2019/03/15 - A Few Of My Favorite Things

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: 2019/03/15 - A Few Of My Favorite Things

Post by Obbl »

That's been one of the best parts of this ship since the beginning ;) that and the ship itself
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Glad to see that this ship is sort of still around. Admittingly, I never quite gave up on it since I enjoyed the platonic nature when it it is brought up in some way shape or form. Not saying I don't find the cuteness in Tarot and Peanut, and Grape and Max, being together, but...you know... :D
trekkie wrote:It could be that Grape is blushing because she realizes that she might be doing more for Peanut than for Max, and she needs to work on that.
I think it might be more that Peanut in a sense just said he still sort of carrying a torch for her, granted not as heavily as it use to be. At least that's how I look at. Honestly, Grape and Max I think have always had a strange chemistry in their relationship with her apparently having some serious wandering-eye syndrome for any muscular feline (and canines if last strip was any indicator) that I don't think is all that different from Peanut and Tarot in way. Main difference though is that I think their relationship is actually improving, if gradually, that even if Grape enjoys being semi-couple-y with Peanut every now and again it won't be an issue.

That said, I'm not trying to say Peanut and Tarot aren't improving in their relationship, but it's moments like this when Tarot's more calculated and logical side is out, or when she's worried about something cataclysmic happening (granted I don't think I can fault her in that respect), that it feels like for every step forward they end up taking a step back. So I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how this bit of heart-to-heart will go for them.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

pokeblue wrote:Glad to see that this ship is sort of still around. Admittingly, I never quite gave up on it since I enjoyed the platonic nature when it it is brought up in some way shape or form. Not saying I don't find the cuteness in Tarot and Peanut, and Grape and Max, being together, but...you know... :D
trekkie wrote:It could be that Grape is blushing because she realizes that she might be doing more for Peanut than for Max, and she needs to work on that.
I think it might be more that Peanut in a sense just said he still sort of carrying a torch for her, granted not as heavily as it use to be. At least that's how I look at. Honestly, Grape and Max I think have always had a strange chemistry in their relationship with her apparently having some serious wandering-eye syndrome for any muscular feline (and canines if last strip was any indicator) that I don't think is all that different from Peanut and Tarot in way. Main difference though is that I think their relationship is actually improving, if gradually, that even if Grape enjoys being semi-couple-y with Peanut every now and again it won't be an issue.

That said, I'm not trying to say Peanut and Tarot aren't improving in their relationship, but it's moments like this when Tarot's more calculated and logical side is out, or when she's worried about something cataclysmic happening (granted I don't think I can fault her in that respect), that it feels like for every step forward they end up taking a step back. So I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how this bit of heart-to-heart will go for them.
While the hunk chasing aspect of her relationship is a negative, the two of them have shown to bury the torch on that. It's up to Grape to keep it in check, which I'm sure she intends to. Max has faith in her at this point and I doubt Grape will abuse that.

@trekkie: I'm convinced she's just embarrassed that Peanut is suggesting Tarot act more like Grape. Also, awkward! x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

GameCobra wrote:Also, the annoying pet one i recall is not just Bino, but mice. and possibly Joey.
And everyone who was playing The Game.

And everyone who found out he was a Cat Lover.

Actually given his ADD tendencies I suspect every other pet is annoying sometimes.

PS: the mice aren't technically annoying pets.

PPS: you just lost.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Grape blushing :oops:
So cute ^^
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

OK, now it makes sense! When Peanut thought dying of an aneurysm was "Awesome" he was just being a guy. He'd rather face horrible death than have to talk about his feelings.

And to Argent, no, I did not just lose, because it is a "Strange game, the only winning move is not to play." So I wasn't in and therefore I won.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So, Tef, you've played "Last Poster Wins", right? ;)
Argent

Post by Argent »

That's like "Last Predator Standing" except with reputation?

Also there's an XKCD for everything.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Those are some genuinely reasonable requests, practically necessities, in a relationship. Luckily, Grape's got them covered already, eh? ;)
and another tease, I want to believe, but also don't until there's something solid. it's a vicious cycle
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Nice to know that after 11 years, the Grapenut teases are still going strong.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, so Peanut wants someone like Grape, someone with her character... He wants Grape, actually. :P Grapenut never dies... ;) Ok, Tarot is your current girlfriend, and she already seemed fine to you, Peanut, also if she hasn't really those requests of yours. Yeah, Tarot doesn't make demand with Peanut... Now she is a bit upset. :roll: This relationship is suddenly risking a break up... :?
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

Has anyone considered that maybe Peanut doesn't have to pick one or the other? He has two paws after all
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

biddyfox wrote:Has anyone considered that maybe Peanut doesn't have to pick one or the other? He has two paws after all
... you’re suggesting he just be single and self reliant right? Even without Grape’s provocation, he said he wanted a girlfriend, so why would he not pick one, assuming they are gonna break up
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

Gameb18oy wrote:
biddyfox wrote:Has anyone considered that maybe Peanut doesn't have to pick one or the other? He has two paws after all
... you’re suggesting he just be single and self reliant right?
Not at all! I'm suggesting he simultaneously (with all involved parties agreeing of course) date Tarot and Grape both. Perhaps even Max too (Peanut actually has four paws so that works fine.)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Tarot wouldn't be the type to wanna be number 2 in a relationship which you know she would be because Grapenut has a big bond. That would cause problems with Max also. Heck, I don't think GRAPE would want to share Peanut with anybody if it gets to that.
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

Keep in mind that a big part of their relationship consisted of Tarot following orders from Dragon, Peanut mistaking Dragon for Tarot, and Dragon directly getting in the way like this. She may not even know how to relax anymore now that she has no divine power backing her, so I'd expect Tarot to try to maintain control over everything. That or have a nervous breakdown.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
Vanice

Post by Vanice »

Fish Preferred wrote:Keep in mind that a big part of their relationship consisted of Tarot following orders from Dragon, Peanut mistaking Dragon for Tarot, and Dragon directly getting in the way like this. She may not even know how to relax anymore now that she has no divine power backing her, so I'd expect Tarot to try to maintain control over everything. That or have a nervous breakdown.
You mean like the breakdown she had here?Image
man i've got to login more often
"I've been having these weird thoughts lately...."
"Like is any of this for real? Or not?"
Niara

Post by Niara »

Honestly, as much as I doubt I'll ever see it done in any source of public story media... My hope has always (and continues to be), that one of these days, in one of these arcs, we might arrive at the lesson that... much as it might surprise some people, poly relationships are a thing, and they can and do exist in well communicated and emotionally/mentally healthy manners, wherever people can relax back from feeling compelled to follow the more common arbitrary social/religious norms.

It's not about cheating or being unfaithful and it's not about having an open relationship (Unless that is a thing that everyone who is apart of the relationship understands and is comfortable with, of course)... it's just a form of relationship, not overly different from any other 'normal' two-party relationship, save that it tends to take a bit more attention to awareness and communication to keep healthy... So it's something I'd love to see represented properly some time (I'm biased, I admit, since I'm part of a poly relationship myself), and this comic has a pretty good environment for something like that coming up naturally.

To be honest though, if something like that were to be a possible outcome here, then what we'd really need to see would be more relationship-oriented communication between Max and Peanut, and Max and Tarot... but in different social groupings their inter-personal dynamics (the differences between how each person behaves in different two-person, three-person and four-person situations) all end up working quite well.

I know it's almost certainly not a potential outcome to any of this, but I still hold a little candle for it regardless.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Vanice wrote:
Fish Preferred wrote:Keep in mind that a big part of their relationship consisted of Tarot following orders from Dragon, Peanut mistaking Dragon for Tarot, and Dragon directly getting in the way like this. She may not even know how to relax anymore now that she has no divine power backing her, so I'd expect Tarot to try to maintain control over everything. That or have a nervous breakdown.
You mean like the breakdown she had here?Image
man i've got to login more often
I feel like this isn’t the only time that’s happened... you know I’m mentally groaning considering this, but considering Tarot’s connection to a demigod... do you think Rick thought it be funny to give her a god complex? (Or just a straightforward superior complex as that be simpler)
Promidience

Post by Promidience »

I truly believe that there has to be some breaking point at which peanut who is slightly emotional (except for the time being of being controlled by medicine) will hopefully embrace with grape. It may possibly be the thing that breaks the barrier in her mind of how she sees peanut as and allows the mere thought to linger.
Or what would just bring me pure joy would be for her to not mention what peanut has said in this conversation and then to go back and think on everything that has happened with them (up to the point of the last grapenut tease and the small parts since) and make her think semi-romantically and for her to bring it up to him.
Those are just my small fantasies as I've always rooted for team grapenut. But if either way, this is going to keep me on the edge of my seat.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sadly, Tarot seems to be one of these hyper-analytical, emotionally inhibited sorts who seems more comfortable and open talking about feelings than having them. She understands the cosmic better than the romantic and, as Kitsune observed, suffers from an exaggerated sense of her own responsibilities.

I've always wondered if the fact she's the only major character without an apparent "mom" and "dad" is an influence in her attitude towards relationships...that and her being older.

Thought: so a new character moves to town, a Russian wolfhound with the Volga tovarich accent. He's handsome, cultivated, intelligent, cosmopolitan, and he takes a shine to Tarot. What's Tarot going to do? And how would Peanut and others react to the interloper reshuffling the deck?

....and would moving Tarot away from Peanut open the prospect for a "Grapenut" reconsideration..... ?

Or not.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

pokeblue wrote:Glad to see that this ship is sort of still around. Admittingly, I never quite gave up on it since I enjoyed the platonic nature when it it is brought up in some way shape or form. Not saying I don't find the cuteness in Tarot and Peanut, and Grape and Max, being together, but...you know... :D
Max and Grape's relationship has seen a reasonable amount of development, and I think that Grape's affection for Max is very genuine. She does have a bad case of Wandering Eye Syndrome, though. And in the case of Res, it feels like there's a bit of wandering heart there as well.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

Nope GRAPES TOTTALY CRUSHING On PEANUT"
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

Niara wrote:Honestly, as much as I doubt I'll ever see it done in any source of public story media... My hope has always (and continues to be), that one of these days, in one of these arcs, we might arrive at the lesson that... much as it might surprise some people, poly relationships are a thing, and they can and do exist in well communicated and emotionally/mentally healthy manners, wherever people can relax back from feeling compelled to follow the more common arbitrary social/religious norms.
I agree totally with this and I get a feeling this might actually be where things end up. The earlier thing with Sasha and Fox hinted towards pet relationship dynamics not being one to one to human social norms (they really have no reason to be) so I think it's a definite possibility. It'd also be a good way of appeasing both the grapenut and grapemax(?) parties, though i do think Rick should do exactly what he wants with the story without trying too hard to appease the fandom.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You know the whole Grapenut thing reminds me of Will and Grace. They are perfect for each other but can't actually be together for various reasons.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah but unlike them, Peanut isn't gay and they aren't step-siblings like those two are but adoptive siblings.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Dayzee, is there a reason you felt it necessary to list the ways that the comic differs from Fenrir's analogy?
OilPaws

Post by OilPaws »

Oh! That polyamorous projection is starting to look very plausible. I also have a feeling that Tarot is about to go on one of her infamous tirades again... oh dear. She doesn't do well with the prospect of losing control.
Please presume I have no idea what I'm doing; it's okay. I do not. : )
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She sounds a lot like me in that regard though I'm too inarticulate to go into a tirade like Tarot does.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I just wanted to throw this in and remind everyone, that Pets do not have the same view on relationships as humans do.
So while I don't think the arc will end in a polyamorous relationship (not that I mind) it would not be so strange as we (humans) may think.

Also even if Peanut and Grape aren't blood related and just adopted siblings, there is still the possibility that their sibling bond still prevents them from getting together as a couple. Also before they just hang around each other before going more outside to meet others.

I could imagine this arc doesn't end with a change of relationship, but more with some much needed character development for Peanut and Tarot or at least more insight into them.

Afterall, during the BC arc we did saw how they care for each other.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is what I was trying to point out though in a way that most likely confused everybody. Grapenut for the majority of their life have been raised as siblings so even if they do have feelings for each other, the fact that they call the same two people mom and dad might make it icky for them to try anything.
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:I just wanted to throw this in and remind everyone, that Pets do not have the same view on relationships as humans do.
I never took what Griswold says there literally. Isn't he just trying to make himself look bad, like everyone else is doing?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:I just wanted to throw this in and remind everyone, that Pets do not have the same view on relationships as humans do.
So while I don't think the arc will end in a polyamorous relationship (not that I mind) it would not be so strange as we (humans) may think.

Also even if Peanut and Grape aren't blood related and just adopted siblings, there is still the possibility that their sibling bond still prevents them from getting together as a couple. Also before they just hang around each other before going more outside to meet others.

I could imagine this arc doesn't end with a change of relationship, but more with some much needed character development for Peanut and Tarot or at least more insight into them.

I just read back on the Sasha thing... and was that the first time Fox considered he might have a crush on Sasha? Also, I think that actually implied the opposite of what you were getting at. If Sasha of all characters didn’t want a guy who had multiple girls, I think more often than not, most of the pets prefer to only have to deal with one other partner
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Postcard wrote:
I never took what Griswold says there literally. Isn't he just trying to make himself look bad, like everyone else is doing?
I think there was a nugget of truth in there somewhere. :)
Also he never said that they actually know about each other. :?
Gameb18oy wrote:

I just read back on the Sasha thing... and was that the first time Fox considered he might have a crush on Sasha? Also, I think that actually implied the opposite of what you were getting at. If Sasha of all characters didn’t want a guy who had multiple girls, I think more often than not, most of the pets prefer to only have to deal with one other partner
I agree. We shouldn't assume that all pets have the same mindset on relationships based on one or two pets especially if again that pet's idea is skewed to the point of over exaggeration for the sake of Fox's scheme. I think for the most part pets have a general monogamous ideal for relationships given what we've seen from them. There are a few who differ (Sasha) but that's life.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Eeeeee, Grapenut teasing again, finally! :D
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Never far away, is it?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It was for a while the past few years but now it is back!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

leinglo wrote:
Titanium Dragon wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:I can't believe he is going to tease Grapenut again. Don't do this to me, Rick, I had accepted this was dead for a while now, I know you aren't going to do it. I would love it if you did but, we all know your not. I can't go through wanting this to happen again when I know it's not going to no matter how much I want it.
I mean, when did he ever stop teasing GrapeNut? That's been a thing for ages. Remember that they went on a date after babysitting King's kids?
I'm convinced that if Rick ever fulfills GrapeNut, it will only be after he's thoroughly convinced every last fan that it will never happen.
I don't think that's possible.
leinglo wrote:That or the fulfillment of GrapeNut will the very last page of the comic. Grape and Peanut hook up, and boom! The End. No more Housepets.
You're not the first to suggest that by a long shot.
SeanWolf wrote:
Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:And I thought the Grapenut teasing was gone long before my time here.
We're naming a ship after a cereal? :)
You betcha! In Fact:
Postcard wrote:
Even if that was fictitious, there are still Sasha and Duchess's views.
fenrirblack wrote:I agree. We shouldn't assume that all pets have the same mindset on relationships based on one or two pets especially if again that pet's idea is skewed to the point of over exaggeration for the sake of Fox's scheme. I think for the most part pets have a general monogamous ideal for relationships given what we've seen from them. There are a few who differ (Sasha) but that's life.
Some pets try to mirror humans, some don't.
The cape comes with the promotion.