2018/09/24 – Slap Happy

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/09/24 – Slap Happy

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/09/24 – Slap Happy]
Title Text: TRY TO KILL ME DANGIT

Miles...
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2018/09/24 – Slap Happy

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay that was funny.

This chapter has been so long that sometimes it has felt like this
Other times like this

Fair warning I'm about to make a lot of assumptions.
If Rick continues with his usual pattern there should be one more scene to wrap up this pointless fight.
Now if my theological timeline is accurate then this chapter should last exactly four months. That means the last strip should be on Oct 19.
Sept 26- Final fight w/ screaming
Sept 28- Breakdown with crying
Oct 1- Breakdown with screaming and crying
Oct 3- Long Overdue Conversation w/ Flashback
Oct 5- Looooong Overdue Conversation w/ Flashback
Oct 8- Reconciliation w/ jokes
Oct 10-Reconciliation w/ feelings
Oct 12- Reconciliation w/ the Return to Camp
Oct 15- Dawn of a new day
Oct 17- Dawn of a new day (King cooks everyone pancakes)
Oct 19- Back in Babylon Gardens
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

I just wanna say, I LOVE how Ripped those two are...
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I just wanna see this dissolve into this. :lol:

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Ok, i have to admit this is downright silly for a fight at this point. Mainly because I'd figured someone would be dead by now. But no! Someone's holding back!

MILES
GALE

Sit in the corner until you two are ready to kill each other.

Also, Max and Bino already did the wimp fight. These two are fully grown predators. No excuses :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay that was funny.

This chapter has been so long that sometimes it has felt like this
Other times like this

Fair warning I'm about to make a lot of assumptions.
If Rick continues with his usual pattern there should be one more scene to wrap up this pointless fight.
Now if my theological timeline is accurate then this chapter should last exactly four months. That means the last strip should be on Oct 19.
Sept 26- Final fight w/ screaming
Sept 28- Breakdown with crying
Oct 1- Breakdown with screaming and crying
Oct 3- Long Overdue Conversation w/ Flashback
Oct 5- Looooong Overdue Conversation w/ Flashback
Oct 8- Reconciliation w/ jokes
Oct 10-Reconciliation w/ feelings
Oct 12- Reconciliation w/ the Return to Camp
Oct 15- Dawn of a new day
Oct 17- Dawn of a new day (King cooks everyone pancakes)
Oct 19- Back in Babylon Gardens
Careful, man, if Rick sees this he might completely revise how long this'll take. :P
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

Gale seems determined to stay angry with Miles. I’m trying to figure out how it’s going to end but unless a third party breaks it up, I don’t see the fight ending without one defeating the other. Maybe Gale wins but will find she can’t bring herself to deliver the final blow. I can’t see her accepting the mercy Miles would extend if he wins.

Or maybe I’m just overthinking things again...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:Careful, man, if Rick sees this he might completely revise how long this'll take. :P
If he did I would be impressed that I was able to influence him that much.
GameCobra wrote: Also, Max and Bino already did the wimp fight. These two are fully grown predators. No excuses :3
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Q: Mmmmm what did this remind me of?

A:

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
javaman112

Re: WARNING: A new site is coming

Post by javaman112 »

Isn't that how Houdini died
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Honestly if this fight doesn't end like this I will be very disappointed.

The saddest part is that Gale is so angry that she is not thinking straight. Now its just sad how distraught she is. I think Miles sees that so he won't fight her. Gale has bottled her feelings up for so long that they are breaking loose and hurting her worse than Miles ever could. It a strange way its like that scene with Pete.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

He’s taking it seriously.
Like a nineteen sixties TV show
the words show up luridly
as he trades her, blow for blow.
In the fight with a former friend
he can’t use fatal force;
he doesn’t want her life to end.
Whilst fighting for his whole clan,
and dragging out the fight,
is it possible he has a secret plan?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Know your biology, Gale! Neither Cougars nor wolfs use their claws for fighting, both species using jaw muscles instead. Cougars and other felines will use their claws to climb and to hold onto pray after they've jumped on it. Wolfs' feet and claws are designed to give it more traction on the ground and to stay on the top of snow. Large felines' arm muscles are so strong the force of a slap will be more dangerous than aiming for a scratch so their claws can cut. This is partly because of their morphology, for example, real-world wolfs are incapable of moving their front legs in a swiping motion. In that regard, it does depend on how anthropomorphic their bodies are.

TL;DR: This would have been more realistic if Gale had said "teeth" instead of "claws"
The cape comes with the promotion.
Foxissagi

Post by Foxissagi »

At this point I'm not sure Miles actually knows what's going on, maybe the blow to the head broke something :?

I'm also worried about his glasses. Where'd they go? ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Miles, you're a prince, fella.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

"Did you just slap me?"
"You punched me in the gut!"
"You just SLAPPED me!!"
"YOU TRIED TO SNAP MY NECK!!!"
ImageImageImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

He may not want to hurt her but I have a feeling he's gonna need to get a bit serious to at least restrain her.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Someone has issues.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Champion Wallace wrote:Know your biology, Gale! Neither Cougars nor wolfs use their claws for fighting, both species using jaw muscles instead. Cougars and other felines will use their claws to climb and to hold onto pray after they've jumped on it. Wolfs' feet and claws are designed to give it more traction on the ground and to stay on the top of snow. Large felines' arm muscles are so strong the force of a slap will be more dangerous than aiming for a scratch so their claws can cut. This is partly because of their morphology, for example, real-world wolfs are incapable of moving their front legs in a swiping motion. In that regard, it does depend on how anthropomorphic their bodies are.

TL;DR: This would have been more realistic if Gale had said "teeth" instead of "claws"
Housepets! wolves and mountain lions may not quite be the same as those in our universe.

I also appreciate that, of all the magic and political intrigue and the bipedal animals with human language and cognition and stuff, you're pulling the realism card on use of claws in combat, which may be idiomatic.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Dissension wrote:I also appreciate that, of all the magic and political intrigue and the bipedal animals with human language and cognition and stuff, you're pulling the realism card on use of claws in combat, which may be idiomatic.[/color]
For me it's more the fact that, if you ball your handpaw into a fist your claws will dig into your own palm pads but point taken good Squirrel.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dissension wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Know your biology, Gale! Neither Cougars nor wolfs use their claws for fighting, both species using jaw muscles instead. Cougars and other felines will use their claws to climb and to hold onto pray after they've jumped on it. Wolfs' feet and claws are designed to give it more traction on the ground and to stay on the top of snow. Large felines' arm muscles are so strong the force of a slap will be more dangerous than aiming for a scratch so their claws can cut. This is partly because of their morphology, for example, real-world wolfs are incapable of moving their front legs in a swiping motion. In that regard, it does depend on how anthropomorphic their bodies are.

Housepets! wolves and mountain lions may not quite be the same as those in our universe.

I also appreciate that, of all the magic and political intrigue and the bipedal animals with human language and cognition and stuff, you're pulling the realism card on use of claws in combat, which may be idiomatic.
Why is it even a claws for concern, I wonder?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You're the worst. <3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Get used to it, squirrel :P
Twilight

Post by Twilight »

Slap some sense into her, Miles.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Still hoping for Uncle Deadye
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

I could see them going along the way they are now until both are so worn out they are basically leaning in and supporting each other while Gale is still asking "Had enough?". At which point Pueblo grabs Miles' paw, declares a Thumb War and pins the wolf digit declaring victory. Gale, supporting her kitten, accepts it as puma victory over the wolves.

Followed by Fenrirblack's prediction from Oct 12 down
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Naw, this arc will continue until there's a grand reconciliation with a Christmas party at Wolf Hall, hosted by Bailey, King, Grape, Peanut, Sasha, and Daisy.

Like the welcome sign for Pandemonium, this arc says "Enjoy your stay `cause you're here FOREVER!" (Party guest appearances by Cerberus, Kitsune, Eudoant, and the li'l dino demon - all looking for Keene (Next Arc).)
Yamitora1

Post by Yamitora1 »

Cannot read this page without
"Smack that, all on the floor
Smack that, give me some more
Smack that, 'till you get sore
Smack that, oh-oooh
Smack that, all on the floor
Smack that, give me some more
Smack that, 'till you get sore
Smack that, oh-oooh"

playing in my head
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

At this point I just want to see two things happen. One is Gale crying in Miles arms while she tries to punch him but has no fight left in her. The other is King actually using that forsaken portable pancake grill. Seriously, I’ve waited and made so many jokes/comments about that thing that if it doesn’t make another appearance I will be very upset.

I also need to see a chapter about the cubs going to school but I realize that I might have to wait awhile for that.
Actually you know what would be funny if after this Miles says “okay, you don’t have to go to school if you don’t want to. I realize now that I cant control you or force you to do what I believe is best.” Then the cubs say “Forget that. We’re totally going to school if it means we never have to do anything like this camping trip again or move back to the wild.”

I feel like the moral of this story is that you can’t force people to be something they aren’t but that’s all anyone ever does in this comic. So you shouldn’t try to change people because if you do bad things happen.
Champion Wallace

Dissension wrote:

It has been established that animals are very similar to their real world counterparts, with bipedality, sapients, and the ability to talk being the only exceptions. I guess I reacted as such because of how immersion-breaking it was for me. It's not immediately obvious, but Gale's statement is like if she picked a fight with a professional boxer and said "this is a fight to the death, you can use your fingernails". Scratching someone could be considered underhand and you would think it would be advantageous to use everything at your disposal, but with the boxer example, it would be better to sick with what they're good at and punch. Then again, if they were fighting like wild animals trying to bite down on the other's neck, it would be hard to have witty repartee without wondering how they're talking with their mouth full.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Dissension wrote:I also appreciate that, of all the magic and political intrigue and the bipedal animals with human language and cognition and stuff, you're pulling the realism card on use of claws in combat, which may be idiomatic.
For me it's more the fact that, if you ball your handpaw into a fist your claws will dig into your own palm pads but point taken good Squirrel.
Cougars can retract their claws, so them digging into her palm pads wouldn't be an issue.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Champion Wallace wrote: It's not immediately obvious, but Gale's statement is like if she picked a fight with a professional boxer and said "this is a fight to the death, you can use your fingernails". Scratching someone could be considered underhand and you would think it would be advantageous to use everything at your disposal, but with the boxer example, it would be better to sick with what they're good at and punch.
But... she's actually picking a fight with another wild animal similar to herself? And this is a fight to the death, so "underhanded" kinda doesn't figure in, no? Also he's not even punching (which would at least be effective); he's open palm slapping her. Even if it wouldn't make sense for them to actually use claws, the statement at least works metaphorically.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gale: "If you really took me seriously (you patronizing jerk!), you'd use your claws! But, nooooo … you and your antiquated notions of chivalry, Miles … that's why you make me so annnngrrrreeee !!"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's still being a tough fight... :? That looks a very hurting punch in the stomach, but instead, that reply slap is meh... :P Aww, Miles is now a too good wolf, I guess he neither knows anymore how to injure someone in the right way. :D It's only you who wishes to do that seriously, Gale... ;)
Looking forward to how this is going to end. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

"listen, I am capable of applying *multiple methodologies* to anthropomorphization, and in this case it felt more appropriate" Rick has spoken!
Champion Wallace

Obbl wrote:But... she's actually picking a fight with another wild animal similar to herself? And this is a fight to the death, so "underhanded" kinda doesn't figure in, no? Also he's not even punching (which would at least be effective); he's open palm slapping her. Even if it wouldn't make sense for them to actually use claws, the statement at least works metaphorically.
What I gathered as happening in this strip is Gale wants a fight to the death, so she thinks everything should go, even if underhanded. Miles however, doesn't want a fight to the death, so he wouldn't do something underhanded like use his claws. My problem with this situation is using claws shouldn't be considered underhand because neither species uses claws for fighting. She might as well have said "this is a fight to the death, you can use your tail". Wolfs can't retract their claws, so if Miles punched Gale it would hurt him as much as it would hurt her if he used his claws on her. Miles sure does look muscular, even moreso than a real wolf (real wolfs don't have much muscle mass on their legs), so Gale's statement would only work if HP! wolfs had a bite force reduced to being closer to a human's but their claws were kept the same.
fenrirblack wrote:"listen, I am capable of applying *multiple methodologies* to anthropomorphization, and in this case it felt more appropriate" Rick has spoken!
This may be a stupid question, but where did rick say that? For that matter, what prompted the apology train back in the topic for Do It For The Team?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm sure you can slap without scratching. Just gotta aim the claws, no need for a fist. As cats can retract their claws, of course she'd be able to punch. Granted, we've seen dogs punch, too (look at Bailey), but ultimately I'm sure it's whatever Rick feels like. :roll:

Also, that quote was Rick's justification for how he designed "Bowsette" on Twitter, the current art trend.