2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Cesco

Re: 2018/11/07 - Laughter In A Can

Post by Cesco »

Yay! All the Arbelt pets are back! :D Aww, poor Zach, but at least, he has always his family. ;) Pff, the usual delusions of grandeur by Tiger. :P It's good that an app and some speakers are enough for you, Tiger, and you waited so long for it... :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: I wonder if it’s meta humor in a sense that Zac and Jessica gets as irritated with the group as I (and I assume others) do. It feels like the joke got pretty stale pretty fast, and I kinda wish it led to more than hero worship of Zac. Imagine if devout travelers did stuff like follow the path of their Messiah, basically meaning they’d end up larping in the temple for holy reasons. Hindsight is 20/20, but I find it odd that Rick doesn’t do much with that, heck it’s led to the wild animals (besides possibly Karishad post-zoo life... what even is Karishad at this point? Wild animal, Zoo, Milton (free, similar to human in what he’s allowed to do)?) getting almost no arcs before Jessica showed up.
I have to agree that the opener of ways thing got stale over the years. I mean we had some laughes and Rick got in some pretty good jokes but it never developed into anything of substance. Zach didn’t want it and it became repetitive. I wonder if another reason Zach came home was because the temple is gone and the cult is changing direction. I know this is not that kind of comic but I am a firm believer that Rick can use the cult and Steward as a real threat to Babylon Gardens and the pets. That way the cult would have more of a point than they do now. Honestly I can’t remember the last time it was funny having them worship Zack. Jessica was the best thing for his character. The contrast between them is good chemistry. Zach is a prominent secondary character who has more depth than most of the secondary characters. I hope Rick continues to develop him more.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: I wonder if it’s meta humor in a sense that Zac and Jessica gets as irritated with the group as I (and I assume others) do. It feels like the joke got pretty stale pretty fast, and I kinda wish it led to more than hero worship of Zac. Imagine if devout travelers did stuff like follow the path of their Messiah, basically meaning they’d end up larping in the temple for holy reasons. Hindsight is 20/20, but I find it odd that Rick doesn’t do much with that, heck it’s led to the wild animals (besides possibly Karishad post-zoo life... what even is Karishad at this point? Wild animal, Zoo, Milton (free, similar to human in what he’s allowed to do)?) getting almost no arcs before Jessica showed up.
I have to agree that the opener of ways thing got stale over the years. I mean we had some laughes and Rick got in some pretty good jokes but it never developed into anything of substance. Zach didn’t want it and it became repetitive. I wonder if another reason Zach came home was because the temple is gone and the cult is changing direction. I know this is not that kind of comic but I am a firm believer that Rick can use the cult and Steward as a real threat to Babylon Gardens and the pets. That way the cult would have more of a point than they do now. Honestly I can’t remember the last time it was funny having them worship Zack. Jessica was the best thing for his character. The contrast between them is good chemistry. Zach is a prominent secondary character who has more depth than most of the secondary characters. I hope Rick continues to develop him more.
If Rick can make Steward feel even partially as big of a looming threat as Pete did, then I’ll be happy (... well so long as some of the human characters get changed at least temporarily. There are a few well developed humans in the cast, and let’s be honest, it be fun to see Mr. and Mrs. Sandwich involved in at least one of their pets’ adventures.) I don’t think the cult currently is being set up to change much, Custom Ink is an oddly stubborn character all things considered. I’d almost admire how much faith he is capable of if there literally wasn’t anything to hold it up (and what he was holding up didn’t irritate me). Wonder if he’d be strong enough to carry an arc if Rick ever focused on him.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Marvin has that look that wants to set this world on fire.

Won't be long now - Marvin will think chaos is a ladder.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:Nice to see these three again.
I am a bit concerned about how fast Marvin 'Exited, stage left' when Tiger appeared.
Marvin didn't walk away, the camera just panned right leaving him out of the frame.
fenrirblack wrote:The only time we see [Marvin] interacting with another pet is the haunted house chapter.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:The only time we see [Marvin] interacting with another pet is the haunted house chapter.
Yeah I knew there another but I was too lazy to look it up and I knew someone else would do it for me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Custom Ink is Tum's Mom and a female (points out the member who keeps calling Eudoant "she"). ;) Her devotion strikes me as both amusing and a little touching...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Have to say that I LOVE Marvin's contempt and annoyance over Zach's perceived fame status and everybody in the wild thinking he is still a deity. Poor Marvin is secondary to BOTH his brothers.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:I wonder if it’s meta humor in a sense that Zac and Jessica gets as irritated with the group as I (and I assume others) do. It feels like the joke got pretty stale pretty fast, and I kinda wish it led to more than hero worship of Zac.
I have to agree that the opener of ways thing got stale over the years. I mean we had some laughes and Rick got in some pretty good jokes but it never developed into anything of substance.
Wouldn't that be why that story took a back seat? And why Rick added in Jessica, and started focusing on her and Zach's relationship with the Opener stuff becoming more like background noise? I mean, give Rick some credit. He's aware that just continuing to use the same joke over and over gets stale. That's why he adds things (like Jessica) to change it up, and fleshes out characters (like Custom Ink), and puts in teases for new plot threads (like the aforementioned coin) that he can work with later. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:I wonder if it’s meta humor in a sense that Zac and Jessica gets as irritated with the group as I (and I assume others) do. It feels like the joke got pretty stale pretty fast, and I kinda wish it led to more than hero worship of Zac.
I have to agree that the opener of ways thing got stale over the years. I mean we had some laughes and Rick got in some pretty good jokes but it never developed into anything of substance.
Wouldn't that be why that story took a back seat? And why Rick added in Jessica, and started focusing on her and Zach's relationship with the Opener stuff becoming more like background noise? I mean, give Rick some credit. He's aware that just continuing to use the same joke over and over gets stale. That's why he adds things (like Jessica) to change it up, and fleshes out characters (like Custom Ink), and puts in teases for new plot threads (like the aforementioned coin) that he can work with later. ;)
It's not stale yet!

At least the setup for the whole opener of ways thing, while ingrained into the plot now, gives plenty of fun possibilities in the future if Rick explores them more.

Also, I'm certain Rick still has stuff up his sleeves. I just hope he'd reveal what he's hiding to us more and more now. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Marvin And Tiger Are Back Yay"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now if we can only give them their own arc and not have them be background players like they are now. :)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

It's not stale yet!

At least the setup for the whole opener of ways thing, while ingrained into the plot now, gives plenty of fun possibilities in the future if Rick explores them more.

Also, I'm certain Rick still has stuff up his sleeves. I just hope he'd reveal what he's hiding to us more and more now. x3
True, if you want to be optimistic.
The question again becomes how does it develop. In my mind I see the comics as a series of books or a video game or a tv series. Years one through ten was part one. It revolved mainly around the Pete and Game being the "big bad." In the end the source of his power and the Forgotten (secret boss). Then for Part 2 you have Steward and the Cult as the main antagonist that slowly weaves its way through the plot. What's troubling is that we have not seen it yet. We most likely will get a big story at the end of the year which will set the stage for the rest of Part 2. Until then we have the usual antics that have no deeper meaning as Rick likes to point out.

You know what’s interesting about Jessica is that she serves as a multi-facet character. She serves not only as Zach’s love interest but as a sharp contrast to his character (opposites attract) and as a contrast to Inks character. While Ink is the one dimensional follower, Jess serves as a counterweight to al that crazy. A example of this is the movie “Trolls” Jess is Branch and Ink is Poppy.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

What's troubling about that? :| Rick likes doing slice of life stories, and a sizeable chunk of the readership likes reading them. Just be patient :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Is it just my old screen or does Tiger look more like Peanut then he used to... ? Definitely not as pudgy as he used to be.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I know right. I thought he lost weight. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

You know what else though, Zach never answered Marvin’s question. He asked if Zach was basically moving back in with them but Zach responded with this random retrospective response then asked about Tiger. So is he moving back in? We technically don’t know. He could be visiting or after that stunt with Tiger decide to run back to Jessica.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:Between Zach’s comment about being ignored and Tiger’s location not being asked about for three weeks, I’d say it’s safe to presume that the Arbelts neglect their pets. On top of Sasha’s abusive owner, it adds another facet into average housepet life, I guess. On the other side of the spectrum, you’ve got the Sandwiches that treat their pets as if they were their own children. It’s an interesting contrast to see how each family treats their pets.
Don't assume that from this. Tiger's been waiting for THAT particular straight line for 3 weeks and Zach seems to spend a lot of time with Jessica in the wild these days.
Tiger had to wait three weeks for someone to say “Where’s Tiger?”. Tiger’s antics might be a sign of trying to get people to notice him. Zach presumably spends his time with Jessica because he’s ignored at home (as mentioned in the comic).
Why would anyone ask where Tiger is? They already know the answer. He's on the couch in front of the TV.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Zach may deny being a prophet (like he did with Pete) but he can't seem to answer a simple question without getting all profound, dark, and Jungian. Guess that's why Jess loves him...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So it looks like we have Max and Bino's owner, Tiger, Marvin and Zach's owner and Sasha's owner being more like pet owners and only noticing them some of the time in contrast to Peanut and Grape's who see them as more than pets. That is interesting. We have pet owners who have varying levels of affections towards them.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So it looks like we have Max and Bino's owner, Tiger, Marvin and Zach's owner and Sasha's owner being more like pet owners and only noticing them some of the time in contrast to Peanut and Grape's who see them as more than pets. That is interesting. We have pet owners who have varying levels of affections towards them.
Um, I don’t think Sasha’s owner treats her like most pet owners do... hopefully
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Hartford saga is one we'd all like to hear someday. That, and a lot of folks just really love Sasha. :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah I know that. I was saying that each of the three owners has a varying level of affection for the pets in contrast to the Sandwiches,
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

If when the coin gets into play more, Sasha’s owner is one of the ones that get changed, which means he’d be in a form Rick be more okay with drawing, I hope some mild karma comes his way
Argent

Post by Argent »

Even the more family-oriented owners still don't always "get it".

Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:Even the more family-oriented owners still don't always "get it".

To be fair, the pets themselves know this is unusual, I don’t think we can blame him too much for asking that question... actually, what happens with puppies and kittens in the Housepets universe after they are born? We don’t see any of the pets’ biological parents aside from Keene’s mother, and she was in heaven
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair, Bill can be forgiven because that was actually a first I think.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gameb18oy wrote:actually, what happens with puppies and kittens in the Housepets universe after they are born?
Fridge Horror we has it.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:actually, what happens with puppies and kittens in the Housepets universe after they are born?
Fridge Horror we has it.
WARN us when you link to TV tropes!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

It bad I assumed that was a comic title when I clicked it? Either way, I don’t think anything horrifying is happening, I just mean we never see the point when pets tend to get adopted, and imagine it has to work a little differently in the Housepets universe
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that one of these days maybe Rick can do an arc about how it works.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

If for no other reason than to see more kittens and pups, I’d be down for that. The flashback arc remains one of my faves for that reason (that and the fact I ship Grape and Res really hard)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Gameb18oy wrote:what happens with puppies and kittens in the Housepets universe after they are born? We don’t see any of the pets’ biological parents aside from Keene’s mother, and she was in heaven
We do see how pet adoption works in the Housepets Babies! arc. Kitten Grape even helpfully explains to us that future pets get in the shelter by being one of The Three S’s’s’s . . . s’, stray, seized or surrendered. It's possible in the HP! universe when a pet has puppies or kittens they are normally given away after weening. One thing about this comic is for any question the default answer to how something works is it woks the same as in the real world. When you think about it, having similar genes with someone doesn't have much impact on their ability to be a caring and loving parent. For that matter, how important is sharing genes with someone when compared to being the one to raise them.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:what happens with puppies and kittens in the Housepets universe after they are born? We don’t see any of the pets’ biological parents aside from Keene’s mother, and she was in heaven
. When you think about it, having similar genes with someone doesn't have much impact on their ability to be a caring and loving parent. For that matter, how important is sharing genes with someone when compared to being the one to raise them.
Example: Joel

At the same time though how would it change if the ECP really took off and became a law. If pets were able to get "real" jobs and have some form of income to buy a house or apartment then there would be no reason to give them up unless you just give them up like a human would. The reason people give away kittens and puppies is because they either simply do not want them or don't have the time or resources to take care of them. The same is true for the HPU, the Sandwiches don't have any kids because Peanut and Grape are their kids. We've had this discussion about "where did the kids go" but it does have merit. The Wolf family is a good example of animals families sticking together (if you ignore wolf nature and pack law) I mean they have a house, are a real average family (eh), and are able to transition into human society fairly easily.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
. When you think about it, having similar genes with someone doesn't have much impact on their ability to be a caring and loving parent. For that matter, how important is sharing genes with someone when compared to being the one to raise them.
Example: Joel

At the same time though how would it change if the ECP really took off and became a law. If pets were able to get "real" jobs and have some form of income to buy a house or apartment then there would be no reason to give them up unless you just give them up like a human would. The reason people give away kittens and puppies is because they either simply do not want them or don't have the time or resources to take care of them. The same is true for the HPU, the Sandwiches don't have any kids because Peanut and Grape are their kids. We've had this discussion about "where did the kids go" but it does have merit. The Wolf family is a good example of animals families sticking together (if you ignore wolf nature and pack law) I mean they have a house, are a real average family (eh), and are able to transition into human society fairly easily.
That partially depends on if Rick has changed his mind on the idea that pets just are incapable of long term planning like humans are, which I personally think he is with how the comic is going (plus, I personally see too many humans in real life like that, so that explanation never satisfied me).
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, it's never been said that animals are incapable of long-term planning, just that they have a tendency toward being content with the way things are and not having a strong impulse to try to improve things. Humans are thus oddities in their constant desire for improvement. A good example of Rick actually doing some work to lay this out in the Housepets! comic is Arc 65: The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Dog, and in particular the strip Tooth Truth
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that they could if they HAD to or got the rights. Keene fighting for equal rights for pets would be a bit odd otherwise.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The pets seemed pretty alright when Keene announced that he was ending his turn at the crusade before revealing that Lana would take the reins.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I think that's just ignorance on their part. Considering how many didn't even know what he was doing. In all honesty they are living pampered lives and don't know any better. They live in their own little bubbles. I understand where the pets are coming from. Keene comes in and is like "I can give you rights and freedom and all I ask is that you give up your dependence on your owners and get real jobs and an education like humans." I can see the strays and feral getting into it but pets like Peanut and Grape who are living the good life are not.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

As Sasha tells Bailey, "Yeah, he (King) frets over eentsy things. He even told me to run away from home even though I have food … and a pile of Laundry!!"
To which Bailey replies "I know, right? Always focusing on the negative. Sometimes I suspect he's a miniature human in a dog suit."

..and there's a Housepets! reflection on the human condition from two of our deeper canine contemplatives.... ;)
Regards.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I think that's just ignorance on their part. Considering how many didn't even know what he was doing. In all honesty they are living pampered lives and don't know any better. They live in their own little bubbles. I understand where the pets are coming from. Keene comes in and is like "I can give you rights and freedom and all I ask is that you give up your dependence on your owners and get real jobs and an education like humans." I can see the strays and feral getting into it but pets like Peanut and Grape who are living the good life are not.
Actually, I kinda figure Peanut and Grape might be some of the easier ones to get into it. It’s been said a lot of times that the sandwiches are the most consistent in treating their pets like their kids, I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought them up with a good work ethic. Even if they don’t, they both have mild connections to the working world, Grape probably would be more than happy working with Res on whatever he does next in the world of writing, and Peanut... he has mild experience working from that time he went to that convention thing in the astral plane with Tarot, and even though I doubt it go anywhere, he’d likely try his hand at making comics for a living. Heck it be weird if Peanut can’t do anything with that low-key eidetic memory and superhuman reading speed of his. Also, to add another pet who wouldn’t mind a job, just bring up how much cat-nip he can buy with a salary, and I think Max will be all for Pets getting that right.