2019/03/27 - Straight From The Sauce

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: 2019/03/27 - Straight From The Sauce

Post by Obbl »

fenrirblack wrote:
Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:And King, Fox and the rest were on A plane when they went to Australia. Even Bruce and Rossevelt were there. Even if they had to return via cargo they originally had plane tickets.
They were also accompanied by a billionaire. All that really says is that if you have enough money you can make new rules. Billionaires are nominally human. Like corporations.
That's honestly poor business strategy if that's true. I mean if you have the money, billions or not, you should be able to buy something as simple as a plane ticket no matter who or what you are. Money is universal.
"Yeah, but... pets go with the cargo. They're animals. If we give animals a seat in the plane, that means a human would have to lose their seat. And I mean, we're the ones who invented planes, and we're the ones who keep these flights running. Why should we prioritize pets' comfort over our own?"
The problem with expecting society to be logical in stories is that you have a million easy examples of illogic in our own societies with which to compare.

Edit: Misremembered a thing :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That's honestly poor business strategy if that's true. I mean if you have the money, billions or not, you should be able to buy something as simple as a plane ticket no matter who or what you are. Money is universal.[/quote] "Yeah, but... pets go with the cargo. They're animals. If we give animals a seat in the plane, that means a human would have to lose their seat. And I mean, we're the ones who invented planes, and we're the ones who keep these flights running. Why should we prioritize pets' comfort over our own?"

Apparently, at least at the time, Keene's financial acumen had not yet risen to the level of a true plutocrat. You don't buy airline tickets for your animal compatriots. You buy the whole stinkin' airline! Money talks. More money talks louder..... ;)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Let’s not forget that Res’s owner is the one who gets the credit for the Pridelands franchise - Res doesn’t like the limelight. On the other hand, it would have been nice if his owner had at least let him travel Economy.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe because he was an unaccompanied pet?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Unaccompanied minors can make trips on planes. Why not have similar rules for pets?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

From Res’s comment it sounded more like it was an issue of money not rules of travel. I’m starting to think Res has like the worst agent.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Some folks like "box" seats ........ ;)
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

fenrirblack wrote:From Res’s comment it sounded more like it was an issue of money not rules of travel. I’m starting to think Res has like the worst agent.
Good point. Maybe he doesn't earn that much as some may think?

Also am I the only one who finds it hilarious how the whole topic is more about something which doesn't have anything to do with the strip? :lol:
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:That's honestly poor business strategy if that's true. I mean if you have the money, billions or not, you should be able to buy something as simple as a plane ticket no matter who or what you are. Money is universal.
Yeh, well, it's not in our world (redlining, for example, or going back further outright bans) so I can't imagine that it will be in a world were people are actually separate species rather than just having minor variations in albedo.

I really think it's not the money per-se that gets the Milton ferrets treated almost as humans, it's the power that much money implies.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:From Res’s comment it sounded more like it was an issue of money not rules of travel. I’m starting to think Res has like the worst agent.
Good point. Maybe he doesn't earn that much as some may think?

Also am I the only one who finds it hilarious how the whole topic is more about something which doesn't have anything to do with the strip? :lol:
I do find that hilarious. :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Loose threads meander...…. ask any sweater wearer. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:That's honestly poor business strategy if that's true. I mean if you have the money, billions or not, you should be able to buy something as simple as a plane ticket no matter who or what you are. Money is universal.
Yeh, well, it's not in our world (redlining, for example, or going back further outright bans) so I can't imagine that it will be in a world were people are actually separate species rather than just having minor variations in albedo.

I really think it's not the money per-se that gets the Milton ferrets treated almost as humans, it's the power that much money implies.
Its times like this I wish Rick would dive into the social aspects of the HPU more. Keene is really the only character who touches on the blatant hypocrisy of the society and animal rights but even with the ECP there is still a lot more he could do. King would be a perfect example to really showcase it (there are brief moments) but since we still haven’t seen him get a job that’s left in the shallows. If you want a list of perfect examples of comedy touching on deep subjects in humorous and intelligent ways then look up IGNs top Furturama episodes.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Argent wrote:

Its times like this I wish Rick would dive into the social aspects of the HPU more. Keene is really the only character who touches on the blatant hypocrisy of the society and animal rights but even with the ECP there is still a lot more he could do. King would be a perfect example to really showcase it (there are brief moments) but since we still haven’t seen him get a job that’s left in the shallows. If you want a list of perfect examples of comedy touching on deep subjects in humorous and intelligent ways then look up IGNs top Furturama episodes.
Fen, forgive me for hesitating, but I don’t know if I trust the place that criticizes a game for having too much water as the best source for analytical observations of comedy
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: Fen, forgive me for hesitating, but I don’t know if I trust the place that criticizes a game for having too much water as the best source for analytical observations of comedy
The list isn’t perfect (I mean they listed “the devils hands are idle playthings” as 22nd :shock: ) but it does make a few good points . Anyway it’s more about the show itself and what it did over the last twenty years that is what I’m getting at. It’s possible to combine comedy with deep subjects like social injustice and still be entertaining. Star vs TFOE does the same thing.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

alternately we've only seen the popularity of the series from the perspective of pets. what if it has extremely limited appeal outside that market, creating a sort of 'popular but niche' sort of marketing paradox that's limiting revenue.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Buster wrote:
alternately we've only seen the popularity of the series from the perspective of pets. what if it has extremely limited appeal outside that market, creating a sort of 'popular but niche' sort of marketing paradox that's limiting revenue.
I’ve wondered about that considering the majority of the fan base seems to be cats. But still those are a lot of cats buying the books. Plus it was still popular to get a movie series so that’s something.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Buster wrote:
I’ve wondered about that considering the majority of the fan base seems to be cats. But still those are a lot of cats buying the books. Plus it was still popular to get a movie series so that’s something.
Cats are the only ones that seem willing to admit they like it, honestly despite it not being brought up a lot, it seems like every dog that reads it ends up liking it, they just won’t publically admit it aside from Peanut and Mungo, so it feels like it’s not a niche book, cat’s are just the demographic that took to it the hardest. Heck, who knows, maybe the marketing was something Res’s owner takes care of, for all we know Res intended the book to be for all species but she saw a few things in it here and there that made her think it probably find the strongest audience with Res’s fellow felines
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I mean, one would ASSUME that it would actually have a strong demographic when it came to cats since the book series seems to be about royal felines.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: Cats are the only ones that seem willing to admit they like it, honestly despite it not being brought up a lot, it seems like every dog that reads it ends up liking it, they just won’t publically admit it aside from Peanut and Mungo, so it feels like it’s not a niche book, cat’s are just the demographic that took to it the hardest. Heck, who knows, maybe the marketing was something Res’s owner takes care of, for all we know Res intended the book to be for all species but she saw a few things in it here and there that made her think it probably find the strongest audience with Res’s fellow felines
There were other dogs who liked it and admitted it. The thing is though it shouldn't just appeal to cats even if it was"cat-oriented."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though if it is, that would have been the demographic just like MLP was supposed to be towards a younger demographic but people of all ages like it.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: Cats are the only ones that seem willing to admit they like it, honestly despite it not being brought up a lot, it seems like every dog that reads it ends up liking it, they just won’t publically admit it aside from Peanut and Mungo, so it feels like it’s not a niche book, cat’s are just the demographic that took to it the hardest. Heck, who knows, maybe the marketing was something Res’s owner takes care of, for all we know Res intended the book to be for all species but she saw a few things in it here and there that made her think it probably find the strongest audience with Res’s fellow felines
There were other dogs who liked it and admitted it. The thing is though it shouldn't just appeal to cats even if it was"cat-oriented."
Good ol’ Rex. I wonder if Fox reads Pridelands openly it now that he and Bino are no longer friends. He may not care for cats but he is a reader and he did like parts of it back when he was part of Bino’s posse.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know i could actually see Fox still reading it but because of his unresolved issues with Fido, I'm thinking he might still keep it a secret somewhat.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I wonder if Fido would be a fan, he is a cat lover, so the fact that it is seen as a series for cats might not bother him. It would be interesting if Fox and Fido were both fans, but because of their unresolved issues, neither knows the other is a fan. I could see King reading the books as really doesn’t give a carp what Bino and other G.O.D. members think, and the fact that Bino disapproves of dogs reading the series might make it more appealing to the corgi. I could also see Lester and Dallas getting into the series, though Lester would probably find a way to be annoying about it.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That could be something that happens. Though to me Fido doesn't seem like the type who would read that genre.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You know i could actually see Fox still reading it but because of his unresolved issues with Fido, I'm thinking he might still keep it a secret somewhat.
Fox HAS read Pridelands.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Read it and ADMITTED that they liked it in public and not what they did there Kitch.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

As someone listed as "the smart dog" in Book 1, I question why Fox hung around Bino for so many years because that contradicts his intelligence.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Loyalty, it seems. Sometimes that overrides sense. Remember, it wasn't until the Valentine's set-up with Sasha did he finally start to realize the problem.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though I do have to admit that it seemed a little too swift how Fox went from being friendly with Bino to outright HATING him and wanting to inflict bodily harm on him anytime the two of them are together. Seriously, he beat the crud out of him twice and wasn't adverse to a little bit of police brutality when Bino was taking the Rites of Adulthood challenge with the wolf cubs and if he saw him now he would probably end up so annoyed with Bino that he would attack him. I know the two aren't friends anymore, but rather than Fox seeming like he would take any opportunity to inflict bodily harm on Bino, he could just ignore him and give him the cold shoulder. That is something that has always got under my skin. Since Fox didn't seem to be the type to resort to gratuitous violence unless pushed to a very high breaking point (like learning that Joel was King.)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Though I do have to admit that it seemed a little too swift how Fox went from being friendly with Bino to outright HATING him and wanting to inflict bodily harm on him anytime the two of them are together. Seriously, he beat the crud out of him twice and wasn't adverse to a little bit of police brutality when Bino was taking the Rites of Adulthood challenge with the wolf cubs and if he saw him now he would probably end up so annoyed with Bino that he would attack him. I know the two aren't friends anymore, but rather than Fox seeming like he would take any opportunity to inflict bodily harm on Bino, he could just ignore him and give him the cold shoulder. That is something that has always got under my skin. Since Fox didn't seem to be the type to resort to gratuitous violence unless pushed to a very high breaking point (like learning that Joel was King.)
Even when they were friends, Fox didn't seem to like Bino's worst qualities. He was the one that beat up Bino when his prank on King clearly upset the Corgi. I think they were only friends because even if Rick didn't intend for it to be the case, Fox and Bino are actually the only dogs that were shown to hate cats in the neighborhood, everyone else was kinda neutral on them, with some like Peanut, Fido, and Joey really liking them. I think it's a little bit of King rubbing off on him in part, but Fox has a big tendency to let his feelings get to him, and they often blind him from the obvious. Loyalty to Bino made him not see their friendship made no sense, crush on Sasha likely contributed to him not thinking others would realize she's innocent, and let's not forget that his feelings on cats has made his relationship with Fido a bit strained. There are likely more examples, but I think you get my point