Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Legotron123

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:we have overweight fox-ironman with telekinesis and a brain slug,
You forget to mention that he NEEDS to be overwieght to effectively use his powers, since they’re powered by his body fat, as well as his crippling self worth issues.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:1. I recommend you read up on the past 5 to 10 pages to understand the current context.
2. The power weight represents the power level of your strongest power. You can have other powers, but as long as they aren't as powerful as the main power, they don't factor in to the power level.
3. Typically they are brought in. None so far have started off being in the Champions. Not since one player who ended up leaving, anyway. Some characters lived on the Beacon and decided to join, others ended up being recruited during missions.

4. Now that the epilogue is over and things are moving on, anyone who was waiting to join may do so if you still want to.
While I don’t mind reading, with how fast this RP updates, I would enjoy the cliffnotes version if at all possible, heck as I plan to be recruited on a mission either way so maybe not knowing certain details be good.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:You know, this makes me realize I haven't thought out exactly what the consistency would be like. A thing to ponder I suppose.
Well she has enough surface tension to hold her shape under normal gravity, hence why jello.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

The problem though is there's a part of me that's just liked the idea of it being like telekinesis muscles, where she just subconsciously holds her form together, then if she gets knocked out it goes wibbly and more liquidy than jello but not full on water but still is 'connected' enough to not roll away completely. It's just these things I ponder in the middle of the night, like "How does she get but nutrients from the food?" Which has led me to believe liquiforms are either naturally acidic or can become acidic for the food absorption process. Sometimes I don't even know if it makes sense, just my brain going on that little railroad track to who knows where. Eh, it's amusing.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:the day frequently starts with humorous (or at-least i find them humorous) recaps of various team members morning routines, and a briefing about what's expected to happen that day. followed by a, to date, 3 in 5 chance that that a curve ball will completely derail that. past curveballs have included: zombie appocalipse, crashing ufo & sudden mech ambush, and alien invasion. followed by a 50/50 chance of random debate in the ooc area derails things further. and then most of the time there's a good chance what is basically a 40k Ruinous Power will show up and possess someone who was already pretty tanky, and the rp briefly turns into what honestly feels like a cross between DBZ, starwars, and MMPR to me. we even have our own megazord now. then we have down time before the end of day post.

we have overweight fox-ironman with telekinesis and a brain slug, sentient jello in a robot suit, a rodent with the small-arms skills of a Matrix character, a cavewoman in power armor who accidentally developed bits of Ronon Dex's personality, a friendly brain eating body-horor inducing parasite, talking armor with a bad attitude, a metal gear who is also a ___ ____ ninja, a surprisingly normal medic, the flash, chell from portal but doesn't need the portal gun, and Reinhardt with less armor. if you think you can out weird that, i'd like to see you try.

I'm serious by the way, i really do want to see what you can come up with. the crazy characters are half the appeal of this place.
:lol:
Very well put. Hey, at least it's never boring!
*slowly pushes the Lycan fight under the rug*

Also, who's the talking armor with a bad attitude and is the metal gear who is also a ninja Predator?
Gameb18oy wrote:While I don’t mind reading, with how fast this RP updates, I would enjoy the cliffnotes version if at all possible, heck as I plan to be recruited on a mission either way so maybe not knowing certain details be good.
Alright, I'll give a summary. It will have to wait until after work though, because I have to leave in, like, the next two minutes.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

talya and yes.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

We have a 30ft tall Ninja?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ugh... 11 hours stuck behind a computer screen in a bland office. DX

So, a summary of today. The Beacon of Hope is visiting the planet Celica, inhabited by the Vulpine race of people known as Celicans. The Beacon went there following evidence of a global conspiracy by the Celican government. The Beacon found out about this when the Celican government sent a bunch of assassins to kill Jaken, but the Champions intervened. Anyway, when the Beacon of Hope got to Celica, they found the entire planet under siege by a massive fleet of Varanian Warships.

The Varanians, reptilian aliens known for their immense strength, endurance, warrior culture, and cannibalistic tendencies, swiftly overwhelmed the native forces. Their Warlord, a man-eating 40 foot tall monster, swiftly crushed even the strongest resistance forces. It turned out they had been invited there and challenged to a fight by the people that had set assassins on Jaken. The Champions deployed in two teams; one to the planet to stop the Warlord, and one to a Varanian carrier to find the shipmaster in charge of the fleet.

The team in orbit found and defeated the Varanian Shipmaster relatively quickly, cutting off orbital support to the Varanian ground forces. Not too much later, the ground team found and fought the Warlord, who was using a gem to trap the souls and steal the powers of his victims. During the fight, the Warlord gradually became more and more corrupted by the demigod spirit of greed. The fight raged for a while, but eventually the Warlord was defeated by basically being punched out of existence by the champion known as Titan, who then destroyed the gem he was using. This freed the spirits who hung around as ghosts until the blind hobo wizard guy helped most of them move on. He also resurrected one of the ghosts so she could return to her kids, and the rest of the lingering spirits possessed a dormant droid, forming a new character calling itself Legion.

And that's why I generally recommend people read the past few pages. This universe is absolutely insane, and summarizing it brings up more questions than it answers.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

oh right, i forgot to mention the team having a ghostbusters/mass effect mashup in their ranks. >.< XP
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Neon Icy Wings wrote:And yeah, Beacon is basically Professor Xavier's Academy with a hundred times the weirdness factor. The oddest thing would be the perfectly human janitor with no powers whatsoever.
Scruffy!
i thought the janitor was two dozen spider robots the size of coconut crabs?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:Ugh... 11 hours stuck behind a computer screen in a bland office. DX

So, a summary of today. The Beacon of Hope is visiting the planet Celica, inhabited by the Vulpine race of people known as Celicans. The Beacon went there following evidence of a global conspiracy by the Celican government. The Beacon found out about this when the Celican government sent a bunch of assassins to kill Jaken, but the Champions intervened. Anyway, when the Beacon of Hope got to Celica, they found the entire planet under siege by a massive fleet of Varanian Warships.

The Varanians, reptilian aliens known for their immense strength, endurance, warrior culture, and cannibalistic tendencies, swiftly overwhelmed the native forces. Their Warlord, a man-eating 40 foot tall monster, swiftly crushed even the strongest resistance forces. It turned out they had been invited there and challenged to a fight by the people that had set assassins on Jaken. The Champions deployed in two teams; one to the planet to stop the Warlord, and one to a Varanian carrier to find the shipmaster in charge of the fleet.

The team in orbit found and defeated the Varanian Shipmaster relatively quickly, cutting off orbital support to the Varanian ground forces. Not too much later, the ground team found and fought the Warlord, who was using a gem to trap the souls and steal the powers of his victims. During the fight, the Warlord gradually became more and more corrupted by the demigod spirit of greed. The fight raged for a while, but eventually the Warlord was defeated by basically being punched out of existence by the champion known as Titan, who then destroyed the gem he was using. This freed the spirits who hung around as ghosts until the blind hobo wizard guy helped most of them move on. He also resurrected one of the ghosts so she could return to her kids, and the rest of the lingering spirits possessed a dormant droid, forming a new character calling itself Legion.

And that's why I generally recommend people read the past few pages. This universe is absolutely insane, and summarizing it brings up more questions than it answers.
I might be able to use the spirit thing to justify why my character (and possibly the rest of their race) show up. I was thinking they'd be a race inspired by nekomata, and despite being capable of space travel, they are highly connected to... the spirit realm I guess? chances are you guys already have a name for that but need something as a title holder. Figure the race is full of types that can communicate with ghosts and is driven to find places of unbalance to help restless spirits find their way... or something I dont know, hard to commit to ideas if you dont know if you're forcing too much on people. Anyway, to explain away how they might not have been talked about if they could have helped in events of the recent past as most of them have some minor amounts of superpowers, is being a reclusive and secretive race up until this point a strong enough reason you think?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It sounds fine, except for being able to talk to ghosts isn't really much of a power since what makes a spirit a ghost is the fact that people can see them and talk to them pretty much.

As for the reclusive bit, do you have an idea as to why they stopped being reclusive?
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:It sounds fine, except for being able to talk to ghosts isn't really much of a power since what makes a spirit a ghost is the fact that people can see them and talk to them pretty much.

As for the reclusive bit, do you have an idea as to why they stopped being reclusive?
Likely the event you mentioned would be enough, usually changes in the spiritual realm I bet are not to the scale that was displayed there, and they could probably predict if that could happen once, it will happen again, so they can’t rely on the space tech they currently use which is primitive by most planets’ standards.

Well then I guess I should say they can sense spirits even when they aren’t making themselves known and act as a voice for them. Should also add my character is likely gonna have a few extra powers the others don’t, I think I brought up most of them already, but I know I didn’t mention the pyrokinesis. Is there a limit on the number you can have?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'd type up a biog and post it. Then Cyber can critique.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

By blog, I assume you mean creating the character?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

yup.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Name: Sage

Species: Nekomata

Age: 35 human years (equivalent of being 20 for his species)

Powers: Nekomata all possess powers pulled from their connection to the spiritual plane. These powers include levitation, becoming intangible, turning invisible and a very low amount of telekinesis which compensates for their low physical strength. Sage is unique in that he has been touched by what his kind call "the heavenly flame". This manifests in the ability to manifest flames and heat at will. It also amplifies the strength of the standard abilities of Nekomata, making his flight faster and his telekinesis more powerful and able to reach a further range away from him.

Weakness: Sage, like most of his kind, lose all their powers when their split tails are bound together, and due to being a physically weak species, they have trouble getting unbound quickly. Being out of his line of sight pretty much makes it impossible for him to do much with his abilities as well, so if he is in a dark environment, he is in an extreme disadvantage. As a consequence of his abilities being much stronger than most of his species, they cause a great strain on him, so extended use of them can damage his body.

Appearance- Pure white fur. Most of his kind look like typical cats, with some minor differences here and there. The most noticeable difference is their tails, which naturally split about 9 weeks after their birth. Sage specifically has flame-like spiritual energy that clings to the ends of his tails when he’s awake, signifying his power. The flames are mostly ornamental in function, unable to even warm anything that touches them, and they provide only minor light. The arms and legs of the creatures tend to be rather skinny as they tend to rely on their levitation and telekinesis in their place. He dyes certain parts of his fur blue to make himself stand out more from other Nekomata.

Personality: Like most of his kind, he has a tendency to carry himself in an aloof manner, but unlike them, he's not quite as pious. Starved to know what the rest of the universe is like, he can come across as childlike to those who aren't aware of how long the Nekomata have isolated themselves from the rest of the universe. He is rather mischievous when using his powers, liking to use them to get on peoples nerves when he thinks it be hard for people to prove he did anything.

Other notes: -Elder Nekomata think he may have developed his unique personality from interacting with a foreigner that sought their species out and was allowed a brief stay on their home planet.

SPECIAL-P
S-8 (Applied to telekinetic capabilities when tail is unbound, all nekomata are physically very weak, a 3 is the max any of them could have when tail is bound)
P-6
E-5
C-6
I-7
A-8 (Similar impact when tail is bound, they normally rely on levitation so they are fairly clumsy when bound to the ground.)
L-3

P-5 (can change to four if GM thinks thats a little too high. Also, wow you have a lot of stronger stats when you work with 48 points)
Last edited by Gameb18oy on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

A few things.

First off, I count 50 points there. I believe you are 2 points over.

Second, could we get more of a description of what the character looks like? Many people might not be familiar with the legendary creature and it's had several interpretations with different appearances.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:A few things.

First off, I count 50 points there. I believe you are 2 points over.

Second, could we get more of a description of what the character looks like? Many people might not be familiar with the legendary creature and it's had several interpretations with different appearances.
Yeah, both things are good to know... *cracks knuckles* time to think up what I’d do to describe a nekomata.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just an FYI, but starting tomorrow, I have to work every day this weekend, so I might be a little too tired to post for most of it. Just wanted to let you guys know in case I wind up vanishing for a few days.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hey, just asking, but is my updated sheet usable? If so, I’m curious how I should enter the RP? I don’t want to stop anyone’s story just to introduce myself
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The updated sheet looks good. Approved.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Thanks. I think I’ll be getting my response in later today due to thanksgiving stuff, that thing I brought up to introduce Sage still gonna work if I wait a bit?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I won't post until more people do, and the plot with the mother and her cubs won't advance until I do. You have time.

There are 3 cubs, btw.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:I won't post until more people do, and the plot with the mother and her cubs won't advance until I do. You have time.

There are 3 cubs, btw.
Heh, well no surprise for anyone else on where Sage is gonna appear now :lol: but thanks for the headsup
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sorry. Wasn't aware we were trying to make it a surprise.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Nah, we weren’t but now any surprise isn’t an option.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

character name: Alain Skye

Color: FFBF40

Type: Main

Species: Human.

Neighborhood: Beacon of Hope

Powers: Can compress air into a solid with his mind in a one and one-half yard radius.

Weakness: Lack of air.

Appearance: Seven and a half feet tall, pale body, dirty brown (is that a color?) hair, always wears a green suit with dark brown pants.

Personality: most of the time bored. Dislikes nut milk. Loves D&D. Usually bored because almost nobody plays D&D with him. Fine with others (Usually, consult other notes)

Other notes: Don't make fun of his nerdiness. If you laugh at him when he asks if anyone wants to play D&D

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats:
-Strength: 3
-Perception: 10
-Endurance: 7
-Charisma: 3
-Intelligence: 10
-Agility: 2
-Luck: 6
-Power: 2

Edit. oh, Could I join, this is my character sheet
Last edited by furrygamer793 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

since i couldn't figure out how to draw or put into words what i'm planning with his redesign...

4.45m nose to tail if stretched out straight. he "stands" by bringing that center tail up under himself and leaning back.
Attachments
Kobor 2.0 (low).png
Kobor 2.0 (low).png (232.14 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
Kobor 2.0 (rear).png
Kobor 2.0 (rear).png (178.08 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
yes, that's an open ribcage.
yes, that's an open ribcage.
Kobor 2.0 (front).png (253.42 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hawkfang42 wrote:character name: Alain Skye

Color: FFBF40

Type: I don't know how it works, minor?

Species: Human.

Neighborhood: Beacon of Hope

Powers: Can compress air into a solid with his mind in a one and one-half yard radius.

Weakness: Lack of air.

Appearance: Seven and a half feet tall, pale body, dirty brown (is that a color?) hair, always wears a green suit with dark brown pants.

Personality: most of the time bored.

Other notes: Don't make fun of his nerdiness.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats:
-Strength: 3
-Perception: 10
-Endurance: 7
-Charisma: 3
-Intelligence: 10
-Agility: 2
-Luck: 6
-Power: 2

Edit. oh, Could I join, this is my character sheet
A couple of things:

First thing to mention is you are 5 points under the 48 points allowed in this game. Each character is allowed 48 points in this RP to distribute between the 8 different stats. you have 43 points total there, so you can bump a few stats up.

Second, the character "Type" refers to either a main or secondary character. Your first character is always a main because the main character is the one you plan on playing with the most.

Third, generally the character sheets are a bit more in-depth. For example, in personality you could mention what his likes and dislikes are. How does he act around others? Why is he bored? What about his intelligence?

Finally, Beacon of Hope has a higher demand than I can often keep up with, and often people find it too difficult to keep up with the game's pace and end up leaving. As a result, I have made it a policy that players must join at least one other RP first and show they can remain active for a while. If you'd like to hear about the different RPs and get some suggestions on where to start, I'd be happy to help. All you have to do is ask. ^^

And Buster, that's a really awesome design! Very creative and very mutant space horror.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Cyber, Considering Nekomata are reclusive, I’m kinda unsure if Hivemind should know what a Nekomata is right off the bat. Nothing wrong with your response, just figure that point should be considered. Also, who does Rika belong to so I can find the character sheet?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If anyone would know what Nekomata are, it would be Hivemind. Especially considering they are legendary creatures of sorts.

Rika belongs to Rook, and her character sheet is on the bottom of the first page in the OOC.

Also, *pokes Rook*
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hey, remember how a few months ago a commissioned a picture of a younger Kolt? Well, I recently commissioned a much more modern version from the same artist, and it’s finally done! Unfortunately, it’s too big for me to put in this post, so I’m just going to put a link here instead.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?vie ... &safe=1&zw
The link works on my end, so hopefully it works on yours.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Whose Kolt? Also, don’t have Gmail so cant see it
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Kolt’s one of my characters here. I wish I could just put it in the post, but the forum says it’s too big, and I don’t have the software to make it small enough to fit.

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Legotron123 wrote:Kolt’s one of my characters here. I wish I could just put it in the post, but the forum says it’s too big, and I don’t have the software to make it small enough to fit.
Shame man. I often have that problem trying to share the comic strips where appropriate, it’s especially bad when they are a double strip
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:Kolt’s one of my characters here. I wish I could just put it in the post, but the forum says it’s too big, and I don’t have the software to make it small enough to fit.
Not even ms Paint?
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

CyberDragon wrote:
Not even ms Paint?
I use an iPad, so no.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I can't access that, it said I was logged into the wrong account.
Legotron123 wrote:I use an iPad.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Why not just post it to an image hosting website and share a link.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I posted it to my Twitter account, so hopefully this’ll work.
Kolt Photo.