Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

midnight

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by midnight »

Saturn381 wrote:I just realized something regarding the new Smash Bros game. Early next year is Smash's 20th anniversary, so having every single character in Ultimate make perfect sense.
Well, something else, the fact that the "selecting character" menu have the original characters from the first smash bros is a really good detail.
"Do you expect me to write a good reference? How about: Spartans never die, only dissapear in combat"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wish it was just 8 instead of 12 to start with, though. That'd be really cool.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm planing on getting it myself. feels like the only thign i want on my switch at this point <3

but nothing b eats that Resident Evil 2 remake. Good lord does that look beautiful. (And gory :3)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Getting back into playing Terraria with a couple mods. Lots of new enemies, weapons, and mechanics really make the early game more dangerous, which really brings me back to the early days when I was actually scared to go out at night and had to play super careful so I wouldn't die. Makes the game seem almost new again. :3
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

KJOokami wrote:Getting back into playing Terraria with a couple mods. Lots of new enemies, weapons, and mechanics really make the early game more dangerous, which really brings me back to the early days when I was actually scared to go out at night and had to play super careful so I wouldn't die. Makes the game seem almost new again. :3
Terraria is probably one of the top games I've ever played :D, I haven't tried it modded though.
Allons-y
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Same. It is far and away my most played game on Steam. :D Have like 350-ish hours on it, most of which I clocked back around the time it first came out. Then I came back for a little bit after the huge patch that added end-game stuff, and now I'm coming back again.

I'm currently using the Terraria Overhaul and Calamity mods. I usually don't mess with mods cause I get confused super easily if they don't explain step-by-step how to get it working, but I was able to find a post that walked me through the installation and I've been enjoying them so far.
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

That's cool, I haven't completely finished the game, but I once I do I'll have to try out some mods.
Allons-y
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:Getting back into playing Terraria with a couple mods. Lots of new enemies, weapons, and mechanics really make the early game more dangerous, which really brings me back to the early days when I was actually scared to go out at night and had to play super careful so I wouldn't die. Makes the game seem almost new again. :3
Sharing that feeling with my friends was super fun. We had an amazing time with the original Terraria, and they're memories I really cherish. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Sharing that feeling with my friends was super fun. We had an amazing time with the original Terraria, and they're memories I really cherish. :3
Unfortunately, I didn't have anybody to play it with, but it was definitely a time I cherished. I always love a game that can make me feel like a true explorer, and Terraria did that for me. The progression of building a tiny, barely functional shack just to keep from dying to zombies at night, exploring the surface until you find a corrupted area and realize you can't mine anything there and the enemies are too strong to fight reliably, digging down below your shack to find some basic minerals so you can survive deeper treks to get better gear and eventually return to the corruption, finding your first grappling hook and having your movement options suddenly open up in a million new directions... just so many different spikes in power and mobility that gradually open up the game world in an organic way really makes it feel like you're adventuring and discovering new things all the time.

God, I could gush about this game forever. I'm sorry. :lol:
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

KJOokami wrote:
Sleet wrote:Sharing that feeling with my friends was super fun. We had an amazing time with the original Terraria, and they're memories I really cherish. :3
Unfortunately, I didn't have anybody to play it with, but it was definitely a time I cherished.
Same, I have zero friends or anyone to play it with :/
KJOokami wrote: I always love a game that can make me feel like a true explorer, and Terraria did that for me. The progression of building a tiny, barely functional shack just to keep from dying to zombies at night, exploring the surface until you find a corrupted area and realize you can't mine anything there and the enemies are too strong to fight reliably, digging down below your shack to find some basic minerals so you can survive deeper treks to get better gear and eventually return to the corruption, finding your first grappling hook and having your movement options suddenly open up in a million new directions... just so many different spikes in power and mobility that gradually open up the game world in an organic way really makes it feel like you're adventuring and discovering new things all the time.
Your description makes me want to play through the game again :lol:
Allons-y
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:
Unfortunately, I didn't have anybody to play it with, but it was definitely a time I cherished. I always love a game that can make me feel like a true explorer, and Terraria did that for me. The progression of building a tiny, barely functional shack just to keep from dying to zombies at night, exploring the surface until you find a corrupted area and realize you can't mine anything there and the enemies are too strong to fight reliably, digging down below your shack to find some basic minerals so you can survive deeper treks to get better gear and eventually return to the corruption, finding your first grappling hook and having your movement options suddenly open up in a million new directions... just so many different spikes in power and mobility that gradually open up the game world in an organic way really makes it feel like you're adventuring and discovering new things all the time.

God, I could gush about this game forever. I'm sorry. :lol:
It was pretty great! It's the kind of game where the "endgame" isn't really attractive. Though getting there is awesome.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

my experience with that game was more the arduous task of mob-proofing the entire planet so i could build in peace. personally i prefer starbound. the enemy spam is no where near as annoying.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Buster wrote:my experience with that game was more the arduous task of mob-proofing the entire planet so i could build in peace. personally i prefer starbound. the enemy spam is no where near as annoying.
Really? Huh. In my experience, there's not really much in terms of enemies to stop you from building in the base game. Maybe for the first few nights the eyes could be a nuisance, since they fly, but after you get a little armor and a decent weapon they become pretty negligible. And everything else can be blocked by a 5 or 6 block high wall on either side of your building area.

Still, though, I will admit that if building is your only goal, Terraria is probably not for you. Unlike Minecraft, the focus is really more on exploring the world, improving your gear, and trying to make it to the endgame. There are much better games for pure building.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

you would be correct in assuming that in those types of games i don't want to do anything but build. having to stop every time i get too deep or it gets dark and start mob proofing is a pain, especially since needing to be an enclosed space with proper walls and lighting its a lot more involved than just slapping down a bazillion torches ala minecraft.

starbound mobs are a lot dumber and squishier outside the mission areas so you can basically ignore them, and their activity level is based on planet type not time of day.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could also play with friends! In my circle we had people who liked to explore, people who liked to build, etc.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

I'm excited that Sakurai not only has put Ridley in Smash, but has his Meta Ridley skin from the original Prime Trilogy in it as well. A very challenging late game boss! :D
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

A while ago, the app game, Power Rangers Legacy Wars had a crossover update. It's now going all the way.

New character was added in for the crossover, too.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

that is the kind of awesome stupid that makes for games that are either ridiculously great, or the worst thing the industry put out that year. there is no middle ground.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Power Rangers has previously crossed over with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Justice League. What's one more left-field crossover? At least I think that the Ryu Ranger has a cool design.

Frankly, considering the aforementioned crossovers, surprised that the Rangers didn't show up in Injustice. :roll:
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

New Smash Direct is out. I swear every time more information about the Smash Bros. gets released, it gets better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kQWJrjRV4
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh my gosh I am so excited for that game. I love the steady trickle of SSBU information. It reminds me of all the hype for SSBB. SSB4 never really had all the hype a SSB game deserved, so it's good to be back!
midnight

Post by midnight »

Saturn381 wrote:New Smash Direct is out. I swear every time more information about the Smash Bros. gets released, it gets better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kQWJrjRV4
See castlevania crossover with ssb: Hype

Chrom and dark samus as echo characters: Super hype

900 Themes and 300 scenaries ( great english xd) : MEGA HYPE.

King K roll as playable character: JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY SAKURAI!!!
"Do you expect me to write a good reference? How about: Spartans never die, only dissapear in combat"
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The more I hear about the new Smash, the more excited I am for it. They are giving you so many options for so many different aspects of the game that they never had in previous iterations, and I am 100% here for it. Options to set up mid-game stage shifts? Sure! Options to customize which music tracks play on which stages? Definitely! Options to turn off stage hazards? Oh my god, yes!

It seems like literally everything they are doing for this game is maximizing the number of ways you can micro-manage your game to suit any group of people you play with, and it's incredible. Tons of characters, tons of stages, a massive library of music, and a slew of new ways to customize individual matches. This is shaping up to be the best game in the series, and that is truly high praise.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Only problem I have with it is that apparently Final Fantasy is only getting two music tracks. You have no idea how badly I wanted a smashified version of J.E.N.O.V.A. or the soldier battle theme from Crisis Core.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Here's a question. With the whole echo fighter concept being a thing in Smash Ultimate, are there characters that you can definitely see be one? For me, the ones I can definitely see are Dixie King for Diddie, Zack for Cloud, Ken for Ryu, an Octoling for the Inklings, and either Shadow or Metal Sonic for Sonic.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Meta Ridley?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sleet wrote:Meta Ridley?
No, he’s an alternate skin for normal Ridley. Side note, if Dark Samus’ alts don’t pay homage to either the hunter trio from Prime 3, or the SA-X, I will be so nettled.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

DS is started out as an expy of SA-X though, so it's kinda hard not to.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Anyone else here play Fortnite? I decided to try it out after upgrading the sd card for my Switch, and I’ve been loving it. Even got the season pass, since that Kitsune mask in the Drift costume was impossible to pass up on.

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Fortnite is another game I'd probably be playing a decent amount of if my connection wasn't so poor. I played it a little bit, and I really enjoy the concept and art style, but online games just don't work for me. Lag makes it basically unplayable.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I play it at times, but these days it's reserved for World of Warcraft. Loving this expansion so far. Add me as GameCobra and i'll tag along when we get the chance :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
midnight

Post by midnight »

GameCobra wrote:I play it at times, but these days it's reserved for World of Warcraft. Loving this expansion so far. Add me as GameCobra and i'll tag along when we get the chance :3
I would tag along with you.....but i dont want to get addictec :lol:

If you have more online games i do can play with you.

Btw, the lag make impossible to win in fortnite.
I actually win ONE SINGLE TIME, and only because i was in squad and the whole squad were pro players. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I got Armello on Switch the other day. I'm not the greatest of strategists, thought, but it's neat nonetheless.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

GameCobra wrote:I play it at times, but these days it's reserved for World of Warcraft. Loving this expansion so far. Add me as GameCobra and i'll tag along when we get the chance :3
I haven't had the money to play WoW recently, but I'd love to get back into it. Maybe once I get my next paycheck I'll have enough leeway to start back up. If not with the new expansion, at least boot my account back up so I can keep leveling alts until I've got more money to drop on getting BFA. What race/class do you main?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's why I stopped World of Warcraft for good. If I let myself keep playing it, I wouldn't ever play anything else!

Great memories though.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

So didn't know we had a thread like this. So anyone excited about smash and/or that new fire emblem game that's coming out?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Brother preordered Smash a while ago, of course I'm excited! Gotta get a second set of controllers first, though.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

For Fire Emblem, I have never played a game from that series (yet), so no.

For Smash, HECK YEAH!!!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

On Smash Bros, OH GOD YES.
On Fire Emblem, I’ll wait and see. I really liked Fates, so I’m hoping it’s like that.

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game all the way through since Path of Radiance on the Gamecube, so I can't say I'm excited about the new game. It'll probably be good, but I can't seem to get into the games as much anymore. For Smash, though? I am sooooooooo hype. I need to save up some money so I can get one of the Switch bundles that will no doubt be a thing when it drops; if not, I'll just have to invade my friends' house and play with them on their Switch. :P

Edit: Also, I think a question we haven't actually seen in this thread yet is whether anyone is enjoying or wanting to play the newest Mario Party. I haven't heard anything about Mario Party since 4 and 5 on the Gamecube; general consensus seems to be that they basically stopped being good after that. I never played 6 and beyond, so I wouldn't know, but a lot of people are playing the new one on Youtube, and people seem to think it looks really good.

The more I watch, though, the more I'm feeling indifferent about it. Like, they added a ton of new characters: Goomba, Boo, Bowser Jr. and even Bowser (which is both awesome and terrible at the same time, imo), and the mini-games look interesting. However, the games--while interesting--don't look like the kind of games I generally liked in the Mario Party games, and the maps just look... bleh. Way too small, the loss of Bowser spaces takes away a lot of the sense of suspense and danger, and at least on the beach one that lots of people have been playing they force you to land on very specific spaces just to move around the map, which I don't like at all. I dunno. I think I'd rather just break out my N64 or GC and play one of the first 5 games.