Artificial Relationships

Discuss the comic here
GameCobra

Re: Artificial Relationships

Post by GameCobra »

Bandit1990 wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Bino and Duchess for the most part fit a sitcom nemesis relationship. They could be the evil rich or neighborly type in the future. x3
Their relationship struck me as interesting. Bino seems to be legitimately infatuated with Duchess, while she has pretty much openly stated that she sees relationships as tools and is using him to take advantage of his position in the community. (And that doesn't seem to bother him, if he's even noticed.)
It's amusing to point out Bino seems to like her No Nonsense attitude. He didn't seem to know who Duchess until that point x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i would share what i think holds their relationship together, but this forum has content guidelines and i'm pretty sure going into detail about alternate uses for a whip, muzzle, and halter would break them.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:i would share what i think holds their relationship together, but this forum has content guidelines and i'm pretty sure going into detail about alternate uses for a whip, muzzle, and halter would break them.
Better not to Determine exactly what Sealed the deal for them, and for clarification I’m not talking about Marriage when I say sealed the deal. (I wonder if they’ll get onto me for my sneaky way of bringing it up?)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

What happens outside the comic panels stays outside the comic panels …………. :shock:
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Buster wrote:i would share what i think holds their relationship together, but this forum has content guidelines and i'm pretty sure going into detail about alternate uses for a whip, muzzle, and halter would break them.
Considering Bino’s gluttony for punishment, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s acquainted with the love whip. Then again, I doubt Duchess cares about Bino enough that she’d bother with it.
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

He does seem rather impervious to physical pain … as well as connecting his failures to his behavior.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah but I don't see anything to suggest that he LIKES it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bino enjoying his humiliations would definitely diminish our enjoyment of his innumerable wallopings.
Douglas Collier

“It would be fun to see Tarot and Peanut going on a non-Dragon influenced date. =3 I can’t recall the last time we saw her truly enjoy herself with him since she was introduced. Magic shenanigans have always gotten in the way.” ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Douglas Collier wrote:“It would be fun to see Tarot and Peanut going on a non-Dragon influenced date. =3 I can’t recall the last time we saw her truly enjoy herself with him since she was introduced. Magic shenanigans have always gotten in the way.” ;)
Honestly, and don’t get upset with me saying this, I kinda worry that the relationship only worked when Peanut was kinda dating Dragon. Maybe I’m overreacting to some bad moments, but honestly, non-avatar Tarot... doesn’t seem to really appreciate Peanut for who he is a lot of the time. It’s annoying not knowing who was more in control at certain points because I liked their relationship at first, but lately, it’s felt like Peanut is the only one who takes the relationship seriously, and she often gets upset when he does stuff she can’t, like that creative way to solve the puzzle in the temple... someone please tell me if I’m overreacting because a part me feels like I am.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You can tell when Dragon was influencing what was going on because Tarot's eyes were green which meant that Dragon was controlling her.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:“It would be fun to see Tarot and Peanut going on a non-Dragon influenced date. =3 I can’t recall the last time we saw her truly enjoy herself with him since she was introduced. Magic shenanigans have always gotten in the way.” ;)
Honestly, and don’t get upset with me saying this, I kinda worry that the relationship only worked when Peanut was kinda dating Dragon. Maybe I’m overreacting to some bad moments, but honestly, non-avatar Tarot... doesn’t seem to really appreciate Peanut for who he is a lot of the time. It’s annoying not knowing who was more in control at certain points because I liked their relationship at first, but lately, it’s felt like Peanut is the only one who takes the relationship seriously, and she often gets upset when he does stuff she can’t, like that creative way to solve the puzzle in the temple... someone please tell me if I’m overreacting because a part me feels like I am.
we've had lengthy debates over this topic, ostensibly those elements to their relationship are still present we just don't see them cause rick can only squeeze so many characters into a given page.

i personally don't buy it and think he has more chemistry with max than he does with tarot at this stage, but that's the official line as far as i remember.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really have no opinion on whether Peanut/Tarot make a good couple because I can either take them or leave them. As I said before, even though I know they are friends my preference is actually Karishad/Tarot.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i thought we were supposed to leave kari out of stuff because of his 'expy of an actual person' status?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I don’t think chemistry is the problem here, though I will say Kari and Tarot do have good friend chemistry and I kinda wish Rick would let them have a relationship like King and Fox built up. The not seeing the nice moments excuse works alright with Max and Grape, but honestly, Tarot isn’t the best girlfriend in a lot of her appearances. I don’t think many people can deny, she often seems to look down at him, like because of how random he can be it must mean he’s stupid or something. It was there in the early days, but it was balanced out a little by Tarot being a little less out-spoken back then. I honestly liked them more back then. Ugh, I wish it was easier to talk about this, but I worry I’m not being clear on certain points

... also considering there’s a chance Max might be both a dog lover and into boys as well as girls due to the Rufus kiss... I mean I wouldn’t mind Max and Peanut getting a ship if nothing canon
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When I was talking about Kari, I was talking about the fox and wasn't bring up anything about the ACTUAL Kari. Ugh, its difficult to give my thoughts without trying to break that rule.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Back to Buster's point, Peanut and Maxwell seem to have become real pals. It might be interesting to see the two of them in an adventure, although factoring out Grape would be tricky, I guess.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not if the adventure involved rescuing Grape from something. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, that's got more levels of possibilities than Mesozoic strata …. :)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Not if the adventure involved rescuing Grape from something. XD
then the problem becomes finding a threat that grape needs rescuing from though. cause he last time that was needed, a prehistoric village burned down.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well then something they think is a threat and they think she is helpless or they think she is missing and they team up and find her.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gameb18oy wrote:I don’t think chemistry is the problem here, though I will say Kari and Tarot do have good friend chemistry and I kinda wish Rick would let them have a relationship like King and Fox built up. The not seeing the nice moments excuse works alright with Max and Grape, but honestly, Tarot isn’t the best girlfriend in a lot of her appearances. I don’t think many people can deny, she often seems to look down at him, like because of how random he can be it must mean he’s stupid or something. It was there in the early days, but it was balanced out a little by Tarot being a little less out-spoken back then. I honestly liked them more back then. Ugh, I wish it was easier to talk about this, but I worry I’m not being clear on certain points

... also considering there’s a chance Max might be both a dog lover and into boys as well as girls due to the Rufus kiss... I mean I wouldn’t mind Max and Peanut getting a ship if nothing canon
Yeah early Tarot was a bit sweeter. I can partially attribute that to Dragon's fangirling influence.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I might have been wrong about Buchess and Duchess really DOES care for Bino considering the current strip and what Mungo barged in on.

Or maybe Duchess is planning on drowning him. Who knows?
Douglas Collier

She was probably propositioning a political arrangement, since Bino’s (currently) the one with the power at the GODC. He’s probably less of a pushover now that he has a bear to bolster his confidence, so Duchess has to work harder to get what she wants.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Next time we see Duchess in her mansion, she may be lounging a bear-skin rug. I don't think much scares her. That said, it might be fun to see her up the Babylon Gardens power ante and challenge the ferrets.

As for Bino, well, he's resentful, envious, and self-interest - but he's clever in a malign, calculating way. They're a promising team.
Douglas Collier

Somehow, I doubt that Bino is the brains of the operation. He seems more like a pawn with notions of grandeur. The only thing that keeps him in power is his dogged unacceptance of defeat.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Trust me if Bino had brains when it came to getting popular with the other dogs, he would have gotten it by now.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Trust me if Bino had brains when it came to getting popular with the other dogs, he would have gotten it by now.
... you know Duchess actually might have some more of an idea of this than Bino, whose to say she couldn’t teach Bino on how to effectively manipulate others?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The really key question about Bino is - why does ANYONE put up with the abrasive little twerp, let alone credit him with any kind of leadership position or image ??? It was intriguing back when he decided to get Sasha to return to him by getting the other leaders in the Good Ol' Dogs Club to abuse her into seeing him as her only possible boyfriend. They were all extremely uncomfortable with the plot - especially our current hero, Fox - but they all went along with it. Much of his bile originally seemed to feed off his envy of brother, Fido, and a boiling obsession to show up his star-imaged sibling. That non-competition seems to have slipped into the shadows, but the insecurity and sense of grievance remain.

Often in a group - an office, a playground, a goal-focused society - there's one member who is really adept at getting others to stick their necks out on behalf of his or her goals. Bino seems to be that bloke. Even though his schemes often backfire, he often escapes with only minor burns and others get scalded. He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but he's rivetingly single-minded in pursuit of his aims. Maybe that's why Duchess finds him attractive … or useful … or both. Love's funny like that.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:The really key question about Bino is - why does ANYONE put up with the abrasive little twerp, let alone credit him with any kind of leadership position or image ??? It was intriguing back when he decided to get Sasha to return to him by getting the other leaders in the Good Ol' Dogs Club to abuse her into seeing him as her only possible boyfriend. They were all extremely uncomfortable with the plot - especially our current hero, Fox - but they all went along with it. Much of his bile originally seemed to feed off his envy of brother, Fido, and a boiling obsession to show up his star-imaged sibling. That non-competition seems to have slipped into the shadows, but the insecurity and sense of grievance remain.

Often in a group - an office, a playground, a goal-focused society - there's one member who is really adept at getting others to stick their necks out on behalf of his or her goals. Bino seems to be that bloke. Even though his schemes often backfire, he often escapes with only minor burns and others get scalded. He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but he's rivetingly single-minded in pursuit of his aims. Maybe that's why Duchess finds him attractive … or useful … or both. Love's funny like that.
I think it was said back in the early days, when the cast arguably acted less like humans anyway, it was kinda due to feeding off the influence of being Fido’s brother, who everyone liked and willingly listened to. How he kept that power when the characters started to become more developed is another story though, especially as I don’t think the club even meets anymore
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Fido has just started reappearing in the strip after a long absence with only occasional cameos, usually tied to Sabrina. (Anyone remember Spo?) He does seem to have shrunk, partly because his role is largely tied to being PDK9 and that's not a venue for individual performances. Rick may have decided to postpone any arc where a Fox-Fido reconciliation surfaces (or he may just have no interest in going there at all (yet?)).

Bino's belligerence has pretty much come to envelop anyone who is happy for any reason or has some tangential connection with someone he detests (like King). The Good Ol' Dogs Club has kind gone dormant, I guess. Rick'll conjure it back if he needs the venue for a multi-character story but, otherwise, the Club "lives" off stage, sorta like the Zoo.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have a feeling that sooner rather than later the club will end up folding completely leaving Bino scrambling to set up a new club but failing completely.

And Duchess will probably dump him as she has no more use for him.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Eh, I like the idea that she for some odd reason likes him back, its cute and not like they aren't perfect for each other considering they are aware they are the worst and dont even try to improve.

... Also West, why you got to mention Spo, I miss the little mouse even more than some people missed Fido, I feel like we were robbed of a few comics featuring the mice, especially when due to the cat's being freaked out by how crazy strong of endurance squeak's... special interests have given her, they probably are only at risk of the ferrets eating them if they haven't completely gotten over that interest from long ago, considering you're a Daisy fan I'm sure you know the arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think it is much as endurance as it is its hard to crush her. After Mr. Bigglesworth stepped on her, she seemed pretty dazed. I wouldn't think that a cat would be able to apply so much force that it crushes a mouse so they have to kill it through other means.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, Game, Squeak did turn up in aqua-gear for a non-speaking cameo but maybe she'd grab the mike back later on. I always liked Spo's running commentary on Fido's police work. Who knows, Spo might even turn up in the Spa … heck, maybe even Daisy'll put in an appearance. Monday's comin'.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm wondering if Fido finally got fed up with Spo making snotty comments and banned him from going with him when he was out on duty.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... or the force just couldn't come up with a badge small enough for Spo to wear.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Spo never was a K9 unit member. He just hung around with Fido. Fido must have the patience of a SAINT to put up with Bino and Spo who both can have snotty personalities.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I feel Spo was an unofficial member of the group, that’s how I’ve always seen him anyway. Though I don’t think this is relevant to the topic in here, so if we want to talk about Spo, we should probably set up a different place for it. Getting things back on track, should we talk about Sasha some?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

OK! Let's talk about how Sasha doesn't view commitment as an essential part of a relationship due to how she reacted to Fox's confession! :mrgreen: