2018/12/07 - Magically Delicious

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
NHWestoN

Re: 2018/12/07 - Magically Delicious

Post by NHWestoN »

Go carefully, officers. There are things in nooks and crannies that jump out at you if disturbed!
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

You know, i'm not sure if people noticed, but usually when we see a glamorous hot shot of a pet, we're looking at it from the perspective of someone else.

That person in today's comic is Fox. x3

Not that we can appreciate how cool it is when Rick does this. the panel is awesome! <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You know the saddest part about this strip is how Fido is pretending to still care about the mission but it's obvious to everyone that he and Kevin have been compromised. There he is telling Fox that he and Kevin have that bath handled while being dragged into the water by Sabrina. Who does he think he's fooling?

Fido: "Oh I don't know, there's lot's of nooks.. and crannies. Now leave me alone and do your job."
Fox: "It's your job too!"
Fido: "I am doing my job. Telling you to go search for Keene while I spend quality time with my girlfriend."

Actually thinking back, that pool really is couples only. Peanut & Tarot, Grape & Max, Rex & Mr. Bigglesworth, Kevin & Sasha, and Fido & Sabrina. Squeak was there but you know Joey was nearby. When are they not together? (Yes, I remember those times when it was just Squeak and Spo, but I'm trying to prove a point.)
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:You know the saddest part about this strip is how Fido is pretending to still care about the mission but it's obvious to everyone that he and Kevin have been compromised. There he is telling Fox that he and Kevin have that bath handled while being dragged into the water by Sabrina. Who does he think he's fooling?

Fido: "Oh I don't know, there's lot's of nooks.. and crannies. Now leave me alone and do your job."
Fido: "I am doing my job. Telling you to go search for Keene while I spend quality time with my girlfriend."

Actually thinking back, that pool really is couples only. Peanut & Tarot, Grape & Max, Rex & Mr. Bigglesworth, Kevin & Sasha, and Fido & Sabrina. Squeak was there but you know Joey was nearby. When are they not together? (Yes, I remember those times when it was just Squeak and Spo, but I'm trying to prove a point.)
I actually have to defend Fido on this one. I won't deny that Fido is not focusing on the job and that's definitely bad, but Ralph isn't exactly taking this job as seriously as he sounds. They don't know exactly what laws Keene is breaking, so Ralph decided to arrest Keene because they want a paycheck for the damage Mungo caused back at the police office. It's silly to say, but Ralph could actually be in the wrong in this situation all because he feels he's gotta help the department out.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:You know the saddest part about this strip is how Fido is pretending to still care about the mission but it's obvious to everyone that he and Kevin have been compromised. There he is telling Fox that he and Kevin have that bath handled while being dragged into the water by Sabrina. Who does he think he's fooling?

I actually have to defend Fido on this one. I won't deny that Fido is not focusing on the job and that's definitely bad, but Ralph isn't exactly taking this job as seriously as he sounds. They don't know exactly what laws Keene is breaking, so Ralph decided to arrest Keene because they want a paycheck for the damage Mungo caused back at the police office. It's silly to say, but Ralph could actually be in the wrong in this situation all because he feels he's gotta help the department out.
Let’s also not forget, Ralph probably will end up a hypocrite eventually, I doubt he’s not gonna be involved in the fanservice, and even if not, he never actually made it clear why he couldn’t go in
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:Actually thinking back, that pool really is couples only. Peanut & Tarot, Grape & Max, Rex & Mr. Bigglesworth, Kevin & Sasha, and Fido & Sabrina. Squeak was there but you know Joey was nearby. When are they not together? (Yes, I remember those times when it was just Squeak and Spo, but I'm trying to prove a point.)
Whoa whoa whoa. I think it's a bit premature to say Rex and Mr. Bigglesworth are a couple. Happening to be in the same place doesn't mean they're dating, especially if a lot of pets are supposed to be gathered there. In my opinion it would be more accurate to say that the pool is not couples only because they're there than to say they're a couple because they're in the couples only pool.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm just waiting for the next strip on Monday to be confirmation of Rex and a Mr. Bigglesworth dating. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Couple is an ambiguous term. It does not necessarily mean they’re dating or an item. It just means they are together as fiends or “other.” Like riding a tandem bike or played a game of chess in the park. You know activities you have to have two people to take part in.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Argent wrote:Almost as unlikely as sending a team of cops to deliver a hundred buck parking citation.
Deer or elk? cause ireally don't know how you'd fit a hundred of either in a squad car.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Riff

Post by Riff »

TeflonCougar wrote:
Riff wrote:
jrh150482 wrote:And here's Sasha for fanservice! (Well, at least for the furries, anyway.)
Wow. I've never seen her look so good as in that first panel. I wonder if I can ask her out on a date. :3
Interesting.
We know from her early appearances that she's not always loyal. She was with Bino, but still wanted Fido's "poppies". It also depends who is asking, real you or fuzzy you. We know that Tarot "doesn't date humans".

I always found that an interesting word choice. "I don't date humans" not "Pets don't date humans."

Not complaining either way as we have a nice glamour shot of Sasha, who along with Bailey and Cerberus are my top thee HP gals.
Well, the fuzzy me, in my case. As for what Tarot said, I assumed she was speaking strictly for herself to avoid generalizing...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sasha - a free-spirit, a big heart, and a wonderfully warped way with words... Oh, and there's that hair! ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Buster wrote:
Argent wrote:Almost as unlikely as sending a team of cops to deliver a hundred buck parking citation.
Deer or elk? cause ireally don't know how you'd fit a hundred of either in a squad car.
You are the White Queen and I claim 8th rank.
Here the Red Queen began again. "Can you answer useful questions?" she said. "How is bread made?"

"I know that!" Alice cried eagerly. "You take some flour – "

"Where do you pick the flower?" the White Queen asked. 'In a garden or in the hedges?"

"Well, it isn't picked at all," Alice explained: "it's ground – "

"How many acres of ground?" said the White Queen. "You mustn't leave out so many things."
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Go ask Alice … but, actually, she may not know.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Does it bother anyone else that we don’t see Ralph that often? We saw Chief Bogo more in an hour and half movie than we’ve seen Ralph in eleven years.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Does it bother anyone else that we don’t see Ralph that often? We saw Chief Bogo more in an hour and half movie than we’ve seen Ralph in eleven years.
He’d be an amazing straight man so it’s actually surprising we don’t, heck, he should have stripped for the mission as well, doubt anyone be complaining about it
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I love how this arc is grabbing the fanservice ball and holding it tight YET at the same time the cats and dogs thing defeats it to hilarious effect. Kevin's "me likely" smile is just so hilarious.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hang tight, chums - Sergeant Ralph may yet do the back-up bit and dash in for the rescue of his twitter-pared team. In his altogethers, natch.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Has Sasha always had that heart shaped marking that is visible in one panel?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Not always, she doesn't have it here, which is the the earliest strip I could find where she's in frame enough to tell.

She's had it for a while, but I'm not sure when she first got it.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It was in the style change when she first got the translucent hair style. So a few years now.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Castlemight

Post by Castlemight »

I hope we get to see Daisy in this arc. Kinda want Daisy and Fox to get together, would be interesting.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Castlemight wrote:I hope we get to see Daisy in this arc. Kinda want Daisy and Fox to get together, would be interesting.
Hey @NHWestoN someone else likes that ship you’re on!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Daisy is such a throwaway character. In a lot of ways she’s like Terrance, candle in the wind. Only her entire purpose was a joke that was neither funny or appealing. Fox would have better luck dating a new character. His relationship with the angels was always strange and never going anywhere. In a lot of ways it never made sense, not because they are angels but because they’re two of them. If he were to have a serious relationship he would have to pick. They serve better as guardians or makeshift Cupids.
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

I liked Daisy’s running gag. And it was just that, a running gag; simple and serviceable. Maybe not high brow humor, but always good for a filler joke. I just wonder what will happen the next time we meet her now we know it was all an act and she was actually very well spoken. She can’t just go back into the gag now that it’s broken.

Also, I just realized that the only two animals we know for a fact have heard her say anything other than her usual have just been sent off together. If ever we were going to get some more intelligent conversation from her it makes sense that it would be with Fox and Mungo.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Daisy is such a throwaway character. In a lot of ways she’s like Terrance, candle in the wind. Only her entire purpose was a joke that was neither funny or appealing. Fox would have better luck dating a new character. His relationship with the angels was always strange and never going anywhere. In a lot of ways it never made sense, not because they are angels but because they’re two of them. If he were to have a serious relationship he would have to pick. They serve better as guardians or makeshift Cupids.
Fen, you know Terrance is a fan favorite for better or for worst and a lot of people like Daisy. Why do you got to hate on stuff you know has fans? Though I share the belief that I think a lot of other people trumpet, I want to see Fox get together with someone. The only problem is finding someone he could be with that would be a good fit. Rick honestly shot himself in the foot when he made Kevin Sasha’s boyfriend. If that hadn’t happened, Kevin honestly would just be Terrance with a competitive flavor to him. You don’t dislike him, but you’d be lying to yourself if you said you thought he’d ever have the spotlight on him for anything but a filler arc. Heck, this is probably the first time since they began dating that the two are in the comic at the same time, it’s actually a little embarrassing how little they interact as a couple. Considering the fact Housepets is a slice of life comic, it be nice if we saw more of the dating pets interactions, heck considering a topic you brought up in the past, I know at least you want those relationships developed more
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Daisy is such a throwaway character. In a lot of ways she’s like Terrance, candle in the wind. Only her entire purpose was a joke that was neither funny or appealing. Fox would have better luck dating a new character. His relationship with the angels was always strange and never going anywhere. In a lot of ways it never made sense, not because they are angels but because they’re two of them. If he were to have a serious relationship he would have to pick. They serve better as guardians or makeshift Cupids.
Fen, you know Terrance is a fan favorite for better or for worst and a lot of people like Daisy. Why do you got to hate on stuff you know has fans? Though I share the belief that I think a lot of other people trumpet, I want to see Fox get together with someone. The only problem is finding someone he could be with that would be a good fit. Rick honestly shot himself in the foot when he made Kevin Sasha’s boyfriend. If that hadn’t happened, Kevin honestly would just be Terrance with a competitive flavor to him. You don’t dislike him, but you’d be lying to yourself if you said you thought he’d ever have the spotlight on him for anything but a filler arc. Heck, this is probably the first time since they began dating that the two are in the comic at the same time, it’s actually a little embarrassing how little they interact as a couple. Considering the fact Housepets is a slice of life comic, it be nice if we saw more of the dating pets interactions, heck considering a topic you brought up in the past, I know at least you want those relationships developed more
I woudln't say Rick shot himself in the foot for teaming Kevin up with Sasha, but as far as Fox goes, I've always been under the impression Rick had plans for Fox. He arguably shows up alot more since the introduction of King.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Sasha and Fox ship. I thought it was cute during the Love and War arc, but long term, I just struggle to see what they have in common to make the relationship last. At least Sasha and Kevin are equally able to follow each other's trains of thought without getting lost and seem even to reach similar conclusions.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:I'm actually not a huge fan of the Sasha and Fox ship. I thought it was cute during the Love and War arc, but long term, I just struggle to see what they have in common to make the relationship last. At least Sasha and Kevin are equally able to follow each other's trains of thought without getting lost and seem even to reach similar conclusions.
Um, considering my point on how they rarely interact, where are you getting that from? Granted, I can agree Sasha x Fox might not fit long term, but honestly, I don’t think we have any idea on what the two think of each other at this point, and personally, I don’t expect us to focus on Kevin and Sasha any to clarify this in spite of the fact
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I, too, like the Fox-Sasha ship but it seems to go against one of Fox's major roles, to be the "everyman" who always some how winds up losing or getting the situation wrong, who only wins the spotlight when he has egg on his face. He's a "primary" actor in the strip while Sasha is more of a "secondary". She's never held the stage by herself for more than a strip or two - although she shows flashes of depth at times, she's still pretty much a comedian.

Thanks for the "agree" on Daisy, Castlemight. If Rick does bring her back beyond cameo crowd scenes, he'd want to find a role for her growing out of her unexpected demonstration to Fox and Mungo that she's not just "Ditsy Dog #2". There's a whole range of possibilities besides my favorite, matching her in a relationship with Fox. For example, a Gyro Gearloose sort who invents devices that backfire or create unexpected complications or a "Professor Corey" type who uses a high-level vocabulary to create settlement. She's only a "throw-away" if Rick never uses her again which, obviously, I hope he doesn't. ...and I, too, would like to see Terrance again.

But it's Rock's world and, despite some of our pompous certainties about what he should do, he'll do what he's gonna do despite. However, patience is rewarded in HOusepets and, at only three strips a week, patient you gotta be. ;)

Regards
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fenrirblack wrote:His relationship with the angels was always strange and never going anywhere. In a lot of ways it never made sense, not because they are angels but because they’re two of them. If he were to have a serious relationship he would have to pick.
considering spring and summer are aware of each other and okay with each other, i don't see the fact that there's 3 people in their relationship being a problem. it's uncomon but not impossible. the reason relationships like that so often break down has nothing to do with the number of people involved, and everything to do with one person lying to the other two about each other for selfish reasons. no, if anything is going to throw a spanner into the works for fox, it's going to be heaven's skewed timescale making moments of contact too few and far between to allow any real stability to be built.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Obbl wrote:I'm actually not a huge fan of the Sasha and Fox ship. I thought it was cute during the Love and War arc, but long term, I just struggle to see what they have in common to make the relationship last. At least Sasha and Kevin are equally able to follow each other's trains of thought without getting lost and seem even to reach similar conclusions.
Um, considering my point on how they rarely interact, where are you getting that from? Granted, I can agree Sasha x Fox might not fit long term, but honestly, I don’t think we have any idea on what the two think of each other at this point, and personally, I don’t expect us to focus on Kevin and Sasha any to clarify this in spite of the fact
Well, Fox already talked about Sasha casually with Bino like he's known her for ages. Even if it wasn't shown in the comic, there was enough hints that Fox knew Sasha by being proxy to Bino. He's just never made a push for her until she broke up with Bino. Part of the issue with Fox, though, and it's not a bad thing, is that he was just being nice.

the issue, though, if i had to really nail it dow, is that Sasha has two good choices: Kevin and Fox. Kevin got to her first after the break-up, and from there on end it seemed like the two are hitting it off very well. Fox has to either let it go or wait until something happens to them, just like with Bino. But I'm pretty sure we don't want that.

@Buster: We just gotta hope Rick doesn't bring everyone from Heaven down to earth at that point. We're b eing invaded by heaven! Heck, i'm almost convinced Grape is from Heaven! D:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:His relationship with the angels was always strange and never going anywhere. In a lot of ways it never made sense, not because they are angels but because they’re two of them. If he were to have a serious relationship he would have to pick.
considering spring and summer are aware of each other and okay with each other, i don't see the fact that there's 3 people in their relationship being a problem. it's uncomon but not impossible. the reason relationships like that so often break down has nothing to do with the number of people involved, and everything to do with one person lying to the other two about each other for selfish reasons. no, if anything is going to throw a spanner into the works for fox, it's going to be heaven's skewed timescale making moments of contact too few and far between to allow any real stability to be built.
Meh, I’d rather it be Grape Res and Max if anyone gets three people involved, that’s practically how it is now anyway considering she flirts with both of them. Spring and Summer are dull and can’t even do much with Fox considering where they usually are, plus they aren’t flesh and blood right now considering what Breel brought up. While I’m not sure I think it will be Daisy like someone’s suggesting, I wouldn’t mind him finding a more permanently around girl for Fox.

Also Cobra, where in the world did you get the idea Grape is from heaven?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Fen, you know Terrance is a fan favorite for better or for worst and a lot of people like Daisy. Why do you got to hate on stuff you know has fans?
I like seeing what happens and people’s reactions. Whenever I see that the conversation is drying up I try to reignite it. :D
For the record I have nothing against Terrance in general. It’s hard to have an opinion when he’s been seen so rarely. Honestly I don’t understand why he’s a fan favorite (Daisy too for that matter) because he’s seen so rarely. I know that it happens and people latch onto characters whose role was short and fleeting (then they come back and they’re evil and they break your heart....sorry got off track). We’ve been down this “Terrance” road before only a few strips ago so I’m not going to take it there again but I will reiterate my point from before. ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Gameb18oy wrote:Also Cobra, where in the world did you get the idea Grape is from heaven?
Take a look at the heavenly huskies and ask yourself if they would look out of place next to Grape with their fur patterns :3

That being said, though, i'm convinced Grape is a natural purple cat.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm going to go with the fact that Grape is a rare cat that stood out and the Sandwiches were the first one who saw her to go with her origin as opposed to a heaven origin instead. If she was, I'm sure we would have seen some signs by now in the decade or so the comic has been running. LOL
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Gameb18oy wrote:
I don't think "shot himself in the foot" is the right expression for what Rick Griffin did. He clearly knew that setting up a Fox Sasha pairing only to have her date Kevin would be unpopular, going as far as saying on twitter "everyone will hate me" in jest. Keep in mind that as important as we feel as fans, we are still just fans and the story we want to unfold might not be the best story in a literary sense or even the story Mr. Griffin wants to tell.
Gameb18oy wrote:
Just because they rarely interact doesn't mean they never interact at all. In all three of the on-offs they're in together, they're both silly, but in a way that's quintessentially Sasha and Kevin.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A lot of people don't like the "Sevin" pairing because they feel bad that Fox got yanked around. I don't like it because I like Kevin.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

… and the poignancy of his unrequited affection is a central element in the charm of Fox's character. So, too, perhaps, is that Sasha is gently oblivious to his yearnings (while Kevin - the stinker - is NOT!).
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:I don't think "shot himself in the foot" is the right expression for what Rick Griffin did. He clearly knew that setting up a Fox Sasha pairing only to have her date Kevin would be unpopular, going as far as saying on twitter "everyone will hate me" in jest. Keep in mind that as important as we feel as fans, we are still just fans and the story we want to unfold might not be the best story in a literary sense or even the story Mr. Griffin wants to tell.
I have to agree. Adding that dynamic adds a level of drama in the comic. If Fox and Sasha ended up together, happy ever after, would that be enough? This way it adds a thread throughout the series that we can get back too, exhibit A. Even though the Kevin and Sasha relationship is insignificant on the surface considering they're both secondary if not tertiary characters, have that makes Fox's character more dynamic. It allows him to grow as a character as he struggles with his feelings and yearning. Not to mention it gives the reader something to root for (if you're on the SS Fox&Sasha) which gets the reader coming back when Rick dangles that possibility in front of them. An example of this is "Regular Show" Mordecai and Margret, which was one of the best threads for years as a will they or won't they trope. I'd rather have Fox end up with someone else. Sasha is a fun character and works well with Kevin, they compliment each other. Fox needs a mate with depth and substance.
NHWestoN wrote:… and the poignancy of his unrequited affection is a central element in the charm of Fox's character. So, too, perhaps, is that Sasha is gently oblivious to his yearnings (while Kevin - the stinker - is NOT!).
There are moments when you wonder if Kevin is being sadistic at times when he flaunts the fact that he got Sasha and Fox didn't. That face in the water, it looks like he's staring at Sasha's back but he could be giving Fox this look of belligerence
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think Kevin might be just a little because that look in the bath was at Sasha and not Fox.