2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2018/10/10 - The Way To A Puma’s Heart

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:"A thing I notice some people absolutely hate about my work is that they'll latch onto my method of revealing details--saying something that barely hints at a much larger story--and take that as a promise to tell the hidden backstory

Well, no. I'm sorry to disappoint people but it is not, has never been and will never be my intention to dive in and explain absolutely everything I hint at, down to the last detail. That is not how I view stories. A solid explanation of some side info isn't going to enrich you

My view has always been so long as I explain everything relevant to the plot, that's all I'm obligated to share, and everything else is just bonus. My purpose in providing extra detail cues is to prompt the reader to think of the world as much larger than the plot, not to BE plot

So all the vitriol over "but you didn't explain if that's how jack lost his arm/how gale got her scar/how Poncho got injured/anything else that happened between gale and miles/what happened in the six month time skip"
is
absolutely
unnecessary

And for the record, the six-month time skip gag was planned from the moment I introduced Gale. It seemed hilarious to me so I ran with it.

I do that.

So, sorry if anyone thought Housepets was some elaborately plotted interconnected story building up to some grand point, and not a hodgepodge of whatever seems to be the most interesting idea to pursue at any given time with a couple themes I keep returning to" @RicksWriting

Well isn't that interesting. It's almost the exact opposite of how I write.
*Sigh* At least he said it so we can have some closure, I guess. And it did answer my question from yesterday.
And I think deep down we all knew. We just thought things would be different after Year 10. I did anyway.

I find this fascinating. The inner workings of Rick's mind.... :shock:
"My elaborate plans for housepets:
What's the next arc gonna be?
Wanna do story with Breel again, but not too soon
Wanna do story with demons again, but not too soon
Need to return to the Bino/Duchess arc again
Need to do something with the coin
Need to do something about Tarot

At least one of those should involve the fox twins
Probably explain what happened with Maxwell and Rufus because I made way too big a point about it
Could stand to further Mungo and Fox story
etc
I have a lot of "need to do this at some point" thoughts, basically" @RicksWriting

Excuse us for thinking there was some there was elaborate long term plan considering Year 10 ended with Pete and Dragon plotting their return to power and "Shifty-Eyes" Steward looked like he was plotting something worse. Not to mention the overdramatic dino demon and the whole "Then the Contract is Sealed" thing. Shame on us. Shame on me. ;)
Where’d you get this? And does this really belong in the part on the latest comic? It’s interesting, but out of place here. Also, personally, I’m not surprised by this. Rick might have a basic framework on some of these ideas, but the way the arcs are setup, I’m not surprised he thought them all up separately. I’m just glad that he setup notes about the details he focused on, I’d be more offended if he just assumed we’d forget about them over time. And aside from arguably Bino/Duchess, all this stuff sounds exciting to see, and been awhile since the last Bino arc and I’m all for an arc that has little to no major impact on plot, which Bino’s arcs often are. I don’t know, I don’t think this stuff is anything to be upset with, but maybe that’s just me
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: Where’d you get this? And does this really belong in the part on the latest comic? It’s interesting, but out of place here. Also, personally, I’m not surprised by this. Rick might have a basic framework on some of these ideas, but the way the arcs are setup, I’m not surprised he thought them all up separately. I’m just glad that he setup notes about the details he focused on, I’d be more offended if he just assumed we’d forget about them over time. And aside from arguably Bino/Duchess, all this stuff sounds exciting to see, and been awhile since the last Bino arc and I’m all for an arc that has little to no major impact on plot, which Bino’s arcs often are. I don’t know, I don’t think this stuff is anything to be upset with, but maybe that’s just me
It's literally what he put on Twitter a few hours ago. And where else would put it? It's really revenant for this chapter considering a lot of his points made were because of all the complaining done during this chapter.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Just thought to look there. I’d like to apologize if you were being a bit tongue in cheek with some of your responses, I think I’m in a bit of a protective mood right now for some odd reason so I didn’t consider that. The complaining was pretty bad this time wasn’t it though?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Well, Rick cleared the air so to speak. He finally flat out told us "This is how it is. Get over it." I feel like it should be bannered across the forum.
Instead of "Now in HD" it should read "So, sorry if anyone thought Housepets was some elaborately plotted interconnected story building up to some grand point, and not a hodgepodge of whatever seems to be the most interesting idea to pursue at any given time with a couple themes I keep returning to."

Now we know what to expect and what not to expect so hopefully that will curve some of the more pestering posts. Although I won't lie that I am disappointed that there isn't some elaborate story unfolding in front of our eyes or that we'll all die never knowing simple things like how Jack lost his arm or where Gale's scar came from. Reading all that really did sting and now I feel lost about my place on the forum if not to create wildly complex theories and overanalyze every detail as I blindly search for meaning in all this. I guess I could just stick with pointing out how adorable everyone is. I have soul-searching to do.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:we'll all die never knowing simple things like how Jack lost his arm
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

fenrirblack wrote:Well isn't that interesting. It's almost the exact opposite of how I write.
*Sigh* At least he said it so we can have some closure, I guess. And it did answer my question from yesterday.
And I think deep down we all knew. We just thought things would be different after Year 10. I did anyway.
Hasn’t he outright stated that’s how he writes a couple times before?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Probably but it must have been before I and others started reading the comic or even knew who he was in general. It was time for a reminder I guess. Like I said it should be put Somewhere as a permenant reminder. Or not. I mean this is the eleventh year so I guess the cycle of complaint and retaliation is good enough. :D
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:Probably but it must have been before I and others started reading the comic or even knew who he was in general. It was time for a reminder I guess. Like I said it should be put Somewhere as a permenant reminder. Or not. I mean this is the eleventh year so I guess the cycle of complaint and retaliation is good enough
Always has been. Life's like that but there's no good thing that would come out of a permanent reminder. The freedom to complain, whilst appreciating the strip, is one of the best things about these forums. Like me, you have the freedom to be right in your eyes and wrong on subjects in others eyes. Nothing bar politeness should restrict your ability to complain in a constructive way.

Don't worry about it, my friend.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...and this is why I stay off Twitter. Like Welsh said, politeness goes a long way, especially when you're got a strong opinion or feeling contradictory. Patience doesn't hurt, either.
Rick also likes some mysteries around his characters. Not all gets answered right away. Maybe next strip. Or next arc. Or never. Me, I just enjoy (I like that word, if you haven't noticed). Fun is part of why Housepets! holds and delights me. I like fun. So does Rick...and sometimes being Rick may not be fun. After all, a tropical storm just came bopping through Alabama.

But it't'ain't personal, Fen. Be not dismayed, chum. Regards. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just remember: Don't make Rick cry. I doubt the internet could handle it. :)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:Just remember: Don't make Rick cry. I doubt the internet could handle it. :)
I don’t think Rick was the one crying today.

I think the problem is that the comic became too serious in a way. Like it isnt all haunted houses and water wars anymore. Characters got together, had kids, Gods fell, and there was a lot more drama. Now I don’t know how to participate on the forum without sounding needlessly complementary or complain/question something that Rick literally just said wasn’t important and was not going be important...ever. I don’t know how to give constructive anything if there’s no depth to the story. I have to relearn Ricks entire writing style and comic structure then base my opinions on everything I learned today.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

You need to take things into perspective!

It's a funny animal romcom:

Nice lampshade, Peanut!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

fenrirblack wrote:Well, Rick cleared the air so to speak. He finally flat out told us "This is how it is. Get over it." I feel like it should be bannered across the forum.
Instead of "Now in HD" it should read "So, sorry if anyone thought Housepets was some elaborately plotted interconnected story building up to some grand point, and not a hodgepodge of whatever seems to be the most interesting idea to pursue at any given time with a couple themes I keep returning to."
People complained a lot when things shifted toward long arcs and away from the slice-of-life stuff. Some plot points are considered months or years in advance, but minute details are usually not decided till shortly before a strip comes together.
fenrirblack wrote:Now we know what to expect and what not to expect so hopefully that will curve some of the more pestering posts. Although I won't lie that I am disappointed that there isn't some elaborate story unfolding in front of our eyes or that we'll all die never knowing simple things like how Jack lost his arm or where Gale's scar came from. Reading all that really did sting and now I feel lost about my place on the forum if not to create wildly complex theories and overanalyze every detail as I blindly search for meaning in all this. I guess I could just stick with pointing out how adorable everyone is. I have soul-searching to do.
The forum's here for people to have fun and interact with each other. If you derive enjoyment from theorizing and analysis, go hog wild! Maybe you could apply your skillset and fill in the blanks; a fair few people enjoy writing fan fiction.

And if you are, by any chance, feeling the target of some animosity, bear in mind there are people who've argued with Rick (across multiple posts and threads and arcs) about plot and whether he understands his characters and setting; folks who've said they hoped Rick would die and someone else would take over Housepets! (which I always considered logically weird); and people who come onto the forum seemingly to stir up negative feelings. I've personally shut down discussion threads over hostility toward Rick. Insatiable curiosity isn't a problem. Suggesting Rick is inept or other users are brainless for liking the way the comic works are problems.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Dissension wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Now we know what to expect and what not to expect so hopefully that will curve some of the more pestering posts. Although I won't lie that I am disappointed that there isn't some elaborate story unfolding in front of our eyes or that we'll all die never knowing simple things like how Jack lost his arm or where Gale's scar came from. Reading all that really did sting and now I feel lost about my place on the forum if not to create wildly complex theories and overanalyze every detail as I blindly search for meaning in all this. I guess I could just stick with pointing out how adorable everyone is. I have soul-searching to do.
The forum's here for people to have fun and interact with each other. If you derive enjoyment from theorizing and analysis, go hog wild! Maybe you could apply your skillset and fill in the blanks; a fair few people enjoy writing fan fiction.

And if you are, by any chance, feeling the target of some animosity, bear in mind there are people who've argued with Rick (across multiple posts and threads and arcs) about plot and whether he understands his characters and setting; folks who've said they hoped Rick would die and someone else would take over Housepets! (which I always considered logically weird); and people who come onto the forum seemingly to stir up negative feelings. I've personally shut down discussion threads over hostility toward Rick. Insatiable curiosity isn't a problem. Suggesting Rick is inept or other users are brainless for liking the way the comic works are problems.
Rick's writing style is his own. I can't tell him or anyone how to write anything just like no one can't tell me how write my stories, novels, or my fan fiction. But seriously though, people actually said that? I knew Deviant Art was bad but I never expected that here. I don't want to complain or question his writing style but it really is different from mine which makes it harder to digest. I'm still going to theorize and try to do what I can but it's not the same. I'm glad a new strip is coming tonight because I might have ruined this page.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I don't think you've 'ruined' anything. :b

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

You're talking to a guy whose worst nightmare is people pointing out how buff his characters are.

Moreso than usual.

That, and people that totally miss his mastermind of jokes. :(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote:You're talking to a guy whose worst nightmare is people pointing out how buff his characters are.

Moreso than usual.

That, and people that totally miss his mastermind of jokes. :(
It bad for a moment I thought you were talking about Rick, and that the first thing that made me think in relation to that is “but I like Rick’s buff guys”
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Rick's writing style is his own. I can't tell him or anyone how to write anything just like no one can't tell me how write my stories, novels, or my fan fiction. But seriously though, people actually said that? I knew Deviant Art was bad but I never expected that here. I don't want to complain or question his writing style but it really is different from mine which makes it harder to digest. I'm still going to theorize and try to do what I can but it's not the same. I'm glad a new strip is coming tonight because I might have ruined this page.
If it means anything, I enjoy reading your theories.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
lixl

Post by lixl »

New here -

I just want to say, having read Rick's statement, I think it's awesome he likes to leave some things open-ended.

A lot of media gets the fans asking all sorts of questions, and some writers try to answer all of them. Really though, when everything is explained, it's kind of...done. That's canon now. You can always retcon, but that just means the more you explain, the more you'll probably retcon later. Which probably leads to a lot more people getting mad and arguing over what's right and wrong, and trying to once-and-for-all make sense of the old stuff in context of the retcons, that in itself being subjective.

To me, leaving details of the world floating lends itself to imagination. Where there's no canon, fanon can abound. A few times I had trouble understanding what was going on, but most of the time it resolved itself, and when it hasn't, I haven't had trouble making fairly safe assumptions given how the characters carry forward. I also noticed it's way easier to follow reading in sequence than one-a-day as it comes out, even though I can't help but check the new page once it's up. (Speaking of, looking at the time...)

Also, this has been a more serious arc, but still interspersed with humor. Most of the drama seemed to culminate in the last few strips of the cave. Regardless, it didn't feel like 'this is the new housepets forever' or something. Each arc has its own flavor. I never felt like the humor that's been there from the start was going to disappear. I don't know what Rick's going to do, but it doesn't feel like suddenly changing the tone completely, at least. I look forward to each new strip, and future arcs.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ruined? Naaaaawwwww... It's Housepets!, remember.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Good to see that after 6 months spent in civilization, Gale finally starts being reasonable ^^

Also, there is a bit of similarity between Gale's "I want to forgive you and stop being angry, but I don't know how", and Fox's long confession to Sabrina about actually not hating Fido and her.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and, again, another astute comparison, Soerix. Emotions are kind like that fer real, ain't they?