Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

furrygamer793

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by furrygamer793 »

What are they after? I might not have looked hard enough but is someone in the room the other one is after?
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

If you mean the second monster, then the actual reason they split up is because the Jenny and Ulrich weren't where they were when Ulrich raised the shield. They didn't break through the walls until after Recon hid Jenny and Ulrich, so they split up to search both ends of the hall for them.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sorry I haven't posted. I'm just... too darn tired to do it tonight. Will probably go to bed early. I don't think I can stay up for much longer.
-Champion Motto

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

If anyone is wondering, "skirrl" is the word for the noise bagpipes make. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I've always described it as "flock of angry geese, the instrument" but ok
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay hold up, Kol is underestimating the yield of a standard grenade, and is unaware of the inherent problems of using explosive ordinance indoors, because she's used to primitive gunpowder bombs. What's kolt's excuse?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

1. Quint’s actually in control while Kolt deals with his headache.
2. As the post said, it’s a spatial warping grenade. It’s something I’ve mentioned way back on page 47, and it’s designed to replicate the power of one of Kolt’s old teammates who had the ability to warp space around her. As for it’s effectiveness, well, what do you think would happen if all your internal organs were stretched, warped, and bent in ways they were never meant to?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

with these things i'm not expecting anything that doesn't obliterate the nervous system to do much.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

True. But this is pretty much the best Quint can do right now. The Lethal Mode, while very much deserving of its name, is not designed for tight spaces like this. It’s more powerful weapons would absolutely hurt the others if used in their current environment, and the ones that wouldn’t require a charging time they don’t have.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey. It's been long enough that normally I would move things along now, but given I'm just getting to my computer and it's almost 8:00pm and I have a stomach ache, I probably won't be writing the full post tonight. I'll try to have it up by tomorrow morning though.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Just so you know, Archangel did not just pull heat vision out of nowhere. Saints (his species) are massively radioactive, but it's normally contained completely inside their bodies. Most species from his planet share this. Saints are sometimes born with the ability to release this radiation from their eyes, mouthes, and sometimes fingertips.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

It's almost as though Jenny has something against giant conglomerations performing illegal and immoral experiments to create bio-weapons they can't control...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

It wouldn’t surprise me if the corporation behind this was previously traded as H.Y.H.W.A.A.F.L., or Hope You Haven't Watched Any Alien Films Lately Inc.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Insert the Weyland yutani logo, done up in umbrella colors here

Joking asside, the second half of this mission has me wondering if CD somehow got into my notes on the skyrr. Cause would fit their MO perfectly.

Preadator(preadator series)/collector (Mass Effect series) inspired species that see all non psionic life as equivalent to cattle and harvest them for raw material to augment their own genome/anatomy, usually using body-doubles that Look like the species being harvested to front operations, and engineering disasters to mask the mass disapearances. It's why I had kobor being paranoid about yahrin or however it's spelled. He sees them as an equivalent.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

This work?
Also, these Skyrr sound a lot like this one conspiracy in this one sci-fi story I read a while ago. They used similar tactics to make sure species from dangerous planets (like humanity) self-destructed before they could join the galactic community at large.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

similar, but the Skyrr don't care about the other races. they're one of the factions the alliance defends against. (origionally it was just one, but then development happened and the Ghrakkal alone weren't enough to justify a unilateral military alliance answerable to no government controlling most of colonized space.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Not my best post I don't think. Was having some trouble getting inspired to write this, and had trouble knowing what to write.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry I haven’t posted yet guys. A combination of KH3 coming out, getting a nasty cold yesterday, plus waiting for June’s response to Liz, means I haven’t been able to post yet. As soon as I’m feeling good enough to write out a post I’ll do it.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm sorry I haven't posted yet. It took a while for there to be enough to reply to, and even now there are a few people who haven't posted. I might not get the post up until Saturday. I don't think I'm going to write tonight though. I'm just too tired.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legion is actually a lot easier to write for than any other character. I don't have to keep a specific personality in mind when writing them, and I don't have to remember what their color is since I can just pick a random one and say a different spirit is talking.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

on the flip side of that coin though legion has no fixed powerset, personality, upper limit, or handycaps. making them a walking deus ex machina; they are whatever the plot requires, and there for should be used sparingly and with care...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Their powerset consists of the powers that the Warlord demonstrated during the fight, but scaled down considerably and minus the whole stealing powers thing. They've also got some ghost-related powers mixed in. They're upper limit for the powers I would say is around level 6, maybe 7. None of them were powerful enough to take on the Warlord, even when he wasn't at his strongest. I suppose the handicap would be their ability to use said powers depends on them having a compatible physical body, so they wouldn't have access to the powers if they decide to literally ghost around for a bit. Legion is versatile, but not quite as OP as you think.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Bobbleheaded Old Horntoad OOC

Post by Buster »

so it just occurred to me that ever since she was piloting Predator, i've been having june experience the typical symptoms of gift burnout.

except those symptoms were designed with humans and hybrids in mind, kaal are incapable of feeling pain or fatigue...

oops...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

This might seem like an odd question, but what would you guys/gals say your characters don’t like about themselves? What is the part they’re ashamed of, what don’t they want to acknowledge, what would they repress if given the chance? For my characters, Lewis doesn’t like how all the crazy stuff in this dimension kinda freaks him out, Liz doesn’t want to acknowledge that on some level she still has feelings for Fortis, while Kolt refuses to acknowledge that his self loathing is so bad that he practically leaps at the slightest chance to sacrifice himself to save others.
In case you’re wondering, yes, I have been reading a lot on Persona 4 lately.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Lycan sometimes dislikes his affinity for fear. Lycans are particularly sensitive to the fears of others, being able to smell the difference between someone who is afraid and someone who isn't. Back in his horror movie days, it helped to be able to detect and enjoy fear as it was his job to make people afraid. Then it was very helpful when he started doing independent super hero work. Now that he's a full-time Champion, though, it tends to get in the way and make it tough for him to relate to others.

Eira used to on and off be ashamed of her Lycan side, as the worst of the bullying (including the incident that cost her her arm) was because she was often considered a monster by other kids. She also used to be ashamed of her missing arm, partly blaming herself and wondering if things would have been different if she had somehow fought back harder. Over time, both of these things went away. She's rather proud now to be a Lycan, and her ice arm is so dead useful it's impossible to be ashamed of.

Gear, of course, has a TON of regrets. After all, he was an assassin for the government and killed a lot of people, and the only thing that let him sleep at night were the assurances the government gave him that those people needed to die so others could live. Then he found out they lied to him. His lack of sleep over time was less because of his PTSD, and more because he has no idea how many innocent people he's killed in the past.

Legionnaire is similar. He was born in the first century and lived his life as a soldier in the roman legion before assassinating his own emperor to bring a war to an end. He was cursed with immortality ever since. Part of his curse seems to be that no matter how hard he tries to settle down, circumstances will always arrange themselves so that he must fight in whatever war is going on at the time. Nearly three thousand years of never ending war has given him a lot of things he hates about himself, especially because of values dissonance between the ages he's lived in.
Last edited by CyberDragon on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

She doesn't like to admit it but Kol always took to the arena because she gets a thrill out of sinking her claws into another living being.

Kobor doesn't have any... or atleast thinks he doesn't... so hubris i guess? i dunno that one seems a stretch, he's actually pretty well adjusted considering he's a member of a species who in general have a pretty flimsy grasp of things like 'empathy' 'family' 'romance' 'honesty' or 'mercy'. you did notice how his first resort to everything is 'no kill like overkill' and 'when in doubt, cheat' right? he doesn't see those as flaws though.

Talya's entire personality is the byproduct of trauma, and is as close as a kaal can get to being bipolar, it would be easier to list what parts of her aren't screwed up.

june's too young to have developed those kind of neurotic habits.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana has a fair few that she just hasn't had much need or care to face. Really spending ten years as a mercenary in the morally ambiguous Rim under the constant employ of even more morally ambiguous corporations has done a number on her that she hasn't cared to count just yet. Even now that she's out of the Rim she's been kept mostly busy so her mind hasn't had much time to wander "there" just yet.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Corp has feeling for the Captain that he's doing his best to hide.

Jenny just plain can't stand her own childhood.

Hanabelle only regrets taking financial advice and, possibly, Jenevive's father. Although she'd do that again because she got Jenevive out of it.

Sana regrets not upgrading her modem to the latest version for three weeks when she was 12 as the new version didn't come in shocking Red colour. It enabled another hacker to beat her in a race.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Colorado doesn't like admitting to himself that he's had issues ever since the war and that instead of seeking real help, he just let his PTSD and depression work their way into his life and all he did to combat it was try and drink the pain away. This realization coupled with a variety of "bad days" has led to more than a few attempts from him. The knowledge that he can still save lives was, up until recently, the only driving force behind him.

Ulrich doesn't like the fact that he's starting to feel his age.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

My apologies for the delay, but sifting through all of the posts with kolt in them so i don't contradict something with my next post is taking time.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sorry about this, but I probably won't have the post up until tomorrow. I would have had it up last night, but I accidentally deleted all of my progress. :(
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Chaotic Systems Predictor (CSP) that Gear has is partly responsible for Gear's impossibly good aim. On the surface, it predicts every gust of wind and every turn that his bullets will make during it's flight, and exactly where it will hit. This allows him to adjust his aim until the CSP tells him he will hit his target. On the other side, it also predicts everything else around him up to a few seconds. On the surface, that means he knows where his target will be when the bullet reaches it. That is just the primary application for it though. Basically the CSP gives a ~1 minute glimpse into the future. Depending on a number of factors like individual choices and other variables, that is.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well it’s a good thing he had that, because if Kolt got down there and found Jenny’s torn up, bullet filled corpse, he would SNAP. Those guards would have roughly five seconds before they find themselves choking on forcefields tendrils snaking down their throats to shred their internal organs. And then he’d probably spend the next week or so crying in his room while muttering about how it’s all his fault, occasionally taking a break to play a game or watch some tv, before something reminds him of her and he starts crying again.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if it's gathering enough information to predict events more than a fraction of a second in advance then it's apparently also sends a massive middle finger in the direction of Werner Heisenberg's grave, and the law of physics named after him i see.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, or in layman terms, the gigantic roadblock keeping things like teleportation and precognition from being anything other than fiction, failed experiments, and scams.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Superheros frequently can't exist without going against some laws of physics. I'm aware of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. I'm also aware that Gear can't be a superhuman sniper with a 100% accuracy rating without violating it to some degree.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Sorry for not posting or for my already bad writing becoming even worse. I don't really have an excuse, my life's just kinda sitting on autopilot mode right now.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

C'mon, guys! Don't make her a fibber! Someone's gotta try ripping that door off or rending it open.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Chris can do it using MT's strength.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I was planning on having Quint use the railgun his suit has to try and blow a hole in the door once I get off work.