoned.
Buster wrote:if you're wondering what the new symbols are, they're to indicate the Mana (the egg) Supplies (the daimond) and Field requirements for playing the card, along side a newtemplate for Mana Source cards, Supply Source cards,and Field cards. basically implementing a variant of MTG 'land' logic
I would like to preface this response by saying no one should be faulted for putting forth ideas and a free flow of brainstorms is the best way to create the best cards and rulesets that we can. Now that that is out of the way, I am very against the idea to implement Mana and Supplies. First of all, nearly every card game commercially made had copied MTG's land system in some form or another; it was refreshing to have something different. Secondly, a change like this would require involved changes to nearly every card already created; not only would every card would need to be assigned a mana cost, it's likely some groups of cards would have too similar power levels so stats and effects would be adjusted so every archetype would have more of a range of costs and power (not that all archetype should have the same range, it just wouldn't do well for example if every Wild Cat used 5 supplies). Thirdly, mana curves have a large inherent first turn advantage that is very tricky to fix with other systems without either coming up short or accidentally creating a second turn advantage. Forth, from a balance perspective, only two t resources would be very difficult to design around. In Magic, each color was slightly themed to a different kind of strategy and there a kind of rock-paper-scisers-lizard-spok effect that prevented any one color from becoming too overpowered; two resources doesn't have the space for that. Of the fifteen one and two color combinations, it was ok if some were weaker then the rest as long as at the top there was enough verity left; With only two resources both would need to be balanced fairly close to each other. In practice, having two resources might end up adding complexity without depth. Multi-colored decks traded consistency for versatility; using all five colors wasn't viable, but two colors was so its possible people would always run both Mana and Supplies. Basically, two resources is either too few or two many. Lastly, so far the HP! card game doesn't need a land system; one of the main reason MTG and its derivatives have lands is to separate the good and the bad cards into mixed groups. Players couldn't just use the best cards printed because they would be different colors, opening design space for cards that weren't perfectly balanced because a card could be below average, but see play because it was in a color with an above average card. This card game already has that functionality with its many card synergies; for example, "Rawhide Bone" and "Milton's Inheritance" are both powerful cards, but they can only be played in a dog and ferret deck respectively. Your suggestion wasn't all bad. Cards that require a specific field to be in effect are prevalent enough that I like your idea to have a designated "field" symbol on character cards that can only be summoned when a specific field is in play.

Cards:
"Name; Source image; tags; effect; flavor text."
1. Look Ma, No Hands; Use The Fours panel 4; Assist; Can only be played when THE GALLIFRAX PROTOCOL field card is active. For every Trick, Equip, and Continuous card on your opponent's field, flip a coin. if heads, that card is destroyed; I think you're missing the basic premise here
2. Director Rock; Funning Learntime panel 4; Ferret-Special-Effect 4att/4hp; Can only be summoned by discarding a Rock card from the field. At the end of your turn you may summon a character from your deck, provided any special summoning requirements are met; You're bubbly and cute--how'd you like to be on TV?
3. Living on the Wild Side; Key Phrase panel 4 if you're a photoshop god, The Hills Have Eyes panel 2 if you're a mortal; Field; At the start of your turn you may forfeit your draw to give a Wild Cat +3 attack and health; It's a common myth that the feral life is nobler and grander then one within the human world

Suggestions:
This game is shaping up to be very combo and synergy based. For this to work as intended, in practice players need to be able to set up strategies and have a fine balance between cards lasting and cards getting removed from the field. However, speeding up the game so someone will win after a few turns doesn't lend well to an enjoyable experience. (I'm not saying that any or all of these suggestions should be implemented, I'm just saying they are options I could think of that address Fenrir's concerns about cards not lasting on the field)
1. Implement summoning sickness. Characters will generally last in play for an extra turn, but going first becomes more advantageous and instant removal is more important.
2. Double the health of all existing and future characters. Almost all the images are hosted by just two people, but its still a lot of work. It's hard to judge by what factor hp should be buffed by and if we change our mind that would entail changing all the pictures again.
3. Make more cards that can sacrifice cards from your hand or possibly deck in addition to from the field. Consistency would increase, but basic cards would see less play, it's possible it only redresses the problem with higher power level cards, and it would likely speed up the game.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Clearly y'all are putting a lot more thought than I've been into this. :shock:
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

yeah no kidding. I was planning on adding somethings but now I'm not so sure how to go about it.

also contracts don't really have a cost unless their mortal pacts they kinda sit there at the beginning of the game providing support through their abilities or buffs

speaking of contracts I was planning on making an infernal contract boss card. Like if this were translated into an anime/cartoon the main villain of the story would be using this card but as i said I'm not sure how to contribute anymore since its a little more complex that how it started, but just for the fun of it I'll leave the card details below

Card name: Fenrir, Herald of Ragnarok (Bound)

Abilities: Your deck must only be comprised of creature cards
when a creature you control is destroyed instead of moving it to the graveyard place it underneath this card
when your life hits 0 regain 5 life, flip this card and place it into your creature zone

Card name: Fenrir, Herald of Ragnarok (unleashed)

Stats: X attack
X health

Abilities: Fenrir, Herald of Ragnarok's attack and health is equal to all creature cards placed underneath this card
Fenrir, Herald of Ragnarok gains the abilities of all cards underneath it but may only activate one per turn
You cannot summon any other creatures
if Fenrir, Herald of Ragnarok is destroyed remove a card from underneath it and return it to the battlefield
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:Wow, these are pretty cool! Only played a few games of MTG, but I found the mana system at least kinda interesting.
I never played or even pretended to know any about Magic the Gathering so this is completely lost on me.
Champion Wallace wrote: Suggestions:
This game is shaping up to be very combo and synergy based. For this to work as intended, in practice players need to be able to set up strategies and have a fine balance between cards lasting and cards getting removed from the field. However, speeding up the game so someone will win after a few turns doesn't lend well to an enjoyable experience. (I'm not saying that any or all of these suggestions should be implemented, I'm just saying they are options I could think of that address Fenrir's concerns about cards not lasting on the field)
1. Implement summoning sickness. Characters will generally last in play for an extra turn, but going first becomes more advantageous and instant removal is more important.
2. Double the health of all existing and future characters. Almost all the images are hosted by just two people, but its still a lot of work. It's hard to judge by what factor hp should be buffed by and if we change our mind that would entail changing all the pictures again.
3. Make more cards that can sacrifice cards from your hand or possibly deck in addition to from the field. Consistency would increase, but basic cards would see less play, it's possible it only redresses the problem with higher power level cards, and it would likely speed up the game.
I agree with Wallace that we need to update the health system. But before we do anything we need to really iron out the details of the rule system. People are suggesting adding a lot more layers to the game which is fine to a certain extent. I don't want this turning into a complicated mess so I do not want to include to many new features. That being said I did not understand anything about the "mana" or all those other things. But I do agree that it would not hurt to add something to the game to give it a more unique spin and distance it from Yugioh. But that might have to wait. Yugioh is constantly adding new types of summoning like Syncro, Pendulum, and XYZ and whatever they use in V-Rains so there is time for updates later.
We need to decide before we do anything else if we want to continue using the card format we are currently using or change it to match a new rule set. One rule being the one summon per turn rule which as I have stated I do not agree with. I never liked it for Yugioh and never used it for my own card game. But if that is what you guys decide to go with then I will bow to the majority.

Anyway here are the cards.
Image Image Image
D-Rock wrote:Clearly y'all are putting a lot more thought than I've been into this. :shock:
Card games have always been a hobby of mine.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You know, Krytus, I was thinking something like those broken contract cards for a GBA-styled Yugioh game. Played two of them, kinda fun. Play as a new character getting involved in the story in his own way.

Basic gist of the Mana system is that they are a sort of "summon pool." Every creature and I think "spell" card had a cost, and you needed to lay down these mana as you get them to be able to summon better cards with higher cost. Correct me, but I believe you could summon as much as you had mana for. You can't use the same mana card twice in a turn.

Making it so that no character can attack the turn their summoned could work, as well as buffing health, I think.

Also had this super basic idea for a playmat. Feel free to come up with something else. Again, really, just Yugioh, but added in a space for contracts.
playmatidea1.png
playmatidea1.png (94.23 KiB) Viewed 15263 times
And just came up with this; health and attack tokens. Gold for when they exceed their caps due to card effects, red for debuffs and damage.
attackhealthtokens.png
attackhealthtokens.png (2.85 KiB) Viewed 15257 times
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:You know, Krytus, I was thinking something like those broken contract cards for a GBA-styled Yugioh game. Played two of them, kinda fun. Play as a new character getting involved in the story in his own way.

Basic gist of the Mana system is that they are a sort of "summon pool." Every creature and I think "spell" card had a cost, and you needed to lay down these mana as you get them to be able to summon better cards with higher cost. Correct me, but I believe you could summon as much as you had mana for. You can't use the same mana card twice in a turn.

Making it so that no character can attack the turn their summoned could work, as well as buffing health, I think.
You need to explain how contracts work.
Also I still don't like the idea of the Mana system as it overcomplicates things like I stated previously.
I don't think keeping cards from attacking is the best idea. We should keep the normal Yugioh attacking rules.
Let's play this out. I summon a card. You summon a card. I summon another card and the first card attacks and destroys the opponent's card. They summon a new card but it can't attack. I summon another card and the two cards there attack destroying that card. There is no way for the second player to really defend themselves as well. Plus it will exponentially increase the length of the game. I've never heard of a game that doesn't allow cards to attack on the turn they are summoned except like special summons. Buffing the health should be enough to limit the cards destruction each turn.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Contracts will vary, according to what Krytus said. Some are passive, others are more involved.

I am still not sure on the mana system, just explaining the basic premise of it. What little of MTG I played had it as a type of inventory management.

A card that can't attack but had a massive amount of health is on my current list of cards, could be a special type of tank. Don't know how much health.
Champion Wallace

D-Rock wrote:Clearly y'all are putting a lot more thought than I've been into this. :shock:
Guilty awesome as charged.
fenrirblack wrote:I agree with Wallace that we need to update the health system. But before we do anything we need to really iron out the details of the rule system. People are suggesting adding a lot more layers to the game which is fine to a certain extent. I don't want this turning into a complicated mess so I do not want to include to many new features. That being said I did not understand anything about the "mana" or all those other things. But I do agree that it would not hurt to add something to the game to give it a more unique spin and distance it from Yugioh. But that might have to wait. Yugioh is constantly adding new types of summoning like Syncro, Pendulum, and XYZ and whatever they use in V-Rains so there is time for updates later.
We need to decide before we do anything else if we want to continue using the card format we are currently using or change it to match a new rule set. One rule being the one summon per turn rule which as I have stated I do not agree with. I never liked it for Yugioh and never used it for my own card game. But if that is what you guys decide to go with then I will bow to the majority.
I agree with Fenrir about polishing up existing mechanics before expanding with new mechanics. When making any game, it is important to prioritize creating the MVP (Minimum Viable Product (creating just enough of each part so a you get a playable version as soon as possible)). Our first goal was to create a large enough, varied card list. At this point I think the best course of action would be to take the cards and rules we have established and playtest it. A lot. The theory doesn't always translate into practice. If some cards/strategies are demonstrably stronger or weaker then everything else or games don't play how we intended then it is important we figure that out soon so we can fix it. Unfortunately, for me there isn't really anyone I could use as a guinea pig for this and you can't play a card game by yourself. I second Fenrir's vote to not use the "one summon per turn rule". At this point "because YuGiOh did it" isn't a good enough reason when we have cards *coughferretscough* that use the strategy of weak, but plentiful characters.
D-Rock wrote:...Basic gist of the Mana system is that they are a sort of "summon pool." Every creature and I think "spell" card had a cost, and you needed to lay down these mana as you get them to be able to summon better cards with higher cost. Correct me, but I believe you could summon as much as you had mana for. You can't use the same mana card twice in a turn....Also had this super basic idea for a playmat. Feel free to come up with something else. Again, really, just Yugioh, but added in a space for contracts...And just came up with this; health and attack tokens. Gold for when they exceed their caps due to card effects, red for debuffs and damage.
Your description of Mana is so rough it almost pains me to read, but it's probably the best explanation for the situation because I know that if I tried to explain it I would definitely sound like Joey's creepy friends. In regards to the playmate, is the helper zone the same as the spell & trap zone or is it like the bench from Pokémon? I think you should add a space for cards that had been "removed from play" like from Henry Milton's effect. I really like how the tokens turned out.
fenrirblack wrote:I don't think keeping cards from attacking is the best idea. We should keep the normal Yugioh attacking rules.
Let's play this out. I summon a card. You summon a card. I summon another card and the first card attacks and destroys the opponent's card. They summon a new card but it can't attack. I summon another card and the two cards there attack destroying that card. There is no way for the second player to really defend themselves as well. Plus it will exponentially increase the length of the game. I've never heard of a game that doesn't allow cards to attack on the turn they are summoned except like special summons. Buffing the health should be enough to limit the cards destruction each turn.
We could mess around with it like have summoning sickness last for an extra turn for cards played on the first turn of the game. However, now that I'm thinking about it more that mechanic was designed for games with mana and wouldn't be applicable for a card game like ours. In Magic and its derivatives it works because you have more mana each turn so the creatures you summon are incrementally better every turn so the creature you play one turn is slightly stronger then your opponents creatures, but you can't attack with it until they played a creature that's even stronger.

Cards:
It seems like we are going to buff the health of all the cards, but we haven't agreed yet by how much or in what way we are buffing health so I'm basing the stats of these on how cards are now.
"Name; Source image; tags; effect; flavor text"
1. Spendthrift Pit; First Things First panel 4; Ferret-Effect 5att/5hp; At the end of your turn, discard a card; Check out this jacket! IT IS MADE OF DIMONDS!
2. Neighborhood Dogs; It’s A Dog Thing (or the REFOOT version) panel 3; Dog-Special-Effect 6att/6hp; Can only be summoned by discarding two Dog cards from the field. Has +2 attack and health if there is a Fido card on either field; I was under the assumption we divide everything by seven
3. Neighborhood Cats; Cat’s Out Of The Bag panel 4; Cat-Special-Effect 6att/6hp; Can only be summoned by discarding two Cat cards from the field. Has +2 attack and health if there is a Jata card on either field; WHO is THAT GUY?!

Suggestions:
1. I think it might be prudent to assign someone to be the director. Having someone in charge could help things run efficiently and prevent the game from being stretched in too many directions. Not everyone can get their way and deciding what is best for the game require a bigger-picture view of how all the cards and rules should and do interact. Obvious candidates would be D-Rock because the card game was his idea or fenrirblack because he is the most involved. With how small a "team" we have this might not be nessisary, but it's something to think about.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

technically yugioh had a vague analog to the mana system already. they had a sort of 'rank' system. you could only play low-tier monsters for free and had to sacrifice a number of low tier tier monsters to summon the higher tier ones based on the number of little sphere thingies just below the card's title box. in essence your weak units were your manapool.

or at least that's how it worked before i gave up on it because the convoluted alternate summoning methods starting to build up were making my head hurt.
fenrirblack wrote:I don't think keeping cards from attacking is the best idea. We should keep the normal Yugioh attacking rules.
all of the games i've played that had summoning sickness or a varant there of also allowed multiple summons and the defending unit to do damage back, so that someone trying to use the strategy you just described risks destroying their own unit in the process and has no guarantee the other side can't just fill the field with units on the next turn.
D-Rock wrote:Also had this super basic idea for a playmat. Feel free to come up with something else. Again, really, just Yugioh, but added in a space for contracts.
playmatidea1.png
since the fusions are a sort of 'side deck' for summons while the contract is a spot to play a special card, shouldn't they be the other way around?
Champion Wallace wrote:Your description of Mana is so rough it almost pains me to read, but it's probably the best explanation for the situation because I know that if I tried to explain it I would definitely sound like Joey's creepy friends. In regards to the playmate, is the helper zone the same as the spell & trap zone or is it like the bench from Pokémon?
Given rocky's tendency to amalgamate multiple things in one, i believe the correct answer is "yes".
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

So, who is eligible for a card to be made of their character?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote: I agree with Fenrir about polishing up existing mechanics before expanding with new mechanics. When making any game, it is important to prioritize creating the MVP (Minimum Viable Product (creating just enough of each part so a you get a playable version as soon as possible)). Our first goal was to create a large enough, varied card list. At this point I think the best course of action would be to take the cards and rules we have established and playtest it. A lot. The theory doesn't always translate into practice. If some cards/strategies are demonstrably stronger or weaker then everything else or games don't play how we intended then it is important we figure that out soon so we can fix it. Unfortunately, for me there isn't really anyone I could use as a guinea pig for this and you can't play a card game by yourself. I second Fenrir's vote to not use the "one summon per turn rule". At this point "because YuGiOh did it" isn't a good enough reason when we have cards *coughferretscough* that use the strategy of weak, but plentiful characters.
Playing against yourself actually works fine. I've played against myself for years and it does allow for testing new mechanics.
Champion Wallace wrote:Your description of Mana is so rough it almost pains me to read, but it's probably the best explanation for the situation because I know that if I tried to explain it I would definitely sound like Joey's creepy friends. In regards to the playmate, is the helper zone the same as the spell & trap zone or is it like the bench from Pokémon? I think you should add a space for cards that had been "removed from play" like from Henry Milton's effect. I really like how the tokens turned out.
I believe that the helper section is for the assist and trick cards.
Champion Wallace wrote: Suggestions:
1. I think it might be prudent to assign someone to be the director. Having someone in charge could help things run efficiently and prevent the game from being stretched in too many directions. Not everyone can get their way and deciding what is best for the game require a bigger-picture view of how all the cards and rules should and do interact. Obvious candidates would be D-Rock because the card game was his idea or fenrirblack because he is the most involved. With how small a "team" we have this might not be nessisary, but it's something to think about.
I agree that we need a director and direction. I think that D-Rock should remain in charge because this is his game. It was his idea. He should have final say on the rules and mechanics. If he doesn't want to be in charge then I will take over if needed.

Until then I want to suggest how we can buffer the health. I was thinking just adding +3 health to all existing and future cards. I think that should be enough to add a decent buffer without overdoing it. Even basic Pokemon cards have 60 HP which translates to 6 for our game.
Douglas Collier wrote:So, who is eligible for a card to be made of their character?
Anyone can make a character card. Or any card for that matter. Just use the format D-Rock created.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I did consider making a "removed from play" zone, but omitted it. It would have gone above where Contract currently is, but I feel that having it right next to the Discard pile could eventually be confusing.
Regarding the switching of the Contract and Fusion deck, I think that works, honestly. Two cards on one side having passive effects makes sense to me.
And yeah, the Helper area is for the Trap/Magic equivalents. I was tired when making this mat and gave them the wrong label.

And anyone is "eligible" for cards. You're also free to make your own. I just wanted a break after that last batch. The first were the Forum Mods, second was the current members of Team Babylon+Discord-exclusive Mod, last were who I consider friends of mine. I was planning to continue onto other forum members if they so wished, but again, break.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Image Image Image

I think that 6 should be a good base for health except for bird type cards or puppy cards which should be 4. My thoughts are for base health by speicies Cats =6, Dogs =7, Wolves (Adult)= 8, Wolves (Cubs)= 7, Fox= 7, Possum= 7, Human= 9, Ferrets =6, Wild Cat= 9. Is that good or should they be higher? They still vary by card and character. I already changed a few.

Here is a fun tidbit of information for those of you who are curious. IF you wanted physical prints of the cards it would cost $181.86 on Shutterfly right now. That is 254 cards (this does not include contracts and a few others). AND you would get FOUR copies of each card. That's 1016 cards. They would be the size of a regular trading card.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Not sure on those bases. See how it goes, regardless.

Also, decided since I had the image, made a new fusion card.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:Not sure on those bases. See how it goes, regardless]
Okay, what do you think then? The characters health are too low but I don’t know by how much to increase them.
What does everyone think? I upped Joey and friends to 6 because you know they’re nerds.
How about this, here is a list of each basic character’s new theoretical health. Tell me which ones are alright and which ones need to be changed and if possible how much.
Peanut=7
Grape=6
Ferrets=5
Jata=9
Zach=6
Ralph=7
King=6
Fox=7
Bailey=7
Bill=10
Thomas & Mr. Steward= 6
Fido= 7
Miles=9
Gale=9
Kevin=8
Joel=7
Sandwiches=8
Res=6
Bino=6
Tiger=6
Marvin=6
Karishad=7
Lucretia=8
Jack=6
Poncho=7
Cubs=7
Jessica=6
Boris & Yeltin=7
Rex=8
Mungo=9
Cory=5
Pueblo=5
Steve=5
Kix=7
Draig and Craig=5
Daisy, Sasha & Duchess=6
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Had an idea

Texhoutil
Atk 1
Hp -1

Texhoutil can only do damage to players. Instead of taking damage other animals are returned to their owners hand. Damage does not destroy texhoutil. If texhoutil does not attack every turn destroy texhoutil and apply all accumulated damage to the player controlling him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

You could add the Infernals (Eudoant, Dino-Demon, The Forgotten) to the same devastating category as Texhoutil if you wanted to expand the group, Buster.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

his HP starts at negative one to ensure he does atleast one damage to his owner.