2018/09/07 - Face Of The Enemy

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Render
Wanna play a game?

Re: 2018/09/07 - Face Of The Enemy

Post by Render »

fenrirblack wrote:What Gale is going to do to Miles when he reaches her den?
He's there already as it looks. So... at the moment it's talking. ^^
Bandit1990 wrote:
GrayHimakar wrote:I know Gale is looking away from Miles for dramatic effect, but it takes some gut to stitch yourself in the dark.
She's stitching a wound on her face, without a mirror. I don't think the level of ambient light is really helping one way or another.
I actually wonder why she's doing it at all. It looks like she has a scar, not an open wound. So no need for stitching.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

Render wrote:I actually wonder why she's doing it at all. It looks like she has a scar, not an open wound. So no need for stitching.
Flashback.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I wonder if perhaps a different style border on flashback panels would make it more obvious, because it seems a lot of people are having trouble distinguishing here.

That aside, it took me a minute to figure out what Gale meant in the third panel. Not sure if it's odd word choice or if I'm just a little slow on the uptake, but either way, I definitely empathize with Gale a whole lot more now. I never really disliked her cause it's hard for me to actively dislike anyone amidst cartoon hijinks, but now that I understand what she's holding against Miles and his pack, her actions make a lot more sense than they would were this a simple territorial dispute.

She clearly felt she had a strong connection with the pack; she might have even considered them family in the absence of her own. Being a solitary predator, Gale wouldn't let down her guard for just anyone, so the mere fact she considered them friends is a big deal in and of itself. So when Miles didn't even think to give her the option of starting a family of her own when some of his pack died obviously reads from her position as a massive betrayal. And I can empathize with that.

I still don't agree with her methods, obviously, but I understand her side of this situation now. Can't wait to see how this wraps up. :3
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:You know I read this comic and have to think back to this and that funny line from Lucretia has a new meaning now :?
GameCobra wrote:Also, he didn't have glasses back then? :o
For a long time he just had reading glasses.
Fair point, i should've clarified. but still, i'm wondering if Gale got him into reading after this? Makes sense he regretted what happened to Gale.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I love how she uses the word “lair” instead of den, cave, or home. It makes it sound all super villainy. My secret lair where I plot my vengeance.

The other thing I can’t stop thinking about is what she says in the last panel. “Everything I sacrificed for you” what does that mean? Clearly her face but I wonder if it’s something else. From the way she’s talking I want to say that she had a mate at one point before this but due to the predator limit she couldn’t reproduce at the time. Eh, it’s what I would do.

The other thing I can’t stop thinking about is the overhunting aspect of this conflict. It is true that is a serious issue with the problem of overpopulation but at the same time there are to many unknown variables. How big is the territory? Can it be expanded? Is Miles even right about the predator limit because something as complex as environmental biology is not something I would expect a feral wolf to know fully. He may have a good idea but there is so much more to it that takes years of research and study to fully understand the full implications. How much displacement has occurred since humans began to take over? Are there alternative methods of obtaining food?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

Initially, I thought it just took a while to reach her lair and get to talking about population dynamics; hence the sunrise. I was wondering why her scar had reopened, since it seemed thoroughly healed up till now. It was only after looking it over a few times that I noticed her ear is still intact in the last panel.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:I love how she uses the word “lair” instead of den, cave, or home. It makes it sound all super villainy. My secret lair where I plot my vengeance.

The other thing I can’t stop thinking about is what she says in the last panel. “Everything I sacrificed for you” what does that mean? Clearly her face but I wonder if it’s something else. From the way she’s talking I want to say that she had a mate at one point before this but due to the predator limit she couldn’t reproduce at the time. Eh, it’s what I would do.

The other thing I can’t stop thinking about is the overhunting aspect of this conflict. It is true that is a serious issue with the problem of overpopulation but at the same time there are to many unknown variables. How big is the territory? Can it be expanded? Is Miles even right about the predator limit because something as complex as environmental biology is not something I would expect a feral wolf to know fully. He may have a good idea but there is so much more to it that takes years of research and study to fully understand the full implications. How much displacement has occurred since humans began to take over? Are there alternative methods of obtaining food?
She likely didn't want to start looking for a mate because her and Miles talked about the predator problem in the wild. It's safe to assume that the wolf pack and Gale know their limits in the wild and know when there is too many mouths to feed and agreed on things such as when someone can have a family. The problem here, though, is it looks like this was one of the reasons Gale didn't start a family. Too many mouths to feed.

It's not certain how long Babylon Garden existed, but I would assume it's been around for ages but the wild just doesn't want to deal with the weirdness that is human society - but they look to have known about human society thanks to some of the stuff they use, so rather than steal it they just decided to go straight into society at some point.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

When Lucretia told Miles "Our life sucks", he seems rather taken aback by this bulletin. I'm not used to thinking of Miles as obtuse but, clearly, he didn't give Gale the appreciation she felt due for her "Sacrifices". And nobody gets "pin-point pupils" in Housepets! just for an eye test … she's seriously honked and Miles is gonna hear it (or worse!).

… and … where in Pawtucket is Pueblo?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

GameCobra wrote:It's not certain how long Babylon Garden existed, but I would assume it's been around for ages but the wild just doesn't want to deal with the weirdness that is human society - but they look to have known about human society thanks to some of the stuff they use, so rather than steal it they just decided to go straight into society at some point.
Babylon Gardens was built in 1987. That's one of the few background details that has been firmly established.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Argent wrote:Flashback.
Ah, I see.
KJOokami wrote:I wonder if perhaps a different style border on flashback panels would make it more obvious, because it seems a lot of people are having trouble distinguishing here.
hmm... Are all panels except the first flashbacks? Would make sense, even if panel 2 and 3 also work in the presence.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Well, ok Gale, seems like there's nothing else to do for Miles. It's good you want to talk with him. ;) New flashback time. :) Here, young Miles just mated with Lucretia, making Gale angry... But, they were together? :? We have an old wolf who was a cat lover. :D I understand you, Gale, but a wolf and a puma can't mate together and make a family, naturally. :| And, that's the moment when she got that bad face injury... :( But, from who?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Flashback...? Well, we'll see... Gale clearly expects Miles to know where her lair is.

Besides Pueblo, I'm also wondering how Gale got free of Bailey's death grip and now where are the dogs? I'm wondering if Bailey and King snatched up the puppies and then lit out for safety … at home with "Uncle" Kitsune, or Wolf House, or Sasha's doghouse, or the Lindburg place with "Uncle Fox" or even Jessica's treehouse. Maybe Bruno? The Good Ol' Dogs Club? Tarot … naw...

Clearly, Gale needs "The Opener of Ways".

...And then, did they go for rescue, help from whom? Uncle Deadeye? The BGK9s? I cannot see King and Bailey doing nuthin … they know how to be heroes.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Render wrote:
Argent wrote:Flashback.
Ah, I see.
KJOokami wrote:I wonder if perhaps a different style border on flashback panels would make it more obvious, because it seems a lot of people are having trouble distinguishing here.
hmm... Are all panels except the first flashbacks? Would make sense, even if panel 2 and 3 also work in the presence.
It seems so. After looking a while, Gale's patching herself up from the injury in the flashback. It seems they agreed to 'keep the numbers down' but, after two deaths and an incident, Miles decided to bring new blood in but he forgot that, with Gale being involved in the decision not to add to the numbers, she should have been consulted about any decision to reverse that principle.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Bandit1990 wrote:
GameCobra wrote:It's not certain how long Babylon Garden existed, but I would assume it's been around for ages but the wild just doesn't want to deal with the weirdness that is human society - but they look to have known about human society thanks to some of the stuff they use, so rather than steal it they just decided to go straight into society at some point.
Babylon Gardens was built in 1987. That's one of the few background details that has been firmly established.
I see!

Did i also mention i suck at history? X3 *hides from childhood social study teachers*
Argent

Post by Argent »

Render wrote:hmm... Are all panels except the first flashbacks? Would make sense, even if panel 2 and 3 also work in the presence.
Based on the sepia tone, yeppers.

Does that make me a flashback?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
Render wrote:hmm... Are all panels except the first flashbacks? Would make sense, even if panel 2 and 3 also work in the presence.
Based on the sepia tone, yeppers.

Does that make me a flashback?
You're far too real, dear boy.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Aw, yer just fine, Argent. Nuthin' flashy at all.
Char89Charizard

Post by Char89Charizard »

I don't think it's a flashback. It could've been the morning light. Just because the panels have a sepia tone, it doesn't mean it's a flashback. And unless Rick confirms it, I don't believe it is.
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:Aw, yer just fine, Argent. Nuthin' flashy at all.
I'm not Argent I'm Sixtoes and I'm sepia-colored naturally except for my collar but I can take that off!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Does anyone else think it's weird she wants Miles to come to her lair? If she wanted to talk they could just do that in the clearing they are in. If the pit is in her lair that still doesn't make sense because then Miles would see his pack is alright and relatively (except for Deevee) unharmed. Gale might have a death laser pointed at the pack for delivering an ultimatum, but she doesn't seem like that kind of super villain.
Char89Charizard wrote:I don't think it's a flashback. It could've been the morning light. Just because the panels have a sepia tone, it doesn't mean it's a flashback. And unless Rick confirms it, I don't believe it is.
There is definitely evidence in favor that the last three panels are set in present day. However, it is unambiguously unambiguous (...that was an expression) that it is a flashback because in the last panel Gale's left ear doesn't have the bite taken out of it.
Argent wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Aw, yer just fine, Argent. Nuthin' flashy at all.
I'm not Argent I'm Sixtoes and I'm sepia-colored naturally except for my collar but I can take that off!
If you did take your collar off then you would be flashing. *gets bricked*
The cape comes with the promotion.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Xane wrote:Cousin was removed from Rodney's name when the site was updated so I'm assuming Rick decided not to keep that set in stone
I'm actually the one who put Rodney back in the character list. I left out "cousin" on analogy with the other wolves' name and because "cousin" is not a title that is usually affixed to a name. Mea Culpa on that :oops:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I love how she uses the word “lair” instead of den, cave, or home. It makes it sound all super villainy. My secret lair where I plot my vengeance.

She likely didn't want to start looking for a mate because her and Miles talked about the predator problem in the wild. It's safe to assume that the wolf pack and Gale know their limits in the wild and know when there is too many mouths to feed and agreed on things such as when someone can have a family. The problem here, though, is it looks like this was one of the reasons Gale didn't start a family. Too many mouths to feed.
I feel so bad for Gale. How would you feel if someone told you that you can't have kids because there was not enough food? That's like a dystopian scenario.

Has anyone read the "Warriors" series by Erin Hunter? This kind of stuff happens all the time to them. It never ends well. Literally every book they are fighting over prey.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Natalie, now that's a name we haven't heard in a long while.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:I feel so bad for Gale. How would you feel if someone told you that you can't have kids because there was not enough food? That's like a dystopian scenario.
The Housepets universe is pretty dark if you actually think about it. This is far from the first time it's come up.

Speaking of which:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Argent wrote:I'm not Argent I'm Sixtoes and I'm sepia-colored naturally except for my collar but I can take that off!
If you did take your collar off then you would be flashing. *gets bricked*
Nah that's a silly idea heck I wouldn't even need to worry about animal control most places 'cos humans think I'm cute but if I was a dog now I'd have to watch out for them and PETA too!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Though, without a collar, some of those humans might think you'd make an awfully cute stole, wrap, or collar accessory...... Dark thought, I know.
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:Though, without a collar, some of those humans might think you'd make an awfully cute stole, wrap, or collar accessory...... Dark thought, I know.
I saw that movie too except it was a fox and super awkward because foxes don't bend like that they musta been using a puppet for the legs at least but I could tell it was a live fox when they were in the car!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Let's keep the RP in the RP section, please. Back to talking about the comic ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I feel so bad for Gale. How would you feel if someone told you that you can't have kids because there was not enough food? That's like a dystopian scenario.
The Housepets universe is pretty dark if you actually think about it. This is far from the first time it's come up]
Well of course it gets dark. Usually the darker elements are more fantastic and fun. This is more grounded in reality and realistic in a strange way. It hits close to home as these are real serious issues we face everyday.
I’m not saying it’s necessarily a bad thing it’s just unexpected. We’re use to seeing magic and gods and now we have actual science and logic in a world we’re wearing a paper bag gives you super powers.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Ah, but these forums also have a looooong history of speculating on "fridge horror" elements in the comic. Trying to map the real world treatment of pets into this universe really quickly gets into dark territory. Plus Rick has already mentioned a couple things like the wolf actor who had his tail cut off or the fact that the ferals live with a lot of fear that have tended to get us thinking deeper.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Dark Territory" all too true, Obbi. Pop quiz, chums - What's the title of Housepets! Book Two?
Champion Wallace

rickgriffin wrote:
Char89Charizard wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:So wait, were Miles and Gale lovers at some point?
Despite being different species, yes. Yes they were.
That doesn't follow from what I wrote . . .
If you read it as Gale is jealous that Miles got Lucrita pregnant because Gale wanted Miles to get herself pregnant then it would follow they were lovers.
NHWestoN wrote:"Dark Territory" all too true, Obbi. Pop quiz, chums - What's the title of Housepets! Book Two?
Oh please. We already discussed this for Vegans Taste Better starting here.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I imagine that NHWestoN was mostly meaning that in jest.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:If you read it as Gale is jealous that Miles got Lucrita pregnant because Gale wanted Miles to get herself pregnant then it would follow they were lovers.
I don't think there's been any indication whatsoever that inter-species crosses are possible in the Housepets! world, so that is not a thing that could happen.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Does that mean Gale took advantage of her territory defense against the pack to also get emotional revenge against him?
And that does Miles mean by "and that car--"?
Champion Wallace

Soerix wrote:Does that mean Gale took advantage of her territory defense against the pack to also get emotional revenge against him?
As far as we know, yes, that is absolutely right.
Soerix wrote:And that does Miles mean by "and that car--"?
I took that to mean Maw and Paw died of natural causes and old age, whereas Natalie's mom died more violently after getting hit by a car, and Miles couldn't bring himself to use any more detail then "and that car--".
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Champion Wallace wrote:I took that to mean Maw and Paw died of natural causes and old age, whereas Natalie's mom died more violently after getting hit by a car, and Miles couldn't bring himself to use any more detail then "and that car--".
I believe Natalie's mother is still alive and is very, very, strong and mean.

EDIT. Sorry, that's Lucretia's mother...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Champion Wallace

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:I took that to mean Maw and Paw died of natural causes and old age, whereas Natalie's mom died more violently after getting hit by a car, and Miles couldn't bring himself to use any more detail then "and that car--".
I believe Natalie's mother is still alive and is very, very, strong and mean.

EDIT. Sorry, that's Lucretia's mother...
Technically it's not impossible for Natalie's mom and Lucretia's mother to be the same person (well, other than the age and generation gap, but you don't know when she stoped having litters). Natalie's mom might not even be dead. Mile's wording heavily implies as such, but it could be possible that a camper left the keys in the ignition and Natalie's mom is cruising the sunlit California coastline (given what we know, there's a 0% chance that happened, but Miles's wording was ambiguous enough...).
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

1 Not even mildly annoyed.
2 Dystopia would be having society ruled by corrupt tyrannical overlords. This is just a factual limitation of resources, so no, it is not like that at all.
Champion Wallace wrote:If you read it as Gale is jealous that Miles got Lucrita pregnant because Gale wanted Miles to get herself pregnant then it would follow they were lovers.
Well, no. It wouldn't. Speciation doesn't work that way.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.