HPU: Applegate OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: HPU: Applegate OOC

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Serenade's power is only meant to erase things, hence the whole comparing it to a sword, cutting away pieces of reality, only leaving the desired parts intact, it can't restore anything.
So the answer is no :P
valerio

Post by valerio »

Serence Frostbite wrote:Serenade's power is only meant to erase things, hence the whole comparing it to a sword, cutting away pieces of reality, only leaving the desired parts intact, it can't restore anything.
So the answer is no :P
thanks
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

I think I have a decent assumption of why this thread isn't going anywhere. It's what serence more or less pointed out.

No one wants to have their characters killed off without a chance of being brought back. No one really wants to bring about apocrypha either. And, if I may, for the record, no one wants to try and solve the 'escape room' we are in because we aren't in a party style atmosphere. This is a very low risk engagement role play, so people aren't trying to puzzle this out in their heads like they would be at their weekly dnd game.

So, we can only see one outcome, or at least, that's what I think we only see. We don't want to post in this bleak world because, well, look at the real one, to get out of this situation. Because of the real one, we don't want to look at it in something we're using as a brief escape.

We like this thread because it provides a bit of the supernatural with the real, I just don't think we like the whole bleak aspect of the world ending bit.

I am ALSO pretty sure no one wants to roleplay with their current characters with the results of the

So. I have a couple of ideas to move forward and or to 'get back to normal' to keep the thread active.

Miles is capable of absorbing power, and using power. I'm sure Hubert is capable of doing the same.

Since Hubert is a hunter, and Miles is not, it could be passed along to Hubert, and he could absorb it, and any versions of Serenade that exist, THEN reverse the effects the power caused, ie the fog. Or something along those lines. That would get things 'back to normal' and we'd be able to end the day.

We could also gainax it. Everybody just make one weird post doing something completely random to end the day and everything is okay the next day with things 'back to normal'.

OR we could, try and keep solving this puzzle to get things 'back to normal'.

I think this might've been more fun and engaging had it been telegraphed beforehand here in the ooc, or via pm, with bits of the puzzle shared between players and more steps given as solutions are revealed.

Maybe for next time.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

For what it's worth, the only reason I haven't been posting is that my characters are frozen in time. I'm interested to see where this goes though. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Hi guys,
How are you all honestly feeling about this whole thing so far? Do you feel disinterested like xhunterkox pointed out, anything like that? If you guys don't feel like it, I can end the arc in a couple of my post and everything will return to normal. Please just be completely honest with me.

Edit: now that i think about it, I have no idea what xhunterkox meant by me pointing it out, since i don't remember saying anything about it, but still, I would like your feed back anyway, since this is my first time doing anything like this and all
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well, I've just been slow to post everywhere in general, something I need to work on. I'm still interested, and I think I just opened a path to a "power of friendship" style deus ex machina to get out of this with a happy ending. getting the vixen's offered power and using it all together to end things.
cause Buster was in the process of taking it I'm sure hubert and/or Miles could get everyone else there to split the power and fight.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Thanks for your responds, Brent and Roo, I still would like to receive responds from Vale and Leaf, before I have the courage to actually keep going with this or kind of giving up and stopping, because in the end I don't want this RP to die because of one bad boring arc.

Until then, for the sake of my own creative ego, I still can't reveal too much details because I still want to (if everyone end up still going with this) see how everyone, assuming all our characters are actually real beings, would react when faced with this sudden, unwarned crisis. That was also the reason why I didn't publicly announce this arc, because i believe it would make a better story, as well as the point of roleplaying, if things actually happen seemingly unscripted, as oppose to a theater play, where everything is laid out before they happen. It wasn't the first time the whole "shoulda let everyone knows first" thing comes up, so I thought I would explain a little bit. Still, sorry for any convenience caused by it.

With that said though, I would like to inform a little bit more about the theme of this arc, because this might change your mind.
The theme(s) I'm going for are:
- Grief and paranoia from loss of loved ones, then learning to accept it to move forward. (this is mainly for Serenade, her companions, and possibly Meri)

- The need of many vs the need of a few: this is a very big focus of the arc, with multiple ways to look at it, and already presented so far in the RP. In Serenade's perspective, humanity is the few compare to the future of two worlds, but in everyone else's perspective, Serenade's need to end humanity is the few compare to the sake of humanity itself, which would be the many.

- Sacrifices to do "the right thing": There's a point that i keep failing to demonstrate is how much humanity is admired by Serenade as well as her people, which would have shown how much of a sacrifice it is for her to choose the sake of the world over them, while at the same time, for everyone else, for all they know the only way to save humanity is to kill Serenade, which kiiiiind of a sacrifice if i had time to develop her relationship with everyone else a little more, but the arc accidentally triggered before i meant for it to, so ah well.

Anyway as xhunterkox pointed out this arc is aimed to be quite a bit heavier than the previous ones, because I'm edgy like that, so unfortunately the sharing power thing wouldn't work, because as I mentioned in my 2 previous posts in this OOC, her power is a sword that cut away parts of reality, craving out a desired result from the former reality. You can't divide a sword and still make it usable, and the sword won't change hand until its current wielder, Serenade, dies. If there's a "must happen" part of this arc, it's the fight.

However, I'm not emo to the point that thing ends up with "AND EVERYONE DIES", as I promised last year when I propose this arc, it will have a relatively happy ending, with a slight dark sequel baiting at the end. I try to avoid the whole "power of friendship" thing because it's been done so many times already, but that will not mean that your characters will come out from this with PTSD and/or heroic self sacrifices.

If you all want to do this after reading all that, all I would recommend is perhaps we can try to a "battle of mortals" sort of thing. After all this world is for mortals, its future is theirs to decide.

Sorry for all the rambling and thank you if you manage to bear with me through all of that.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

[quote="Serence Frostbite"]Hi guys,
How are you all honestly feeling about this whole thing so far? Do you feel disinterested like xhunterkox pointed out, anything like that? If you guys don't feel like it, I can end the arc in a couple of my post and everything will return to normal. Please just be completely honest with me.

Edit: now that i think about it, I have no idea what xhunterkox meant by me pointing it out, since i don't remember saying anything about it, but still, I would like your feed back anyway, since this is my first time doing anything like this and all[/quote]

I think I was trying to read between the lines. It has been clearly shown that there is no peaceful solution to this and there's going to be a fight, and someone is slated to die/possibly die. So I was saying that mostly the others know, or at least, feel it coming, and nobody wants that for anybody's characters. So, we're dragging out feet to get there. That was my argument at least. Of course, I could be completely wrong and everybody ELSE sees different possible endings and are trying to write for that, I just wouldn't know.

I'm just guessing as to why the thread might be slow because I think people see what I think we're all seeing coming and we don't want to get there.

What I meant by you pointing it out was not saying but saying that somebody was going to die/possibly die in those last couple of posts.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

ah I see, i get it now, thanks xhunterkox
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

To explain my position, I need to explain my character's stance a little. Rena's not in a "stop and think" position. I think that much has been made clear by her protests to staying in the stopped time(also because I want to let everyone else do things too). She's completely at ends with the arc as it's been presented, so she's not going to be much help for cerebral aspects of it.

That, and with this more or less being a war of morality and ideals as you've described it, talking to someone who's pushed the big red doomsday button is going to seem in most eyes like trying to ask someone who's already launched a super-weapon to not launch that super-weapon. It looks dead end without anything to make clear that there's a code to have it harmlessly self destruct mid-flight. Being magic, there's no telling if there is an equivalent that.

On what xhunterko is saying, there's also a rule prohibiting killing a character by violent means, so the character may always be brought back. We do have ghosts, so that might be a bit more lightly enforced here(I mean, we have two Globals in this thread, so if that's a sign...), but I will give credence to his point.

Rena was even designed to chase threats away—only resorting to harming if need be—so they can always come back should the player decide we need an exciting arc again. And then paranormal stuff happened and put Rena in positions like what she's in now. Fighting something she doesn't understand—let alone know in any depth—using only the means she has available to her. For her it's a highly disadvantageous predicament. There's so much that could go wrong and she assumes that she's only considering an insignificant fraction of the possibilities.

I've was having fun with it up until we started hitting the wall of "There's no way your characters know in which to make this end in a good way," which paints a pretty hopeless picture and takes the fun out.

Were the stakes different, like a side character's fate is tied up in either being an indentured servant to pay off a large monetary debt or the player characters winning some kind of jackpot to pay it off for the side character, a no-win event would be far more palatable.

However, you've clearly stated it's closer to a no-loss event and you have a good end in mind, we just haven't approached the situation right.

TL;DR version: I've been having fun, the only damper being that I now feel trapped in a situation where my character's only going to drive the path negatively.
Last edited by Leafolawl on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I can see you point, sort of I think. I believe i understand how everything seem to be like "doomed if you do, doomed if you don't" right now.

How about we wrap it up, let time moves again and everyone can get ready and move along to the fight scene?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm cool with moving to the fight scene.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I've been going with the flow. Wherever you think it's best to take it, I'll trust.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

thanks guys.
Also sorry for not posting, there's something going on at work that's putting a wrench in my writing gears, I'll try to post this weekend.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

oops, I totally forgot about Meri. My bad :oops:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

couple clarifications: is the time freeze still going on or was the vixen fading the signal of the end of that?
Serence Frostbite wrote:oops, I totally forgot about Meri. My bad :oops:
and 2: Meri's definitely still on board with the vixen's plans, so did she disappear with her? now that you haven;t forgotten her I mean.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

1: The group is now in a vision of the future, where time isn't frozen but there's nothing for anyone to do anyway. The wolf can send them back to their own time, but it will be night time, and time will no longer be frozen.

2: er..........I guess it's up to you? vale and i are having a little bit of a conversation between hubert and the fox, if you would like for Meri to be teleported with the fox, then I'll send you their conversation so far.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I'm so ready for this pay off.

suspicious laughter
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

hi guys, i know i'm the one who always be like "can we post faster please" and all that buuuut I'm kind of having a tiny bit of a problem finalizing the challenges for everyone , sooooo I'll be slow a little bit, but i'll try my best to post as soon as possible
sorry in advance ^^"
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Don't wait on Miles. He's currently passively watching and waiting.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

xhunterko wrote:Don't wait on Miles. He's currently passively watching and waiting.
gotcha

to answer Leaf's OOC in the RP thread, Rena and Buster are in a skyscraper , roughly 30-40 stories in height. They ARE in applegate, but centuries in the future when it already became a big city, not a small town anymore

also I finally got my lazy brain to post something, but i might have missed someone. If I did, feel free to yell at me XD
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I must have skipped over that in one of the walls of text. My bad.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

it's ok , no worries, the general point is they're still in a high building, so it's all good ^^
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Okay, I’m guessing something about the setup of this RP changed over time as I’m noticing people mentioning powers pretty often in here, and it looked like originally, it was your average slice of life type of RP. Not sure I’m considering joining, but I’m curious about where I can read when that change occurred if nothing else
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

That happened right at the start if you ask me, but there's been a pretty recent boom in it. The 'when' in the big boom takes a bit of context, but the fast place to start would be about five pages back.

Or I can be an awesome person and link you to roughly where the big jump in it is as far as I know.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... 01#p703701

I was also gone for a bit, so if the growth of magic/psychic stuff has been a consistent gradual build-up, then you'd be reading from the start.
Love me right now! Done.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Thanks. Also that’s an... interesting avatar
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

from the very beginning it was a slice of life with some elements of magic allowed, primarily ghosts at first. then ghosts became gods and malevolent spirits, and that has in the past... half a year? full year maybe?... become us using magicly gifted powers to save life as we know it.

once this story is done, we'll probably be slice of life for a while again until someone else comes up with an interesting magic storyline.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:from the very beginning it was a slice of life with some elements of magic allowed, primarily ghosts at first. then ghosts became gods and malevolent spirits, and that has in the past... half a year? full year maybe?... become us using magicly gifted powers to save life as we know it.

once this story is done, we'll probably be slice of life for a while again until someone else comes up with an interesting magic storyline.
Might join once it finishes then, kinda awkward to join a big storyline when you aren't used to the people you're roleplaying with just yet and that can throw off the rhythm of stuff
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

i'll try to wrap it up before this end up taking the rest of the decade. Sorry for the delay everyone, i'll try to movee things along before the end of this week
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Gameb18oy wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:from the very beginning it was a slice of life with some elements of magic allowed, primarily ghosts at first. then ghosts became gods and malevolent spirits, and that has in the past... half a year? full year maybe?... become us using magicly gifted powers to save life as we know it.

Might join once it finishes then, kinda awkward to join a big storyline when you aren't used to the people you're roleplaying with just yet and that can throw off the rhythm of stuff
actually we aren't letting anyone new join until this storyline is wrapped up for exactly that reason
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Which is why I'm so glad it's in character for Rena to be trying to get things done as fast as possible. I hate locking people out. :oops:
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Happy New Year. have black and white fireside art of Buster and Janus courtesy of Rick
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Too happy for words!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

aawwww that's sooo awesome ! :D
Happy new year eveeryone \^.^/
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

D'aww!
That's adorable! Make sure to link to it in their character sheets so we can find them again!

And happy new year, everyone!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Have some stunning photos of Russian Blue cats. When I say Ray has green eyes and smoky-coloured fur, this is what I'm talking about.

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Just a little explanation in case you guys are wondering: the vixen Rena is talking to arrived here on her own, so she doesn't know there's a fox spirit projecting a barrier around the town from the highest point of it, she simply knows that there is one.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Hope everyone's still doing ok during this whole mess of a year. It's not a poke or anything, just that I haven't heard much from anyone lately so just feel like checking in.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

so should I like, try to move things along or is this one kinda dead already ?