2018/08/20 - Friends With Benefit Of The Doubt

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/08/20 - Friends With Benefit Of The Doubt

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/08/20 - Friends With Benefit Of The Doubt]
Title Text: wait which one of these is Fox

Place your bets, how is this situation going to get worse?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CyberDragon

Re: 2018/08/20 - Friends With Benefit Of The Doubt

Post by CyberDragon »

Maybe it was a friendly greeting. Ever seen Calvin and Hobbes?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Wait, which one of these is Fox?
The cougar cub of course. :P
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Sneak Pueblo is sneaky, like Metal Gear level of sneaky
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

D-Rock wrote:[2018/08/20 - Friends With Benefit Of The Doubt]
Title Text: wait which one of these is Fox

Place your bets, how is this situation going to get worse?
Skip the eagle is going to snatch Pueblo away because there aren't any Eagle Scouts watching the sky.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ugg, I was afraid this would happen. Instead of just elaborating on the history between Gale and the Wolves we’re going to have to jump through more hoops. I was hoping the cutting her down would take place off screen and we can move along to the long overdue talk where the #1 mystery would be solved: “What happened between Gale and the Wolves that created so much animosity?”

Even for alt-text that was super random. :?:
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

They’d need a yellow bandana or K-9 uniform and a bad attitude towards a certain cat lover to be Fox.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:Ugg, I was afraid this would happen. Instead of just elaborating on the history between Gale and the Wolves we’re going to have to jump through more hoops. I was hoping the cutting her down would take place off screen and we can move along to the long overdue talk where the #1 mystery would be solved: “What happened between Gale and the Wolves that created so much animosity?”
Because we're not allowed to enjoy the journey on the way there?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen cougar?
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Obbl wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Ugg, I was afraid this would happen. Instead of just elaborating on the history between Gale and the Wolves we’re going to have to jump through more hoops. I was hoping the cutting her down would take place off screen and we can move along to the long overdue talk where the #1 mystery would be solved: “What happened between Gale and the Wolves that created so much animosity?”
Because we're not allowed to enjoy the journey on the way there?
This journey has taken all summer and I’m tired of coming up with new theories and putting the pieces together. I have put more thought into this chapter than my own writing.
Champion Wallace

when I first saw this strip my eyes wandered to the top of the third panel and I thought it was going to be a flashback even farther back to one of the older wolfs rescuing a cub Gale from a tree like a housecoat. Apparently it was not meant to be. The cougar tool use list now includes sharp rocks. A tool, for once, I can totally see a wild animal having access to.
Douglas Collier wrote:They’d need a yellow bandana or K-9 uniform and a bad attitude towards a certain cat lover to be Fox.
Fox doesn't just dislike a certain cat lover. He despises the idea of a dog loving a cat in general.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's called "build-up." Wouldn't be much fun if we didn't stop to consider stakes on the journey to the end.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Whilst they talk, out of the box
(and the alt asks which is Fox)
they don’t see the Cub in the tree
about to drop his mom on her head
in order to set her free.
A rescue plan made of brilliance;
the scene is now quite intense
as Pueblo comes to her aid
on his survival report card
he’ll get an ‘A’ grade
As the Wolves argue and fight,
will the cub stay out of sight?
Will Gale talk to Poncho
or pit the pair up as she goes
to Miles, head Honcho?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:
It's called "build-up." Wouldn't be much fun if we didn't stop to consider stakes on the journey to the end.
Fine then we can add “friend of the family or was” to the elaborate build-up that is an over complex puzzle where half the pieces don’t exist.

So let’s examine this new piece then. Depending on Poncho’s meaning of the sentence it could mean that 1) he is surprised to see Gale have so much Anamosity towards them or 2) he isn’t surprised and knows about the history between the wolves and Gale. Something that right now only three people know about (that we know of) Miles, Jack, and Gale.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Fine then we can add “friend of the family or was” to the elaborate build-up that is an over complex puzzle where half the pieces don’t exist.
Don't forget 'doesn't seem to have told Pueblo any of her past with them'. Which indicates she doesn't talk about it. Possibly she was betrayed somehow?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, why hurry a good story? Suspense is part of a top-flight yarn. Will Poncho let her down before Pueblo cuts her down? 'Cause Gale's busting out one way or t'other!

...and now we can nuance "used to be" for 48 hours .... man, did I learn a lot about vision this weekend! Regards.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:Fine then we can add “friend of the family or was” to the elaborate build-up that is an over complex puzzle where half the pieces don’t exist.
It really sounds like you're kinda ruining this story for yourself
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Obbl wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Fine then we can add “friend of the family or was” to the elaborate build-up that is an over complex puzzle where half the pieces don’t exist.
I can’t help it. This is literally what I go to school for. Studying and analyzing text and stories for obtain a better understanding of literature and genre to improve my own writing. Class start up again tomorrow. Let me tell you that this story is waaay more interesting than what I’m forced to read for class.
This is literally what we do in class. Sit around in a circle and discuss what we read and shout crazy theories which someone else will argue against for three hours.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion Wallace

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Don't forget 'doesn't seem to have told Pueblo any of her past with them'. Which indicates she doesn't talk about it. Possibly she was betrayed somehow?
I thought Pueblo was doing a shushing motion to tell his mom "act like I'm not here. trust me, I've got this." Are you saying that Pueblo's expression is that of intrigue because he was going to cut the rope, but then wanted to hear the rest of the backstory as much as we do.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:
Obbl wrote:
I can’t help it. This is literally what I go to school for. Studying and analyzing text and stories for obtain a better understanding of literature and genre to improve my own writing. Class start up again tomorrow. Let me tell you that this story is waaay more interesting than what I’m forced to read for class.
Heh. BA 2.1 in English/Creative writing here. I know what you mean but sooner or later you'll notice that, when analysing a novel, you can't critique or analyse by the page or you'll go nuts before the book is over. The longer the form, the bigger the analysis piece has to be. Rick has started to go for the longer story format to essentially ease the pressure on himself to come up with new story lines so the story is more drawn out than it used to be. If you need to analyse, fine but remember you don't come up with theories as to what happened in a murder mystery on every page, do you? You collect the evidence first (and wait for the seemingly inevitable twist).
Champion Wallace wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Don't forget 'doesn't seem to have told Pueblo any of her past with them'. Which indicates she doesn't talk about it. Possibly she was betrayed somehow?
I thought Pueblo was doing a shushing motion to tell his mom "act like I'm not here. trust me, I've got this." Are you saying that Pueblo's expression is that of intrigue because he was going to cut the rope, but then wanted to hear the rest of the backstory as much as we do.
No, he's doing the 'I've got this' thing. And is about to drop Mom on her head.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
tych

Post by tych »

okay is it weird that I knew exactly who Poncho and Fox were before I even started reading?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Hold on. Poncho said “friend of the family” not “the pack” Given that yes a pack is a “family” I wonder if it means something else because again we don’t know how Poncho and Jack fit into the biological dynamic of the pack. Given their fur color and how it differs from everyone else’s there clearly is more to them. And now I’m grasping. I have to do something for 48 hours.

There is still the other question that needs to be answered. It’s not just what happened but who caused it? Right now Gale seems more like a victim given how she helped Poncho. Jack said that he wasn’t the one responsible. The Daryl’s didn’t seem to know who she was when she took them. That doesn’t leave many wolves left and the biggest factor is that Gale clearly directs the brunt of her anger towards Miles. Even though Miles doesn’t seem like the type it is possible that he may be at fault.

We also have to take into consideration why Poncho was treated differently than the others. She just grabbed everyone but with Poncho she tried to trick him. Then pounced on him like North Star said with “spine-shattering” force. That means that she has a different relationship with Poncho than the others. He want to her for aid. At first I thought that maybe in was an accident but Wallace pointed out that Gale wasn’t wet so Poncho dragged himself to her cave knowing she would help him. They must have had a pre-existing relationship so how was it formed. Does it apply to the rest of the pack or just Poncho’s immediate family?
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

The obvious conclusion is that Gale and Poncho are in the Mob together. How else could Gale have had access to a first aid kit?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

biddyfox wrote:The obvious conclusion is that Gale and Poncho are in the Mob together. How else could Gale have had access to a first aid kit?
Well, a mountain rescue team on exercise in the area ten years ago hasn't been seen since...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote: It's called "build-up." Wouldn't be much fun if we didn't stop to consider stakes on the journey to the end.
Maybe I was too quick to write off the story’s progression. At this point the only way this story can go is with the inevitable backstory. In my mind I see Gale getting cut down, she breaks loose, Poncho asks “why are you doing this?” If he doesn’t know already, Gale responds, then Miles makes an appearance (after wondering why no one has returned to camp) to have a heart to heart with Gale and regale us with what really happened.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:Hold on. Poncho said “friend of the family” not “the pack” Given that yes a pack is a “family” I wonder if it means something else because again we don’t know how Poncho and Jack fit into the biological dynamic of the pack. Given their fur color and how it differs from everyone else’s there clearly is more to them. And now I’m grasping. I have to do something for 48 hours.
Yes, yes, you are grasping ;) And please let the something for 48 hours be something other than picking apart every detail and extrapolating every conceivable plotline from them... oh wait you continue :P
fenrirblack wrote:There is still the other question that needs to be answered. It’s not just what happened but who caused it? Right now Gale seems more like a victim given how she helped Poncho. Jack said that he wasn’t the one responsible. The Daryl’s didn’t seem to know who she was when she took them. That doesn’t leave many wolves left and the biggest factor is that Gale clearly directs the brunt of her anger towards Miles. Even though Miles doesn’t seem like the type it is possible that he may be at fault.
Yep, these are questions that seem reasonably likely to receive answers by the end. Looking forward to them :D
But I'm not sure where you're getting that the brunt of her anger is focused at Miles. She's only mentioned him twice and never unprompted, and both times are easy to write off since Miles is the head of the pack. Marking him as the wolf to take the fight to, in this case, is perfectly reasonable whether or not she holds any particular grudge with him.
fenrirblack wrote:We also have to take into consideration why Poncho was treated differently than the others. She just grabbed everyone but with Poncho she tried to trick him. Then pounced on him like North Star said with “spine-shattering” force. That means that she has a different relationship with Poncho than the others. He want to her for aid. At first I thought that maybe in was an accident but Wallace pointed out that Gale wasn’t wet so Poncho dragged himself to her cave knowing she would help him. They must have had a pre-existing relationship so how was it formed. Does it apply to the rest of the pack or just Poncho’s immediate family?
Well, North Star isn't exactly a reliable narrator right here now is he? :P
And I don't know if we can say that she was specifically trying to trick Poncho as opposed to laying out a trap for whomever happened to be the next wolf to come by.
Now, yeah, maybe the wolves had a relationship with Gale prior to Poncho's injury, but that seems likely to be answered or at least hinted at when the other questions are answered.
Argent

Post by Argent »

You know, dropping her on her head and leaving her still wrapped up in a net is kind of a lousy rescue.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:You know, dropping her on her head and leaving her still wrapped up in a net is kind of a lousy rescue.
He's a kid and this is the first time he's had to rescue mum. He's being brave. She'll appreciate it. After the headache subsides.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

There's still some affection to Gale from Poncho, that's nice. :) Well, North Star, you aren't so much right, because Gale is only capturing you all one by one, also if you can't know of this thing; her purpose isn't even to suddenly kill you all, at least for now... :roll: Eheheh, the cute Pueblo is going to cut the rope, so then his mother can easily get free... :D And finally, should be troubles for the both of you. :P Well, but instead, I guess she's going to ask them to bring her to Miles so to talk with him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

… meanwhile, Ace, Rook, and Olive peacefully slumber. Right?
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Plot Twist: Pueblo falls and injures himself, so Poncho and Northstar have to give medical attention, leading Gale to apologize for basically being a jerk, then explaining that she actually wants to move in with them, which leads to the cubs realizing that living in human society is actually pretty nice, so they might as well just go with it.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Champion Wallace

Sorry for being dense, but could someone explain the alt text to me. I don't get it at all.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:Plot Twist: Pueblo falls and injures himself, so Poncho and Northstar have to give medical attention, leading Gale to apologize for basically being a jerk, then explaining that she actually wants to move in with them, which leads to the cubs realizing that living in human society is actually pretty nice, so they might as well just go with it.
dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Can't wait to see what the wolves think of Pueblo. He's already showing to be quite use to the wild :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hmmmm ... Why not? That little twist prevented WW III in "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming!" ..........