2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart]
Title Text: Do you have anything to say, Lampy from Brave Little Toaster colored green

Nothing says "all is forgiven" than regrets born from food comas you were invited to. :lol:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart

Post by Saturn381 »

What better way to forgive than Thanksgiving. :P
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

We've reached Thanksgiving already? But Halloween hasn't even started! Nobody tell her Cub about that one!
johnwolf

Post by johnwolf »

Hah, i get the Title text there XD.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Wow, Miles doesn’t know human culture as much as we thought. Thanksgiving is the time to say something offensive and alienate yourself from your family, not to make people like each other more.
The cape comes with the promotion.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gale: Well, well, well... H-How do we escape?!?
Miles: Did you hear that, boys? She wants to know how do we escape?
*all of the wolves laugh as Natalie plays an organ piano*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ooh, a thanksgiving story, that could interesting. We haven’t had one of those since King went to Kansas.

Also the fact that Miles actually took the time to write an actual invitation is kinda impressive. Although I do wonder if Gale has mastered email yet.

And you know what the most cliche thing to happen during Thanksgiving is? A estranged relative shows up unannounced and makes it awkward. *cough King’s dad

Oooh, you know what would be really cool? Introducing Gale to Black Friday! :D
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:We've reached Thanksgiving already? But Halloween hasn't even started! Nobody tell her Cub about that one!
They do like to prep early.
GameCobra wrote:Gale: Well, well, well... H-How do we escape?!?
Love the reference.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Welp can't wait to see her again at Thanksgiving! :D
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

That is a very good way for trying to reconnect with someone. Good thinking Miles!
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Aww man I just realized that the entire camping trip DID take place in April or May...now I’m not sure but anyway it wasn’t June like I thought.

I also wanted to say Miles look extra cute his glasses on lately.
Bandit1990 wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Gale: Well, well, well... H-How do we escape?!?
Love the reference.
Okay I’ll bite: what is it a reference to?
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Ah yes, the best way to make piece with your worst enemy: Food :mrgreen:
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I'm sure this dead horse has already been beaten to life in previous pages, but I'd still kinda like to know what happened to King and Bailey during the rest of that camping trip. Or just how that night ended in general. Just what kind of awkward aftermath must've followed the whole Puma going The Predator on the whole wolf family thing?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay I’ll bite: what is it a reference to?
This song From The Brave Little Toaster.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

An invitation to celebrate
is the smartest move by Miles;
a dictate to get together
and replace frowns with smiles.
Pueblo can play with the cubs
as his mom maybe forgives,
in one November story
where everyone probably lives.
I wonder if she’ll bring food?
If so, who will she try for?
Who will we need to escape
before she pins them to the floor?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You know what else. Thanksgiving is another reminder how cruel this world really is if you think about it too hard. :shock:
Bandit1990 wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Okay I’ll bite: what is it a reference to?
This song From The Brave Little Toaster.
Oh great, now it’s stuck in my head.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Touching, funny, and brilliantly depicted as always, Rick. Love the tacky paneling in Yale's office - does she sell time-shares on the side?

Thanks for The Brave Little Toaster reference, Bandit.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

D-Rock wrote:[2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart]
Title Text: Do you have anything to say, Lampy from Brave Little Toaster colored green
"Invitation to Thanksgiving"... that is what Lampy is saying :P
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'm just noticing how Mile's tail appears to go through the couch he's sitting on. Does the couch have a hole in the back specifically for that purpose?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Nobody wrote:I'm just noticing how Mile's tail appears to go through the couch he's sitting on. Does the couch have a hole in the back specifically for that purpose?
There was no hole. Miles is that tough and strong.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

So, I was looking to see what religion would be most attractive to animals by looking up the one that has the most holidays.

Looks like that's Hinduism.

Now I'm wondering if elephants in the HP! world are two-legged or four-legged. They're not hoofed animals, after all.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Gale: "What are we doing on this human holiday?"

Miles: "The same thing as on every human holiday. We eat way too much food an regret it that evening."

And this as background music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkT19uH2RQ

That was the first thing that came to my mind as I read that :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Say, wouldn't not just food, but a dreamboat of a mate also be the way to a puma's heart? Gale is being gipped here!

It occurred to me this is probably going to be a family Thanksgiving. I would suspect King's family be there as well.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You think we’ll jump straight to a Thanksgiving Story or quickly go into Halloween. The new “Pet Semetary” trailer was released and it got my brain thoughts overflowing.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Good for Gale, she's now different and is sorry for the past things against Miles. :) Your excuses are now enough, I guess. ;) Nice invitation. :D Eheh, where there's meat to eat, a puma is always present. :P I'd say that only humans regret to have ate too much food. Is it too hard to say stop when you feel to be full? :?
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I don't know if I missed something, but I still don't understand what happened between Miles and Gale.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We're waitin' on the "reveal", Mac... I think...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

As Argent said earlier, Noodle Incident.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Macsen wrote:I don't know if I missed something, but I still don't understand what happened between Miles and Gale.
Yeah join the club. As far as I can tell Miles and Gale were friends but Gale wanted a family but Miles feared overpopulation of predators so he convinced her not to do it. Then he had kids behind Gale’s back. She got upset, Miles got upset, feelings got hurt, Miles left the forest with the pack, Gale’s feelings were hurt again because she felt abandoned by what we can assume were the only other predators around and her only friends. Then the pack came back and Gale was still bitter about the whole thing. There were so many reasons which muddied the water that no one could figure it out.

I often wonder if Rick actually had a reason at the beginning then kept changing his mind but it too late. Let's say reason A was they were invading Gale's territory. That was the first thing that was hinted at (flat out said) in the comic. Then it was reinforced with Jack and Gale's conversation but that led to reason B (or what I assume was reason B) Gale's scar. After that things got weird because Miles and Gale mentioned "falling off a cliff" so let's call that reason C whether or not it was meant to be a bad joke. Then there's reason D which was Gale not being able to have kids because Miles said "no more predators except my kids". That was reinforced by her saying "you stole years from me...blah blah blah...I had to pass by opportunities for a family for so long." Then reason E which was "You upped and left and you didn't even say goodbye." This is a more a significant reason when you take into account Reason A and Reason D. Like I said feelings were hurt. And she said "Hurts, doesn't it" when she sees Miles sitting alone with his family gone.

Judging from all this I have to say that the real reason (and the entire chapter), whatever it be, was too ambiguous. We talk about this a lot in workshop. How to imply the meaning of something without saying it outright or making it so vague that there are too many possibilities? There are 5 reasons for Gale's anger as far I can tell. Some better than others and some that may have been stretched too far. Each one was undeveloped and replaced by another one at a time. It's that inconstancy that kills me. If it was Reason A and they invaded territory and she was defending it as well as working through some abandonment issues that would have fine. The biggest flaw was the reason D. That was too much of a stretch especially after she already had Pueblo. It made no sense to be angry about something that did not even matter anymore especially when there were more perfectly reasonable reasons. Then Miles and Daryl even pointed it out but then she just like "Yeah and I would do anything for him!" But why are you still mad about it then? Because it didn't happen when you wanted it too, welcome to life. It you cut that out entirely and maybe developed reason B more than I personally believe the chapter would have made sense.

The problem was that we never learned what their relationship was before this beyond Gale being the forest’s nurse. Miles and Gale were friends but Gale felt betrayed and abandoned. Honestly the anger was overdramatized to the point it was ridiculous instead of funny. Even with the abandonment issues in place there was something off about the whole thing and a lot of people noticed. There were a lot of missed opportunities for explanation and backstory. Then the time jump just killed it all together. Let's face it. This chapter was way to ambitious for such a narrow length of time and this type of media. When you have so few panels and space to work with there is not a lot you can do especially if you want it to be in real time. But the alternative is worse. TwoKinds takes years to complete a plot.

Now we have to imply what happened ourselves and watch as their relationship is redeveloped which is probably a good thing. Honestly them being together does allow for more historical evidence to present itself so we can fill in the gaps. The more time they spend together the more we learn about who they were back when they still lived together in the woods. And what better way to bring up old issues than Thanksgiving.

That brings me to my final point (yes a sixth paragraph and yes I'm ashamed) we don't know what Rick's method of writing is. We don't know how far or how much planning he does ahead of a chapter or a year or anything. How many details are planned out in advance. We don't know if anyone actually proofreads or edits each strip before they are uploaded or if someone in his personal life points out these kind of problems before the strip is even made. How much storyboarding is done before hand. Worse of all is that we don't know how much is changed from the "original" concept to the "final" concept. What he planned back in June could be completely different than what was actually posted because either he changed his mind, we complained, there were just flaws, or etc. That includes future strips down the road. We don't know if all of this was meant to be because it would be further developed in a different setting under different circumstances or even not at all. The reason I point this out is that it could be that all of this was intentional, planned, and crafted with good intent but we aren’t seeing it. Are we the problem? Are we just bad readers by not seeing or picking up on the clues being sprinkled in each scene? Is it being changed because we are bad people who don’t see what should be obvious?
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Yeah join the club. As far as I can tell Miles and Gale were friends but Gale wanted a family but Miles feared overpopulation of predators so he convinced her not to do it. Then he had kids behind Gale’s back. She got upset, Miles got upset, feelings got hurt, Miles left the forest with the pack, Gale’s feelings were hurt again because she felt abandoned by what we can assume were the only other predators around and her only friends.
About that. Then when the pack came back Gale had by this time become hardened to the absence of the wolves and took it as yet another betrayal and a challenge to her territory.
There were so many reasons which muddied the water that no one could figure it out.
You seem to have figured out a perfectly credible scenario up there.

Not seeing how this is a mystery at this point. Miles screwed up and compounded the problem by overreacting to Gale's overreaction, and Gale took it hard.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Y'all the reason for Gale being upset was really straight-forwardly laid out several times. Fenrir's first paragraph is absolutely correct. Just accept that explanation at face value, cause it's truly no more complicated than that =3
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:Y'all the reason for Gale being upset was really straight-forwardly laid out several times. Fenrir's first paragraph is absolutely correct. Just accept that explanation at face value, cause it's truly no more complicated than that =3
Just to be safe, i'll sum it one more time :3

Gale is upset that Miles left her out of the loop that he was starting a bigger family. They were both so close they talked about serious stuff about their families like how many mouths the family can support. Gale feels betrayed because she was looking to start a family around that time. The wolves lost three family members at that time and Gale could have had cubs, but instead she finds out Lucrecia is having three more cubs, very likely forcing her to wait longer.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

And now that is all settled, I’m honestly ready to move on now. I said my piece and now I’m over it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So...the scar was a shaving accident? ;)
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

fenrirblack wrote:You think we’ll jump straight to a Thanksgiving Story or quickly go into Halloween. The new “Pet Semetary” trailer was released and it got my brain thoughts overflowing.
It's been a LOOONG Time since we had a Halloween themed strip relating to the Story (or any Holiday for that matter), so I second this. What if it was something whole like King and Bailey taking their Pups out Trick-Or-Treating?
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:So...the scar was a shaving accident? ;)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Yeah join the club. As far as I can tell Miles and Gale were friends but Gale wanted a family but Miles feared overpopulation of predators so he convinced her not to do it. Then he had kids behind Gale’s back. She got upset, Miles got upset, feelings got hurt, Miles left the forest with the pack, Gale’s feelings were hurt again because she felt abandoned by what we can assume were the only other predators around and her only friends.
About that. Then when the pack came back Gale had by this time become hardened to the absence of the wolves and took it as yet another betrayal and a challenge to her territory.
There were so many reasons which muddied the water that no one could figure it out.
You seem to have figured out a perfectly credible scenario up there.

Not seeing how this is a mystery at this point. Miles screwed up and compounded the problem by overreacting to Gale's overreaction, and Gale took it hard.
He does have a credible scenario, doesn't he? Fenrir has spotted the salient points (I think). But he needs to scramble them up to get the one, continuous, plot.

Gale, Miles and the pack knew each other and agreed that there needed to be a finite number of predators in the area. That's D going first along with Lucretia having cubs. Next comes C and B in that order. Something happened that ended with Gale going over a cliff and that may well be what caused her scar. THEN Miles had the final conversation with Gale that led to E, where Miles realised there was no reason to hang around any more. Rather than stay and fight, he left and took his family with him, not knowing that that really wasn't what Glae wanted. All that hurt and resentment then festered so, when A occurred and the Wolves came back, she believed they were planning on resettling as she didn't know what they'd been doing in the meantime. After all, if they were coming back, they must assume there was no competition. But it was her home. HER LAND. She chose to defend through her anger and hurt clouding her own judgement.

We were given all the information needed - with some gaps for future possible use - but not in chronological order.

When she gets told, by Miles, that a better life is a possibility, notice how quickly she takes that in. She wanted out of the wild too.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, the reason behind Gale's actions never changed; our perspective of it changed as we were given more information. Rick just unfolded the compounding reasons little by little until we had the whole picture.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

"A thing I notice some people absolutely hate about my work is that they'll latch onto my method of revealing details--saying something that barely hints at a much larger story--and take that as a promise to tell the hidden backstory

Well, no. I'm sorry to disappoint people but it is not, has never been and will never be my intention to dive in and explain absolutely everything I hint at, down to the last detail. That is not how I view stories. A solid explanation of some side info isn't going to enrich you

My view has always been so long as I explain everything relevant to the plot, that's all I'm obligated to share, and everything else is just bonus. My purpose in providing extra detail cues is to prompt the reader to think of the world as much larger than the plot, not to BE plot

So all the vitriol over "but you didn't explain if that's how jack lost his arm/how gale got her scar/how Poncho got injured/anything else that happened between gale and miles/what happened in the six month time skip"
is
absolutely
unnecessary

And for the record, the six-month time skip gag was planned from the moment I introduced Gale. It seemed hilarious to me so I ran with it.

I do that.

So, sorry if anyone thought Housepets was some elaborately plotted interconnected story building up to some grand point, and not a hodgepodge of whatever seems to be the most interesting idea to pursue at any given time with a couple themes I keep returning to" @RicksWriting

Well isn't that interesting. It's almost the exact opposite of how I write.
*Sigh* At least he said it so we can have some closure, I guess. And it did answer my question from yesterday.
And I think deep down we all knew. We just thought things would be different after Year 10. I did anyway.

I find this fascinating. The inner workings of Rick's mind.... :shock:
"My elaborate plans for housepets:
What's the next arc gonna be?
Wanna do story with Breel again, but not too soon
Wanna do story with demons again, but not too soon
Need to return to the Bino/Duchess arc again
Need to do something with the coin
Need to do something about Tarot

At least one of those should involve the fox twins
Probably explain what happened with Maxwell and Rufus because I made way too big a point about it
Could stand to further Mungo and Fox story
etc
I have a lot of "need to do this at some point" thoughts, basically" @RicksWriting

Excuse us for thinking there was some there was elaborate long term plan considering Year 10 ended with Pete and Dragon plotting their return to power and "Shifty-Eyes" Steward looked like he was plotting something worse. Not to mention the overdramatic dino demon and the whole "Then the Contract is Sealed" thing. Shame on us. Shame on me. ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:"A thing I notice some people absolutely hate about my work is that they'll latch onto my method of revealing details--saying something that barely hints at a much larger story--and take that as a promise to tell the hidden backstory

Well, no. I'm sorry to disappoint people but it is not, has never been and will never be my intention to dive in and explain absolutely everything I hint at, down to the last detail. That is not how I view stories. A solid explanation of some side info isn't going to enrich you

My view has always been so long as I explain everything relevant to the plot, that's all I'm obligated to share, and everything else is just bonus. My purpose in providing extra detail cues is to prompt the reader to think of the world as much larger than the plot, not to BE plot

So all the vitriol over "but you didn't explain if that's how jack lost his arm/how gale got her scar/how Poncho got injured/anything else that happened between gale and miles/what happened in the six month time skip"
is
absolutely
unnecessary

And for the record, the six-month time skip gag was planned from the moment I introduced Gale. It seemed hilarious to me so I ran with it.

I do that.

So, sorry if anyone thought Housepets was some elaborately plotted interconnected story building up to some grand point, and not a hodgepodge of whatever seems to be the most interesting idea to pursue at any given time with a couple themes I keep returning to" @RicksWriting

Well isn't that interesting. It's almost the exact opposite of how I write.
*Sigh* At least he said it so we can have some closure, I guess. And it did answer my question from yesterday.
And I think deep down we all knew. We just thought things would be different after Year 10. I did anyway.

I find this fascinating. The inner workings of Rick's mind.... :shock:
"My elaborate plans for housepets:
What's the next arc gonna be?
Wanna do story with Breel again, but not too soon
Wanna do story with demons again, but not too soon
Need to return to the Bino/Duchess arc again
Need to do something with the coin
Need to do something about Tarot

At least one of those should involve the fox twins
Probably explain what happened with Maxwell and Rufus because I made way too big a point about it
Could stand to further Mungo and Fox story
etc
I have a lot of "need to do this at some point" thoughts, basically" @RicksWriting

Excuse us for thinking there was some there was elaborate long term plan considering Year 10 ended with Pete and Dragon plotting their return to power and "Shifty-Eyes" Steward looked like he was plotting something worse. Not to mention the overdramatic dino demon and the whole "Then the Contract is Sealed" thing. Shame on us. Shame on me. ;)
Where’d you get this? And does this really belong in the part on the latest comic? It’s interesting, but out of place here. Also, personally, I’m not surprised by this. Rick might have a basic framework on some of these ideas, but the way the arcs are setup, I’m not surprised he thought them all up separately. I’m just glad that he setup notes about the details he focused on, I’d be more offended if he just assumed we’d forget about them over time. And aside from arguably Bino/Duchess, all this stuff sounds exciting to see, and been awhile since the last Bino arc and I’m all for an arc that has little to no major impact on plot, which Bino’s arcs often are. I don’t know, I don’t think this stuff is anything to be upset with, but maybe that’s just me